Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
A couple of questions which I believe we can hash out fairly reasonable answers:

Who was in the other outrigger? The water bottles place the time travelers at some point after the Ajira flight landed. We know Widmore's people journeyed from the main island to Hydra island through some means, possibly using the outrigger boats. (I don't think they'd use the sub for this) During one of these trips, they opened fire on the time travelers.

What was MiB's name? "Samuel" was used in the casting call and early scripts, but it was eventually dropped by the writers, thinking it worked better if he remained nameless. There's a chance he may be given a name on the season DVD/BR release or in the upcoming book. If he remains nameless, it still works thematically.

Who built the Taweret statue, the Temple, the cork pedestal at the Source, etc.? At some point Egyptians made it to the island through some means. Unable to fully grasp the nature of many of the island EM related mysteries, they began to build monuments on the island. Time placement of this is up in the air, while early scripts say Jacob and his brother were around 50 AD, that was not shown on air and thus not canon until otherwise stated in some official medium. Meaning it could be at any point during the Roman era, either before or after the Egyptians arrived at the island. If Jacob/MiB were after the Egyptians, that may mean MiB is not the first smoke monster, as the Egyptians seemed to deify him in some of their engravings. This may have some basis since we know the Egyptians played some part in the stone work at the Source and we've seen skeletons down there. Since only the island protector can apparently show people the way to the heart of the island, it may mean they were before Jacob's time.

What happened to Cindy and the kids? We didn't see them die, and we know Bernard and Rose didn't appear to leave, so Cindy and the kids may have been hiding out during this period as well. I'm sure Hurley allowed them to remain, but he may have directed them to return to the outside world at some point. This may be something addressed in the deleted scenes when this season comes out later this year on DVD.

Why wasn't character X in the church in the alt-purgatory? Some characters like Michael were dead and stuck on the island as ghosts. While other characters were allowed to take part in the purgatory, but their souls were not yet ready to come to terms with their past mistakes, see Ana Lucia and Ben. We know both Ana Lucia and Charlie appeared off island as ghosts to Hurley, so at some point their ghosts moved on while Michael's could not.

Who ran the Others: Ben or Dogen? The Others were run by Ben, who was advised by Richard who had some contact with Jacob over the years. Ben was seen as special because he saw his dead mother on the island, was this MiB or his mother's ghost? That's unclear, Richard's wife was on the island, even though she didn't die there. Ben was never allowed to see Jacob, but he did things in his name to get what he wanted. Ben took over leadership in the 90s when he had Widmore banished. During this time MiB began appearing to Ben, manipulating him into doing his bidding. Dogen lost his son and was brought to the island at some point, probably in the 90s. He was put in charge of the Temple, which appears to have been used as the Others home base prior to taking over Dharmaville. It was his domain but Ben, being the head honcho, mainly stayed in the place he grew up in Dharmaville.

Why couldn't Ben kill Widmore? One of the rules the Others followed, was that they could not kill each other. To do so meant you yourself would be killed (or at least banished if the kill and be killed thing was Ben's lie) and lose Jacob's favor. This happened to Juliet. Alex, who was an Other, was killed by one of Widmore's men, which was a cheap "out". Ben did not see this as an out and called Widmore on it. Ben could thus avoid the rule by killing Penny, who was not an Other. By the time Ben kills Widmore, Ben has completely abandoned Jacob and his rules, having already "killed" Jacob earlier.

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I wonder if there's a possibility Eloise used her son's experiments on herself as well.

^ The Others have "free" will to do what they will to protect the island. Ben's current stance seemed to be "kill who you need to to protect the island." Part of being a candidate is that you can be killed by other candidates. If you died, then apparently you weren't right to be the next protector. If you were a candidate and just lived your life free from outside influence, you would not die by accident or through your own actions (suicide). You could probably die by old age though.

Also I would guess that if you were scratched off as a candidate before you were dead, like Kate, then the Rules kicked in and you could die like any normal person.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 26, 2010

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

PatriotAM22 posted:

Well then that’s stupid. If Jacob went through all that trouble, don’t you think he would have protected them?

That's part of Jacob's free will kick, if you get killed by another candidate, then that's that. Whittle them down until there's a few left and then let the one who honestly wants it, to do it. Jack stepped up, and he later saw that Hurley imbodied everything that should be the protector. Note that Jacob appeared to Hurley and guided him. Of course that's because Hurley could see ghosts, but it could also be that Jacob ultimately saw Hurley as the next long term protector.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 26, 2010

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Perhaps there's something in that third trimester that was harmed by the healing effects after the incident. Either it kicked the healing effects into overdrive, or tainted them akin to the Temple water tainting the people it healed. Where normally the source maintained a constant state throughout the island, the breach under the Swan caused fluctuations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Thenipwax posted:

I don't think the writers had any idea what the smoke monster really was until the 5th season or so.

Guys, I think we need to operate in this thread as if the writers knew what they were doing the whole time. Meaning in this thread we're trying to come up with answers within the context of the show, even if X wasn't originally written with later question Y in mind. Y could have been written though based on how X played out or with X in mind. So even if they didn't know why MiB killed the pilot in the first episode, we can use the later info given about him to come up with reasons he might have done so.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 26, 2010

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, I don't think Dave works as an MiB influence, as Hurley killing himself wouldn't be possible. Of course it's also possible Hurley could have jumped off the cliff and just been heavily injured like Michael after he tried to kill himself by crashing his car.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

One question which I'm stuck wondering about is the ash containing/repelling Smokey. Nothing inside the show seems to address this outside of Jacob's ashes being important to allowing him to remain as a ghost until they were returned to him. I would have thought maybe it was the ashes of MiB's original body, but we know that wasn't the case since it's in the cave. Was the ash a side effect of the rules? I'm not entirely sure the reason it was used. Perhaps because it's an easy medium to create through burning the readily available jungle. Could also be a way for Jacob to remind MiB of their mother. "Remember the smoldering ashen ruins of the human village mother burned which caused you to kill her? I'll never let you forget. Any time you try to cross ash, you will be forbidden from doing so."

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 26, 2010

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Thenipwax posted:

I don't understand why Jacob, who thinks men are inherently good, orders his others (Dogen & Lenon) to kill anybody that isn't on his list. That doesn't seem like a hands off approach to observing whether man is evil at heart. Seems like obvious interference.

Did we ever hear Jacob specifically say that? Did the note say that? It seems to me that was just a standing order in place by Ben. "Kill anyone who is a threat to the island and not protected by Jacob." Jacob gives a list and certain people aren't on it, we'll you're screwed.

Matt Cruea posted:

Probably has more to do with the latter. Jacob wanted ash and sonic fences to repel smokey, so they could. He could not, however, come up with a rule relating to killing smokey due to Mother's rules.

LOST = Calvinball

That makes sense based on everything we're given. I can see the fences working as some legit scientific means though that could work beyond the rules, since it appears to mess up even normal people hard core. Jacob seems to operate old school, and I'm not sure he'd give tech specific rules. "Can openers can repel my brother." Ash seems more his thing, being organic in nature. Question is though, is there something about ash or was it just something readily available from the jungle plant material being burned?

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 26, 2010

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Goddammit no. I loved this show, but I am not going to sit and pretend that all of this stuff was planned out from the start, when clearly there were a lot of things that were not. Jacob vs. MiB was the biggest red herring the producers ever made and it was used as a means to quickly explain away the inconsistent behavior of a lot of the island's mysteries.

I'm not saying you have to like it or operate that way in reality, I'm just saying that within the context of the goals of this thread, we have to operate like that. I said that in the hopes we could avoid this thread devolving into an ongoing poo poo storm about how Darlton sucks and planned/resolved nothing.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

It seems like he was stuck as Locke due to Jacob dying. This could be some side effect of the rules their mother put in place. It's one of the more ambiguous unanswered questions which I doubt they'll answer.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

mew force shoelace posted:

Because anything that turns ghosts into chatty cathys or thins the walls of death enough you can hear them is something you don't want to be around.

Exactly this. Anything that gets the ghosts talking is not something you want to be around. They always foretell some type of conflict. Pretend the whispers are the island's TV audience:

<Others creeping through the jungle towards Sayid>
Whispers: :tviv:
Sayid: "What the hell is that?"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Was he bleeding or was there "blood on his hands"?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

suddenlyissoon posted:

Didn't see this posted. Here's the 11 minute video:

http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/2010/08/new-man-in-charge-screenshots.html

It'll probably go down soon.

That was a great epilogue, it was a bit different than the spoiler report from a few weeks ago. It managed to address and clarify around 8-9 loose ends.

So what role will Walt have on the island? Will he eventually be Hurley's replacement?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

drat, does picking up steak out of your freezer send people to Tunisia?

Dharma needed animals which could survive the cold, were strong enough to push the wheel and also could perform such simple tasks because they were tall enough.

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 6, 2010

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Emerson and O'Quinn and are still trying to get their show picked up, sounds like it's more than just a pipe-dream of theirs:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100810/ap_en_tv/us_people_michael_emerson

I believe this is the one where they're hitmen living in suburbia(?)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Merauder posted:

Probably old news (or boring news, or not news at all), but I'm pretty sure I just saw Walt in a Windows 7 commercial. My co-worker thinks I'm a little crazy for exclaiming as much and pointing at the TV over it.

Somehow when Hurley told him he had work for him to do, I didn't think it would be in Microsoft marketing.

I think you're getting your young black actors confused. That was Trevor Jackson, rather than Malcolm David Kelley. Trevor Jackson has been in the current season of Eureka as Kevin.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I love that they just shot it a few weeks ago. Nice that both Welliver and Pellegrino were up for shooting a goofy follow up.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

River thread with reviews:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465184

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

http://io9.com/5890063/lost-superfan-gets-not-pennys-boat-tattoed-on-his-hand

"gently caress Penny's Butt" would have been better.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Some sort of character focused episode might be an interesting take for a chronological version. Just utilize the scenes from all the episodes where that character appears for one long episode. You'd have the other characters come and go without any background on who they are. Might be easy to try out on someone like Arzt. It would be like 20 minutes long and then he blows up.

Wouldn't really work for someone like Jack probably, it would end up being 20 hours long or something.

Edit: Actually thinking on the Arzt thing, would anyone honestly be up for making that? It'd probably be hilarious.

Teek fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 11, 2012

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Does the chronological Lost include the Missing Time mobisode things?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

ApexAftermath posted:

For anyone looking for info on this head over here http://www.chronologicallylost.com/

Yeah, I would appreciate anyone willing to do me a solid if you downloaded this before, it's in desperate need of a seed.

It's pretty neat from what I've been able to watch so far. Some of the endings don't quite have the punch the originals did, but they still work pretty well.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

That would explain it, I need to learn how to read. Thanks.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

EddieDean posted:

And a bald man falls into a hole, and is guided by another man into triggering MiB's 'escape' wheel. We can assume this man is MiB (so we already know to expect MiB in Christian's form), and through knowledge of the future given by time travel, he's manipulating baldy into helping him escape from the island.

This bit still bugs me, and it becomes even a bit more convoluted in the chronological version. How does MiB take on Christian's form in the past? Is it then present day MiB or somehow future MiB? How did he gain knowledge of the future? From scanning the time travelers minds? I think we really only saw him do that in his smoke form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

birdlaw posted:

The donkey wheel room is in sync with the time-skipping Losties. Otherwise, how could it be off-kilter before Ben turned it?

Not sure I get you, so this would mean what exactly? That it's "out of time" and not located in whatever time period is going on outside the room?

• Locked thread