Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
My wife and I are spending the evening playing a LOST drinking game. This is her fIrst time through the series, which is a little annoying for me since I have to deal with 1000 questions each episode, but it's okay. Anyway, we're now on Stranger in a Strange Land. As soon as Jack forced whoever to tattoo him my wife goes "ugh, I hope he gets his rear end kicked."

She's pretty good at this.

Edit: I forgot the van episode is the next episode! That makes that terrible episode totally worth it!

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Lost has a good habit of following really bad episodes with really good ones. I was about ready to quit on the show when Charlie tried to baptise Claire's baby, but I figured I'd give it one more episode and the next one was so good I stuck with it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Any been following the Cancer Gets Lost auction? Some big sales , drat.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I browsed it yesterday a bit, saw a bunch of awesome but crazy expensive things.

In other news, Josh Holloway was apparently cast in Carlton Cuse's new upcoming scifi show "Colony". Hopefully it's slightly better than his Intelligence appearance >_>

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Merauder posted:

I browsed it yesterday a bit, saw a bunch of awesome but crazy expensive things.

In other news, Josh Holloway was apparently cast in Carlton Cuse's new upcoming scifi show "Colony". Hopefully it's slightly better than his Intelligence appearance >_>

Yeah, hopefully. It's not so much that Intelligence was THAT bad, it just wasn't very good if that makes sense.

E: If that new hospital show doesn't work out for Ken Leung I would watch the poo poo out of a buddy cop show with those two, which were one of the highlights of the sideways universe imho.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 28, 2014

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Mr. Eko is going to be on Game of Thrones. :toot:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So why doesn't Desmond remember meeting Faraday at Oxford when Daniel bangs on the door of the Hatch until Desmond opens it?

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

Sub Rosa posted:

So why doesn't Desmond remember meeting Faraday at Oxford when Daniel bangs on the door of the Hatch until Desmond opens it?

Whatever happened, happened.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Desmond Hume has become unstuck in time.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

grilldos posted:

Desmond Hume has become unstuck in time.

This.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
And here I thought we had finally let go.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So it goes.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Desmond posted:

And here I thought we had finally let go.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

Desmond's physical chronology and temporal chronology aren't in sync. While Desmond was physically at Oxford with Faraday in the 90s, he doesn't "remember" it until 2004. Same with Desmond not remembering the encounter with Faraday outside the Hatch until it happens concurrently on the time-warping Island in season 5, when his consciousness catches up and he remembers it in a dream.

But to emphasize, he's not remembering these things, his consciousness moves through time independent of his body.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Steve Higginson posted:

Whatever happened, happened.

FrensaGeran posted:

But to emphasize, he's not remembering these things, his consciousness moves through time independent of his body.

I don't understand how this reconciles with Flashes Before Your Eyes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sub Rosa posted:

I'm not sure that Flashes Before Your Eyes reconciles with anything else the show does. The version of Eloise that we're privy to in that episode doesn't seem to be remotely the same person that we see in later seasons, or at least that's always been my take.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Sub Rosa posted:

It doesn't. Flashes before your eyes seems to use a different mechanism. Its possible that flashes before your eyes either a subconscious experience or something similar to the meeting place. Either way the show had to establish the ground rules of "whatever happened, happens."

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

But in 316 while in the Lamp Post Desmond blames Eloise for him wasting four years of his life because he believed her when she told him going to the island was his purpose. And she nods. So it really happened, and it wasn't some blacked out period in his memory.

So I also wouldn't presume that the period of time that Desmond meets Daniel would be blacked out in his memory either.

Maybe the show is just inconsistent and it's a matter of choosing your inconsistency.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

When Past Desmond blacks out it's because Future Desmond has come back and taken over. Past Desmond doesn't remember what happens during that time because he's not there any more, it's Future Desmond who's experiencing those events, and he remembers them when he goes back to the future.

I'm guessing Desmond told Daniel about his encounter with Eloise at some point, Eloise read it in his notebook, and she made sure it happened as it was "supposed" to, without really understanding what she was saying. Like the whole thing between Richard and Locke.

I haven't watched in ages, sorry if I'm way off the mark!

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

You guys are going to make me bust out my blu rays for a rewatch.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/01/a-writer-from-lost-came-forward-and-admitted-to-what-we-knew-all-along/

quote:

We had an expression in the room and which was, “No Polar Bears,” which was a reference to Lost. I had friends that were writing on Lost, I can’t say who they were. And I was watching football with one of them and I was telling them how much I loved the show…and I’m like, “How are you going to pay all this stuff off?” And he looked at me and goes, “We’re not.” And I go, “What do you mean you’re not?” He said, “We literally just think of the weirdest most f*cked up thing and write it and we’re never going to pay it off.” And I look at him and I’m like, “That’s such bullshi*t! You are completely f*cking with the audience.” I want to bring a class-action lawsuit on behalf of everyone who watched Lost all those years. Nina Hartley jerked people off less that Lost did.
Well "yeah", and/or "duh".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Their expression should probably refer to something that didn't pay off and not something that did. Also lol at "bullshi*t"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Whenever someone says "Lost sucked because they just made it up as they went along!" I hear "I'm a dumb idiot child who doesn't know how television is made."

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Yep. And same for anyone saying that everything was planned from the start and the writers knew how to answer all the mysteries they created.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tempo 119 posted:

When Past Desmond blacks out it's because Future Desmond has come back and taken over. Past Desmond doesn't remember what happens during that time because he's not there any more, it's Future Desmond who's experiencing those events, and he remembers them when he goes back to the future.

I'm guessing Desmond told Daniel about his encounter with Eloise at some point, Eloise read it in his notebook, and she made sure it happened as it was "supposed" to, without really understanding what she was saying. Like the whole thing between Richard and Locke.

I haven't watched in ages, sorry if I'm way off the mark!

Yes, this is what happened. Interview with Damon Lindelof:

"And the coolest thing about consciousness time travel is, you know, you're sort of a slave to your memory. So if Desmond travels back in time and he remembers that a certain team beat another team in a football game, and then something different happens, we're hinting at the idea that the future has changed, when in fact he just remembered it wrong, which is kinda cool for us."

In other words, it's just another instance of "what happened, happened" no different than any of the other Desmond time travel things. Nothing special was happening. At the end of the sequence, he gets hit in the head with a bat in a pub, and his consciousness travels back to the present.

He's left unconscious on the floor of a bar, so when he wakes up with a pounding headache and only very vague memories, that seems like it makes sense.

There might be some extremely tiny inconsistencies between this time travel and his other mental time travel, but you can either chalk that up to "the writers hadn't developed it fully yet" or "his head was pressed up against the exploding swan energy at the time" depending on what kind of explanation you're looking for.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You have to have a show written and sat on for years in advance for that to work. Look at Carnival. Lost was not developed in that way.

And if the creators really had such a low opinion about the show and its fans why did they push so hard for an end date?

Lost is a drama series in a mystery setting. The show worked because of the drama. If it was a straight forward mystery show it would be trash like those other network shows that try to copy it. Getting mysteries with no answers and the complexities that comes with dealing with that is one of the shows bigger dramatic themes. People wanted the show to be something that it's not and can't accept it for what it is.

Ausmund fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 21, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The point a lot of fans has is that the plot doesn't need to be in stone from the pilot, but when it introduces a mystery, the writers should have some vague idea of how it resolves itself (even if they later choose to do something different). Its not about having Hurwitz-esque diagrams plotting out every single minute of the series, but only putting in things you intend to pay off in the future.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Irish Joe posted:

The point a lot of fans has is that the plot doesn't need to be in stone from the pilot, but when it introduces a mystery, the writers should have some vague idea of how it resolves itself (even if they later choose to do something different). Its not about having Hurwitz-esque diagrams plotting out every single minute of the series, but only putting in things you intend to pay off in the future.

The show should have been like a puzzle, where the edges are done first and it works it's way inward. Instead edges were completed, then pieces were taken away - then new edges were made.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Whenever you introduce a hatch, make sure you know what's inside first.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Josh Holloway is getting a new show written by Carlton Cuse. Hopefully it's better than Intelligence was.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm finding that Lost Chrono is better than Chronologically Lost, quality-wise. LC makes a point to include deleted scenes & webisodes, tries to structure episodes, and puts the Desmond flashes where they're supposed to be. CL's presentation is cooler with the split-screens, but a lot of dialogue gets drowned out that way. If anything, LC is best if you want to learn more about the show from a chronological edit, CL is best if you've already watched LC and want a stylish rewatch so you can see all sides of a scene happening at once.

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

sticklefifer posted:

I'm finding that Lost Chrono is better than Chronologically Lost, quality-wise. LC makes a point to include deleted scenes & webisodes, tries to structure episodes, and puts the Desmond flashes where they're supposed to be. CL's presentation is cooler with the split-screens, but a lot of dialogue gets drowned out that way. If anything, LC is best if you want to learn more about the show from a chronological edit, CL is best if you've already watched LC and want a stylish rewatch so you can see all sides of a scene happening at once.

Aw poo poo, I'm going to have to watch this now, aren't I?

I thought I remembered there being some webisodes in CL when I watched it. Was it just Missing Pieces? I guess it'd be better to not have the overlap of scenes so you can tell what's going on during the crash of 815 anyway.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I thought the crash of 815 was cool, but the bit later on when Richard is talking to time-travelling Locke there's two separate scenes with people talking and they're both unintelligible. I'd like to give Lost Chrono a try though, separate scenes sounds cool. And Desmond's flashback being in the wrong place bugged me.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Like most things on the internet, I guess, I find it odd how the opinion of Lost has changed over time. It was once solid gold, and now few good words can be found for it.

I, for one, still think it was one of the best shows ever on TV.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Whenever someone says "Lost sucked because they just made it up as they went along!" I hear "I'm a dumb idiot child who doesn't know how television is made."

No-one said that though. He said it sucked because they were just thinking up weird poo poo with no idea of how to resolve it, which is why the last season was such horrible mush. All TV shows get made up as they go along, but generally when writers introduce a mystery they have some idea of how they will resolve it down the track, and not "Lets throw a Polar Bear in because it will totally make people wonder what the hell is going on". It was Losts biggest failing because as much as people want to harp on about how it was all about the characters, a lot hinged on the reason for their journey being a good one, it wasn't and it lost a huge amount of emotional impact because it turns out the characters and the audience were just being jerked around for 5 years.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Zahki posted:

No-one said that though. He said it sucked because they were just thinking up weird poo poo with no idea of how to resolve it, which is why the last season was such horrible mush. All TV shows get made up as they go along, but generally when writers introduce a mystery they have some idea of how they will resolve it down the track, and not "Lets throw a Polar Bear in because it will totally make people wonder what the hell is going on". It was Losts biggest failing because as much as people want to harp on about how it was all about the characters, a lot hinged on the reason for their journey being a good one, it wasn't and it lost a huge amount of emotional impact because it turns out the characters and the audience were just being jerked around for 5 years.

It's funny because How I Met Your Mother - went about their show a completely DIFFERENT way, but had similar problems in the end.

Without getting into spoiler territory, due to the nature of the show Mother would introduce mysteries and foreshadow events, and would eventually resolve and get back to nearly every single one - even if it was years later. At the end of season 2, the show touted itself as not only KNOWING the ending of the show-- but also FILMED IT.

7 Years later Season 9 comes. The final season is in fact really clever and arguably the best one to come around in a while... unfortunately the show still had to stick with it's original ending it shot 7 years ago- and the show had evolved past that. The ending was "kept" and on the whole it felt very much like a slap in the face.

TV shows change over years. The problem with Lost was that it's answer wasn't satisfying- but the issue whether it was planned or not is NOT the problem. Mother stuck with it's plan and still failed. Breaking Bad is the one show I can recall where I know a vague idea was had of where it was going and the show grew into that. It worked perfectly.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

redshirt posted:

Like most things on the internet, I guess, I find it odd how the opinion of Lost has changed over time. It was once solid gold, and now few good words can be found for it.

I, for one, still think it was one of the best shows ever on TV.

Agreed, and I think even the biggest Lost fans will openly admit that it was a very flawed show. But it's baffling to me that everyone now totally dismisses this highly ambitious show because they didn't like how it turned out, meanwhile we get 10 new generic cop/crime dramas and sitcoms every year and no one has an opinion one way or another and they just fade away.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Agreed, and I think even the biggest Lost fans will openly admit that it was a very flawed show. But it's baffling to me that everyone now totally dismisses this highly ambitious show because they didn't like how it turned out, meanwhile we get 10 new generic cop/crime dramas and sitcoms every year and no one has an opinion one way or another and they just fade away.

I would admit no such thing. How is it in any way a flawed show? It's literally fantastic for 6 seasons.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress sake man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I just hope that one day The Walking Dead will be more reviled than LOST is now.

• Locked thread