Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hi there law thread. I'm starting law school in the fall. I'm not paying for school and have more than enough GI bill to do one of my schools dual programs. I'm thinking about getting an MS in economics along with my JD. What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

woozle wuzzle posted:

^^ I've filed bankruptcy for a lot of nurses if that counts :P Creditors seem to like garnishing them.

Everyone I knew that did dual programs with their JD were all happy at first, then in year 2 were ready to commit suicide.

It depends on what you wanna do after you graduate. Will the MS help you? Will the JD help you? For most jobs, one of those degrees will be dead weight. Figure out what job you want, and just get the degree for that.

I've got a few different options available for me when I'm done. I'm on disability amongst other things so money isn't a huge issue to me. I've already got a BS in economics. I figure that I'd have more options opened up with the dual degree but I really don't know.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

woozle wuzzle posted:

Oh sweet jesus.

I'm too tired to yell at you properly, dude. But you're loving nuts. JD does not "open doors" or whatever unless you're an actual lawyer. Same with banking & MS in economics. Unless you're gunning for a specific niche position that requires both (which you aren't), then instead you're just a watered down person that's less employable in either field than a person with a single degree. Somebody else yell at him please, I'm going to bed.

I know I'm being a bit nebulous at this point. Really a big part of it is using up all of my GI benefits that I won't with just a JD or an MS alone. It's not something I'm going to do if I can't find a way to make it really work, though. Hence my asking.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

burf posted:

I have an MA in economics and I'm in my 2nd year of law school.

As far as I can tell, the MA in economics is absolutely useless to me career-wise. I mean, I know a bunch of poo poo about statistics now, but so far I haven't seen any practical application for my masters in a) law school, or b) my summer job.

I like to think that it helped me get a scholarship and land a continuing summer job (which will hopefully lead to an articling position), but deep down I know that the econ degree is going to be completely useless to basically anything I do as a lawyer.

Pick one or the other, and stick with it. Whichever one you think is more likely to get you a job. I don't know how the market is for econ grads in the US, so I can't really talk about it, but you know how the market is for law grads down there.

Thanks. That's something tangible. I appreciate your input.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Monaghan posted:

I had no idea that people in Canada have tried to pull the whole "sovereign citizen" thing.

everyone should read this judgment, because it owns. Also read the footnotes.

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/oncj/doc/2013/2013oncj160/2013oncj160.pdf

That was utterly magnificent.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I love the bitterness and hopelessness in here. It really makes me feel at home coming from the SWO community in the Navy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This thread has got me reading more about sovereigns and holy poo poo, those guys are nuts. I feel bad for the people that have to deal with them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah, they have an odd set of core beliefs that seem to be common amongst all the varying groups. They think the 14th amendment signalled a change in the government to a second hidden constitution by making everyone US citizens instead of citizens of their respective state. They think the US went bankrupt in 1935 when it switched from the gold standard and US citizens are now the collateral used for loans. Your SS# is your bank account number at the treasury dept set up under your name in all caps. JOHN DOE isn't a person, but is just an account that they think can be used to pay of debts.

It's loving kooky.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CaptainScraps posted:

One gun, one bullet. That's all you need.

Two bullets. The second is just incase the first doesn't work.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I come from a hosed up enough family and have dealt with so much worse family drama in 7 years in the navy the absolute last thing I would want to do when I get done with law school is jump into family law. gently caress that noise.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Unemployed? Quite possibly. Broke, not necessarily. He has the same thing I got going for me, that sweet sweet government teet. I can't say whether it will be good or not because I just don't know. Broke, though, is a little bit different. He'll be getting paid to go to law school rather than paying for it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The more I read this thread the more I feel like I've made a good choice with law school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soothing Vapors posted:

No, if I remember right he's a special snowflake who was looking forward to joining us because he thinks we are some sort of ~honorable fraternity of damaged souls~ instead of a sad menagerie of bitter, degenerate alcoholics who hate ourselves and each other

Nah, I'm not a special snowflake in the least. I just sit here and read this stuff, and it sounds a lot like the type of bitching I'm used to hearing from people in my current and soon to be former occupation. Long hours, lovely work, mountains of paperwork, digging through obscure documents to find one line to support your point, excessive drinking, etc.

I fully get that it's poo poo, but the parts that people say are worst are things that I'm already used to or that I actually kindof like in a way. Besides, I'm getting paid to go to school. I have no delusions of getting rich being a lawyer or even getting a job right away. It doesn't matter if I do because I'm already disabled and get paid monthly regardless.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

...just because they couldn't remember theirs, or because they're undocumented?

They're freemen on the land.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You'll always find some places, regardless of industry, that don't care for notice. As soon as you give it, you're cut. However, the simple fact that you gave notice means they can't blackball you in the future for that reason. Nobody wants to hire someone that will just quit without notice. Always give two weeks. Always prepare to not work a day over those two weeks.

Either let your new job know you might be available early or have enough saved that you can go without income for the time between giving notice and starting the new job.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

For clarification, you're talking about billable hours, correct? How many hours would you say you work for each billable hour? Like are you working 1.5 actual hours for each billable hour?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Everyone's a special little snowflake, myself included. No one likes to think that they're wrong. Everyone thinks they've planned it or know what's going to happen so there's no way they could be wrong. To challenge that, especially if you turn it on it's head entirely, can be hard to take for some people.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

wacko_- posted:

Gonna hit 220 hours this month. Thank you AIA, specifically inter partes review. And one litigious enemy of the client.

I cooked more when I was an Examiner though. I'm eating a frozen dinner right now because I'm too tired to go eat at the few ok restaurants nearby. Ballin.

So that's about 50 billable hours a week which comes out to something like 60-70/week of actual work, right? I've been trying to figure out the exact ratio for a while now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TenementFunster posted:

Where is the option for "actively undermines society both domestically and abroad"? Lawyers are scum, but troop worship makes me want to loving puke.

As a quick aside, if you haven't had a chance to tell Neil good job, you should.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TenementFunster posted:

Neil did a great job, you loving ingrate.

That's the first time I've seen that. It's glorious.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Kine buds brah

Shoots brah get dat pakalolo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida is awesome for a lot of stuff. Hell, the sheriff of Wakulla county back in 2009 had a hit and run DUI where his only punishment was that he had to pay for damages to the vehicle that some mom and her son were in and that he not drink for something like 6 months. Did he have to report to anyone on his drinking? Nope. The judge knew him and his neighbors and said the neighbors were more than enough to keep him honest.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Abugadu posted:

One, but I'm too tired to figure out how to post it.

You have plat. You can just attach it to your post. Or you can grab the imgur app.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's like sovereign citizens but with bitcoin!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Law school starts tomorrow, and I'm apparently doing things wrong already. They accidentally gave me an extra $2000 scholarships they weren't supposed to, so I let them know. Also some of my classmates couldn't open the syllabus (yay wordperfect) or didn't have some of the readings. They all acted like it was something crazy that I actually shared my stuff with them instead of guarding everything like state secrets.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mikeraskol posted:

Just remember that these are your future co-workers. So when you hate all of them about 10 days into the semester, welcome to the rest of your life.

I've spent some time with a good number of them already. They seem alright. I am one of the oldest in the class, though. Half of them call me Mr. Lastname. We are going over the Stambovsky v. Ackley in property tomorrow. I've always enjoyed that case.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mattavist posted:

Congrats, you're the gunner.

Yeah, that doesn't seem like me. I just like anything that includes "as a matter of law, the house is haunted." I'm way too lazy otherwise.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So when is law school supposed to get hard? Next week will be one month down in class. People are saying they're spending each night buried in studying or spending their entire weekend reading. I'm just doing my reading/briefings in the morning before class and I seem like I'm doing well in the actual class based upon discussion.

What am I missing? Is it really not all that difficult to do? Are the bulk of my classmates just freaking out and going way above and beyond? I know I'm idiot because I'm going to law school, but this seriously doesn't seem like much at all to stress about. I feel like I missed something somewhere because I seem to be one of the few that isn't spending each hour of my nights reading the same cases over and over again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thanks. I just didn't get what all the hub bub was about.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Have you tried going down on it?

joat mon posted:

He was in the Navy, so he would have been trained for that.

I couldn't have said it any better.

It does make sense that these people would be the ones that lived in the library during undergrad which would explain a lot. I'm glad I'm not losing my mind.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SlyFrog posted:

Also understand that everyone has had different academic backgrounds.

I went to an undergrad institution whose curriculum and reading load was quite severe. By that standard, law school was actually an easier time, but that wasn't the case for most people I think.

The majority of my fellow students were either poly sci or economics majors. Quite a bit from FSU. I got my BS in eco back in 2010 from FSU. I doubt the curriculum has changed a lot since then, but there wasn't a dearth of reading.

If anything, dealing with navy instructions, memos, and other issuances probably has a much larger impact. I've been buried in legal documents of a sort as a part of my life for long enough that it's not too difficult to digest them.

Unamuno posted:

When you realize you have a -90% ROI on the biggest financial decision of your life.

I'm getting paid to go to law school, not the other way around. So really I'm just being a bum and forestalling life for a bit longer so I can continue to be irresponsible.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I feel you. I'm just glad to have free time again. I got a puppy to celebrate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MoFauxHawk posted:

This also makes law school much easier. Is it a scholarship+stipend or is an employer paying? Or a rich relative.

Post 9-11 GI bill. Hence the Welfare Queen tag.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

HiddenReplaced posted:

Which Star Trek?

Plato's Children

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Arcturas posted:

Hawaii would probably be similar, too, though the temperature's about ten or twenty degrees higher than you'd like all the time.

(But seriously, California is a nice place to live. It's just pricey, overcrowded, and smoggy unless you live far from a metropolitan center)

Unless you're on an island other than Oahu, don't move to Hawaii. Oahu is one of the worst places to live in America. lovely traffic, stupidly expensive, dickhead locals, and a bunch of dumb marines/sailors/soldiers. The natives are actually cool as poo poo, but less than 10% of the population is actual native.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just heard in the hallway on my way to class.

quote:

You know, for as much as we're paying for this, I thought we would get more.

Three of my four classes only have a final exam for the grade. I've done some practice tests and been ok. All the teachers have said just write something at all that's been discussed in class and you'll pass. So many people are still "freaking out" about how much work we have to do or how hard law school is. I keep trying to tell them to relax and take it easy. We'll see how I do at the end of the semester. I think I'll end up in the middle of the pack, but I'm definitely not stressing very much. I'm thinking about a part time job because I've just got too much free time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TenementFunster posted:

A PART-TIME JOB?! aren't you supposed to be "disabled," you malingering piece of poo poo?

VA compensation isn't the same as SS disability. It comes regardless of other employment and is tax free. John McCain collects VA disability compensation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm at FSU, which while not t14, is tier 1 and in the top 25 schools annually (best in Florida) for JD required jobs after school. I'm not saying they don't need to work. Just that stress is bad, and they should breathe once in a while. This is the most free time they'll have for quite some time. It isn't healthy to bury yourself in stress. Sometimes you just need to go play with a dog.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 28, 2013

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah I don't go to class under the influence. That would just be silly. But I can see your point. I'm really not too preachy, and there are people here who agree with me. I just find the people going nuts over what hasn't really been any larger a course load than undergrad humorous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I totally understand where you guys are coming from. I guess I'm kindof a dick. I don't mean to be, so it's nice to hear when I am so that I can work to correct it.

I'm just enjoying life for the first time in a long time and want to share the chill.