Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Rewatching with a newbie too (my 3rd time through). About 3/4 of the way through season 5, she has the opposite opinion from a lot of critics I've heard: "Nothing happens" in seasons 1 and 2, and she didn't care about most characters, but from S3 onward it's consistently more interesting, she's invested in almost everyone, and often wants to watch the next episode immediately. Like most people though, she agrees Kate is useless and screws everything up.

I've held off on revealing major spoilers, but part of getting her into the show was my agreement that if she asks a question, I'll answer yes/no, or sometimes "you're on the right track" or "you find out by the end of this episode". She's figured out quite a bit ahead of time. She realized there were special electromagnetic properties of the island WAY early, and in season 1 she called that the monster could shapeshift into people/animals even before we saw him as smoke. Also, her name for the monster is "Wizard Predator" since it's a mystical being and because in most of season 1 it was invisible in the jungle, so the name stuck.

Raxivace posted:

Question for people that have recently rewatched or are rewatching with newbies:
1) What are the things the newbies are asking or talking about the most?

-She asks a lot of questions about Jacob, and likes spotting character connections. She's really fascinated with how complex of a character Ben is, and how Michael Emerson portrays him. She'd also eventually like to rewatch it chronologically someday.

2) What did they think or know about the series before starting it?

-Not much at all. Mostly things I've said about it. She thought it was going to be like a dramatized Survivor.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, my mum's not a fan of Kate either. She likes Sayid and Hurley so far but thinks Locke isn't who he says he is and he's bad in some way. As for the mysteries of the show, no real interest in the monster or the whispering. She seems far more fixated on Ethan's origins. I can't wait for when Ben shows up. But again, we're only about 2/3rds of the way through season 1 so we've seen Rousseau and Ethan, and Claire has been kidnapped and the hatch has been revealed, but nothing too out there has happened.

Octy fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 30, 2016

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, we're coming to the end of the show, being about halfway through season 6. Initially, my mum believed the Island itself was a psychological experiment conducted by an entity that wasn't the Others or Dharma, but now we've seen Jacob and old Smokey so I think that view has changed. I kind of think she's just along for the ride rather than actively forming theories at this point. Her thoughts about the show have tended more towards the treatment of characters instead of plot, anyway, namely:

1. The writers kind of hosed over Sayid's character after season 3. He's just boring now.

2. You can't help but like Ben despite all he's done.

3. Desmond is the best and handsomest character and hopefully he survives.

I was still bored for the first half of seasons 2 and 3, but my mum had no complaint and has always been sufficiently intrigued to binge watch those episodes. She's invested in all the characters except Michael (because he was an idiot) and maybe Kate (because she's a manipulative idiot and poor Sawyer). Frankly, it's hard not to care about the cast. My mum actually remembers all their names and backstories which is not very usual for her. Anyway, we're going slowly now but it'll all be over this time next week. :(

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Octy posted:

Well, we're coming to the end of the show, being about halfway through season 6. Initially, my mum believed the Island itself was a psychological experiment conducted by an entity that wasn't the Others or Dharma, but now we've seen Jacob and old Smokey so I think that view has changed. I kind of think she's just along for the ride rather than actively forming theories at this point. Her thoughts about the show have tended more towards the treatment of characters instead of plot, anyway, namely:

1. The writers kind of hosed over Sayid's character after season 3. He's just boring now.

I was still bored for the first half of seasons 2 and 3, but my mum had no complaint and has always been sufficiently intrigued to binge watch those episodes. She's invested in all the characters except Michael (because he was an idiot) and maybe Kate (because she's a manipulative idiot and poor Sawyer). Frankly, it's hard not to care about the cast. My mum actually remembers all their names and backstories which is not very usual for her. Anyway, we're going slowly now but it'll all be over this time next week. :(

Your mom has a good grasp on it.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I have a coworker who still believes they were all dead all along. Also he has no memory of that dumb thing they aired that confused people after the finale. This is just the conclusion he has come to. I have carefully explained why that is not the case to no avail. It's like talking to an alex jones person when you are a scientist who has studied a thing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How does he make sense of the scene in the finale where Jack's dad explains the afterlife?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Octy posted:

Agreedo to all three.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I have no idea how someone could parse the dialogue in the scene between Jack and Christian and still come to the conclusion that the island wasn't real. They literally explain it in the finale.

Octy posted:

Well, we're coming to the end of the show, being about halfway through season 6. Initially, my mum believed the Island itself was a psychological experiment conducted by an entity that wasn't the Others or Dharma, but now we've seen Jacob and old Smokey so I think that view has changed.

We've completed the series, and the newbie I was watching with thought most of S6 was unnecessary (which is fair - the afterlife world is mostly padding and the Temple stuff really slows down the plot) but liked S5 the best, especially the time-skipping (my personal favorite is the latter half of S3). She felt the ending made sense just fine though it was a little dumb, but she wasn't starved for answers or anything. Her predominant theory all the way from the first season was that it was a group therapy experiment the whole time, which based on what Ghost Jacob says toward the end is actually pretty accurate - they didn't come from good happy lives, he brought them to the island to let go. Of course there's more to it, but it's one of the reasons why they're there. All in all I think she thought the journey was better than the answers, and character-wise her favorite was Ben and least favorite was Kate: Ben is complex and fascinating, Kate is one-note and the only useful thing she ever does in the whole series is shoot SmokeyLocke in the back. Also, I realized that Ben gets his rear end kicked at least once every season, sometimes several, from the time he's introduced.

Rewatching all the way through made me realize something: Locke wasn't just a sucker, his role was always to get people where they needed to be, from the moment he arrived on the island until his death. So it's interesting that once Desmond becomes enlightened via Widmore's EM box in S6, he begins fulfilling the role Locke had in life - and the first person he tries to make understand is Locke, by running him down. I hadn't picked up on that before.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 28, 2016

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
He really was a farmer rather than a hunter, in that he plants the seeds that later grow into end game motivations and ideas for the characters. Especially for Jack. I mean, he gets in situations where he gets used and hosed over, but at least he was willing to do the things he was afraid of doing, like leaving the island and dying, just for the hope of saving his friends.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Octy posted:

Frankly, it's hard not to care about the cast. My mum actually remembers all their names and backstories which is not very usual for her. Anyway, we're going slowly now but it'll all be over this time next week. :(

I rewatched the show with my mom two summers ago, she had never seen it. It was a great experience. She really liked Hurley, Sayid and Charlie. Agree that they fumbled Sayid badly later on in the show.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I've been wanting to rewatch it but
I have a feeling with as many good tv shows they have now and fewer episodes it'll be a slog to watch the earlier seasons. How's it feel recently?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
The earlier seasons have aged quite well. Season 1 in particular. Its influence on modern television is fairly apparent in a way that keeps it feeling current.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

I've been wanting to rewatch it but
I have a feeling with as many good tv shows they have now and fewer episodes it'll be a slog to watch the earlier seasons. How's it feel recently?

There certainly are certain characters in later seasons who keep repeating the same story over and over again. Kate's is particularly bad. And that big, diverse cast that was present in the first season really gets whittled down to a bunch of mostly white people,.

I think season 1 and season 2 are mostly solid. Even the episodes where nothing of note happens in the overall story, you're still exploring characters for the first time so it is worth watching. I know in a recent re-watch, I kind of lost interest in late season 3 or early season four.

It is something I kind of think about, what if Lost was made in the "modern" age of TV for a NetFlix or HBO where they could do a 50-55 minute episode, and do 10-13 of those. It'd be an interesting alternate version of the story, that's for sure. But I don't think a modern show would keep up the large cast.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, on my recent rewatch of the show, which I had not done completely since it ended in 2010, my one big issue with it was the amount of filler/fluff in seasons 2 and especially 3 where you're on some characters' 5th or 6th flashback episode and their flashbacks are treading unnecessary past details (Locke and the pot farm?). Despite this, season 3 might still be my favorite.

Overall though, the ability to binge watch the show removes a lot of the frustrations people have with it. Everyone I've suggested it to who didn't watch it originally but binge watched on Netflix enjoyed it.

I've probably said this before in this thread, but I'd love to see what they could do with a "director's cut" of the show. It could probably be condensed from 120 episodes down to ~80 in addition to reworking some things for coherency.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I still want another show with Ben/Hurley/Walt running the island and doing crazy poo poo :mad:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Rose and Bernard really have the best story in the series.

"We just wanted to get back to each other. Now gently caress all you crazy people and your adventures, we're gonna be island hippies."

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, it's over. No tears for Sayid, but certainly for Sun and Jin and their long, dragged out deaths (was there any mention of who's going to look after Ji Yeon?). Mum mostly got that the flash sideways was purgatory, but was still momentarily confused about when they all died. I think I was too on my first watch, when I made a dumb post about it in this thread an hour after the finale.

Now we're going to try out Person of Interest which will be a first for both of us. Michael Emerson is the obvious drawcard.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Who is meant to take care of Ji Yeon now in unclear, which is partly why I don't really like that ending for those characters (On top of the racial thing notthegoatseguy mentioned).

It's just a bit disappointing too since so much of the show is dedicated to criticizing crappy fathers AND Sun's pregnancy was a huge part of both her and her husband's story...and then Jin more or less chooses suicide instead of his daughter. Like I get it's supposed to be a romantic gesture of him to stay with his drowning wife so they can be together in death, but leaving your only child behind parent-less is still pretty bad. The FSW would have been a good and fairly natural way to address this somehow (Perhaps Ji Yeon could have confronted him there about this), but nothing like that happens unfortunately.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Anyone score anything from the Cancer Gets Lost auction? They had some cool stuff but I decided to sit this one out since I went a little nutty at the last one.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Octy posted:

Well, it's over. No tears for Sayid, but certainly for Sun and Jin and their long, dragged out deaths (was there any mention of who's going to look after Ji Yeon?). Mum mostly got that the flash sideways was purgatory, but was still momentarily confused about when they all died. I think I was too on my first watch, when I made a dumb post about it in this thread an hour after the finale.

I just make anyone who's confused rewatch Christian's speech to Jack. He literally says some died before him and some died long after him, he says the island happened and was the most important part of their lives, and he explains what the alternate world they're in is. It's all there, maybe it was just too much for people to absorb at once?

Sun mentions that Ji Yeon is with her mother, though I don't remember exactly when but I'm pretty sure she tells Kate. So whatever happens to Paik Industries it's a fair bet that Ji Yeon is the sole heir. I like to think when Aaron and Ji Yeon grow up they're going to be fighting over control of the island too, or at least sought out by Hurley, Ben, and Walt.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Anybody here attending the Giacchino concerts in LA? https://www.fordtheatres.org/calendar/we-have-go-back-lost-concert

I wasn't able to make it to both, but am driving up for the one tonight. Pretty goddamn excited. There's a bunch of posts on various social media from last night's event under the #WeHaveToGoBack hashtag.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Merauder posted:

Anybody here attending the Giacchino concerts in LA? https://www.fordtheatres.org/calendar/we-have-go-back-lost-concert

I wasn't able to make it to both, but am driving up for the one tonight. Pretty goddamn excited. There's a bunch of posts on various social media from last night's event under the #WeHaveToGoBack hashtag.

So jealous. Sonya Walger was at the one last night. Please tell us about it!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
It was loving awesome.

Unfortunately Damon couldn't make it back from AUS where he's filming the end of Leftovers, but Carlton hosted solo again along with Giacchino, and a couple cast appearances. Keamy and Rousseau were both there, got to meet both briefly in the hand shake quick pleasantries and move along kind of way.

Show was about 2.5hrs in total, plus an audience Q&A with CC and MG before the performance started. Surprisingly good questions about Giacchino's creative processes and and the general experiences working on the show, and basically no shallow fan questions about mythology poo poo they likely wouldn't have answered anyway (CC actually did ixnay things like outrigger questions before they started though, so that might have been part of it).

Played pretty much all the major cues, which were about 1/3 each of stand alone performances, performances over scene montages, and performances directly over a scene (like the last minutes of The End, and the raft launch ).

Cast guests came on stage and read some stuff: Keamy read the script for Charlie's death scene, followed by performance of Life & Death. Rousseau read one of the fake letters written for the bottle that went on the raft- Nikki's, written to her mother. It was touching, then amusing when the signed name was read.

Really really great opportunity. Incredibly glad I went.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 24, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Merauder posted:

It was loving awesome.

Unfortunately Damon couldn't make it back from AUS where he's disliking the end of Leftovers, but Carlton hosted solo again along with Giacchino, and a couple cast appearances. Keanu and Rousseau were both there, got to meet both briefly in the hand shake quick pleasantries and move along kind of way.

Show was about 2.5hrs in total, plus an audience Q&A with CC and MG before the performance started. Surprisingly good questions about Giacchino's creative processes and and the general experiences working on the show, and basically no shallow fan questions about mythology poo poo they likely wouldn't have answered anyway (CC actually did ixnay things like outrigger questions before they started though, so that might have been part of it).

Played pretty much all the major cues, which were about 1/3 each of stand alone performances, performances over scene montages, and performances directly over a scene (like the last minutes of The End, and the raft launch ).

Cast guests came on stage and read some stuff: Key read the script for Charlie's death scene, followed by performance of Life & Death. Rousseau read one of the fake letters written for the bottle that went on the raft- Nikki's, written to her mother. It was touching, then amusing when the signed name was read.

Really really great opportunity. Incredibly glad I went.

!!! This sounded very cool. I fuckin love Giacchino's score. Thanks for sharing

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah for sure.

Also, just noticed my late night phone posted autocorrect fail: Damon is FINISHING the end of Leftovers, not disliking it. hah. Also, Keamy, not Keanu. Wow, it was late and I didn't notice any of that poo poo.

Also, apparently the actress who played Nadia was there, but I didn't get a chance to see/meet her. Too bad.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Last Chance posted:

!!! This sounded very cool. I fuckin love Giacchino's score. Thanks for sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Merauder posted:

Yeah for sure.

Also, just noticed my late night phone posted autocorrect fail: Damon is FINISHING the end of Leftovers, not disliking it. hah. Also, Keamy, not Keanu. Wow, it was late and I didn't notice any of that poo poo.

Also, apparently the actress who played Nadia was there, but I didn't get a chance to see/meet her. Too bad.

Yeah one of the cancer gets lost people tweeted about seeing her there.

• Locked thread