Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

BristolSOF fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

kuplagoobs posted:

If the Black Rock away team saw the flash, maybe they were time traveling.
When people traveled to and from the freighter in Season 4, they often traveled through time.
The helicopter with Desmond and Sayid went a few days forward in time, the doctor's body went back in time before washing up.

Maybe the Black Rock away team passed through the barrier and went to 2007.

But then they had to have 'passed back' through the barrier. And if the Black Rock claims to have been caught in the island's pull, then clearly they saw the island, meaning clearly they had already passed into the island's 'sphere of influence', making any physical time travel, especially such exact and reversible time travel, impossible.

I get what you're saying, but while I can abide a helicopter crossing the barrier and showing up LATER, I can't abide a rowboat crossing the barrier, showing up not a few hours later but over one hundred years later, and then re-crossing the barrier and returning to the exact week of 18whatever. This is all completely beside the point, since as I said earlier, the Black Rock had already entered the island.

e: I'll say this: it's probably the best way to plug that plot hole that I can think of. It only leads to further questions and contradicts known phenomena but I guess I'll take it.

Endless Trash fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 25, 2010

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

ApexAftermath posted:

I know it's kind of loving pathetic but whatever I guess. I get the feeling they were channeling Spielberg there and just didn't record one to "let the finale stand on it's own".

I get that mentality, but I still hate that poo poo. They did the same thing with The Sopranos. It's a SERIES FINALE- why not comment on it? You don't have to explain your ending or anything, but surely there's SOMETHING interesting to be said about the ending of an impactful series?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rocco posted:

I get that mentality, but I still hate that poo poo. They did the same thing with The Sopranos. It's a SERIES FINALE- why not comment on it? You don't have to explain your ending or anything, but surely there's SOMETHING interesting to be said about the ending of an impactful series?

They did commentary for the season 4 finale and got really bored halfway through. They both repeatedly mentioned that they would never do another multipart episode commentary again. It led to them doing things like explaining that any fans still listening to the commentary should kiss Carlton Cuse on the lips the next time they see him on the street to let him know that they made it through the entire commentary.

Still, they must have lots of interesting things to share.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Has anyone found the encyclopedia yet? I'm dying to get it.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Rocco posted:

I'm guessing they have a lot of this in the video features but still I love a commentary, and I really wanted one on the finale. I think there was enough going on to warrant one. Oh well maybe they will do one on the Lost 25th anniversary and make me rebuy the whole thing on whatever insane format is out at that time.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Has anyone found the encyclopedia yet? I'm dying to get it.

I'm going to hit Barnes and Nobles today and pick it up if it see it. If there is a desire for me to post pictures I'm sure I could do that for you guys.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 25, 2010

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ApexAftermath posted:

I'm going to hit Barnes and Nobles today and pick it up if it see it. If there is a desire for me to post pictures I'm sure I could do that for you guys.

I was there yesterday and they said they haven't got word on when it's going to ship since it's listed as "delayed". Not sure if it's a nationwide thing or not.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was there yesterday and they said they haven't got word on when it's going to ship since it's listed as "delayed". Not sure if it's a nationwide thing or not.

Well gently caress me you are correct. Amazon.com no longer lists a release date. It was originally the 24th. What the hell!

EDIT - http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2010/08/lost-encyclopedia-release-date-delayed.html

I feel better now I guess. If this means they are adding more "answers" then I'm all for it.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
Got the Complete Collection in the mail yesterday, and holy poo poo this thing is nuts. I was expecting a somewhat durable box set with the Blu-Rays inside, and the goodies just packaged along with it. It's actually a very well put together set neatly packaged together, and looks awesome sitting in the middle of your coffee table in front of the TV.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
What does everyone here feel the chances are of the box set ever coming to Costco at a reduced cost, and/or being discounted on Amazon? Like, in the next six months?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ApexAftermath posted:

I can assure you that whenever you do get it, pictures will be greatly appreciated.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DirtyRobot posted:

What does everyone here feel the chances are of the box set ever coming to Costco at a reduced cost, and/or being discounted on Amazon? Like, in the next six months?

Probably pretty good. I'd imagine amazon or deepdiscount will put it on sale for the Christmas season. They have for other series sets like Battlestar and Seinfeld and probably a lot more.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I thought Walt's job would be helping Micheal and possibly all of the other "trapped souls" off the island.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Walt is working as a janitor.

EDIT: as does Ben most of the time, both following in their fathers' footsteps. for the island.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The great thing about Lost is the huge cast they used. I love seeing one of the characters on a different program. Lately, I've been watching CSI: Las Vegas on Spike and I've caught Michael as a priest who murders a girl to exorcise a demon out of her and Juliette as a dying lawyer stuck in a wheelchair.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I can't wait to see Machete only because of Ana Lucia and Lapidus.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
What did you guys make of the new 12 minutes?

Was ok I guess, but it just reminded me how much cooler all the Dharma stuff was than the indiana jones poo poo of the 6th season. Also, we get Waaaaaaalt and a few cryptic things about him being special again. ALso, unbelievably, Hurleybird is mentioned hahaha

And it also made me miss Jack and Sawyer.

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.

kuplagoobs posted:

Put in the bonus disc and from top of the first menu, on "Letting Go", press left, left, up, right, down, right, and an Ankh lights up onscreen. Then press enter and it plays a long video explaining how to play the board game.

There are several more easter eggs on that disc.

...I just found where the bonus disk is.

:aaa:

Jesus Christ. This loving box set is the best thing ever.

kuplagoobs
May 20, 2003

I have to get this ham out of the oven.
I saw the box set at Best Buy for $149.
It's totally worth it. 36 discs ($4.13 per disc) and the best dvd packaging I've ever seen.

kuplagoobs fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 26, 2010

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Zimadori Zinger posted:

...I just found where the bonus disk is.

Curious, where is it? I read that you have to search for it but I'm waaay too poor to actually buy the box set and I still want to know :(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm a little shocked there's not been more discussion about the Dharma Food Drop Warehouse and Launch Facility. First - really? 2 guys working there for 20 years with no idea Dharma doesn't exist? Is Ben lying about Dharma? Who paid for all that food? What if one of the guys was sick, or on vacation? I could go on and on, but this poo poo needs to be discussed!. I mean, really?

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.

feedmyleg posted:

Curious, where is it? I read that you have to search for it but I'm waaay too poor to actually buy the box set and I still want to know :(

For anyone who really wants to search for it, don't mouse over. It's so worth finding out for yourself. For those curious:

When you open the top of the set, on the other side is a slightly 3D topographical layout of the island. If you shine the Dharma blacklight on it, you can see the donkey wheel in the very center with directional arrows going clockwise. You can actually turn the map itself clockwise, and it unlocks to reveal a little pocket underneath it where the bonus disk is kept.

It's funny because, I found the donkey wheel with the arrows and didn't think twice about the arrows. The map itself is pretty sturdy, you wouldn't think on first glance that it could move. Then it dawned on me, I twisted it and aaaagh it was awesome :)

redshirt posted:

I'm a little shocked there's not been more discussion about the Dharma Food Drop Warehouse and Launch Facility. First - really? 2 guys working there for 20 years with no idea Dharma doesn't exist? Is Ben lying about Dharma? Who paid for all that food? What if one of the guys was sick, or on vacation? I could go on and on, but this poo poo needs to be discussed!. I mean, really?

lamb SAUCE fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 26, 2010

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

I think the answer is that questions just lead to more questions, and the answers are always loving ridiculous after a point. Why not just enjoy Ben having a job he likes and enjoys that can help him redeem himself?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

I think the answer is that questions just lead to more questions, and the answers are always loving ridiculous after a point. Why not just enjoy Ben having a job he likes and enjoys that can help him redeem himself?

I like backstory. I can't help it. And sometimes all it takes is a line of dialogue, nothing major. Ben implied there were other facilities, so one assumes many more Dharma employees.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

They said the teletypes came from the Lamppost station so maybe Eloise was funding it and giving them their orders for some purpose she had. She knew about the Swan Station from Daniel's book and perhaps she knew that, while the Dharma Initiative may have been purged, the dead man's trigger was still hot and whoever was left alive needed food or else the trigger would get pulled.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FrensaGeran posted:

They said the teletypes came from the Lamppost station so maybe Eloise was funding it and giving them their orders for some purpose she had. She knew about the Swan Station from Daniel's book and perhaps she knew that, while the Dharma Initiative may have been purged, the dead man's trigger was still hot and whoever was left alive needed food or else the trigger would get pulled.

And what would have happened, really, if Desmond had not turned the failsafe? Hatch gets sucked in, Island gets sucked in? World?

If so, does this also mean Jack saved the day by dropping the nuke down the well in 1977?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is it ok to ask for a place I can view the Epilogue online or does that fall under :filez:?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it ok to ask for a place I can view the Epilogue online or does that fall under :filez:?

Yeah, I was going to say. I need to see this.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm not sure if it counts as files or not, so I'm definitely not going to tell you to :google: "new man in charge".

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

redshirt posted:

And what would have happened, really, if Desmond had not turned the failsafe? Hatch gets sucked in, Island gets sucked in? World?

If so, does this also mean Jack saved the day by dropping the nuke down the well in 1977?

Getting close to 'station breach' was witnessed twice: when Desmond was out killing Kelvin and when Locke smashed the computer. So if a near-breach can cause the entire island to shake violently, and is so powerful that it even momentarily disables the EM shroud that occults the island from view (remember Penny's Antarctic team detects it), you can extrapolate from that that an actual breach would do something far more destructive.

So yes, by Desmond sealing off the Source with the failsafe initiation, and Jack (and Juliet) sealing it off with a nuke, they saved the day.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I still think they should have made a half hour info dump in the form of Joop the Chimp explaining everything.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does anyone have a good picture of the Island map from the set? I can't find one online anywhere and I'm in the middle of a rewatch and would love an official reference to locations.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

feedmyleg posted:

Does anyone have a good picture of the Island map from the set? I can't find one online anywhere and I'm in the middle of a rewatch and would love an official reference to locations.

This is probably your best bet:

EDIT:

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Fan_maps

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100418082117/lostpedia/images/d/df/Rousseau_map2.jpg

Bobx66 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 26, 2010

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

I caved and bought it! It's sitting in an amazon box by my desk now; I'm looking forward to playing with all the goodies inside when I get home from work :3:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I found the Epilogue to be at best "wholly unnecessary" and at worst "catering to the whiners". While it's always great seeing more Lost the "answers" supplied were all either something I had extrapolated myself from the show's narrative (food drops, polar bears) or were things I really don't give a poo poo about (Hurley bird? Really?).

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Brocktoon posted:

I found the Epilogue to be at best "wholly unnecessary" and at worst "catering to the whiners". While it's always great seeing more Lost the "answers" supplied were all either something I had extrapolated myself from the show's narrative (food drops, polar bears) or were things I really don't give a poo poo about (Hurley bird? Really?).

Yeah, I wasn't too excited upon watching it, but I guess I'm just glad they did something, not that they had to do anything, really.

I think it was interesting to watch (mostly the Dharma video stuff, which I always found to be interesting), but it didn't really explain anything that I felt was important. Polar bears and food drops weren't really that high on my list of things I wanted explained.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I was just very surprised to see WAAAAAALT make an appearance. After the appearance in Season 5, I was sure that would be the last time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I thought it was great. What did you people expect, someone doing a lecture to camera explaining the nature of the electromagnetism?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

marktheando posted:

I thought it was great. What did you people expect, someone doing a lecture to camera explaining the nature of the electromagnetism?
Yeah, what the gently caress really. People were expecting too much from a 12 minute epilogue. Its more of a tipping the hat to the fans rather than a final chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Eh? The only criticism of it on this page is that it was unnecessary.

• Locked thread