Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Akuma posted:

Heh, I guess. Baltar's destiny seemed to be to give a big speech that had an effect, but got completely undone within about 30 seconds.

Why do people just assume that Baltar's relevance only occurred at the end? He was important throughout the entire loving show...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I'm rewatching the show. Currently on season 2 episode "Fire + Water" (what a stinker)...

Two questions:

1) Was it ever explained in the ARG why the washing machine and dryer were newer than all of the other equipment in the Swan?

2) How did Desmond get off of the Island in the series finale? Did Hurley just command him back home via surfboard?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

geeves posted:

They were there just over a week

gently caress, really? So from early season 5 to the finale, it was only over a span of 7-10 days?

That's bizarre and it felt like a month at least.

euphronius posted:

This is probably why they didn't film those scenes.

Honestly if I had been through that I wouldn't give a gently caress about what anyone thought. "Yea it was a lot of crazy poo poo that I can't explain. Please leave me alone" would be my response to everything.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Wax Tadpole posted:

I was watching "The Big Lebowski" for the umpteenth time yesterday, when suddenly my mind was blown.

So... he looks familiar, but who is it?

ediHOLY gently caress IT'S JACOB

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Ak Gara posted:

I feel sorry for anyone who lost out the chance of seeing Walkabout unspoiled.

For me, it was very easy to call as soon as it opened with him looking down at his toes, and his hospital bed gave it away completely.

But gently caress it was still such an amazing episode.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Hey guys I found an alternate Lost finale ending http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bklS2OdVtCg&feature=related

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I thought the child actors were fine. Honestly if you had a problem with them, go watch Phantom Menace again.

The only thing that bugs me about Across the Sea is that the way that they dealt with the donkey wheel was weird. If he never installed the wheel into the pocket of energy before it collapsed, then who did? Dharma?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Max posted:

Definitely not Dharma. When Pierre Chang goes down to check out the orchid station at the beginning of season 5, they get a picture of what's inside, and they don't know what the hell the wheel is. I'd like to think Jacob put it there after feeling guilty for killing his brother.

Well when they do an sonar scan of the rock or whatever, it appears that the wheel is not lined up like we saw when Ben and Locke turned it.

Also I guess that would be correct that "Across the Sea" took place before the Egyptians arrived.

Where did everyone come up with that 75 AD date or whatever? Everyone kept insisting that "Across" took place in that year, and I don't understand why -- there was no hint about this in the episode.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Someone please answer my question about where the date 75 AD came from with regards to "Across the Sea."

Did some random goon just throw that date out there and everyone ran with it?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Mogomra posted:

He showed Jack where the water was in season 1 and before that, set Vincent to wake Jack up so he could save everyone before the pilot. (If missing pieces is legit, which it's probably not.)

Those were pretty good things, right? I'm not saying he's a good dude though.

He tried to lead Jack off of a cliff. Also that was likely ghost Christian who told Vincent to go wake up his son.

The one thing that I saw posted here recently that I didn't agree with, was that Locke was manipulated and, as implied, died for nothing. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Yes he was manipulated on a certain level by MiB; however, he was also loyal to the Island. Yes he brought back the Oceanic 6 and put everything in place for Jacob to be murdered, but he also made Jack believe him, and he put the final pieces in motion to lead to the destruction of MiB and the saving of the Island.

So he was manipulated somewhat, but in the end he was right and had a more important destiny.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
So looking back on everything, I guess Widmore was pretty much a good guy? Yes he killed off Dharma under his own pretenses, but with regards to having the Island's best interests at heart, loyalty to Jacob, etc he was a better leader than Ben.

I have been re-watching the show and in "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham," he comes across as being sincere and honest.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Bad Sun posted:

In my opinion this is the weakest part of LOST. Widmore changing his ways invalidated the 4th season completely.

They made it seem SO IMPORTANT that Jack and the others Lie about where they'd been, to the detriment of their own lives and (mental) health. If Widmore ever found out about the island then everybody would DIE and a rescue effort would be pointless.

Well no, actually none of that mattered because all he needed was a good talking to.

Well if the truth about the Island got out, yea it would suck because the government would try and move in or something. But like you said, at that point they had no idea what Widmore's intentions were, and likely the only reason he didn't try and kill all of the main characters upon his return in the final season was because they were all candidates.

Remember, he had no problem with forcing Sawyer to do what he wanted by threatening to kill Kate.

And say what you want but he had just sent an insane, psychopathic mercenary to do his bidding, who murdered Alex and a bunch of innocent folks. So I don't see how it was illogical.

edit: tl;dr: Just because we didn't see Widmore kill a bunch of people again doesn't mean he wasn't prepared / willing to do so.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
So after all this time I think I have a reliable theory on what the gently caress went on with the cabin.

Day 89, Ben takes Locke to see 'Jacob' in "The Man Behind the Curtain." Locke spots the ring of ash and wonders what it is. Ben says not to gently caress with it, probably because he has no idea what it is either. Ben puts on shenanigans to fool Locke, but Locke actually hears Jacob whisper "help me." I believe that this really was Jacob. He whispered to Locke to let him know that he really was special, and to hint that Ben knew basically nothing about him, and that Ben was pulling his chain. Also maybe Jacob knew his time was limited since the Man in Black was out to find his loop-hole. Locke only saw Jacob for a split second because Jacob has a strict non-interventionist policy.

The circle of ash was there to keep the smoke monster out, because Jacob needed a reliable place to summon his followers or Richard. It wasn't to keep Smokey trapped in the Cabin since we saw him from the Pilot onward. It was merely a tool to keep a friendly place where Jacob could speak with his people in confidence.

Eventually that line of ash was broken, and we don't know who did it. Maybe it was Hurley or even Locke when he was leaving the first time.

When Hurley first sees the Cabin in season 4, he goes to the porch and peers into the window. He sees Christian Shepard there, who is of course the Man in Black. He also sees another figure, who jumps at him to stare at him through the window. This was Jacob. He and the Man in Black were talking for some reason.

The next time Hurley, Locke, and Ben go to the Cabin, they only see Christian (the Man in Black), and Claire, who is infected by him. At this point Jacob moved back to the statue, and he left a message in the cabin that he did this (a knife through the tapestry of Taweret).

Ilana and her folks found the cabin, found the line of ash broken, saw the message Jacob left, and burned the shack so no one would be mistaken about Smokey's identity. Of course it was too late, because Locke had already been deceived.

Basically, this is the only way in my mind that it all makes sense. It also meshes with my realization that while Locke was manipulated, he ultimately served a greater purpose with regards to saving the Island and destroying the Man in Black.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

marktheando posted:

No, I think the line of ash must have been broken before we first saw the cabin, since the figure we briefly see is clearly not Jacob- http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mysterious_Figure

The one saying 'help me' to Locke must have been Smokey, since Jacob can't change his shape or turn invisible.

No this is really dumb. They simply hadn't found the main person they wanted to play Jacob yet.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Bobx66 posted:

The guy in the Cabin was absolutely the MiB. However I don't know, nor is it important, who is in that picture. poo poo he looks like Lupidas to me.

This is why I hate this thread so much.

Ok let's make it simple. You have two options

1) The Man in Black can be two different people at once, something he never did again, nor referred to.

2) The show-runners had no need for a contracted actor to play Jacob yet, so they put one of the folks involved with production in the chair, made it hard to see the figure, and intended to cast someone later.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

marktheando posted:

But for the guy to be Jacob would require that Jacob can shape shift, something he never did again, nor referred to...

Hahahahha what????

Are you incapable of conceiving the idea that some shows will cast actors in minor roles and then replace them with an actual cast member once needed?

Bobx66 posted:

Dude, the cabin had not been occupied by Jacob during Oceanic 815's time on the island. The Man in Black appeared to Eko as Yemi and has appeared as multiple other people since appearing as Christian on the Beach. He was not allowed to take on another form after Locke, he was stuck after Locke, not before. Jacob was never in the cabin.

poo poo, look at Lostpedia:
http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Cabin
The cabin built by Horace Goodspeed and inhabited by The Man in Black

You are dead wrong. The actor who appeared to hurley in one frame of the 3rd season has no significance whatsoever.

You're an imbecile. The Man in Black was stuck as Locke after Jacob died, which was after season 3 and 4, when we saw Ben and Locke and Hurley, Locke, and Ben visit it, respectively. You have no idea whether or not Jacob was in the cabin or not, and in fact, the scene in "The Man Behind the Curtain" absolutely suggests that it was Jacob. In the season 4 episode, we see Christian (smokey) and another figure, who probably was Jacob, as we have seen that they talk to each other when they feel like it (The Incident part 1, Ab Aeterno, Across the Sea).

All of what I said has nothing to do with the Man in Black appearing to Eko as Yemi, so I have no idea how that supports any critique you have of what I said. Unless you're assuming that I said that MiB can't shape shift, which I never said that. In fact I said the opposite.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

LooseChanj posted:

No poo poo, that's called "misdirection". And it worked because at the time we knew nothing about Jacob. Now that we know more, it's certain that wasn't Jacob.

No. You think it was misdirection. I agree that the second time Locke went into the cabin, it was misdirection. But the ash around the cabin made it pretty blatant that the monster couldn't get in.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

euphronius posted:

There was a breach in the ash fence.

It wasn't there the first time.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

LooseChanj posted:

So Jacob had the power to become invisible? Cuz that's what you're saying.

Yes. He also has the power to either teleport thousands of miles across the globe, or to project himself that far.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Bobx66 posted:

Agreed. Jacob didn't need Locke's help. Nor did he ever announce that he needed Locke's help. The person who needed Locke's help was the Man in Black.

The Man in Black did not assume Locke's body until the end of Season 5. Note the timing of the reveal of the fact that Locke was not Locke coincided with Illana finding the Cabin and saying "He isn't here and hasn't been in a long time." Jacob was never in the cabin, as far as we know the living Jacob has only talked to one man that he brought to the island and that was Richard, outside the statue. Where he lives. Not in the cabin.

Yes the Man in Black took Locke's form in season 5. What does this have to do with anything? Go back and rewatch the show I think you're getting confused about minor details. Also your best argument for "Jacob was never in the cabin" comes down to the producers not having the foresight to cast Mark Pellegrino in season 3.

quote:

Johnny: You are the only person who thinks Jacob was in the cabin.

And you're doing a terrible job of explaining yourself otherwise.

Bobx66 posted:

How do you know? At no point did we ever see anyone break the circle, we just saw that it was broken. Jacob didn't need Locke's help at all, end of discussion.

I know. He obviously didn't. He should have stayed dead and not worried about the candidates coming back to 2007.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Bobx66 posted:

Wrong. The MIB appeared as several other people and switched back and forth between Christian and Yemi prior to becoming Locke. At the point that Jacob died he was stuck as Locke. Considering all of the visits to the cabin happened prior to Jacob dying it could have been the smoke monster.

Can you read? I said in order for it to be the smoke monster the second time, he would have had to have been two separate individuals: Christian and the guy who peers at Hugo. I agree that Christian was the smoke monster, but the other guy certainly wasn't, and he was probably Jacob.

Jesus.

quote:

Wrong, and wrong. the "help me" scene was misdirection. Jacob never directly talked to any of his candidates on the island per his policy of "not interfeering. Also wrong as there was only one man in the cabin. Just because there was a quick cut to an eye doesnt mean there were two people there.

Once again you're a loving imbecile who doesn't read. The second time was when there were two people. The first time there was only a slight glimpse of someone who was not Mark Pellegrino. This does not mean it wasn't Jacob. In fact, it pretty much had to be Jacob since the ash out front kept the monster out. It was Jacob. He only whispered to Locke because of his policy of non-interventionism. He didn't straight up come out and say "HEY GUYS I'M JACOB LOOK OUT SMOKEY IS FAKING DEAD CHARACTERS" because he had that policy.

quote:

What the gently caress are you getting at? Yes Locke was a candidate. No he was not special, and no Jacob did not need John Locke's express help.

He was special. There are characters on the show who were identified as being special. Three off of the top of my head were Locke, Walt, and Hugo.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

marktheando posted:

This does happen, but the guy in the cabin is not an example of it.

That's your opinion, but not a fact of course.

quote:

The Cabin has been shown to be Smokey's hangout.

Not true. It had ash all the way around it, and since we'd seen smokey outside since the Pilot, it was obviously to keep him out -- not to keep him in.

quote:

Every other time we have seen it Smokey was there.

Except for the first time.

quote:

If Jacob wanted something he could talk to Richard, he didn't need to talk to Locke in the cabin. Jacob was organising Ilana and her crew, visiting candidates, he didn't need Locke's help.

If this were the case, then why would there be ash around the thing in the first place? If there was no purpose for the cabin, why was he there at one point?

quote:

He had no interest in messing with Locke's head (and Ben's) in a way that directly helped Smokey by acting like a spooky ghost and asking for help.

If he were a man with god-like powers to the point where he could see how things would unfold, he absolutely would need to make Locke believe he is special, and put him in a position where he could take the leadership role form Ben.

quote:

This was part of Smokey's manipulation of Locke and Ben.

I absolutely believe this is true for the second visit to the cabin.

quote:

Remember what happened immediately after this- Ben shoots Locke and leaves him for dead. All part of Smokey's plan.

No, part of Smokey's plan was for Locke to go and turn that wheel (which he directly told him to do), so that time traveling could occur, so that he could appear as Locke, so that the pieces would fall in place (Alex being murdered and appearing to Ben) so that he could directly order for Ben to murder Jacob.

A dead Locke would have been absolutely useless to the MiB. In fact, he pretty much confirmed that he had a master plan to set that in motion when he told Jacob, "Do you have any idea what it took me to be here." I don't think Ben murdering Locke in season 3 would have allowed that plan to take place.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Bobx66 posted:

OK bud you win. You won the argument and really changed my mind. You handled yourself like a grown up in this argument and I commend you for it. Incase anyone was wondering what Johnny's opinion on who was in the Cabin please let be known that he thinks it was Jacob.

Yes silly me for going on and reading discussions about a third time-line, that "Flashes Before Your Eyes" actually takes place in the Afterlife (latter isn't all that terrible), which both have zero grounds for theory in the show, which both have an even greater disconnect than the fairly reasonable premise I laid out. Silly me for coming up with this theory after my second re-watch.

You are right to say that making the cabin scenes make sense isn't a huge priority within the needs of watching the show. But to call my theory unreasonable while this thread goes on daily about stupid poo poo with zero grounding...

Well it is the Lost thread after all.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

marktheando posted:

I mean think about what this does to Ben- 'Jacob' who has never talked to him, the supposed leader, asks John Locke for help. It furthers Smokey's scheme because it sets Locke up to be the 'special' leader of the others, and it makes Ben angry at Jacob. So that 'Locke' can get to Jacob and Ben will be ready to kill Jacob.

This is actually a good point, but it works both ways. Locke was a candidate. He was actually probably the best candidate until he died, which then he probably was the second most important because he influenced Jack to become Locke part deus. Anyway, Jacob never met Ben for reasons unknown, probably because Ben dethroned Widmore or whatever. The point is that it could easily be just the opposite, that Jacob needs a new leader for his followers and prefers Locke over Ben.

quote:

Smokey doesn't take a chance of Locke being killed- he knows he can't be because he hasn't time travelled yet.

Yes but if Smokey could see into the future, then he would have known that he gets destroyed by Jack and Kate at the end of the show. I don't think he can do that.

The only reason he knew to tell Richard to tell Locke to give the compass to Richard is that he had Locke's memories post-Bentham episode.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

FrensaGeran posted:

Really the cabin is all just guesswork and it's totally weird.

Basically this is all we will ever agree upon. I actually think that was really Walt who appeared to Locke, since the real Walt wasn't dead. Walt was special. And it appears that his ability was to make poo poo happen with his mind in addition to projecting himself on the Island.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Ugh when the gently caress is that encyclopedia coming out?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I use to think that the writers were intending for Christian to end up being Jacob, but who the gently caress knows there's not really any evidence for it other than the way they set up the story. It's a lot like Walt's loving abilities that were just useless when he left.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

aniero posted:

Sorry if someone got this already, I haven't quite caught up yet, but watch the episode where Eko dies again: 'The Cost of Living'. The Smoke Monster appears as several members of the African gang that Eko murdered in the church. And that scene has to be Smokey, not a dream, because as I stated previously, one of the gang members throws a machete at Eko, Eko then takes it and in a later scene holds that same Machete up to Locke's neck. If it's not Smokey I'd really love to hear what else it could have been...

e: Also, Illiana says in the show that the cabin hasn't been used by Jacob in a "very long time"

I watched it not too long ago, but I don't remember him appearing as more than one person at a time.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Bobx66 posted:

Just wanted to quote this so that Johnny B. Dickhead can read it again.

Haha you took your failed argument personally. Next time read the posts entirely, and respond with logic and you won't have to resort to name calling in desperation.

We know that there are ghosts on the Island. We know that they have appeared to the characters on more than one occasion. This means that Smokey does not account for all of the dead character appearances. In fact, some of the appearances of Christian flat out couldn't be the Man in Black.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

LooseChanj posted:

If this ain't the pot callin' the kettle black, I don't know what is.

I've never actually personally attacked anyone in this thread. That guy either didn't read what I was saying or he just has no ability to make a coherent argument. I really can't tell which one it is...

Also Loose you have little ground to stand on with regards to criticizing someone for coming up with a backwardassed theory.

quote:

This thread makes it so easy for me to decide who to add to my ignore list.

You're literally ignoring someone for disagreeing with you over a TV show.

Good riddance. :frogout:

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

euphronius posted:

Christian on the freighter is the most problematic appearance.

Right now I am thinking it was angel Christian appearing at the moment of Michael's death.

Also Christian in the donkey wheel chamber. Unless the MiB time skipped as well? I mean obviously it would make sense if it were him because he needed it to happen to get Locke off the Island and bring everyone back, but gently caress I don't know how it would fit without being a plot hole unless the MiB time skipped.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

superjew posted:

Do you think Smokey inhabiting dead bodies in any way affected them in their purgatory?

I like to think Christian saw everything that happened after the fact, took a personal disliking to Michael, and used all the ethereal power he could muster to give that awesome line.

That could also be the case (I know you're being partially facetious but w/e). The donkey wheel room appearance of Christian could be explained that he appeared as a ghost or whatever to help keep things on track. After all he needed Jack to "move on."

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

FrensaGeran posted:

In purgatory, they didn't lose Christian's body. It was never there. Now obviously that can't be the same for the real world. But the coffin was on the plane. So either the airline put a bodyless coffin on a plane, or the body fell out, which is very likely when a plane explodes in half in midair and tumbles through the jungle.

Yea but what about the third time-line?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Eloise was special too. It's also obvious from the Desmond/Eloise encounter in The Lamppost that FBYE was Desmond's past. At that part the universe was just course correcting, so presumably Eloise had been able to go back in the past with her mind, or maybe she just understand enough about the universe to understand that the man in red shoes would die. It's irrelevant. She was special just like the others.

I mean I want to support the afterlife theory, but I had forgotten about that encounter between Desmond and Eloise where he told her that she sent him to the Island. That suggests more than some puppet-master poo poo.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

BIOJECT posted:

Are you single?

Are you serious?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Oh come on, it's like he's a gigantic creep or anythi-

Oh my...

If that's him talking about what happened to Athena in Pegasus, then he's a loving psychopath.

That's easily the most depressing / horrifying scene in any show that I know of.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

BIOJECT posted:

Wow that's an old quote being used there from the Battlestar Galactica thread. I'm so proud. :D

Who cares? Apparently you're as equally insane now as you were then?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
BIOJECT also spoiled the volcano thing from an interview Cuse gave or something, and I reported him, after which he was probated for a month or whatever. However, Aatrek reversed it because some doofus said that it wasn't a spoiler.

Of course it was in the end.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
It looks like he was finally able to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

I don't know which scares me more, the fact that this movie looks absolutely horrible (aside from OQuinn), or the fact that I graduated a public high school in Alabama and had never heard of this film.

• Locked thread