Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse
This thread is for general Discussion about the ADF, be it if you're an AJ, member of the Air Farce or, well the Navy are just a joke onto themselves really.
If you're looking for any information on joining the ADF be sure to check out the defence jobs website at:

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/
Otherwise feel free to ask any questions here. Can't guarantee anyone will know the answers but there're a fair few Aussie mil goons kicking around.

Just remember, isn't time you Challenged Yourself Under a Rising Sun to see if the Team Works while you're feeling Accomplished and Having the Part Time of You Life?

I'm a member of the Army reserves as a medic and I've gotta say its been pretty damned awesome on the whole, the latest round of recruitment ads are a little cringe worthy though.

Anyway, pics!

Woo ASLAV! The bushmaster ambos are much roomier

HMAS ANZAC doing a belly flop

The new Superhornet bought from the US, awesome, but too but the f-35 project seems to be in such trouble.

There must be a transformer in this picture somewhere

Rocking around Afghanistan

And of course...the collins..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ninja
Jun 1, 2010

猫忍だにゃ!
I just wanted to extend my heartfelt gratitude to Australia and Australia's finest serving overseas, whether it was East Timor or RC South, Afghanistan. Fine upstanding professionals, rock solid in the face of the enemy, and some of the most pleasant people to walk this earth. Your role in the world is underappreciated by far. Thanks much.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Good work on making the thread man, ill be sure to answer any questions or queries about the Reserves or driving trucks that anyone might have.

If anyone wants any information about Kapooka hit me up, i only got out of there in February so it's all still fresh in my mind.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yah Redcordial, start writing. I gotta know what I've gotten myself into. Tell me everything!

I didn't go to the Tuesday boozer unfortunately, but I'll make sure to go soon enough. Sucks for me though, I get one parade and have to wait till next month for my next one :(

Glad my boots have broken in a little, been wearing them for 7 hours now and they're almost bone dry. One of the lads told me how to do it all. Any other handy tips for gear?

edit: More pics. Gun time!

F88 Austeyr. "Pictured above is a section of Aussie soldiers armed with the latest F88 Austeyr assault rifles during training exercise in Germany ..."

jizzy sillage fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 16, 2010

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Make sure you try to go to the boozer each week even for 10 minutes or so, it's probably the best way to get to know everybody, and the people you will be working with once you get out of Kapooka.

And with the boots after a couple days of wearing them they pretty much do all the work themselves, all 3 of my pairs feel like a dream when i wear them.
And i don't really have much advice for your other gear, except to practice ironing your DPCU's a couple times a week as it will come in really handy at Kapooka when you have tight deadlines for stuff like that.

And Kapooka isn't really as hard as people make it out to be, although it really depends on what recruit instructors you happen to get stuck with. But the first week or two will be bloody hard until you start to get accustomed to the routine, after that it's just a matter of keeping your head down and trying not to be last at everything.

Tomorrow ill make a list of what not to do while at Kapooka, since i have to be up in 8 hours for a drat medical assessment.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Oh hey, I actually have a proper question, too. I got issued my boots from the Q store (or whatever it's called), and had problems trying to find a size that fits me. Went through a bunch getting bigger and bigger until finally found a pair that doesn't crush the top of my foot (wide feet), but the problem is my foot moves back to front in the boot because it's about a half inch too long. They said it'd probably be okay since I get new ones at Kapooka, and they didn't have any different sizes anyway (nor hats...or shirts...or socks...but i digress).

Will it be much of an issue? Should i push to find some replacements that fit the length of my foot properly as well as the width? Or will these be fine since I won't be doing ruck marches and poo poo in them (<3 Reserves)?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Plank posted:

F88 Austeyr. "Pictured above is a section of Aussie soldiers armed with the latest F88 Austeyr assault rifles during training exercise in Germany ..."
Liars, those are SA1s :arghfist::saddowns:

You should get perfectly-fitting boots at Kapooka. I don't think I've touched the unit-issued ones since (they still fit, but not as comfortably; they're also obsolete. I swear they change the boot design every other week). The fuckoff sunhats you get down there are absolute poo poo though, so make sure no harm comes to your bushie.

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Yeah you'll spend a good half of a day getting your gear issued, the longest part to that is getting peoples boots sized up. The army is very big on preventing blisters, even if you're in a non-combat corp you'll need decent boots for IMT's and Milskills.
My boots are so damned comfy I use them for my own hiking, others though I know arn't so lucky and weekly parade nights are a trial.

Anyone catch this last night?
http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2010/s2929029.htm

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008
So, I'm expecting to go Air Force in the next six months or so.

I've been reading GiP alot, even though it is mainly US military it's still pretty interesting. Some of the Basic stories are a bit worrying though.

What's Basic like for RAAF? The main two things I'm wondering about are strictness, (always reading about US drill sergeants screaming at your face til it peels off, etc) and PT requirements? Being a skinny 19 year old, am I going to die?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

If I can survive Kapooka (albeit choco Kapooka, 28 days instead of 80), anyone can survive it or the other forces' equivalents of. In fact, you should have it even easier since both the RAAF and RAN have considerably slacker fitness requirements than us. Getting beasted isn't really something to be scared of... it's pretty much unavoidable even if you're the model recruit, and once it's actually done they usually forget all about it. The only time you'd really want to be worried is if you gently caress up enough to make one of the seccos have it in for you, and if you're really doing that badly you have bigger problems than getting yelled at.

sewersider posted:

Yeah you'll spend a good half of a day getting your gear issued, the longest part to that is getting peoples boots sized up. The army is very big on preventing blisters, even if you're in a non-combat corp you'll need decent boots for IMT's and Milskills.
My boots are so damned comfy I use them for my own hiking, others though I know arn't so lucky and weekly parade nights are a trial.

Anyone catch this last night?
http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2010/s2929029.htm
That was an awesome day. It was like having Christmas early.

Also I'm just a grunt whose opinion counts for gently caress all but I reckon we should start buying our planes (fighters, at least) from the Russians, who's with?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

At least the Russians have their poo poo together and can design and finish a plane without anally raping the budget (or so I've heard).

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Plus their planes can do loving backflips, man.

BACKFLIPS.

I've always loved Russian military vehicles, because they look so loving predatory, like they just really want to go out and gently caress something up :ohdear:

Not_Sure
Nov 19, 2007
Enlisting in the RAN in 10 weeks as a CTSSM, can anybody help with advice, do's & don't, etc?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Don't enlist in the RAN

izorpo
Jun 25, 2000
Lee-Enfield - Giving those bloody krauts what for since 1914.
Good to have our own thread, hopefully we get some lively discussions going.

Infantry officer here.

izorpo
Jun 25, 2000
Speaking of boots, be aware of the interim combat boot policy, where by you can purchase and wear your own (out field). They have to be one of:

Altama 4158 3LC Hot Weather
Belleville M590 Hot Weather
Bates 30501 Durashock Desert
Crossfire Peacekeeper Plus

Personally I've never understood the hate for the Terra Combats. Never had a problem with them.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

izorpo posted:

Good to have our own thread, hopefully we get some lively discussions going.

Infantry officer here.
INFANTRY :respek:

I'm only a lowly Pte though

e/ I've heard the odd horror story of them just falling apart without warning, but mine have never given me any trouble at all and they're pretty sturdy.

Apple Pyro
Feb 1, 2010

Redcordial posted:

If anyone wants any information about Kapooka hit me up, i only got out of there in February so it's all still fresh in my mind.

I was at Kapooka in February too!

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Anyone got a link or whatever to where the gently caress I'm meant to put the colour patch on my slouch? I can't find it for the life of me, and while I have a general idea I'd rather not gently caress it up by assuming

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Haha, izorpo, I failed the OSB in April. I am obviously not of your superior quality, it seems. How long have you been an officer for?

izorpo
Jun 25, 2000

Plank posted:

Haha, izorpo, I failed the OSB in April. I am obviously not of your superior quality, it seems. How long have you been an officer for?

Keep trying, if it's what you want. I entered ADFA in 2003.

rossmum posted:

Anyone got a link or whatever to where the gently caress I'm meant to put the colour patch on my slouch? I can't find it for the life of me, and while I have a general idea I'd rather not gently caress it up by assuming

Horizontally and vertically centred on the puggaree, on the right side.

http://www.defence.gov.au/army/asod/index.htm Para 4.33.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, the reason they quoted for knocking me back was 'We're not sure that YOU'RE sure you want to get in, come back later maybe.', and to be honest I agree with them. I'm pretty happy so far with being a chocko so I'll give this a crack, then go Regular. Might try again further down the track :)

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cheers izorpo, will get it sorted soon as I get back from visiting the parents

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Not_Sure posted:

Enlisting in the RAN in 10 weeks as a CTSSM, can anybody help with advice, do's & don't, etc?

I'll be honest I'm not all up with the RAN acronyms, whats a CTSSM?
Otherwise know your knots and get a decent laptop

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Apple Pyro posted:

I was at Kapooka in February too!

What Company/Platoon were you in? i marched out on the 8th of Feb, so might have run into you at the mess or some poo poo.

And don't worry about your boots not fitting perfectly before Kapooka, you only wear them once a week for a few hours so they wont(shouldn't) do any harm.

Ernesto Diaz
Jun 16, 2003
sup chix
Chocco gunner reporting in, glad to have our own thread.

Can we use this thread to talk about about our FREDs and make the yanks jealous?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Only if you tell me what a FRED is :v:

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

loving Ridiculous Eating Device

Awesomely weird, and not particularly easy to use

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Haha yeh the FRED's are pretty fun to use, gotta love opening the cans of fruit and cheese.

Just got back from a weekend exercise about an hour ago, we went on a road trip from our barracks in melb up to Swan hill on a very long/scenic/muddy route, i love seeing just what our trucks are capable of.

Edmond Dants0000
Sep 24, 2009

It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.

rossmum posted:

If I can survive Kapooka (albeit choco Kapooka, 28 days instead of 80), anyone can survive it or the other forces' equivalents of.

Any chance you can give a rundown on what it's like? What fitness level you went in with and any tips on what to avoid and/or prepare for? I'm likely to go to Kapooka (choco version, woo) in the next month or so, and I'm somewhat nervous about it. Is it any different for officer cadets than for general enlisted?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Hah, Edmond, I might see you there. I don't know when I'm going, yet, but it's probably soon.

Edmond Dants0000
Sep 24, 2009

It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.

Plank posted:

Hah, Edmond, I might see you there. I don't know when I'm going, yet, but it's probably soon.

The Army loves to keep you guessing. Have you signed your papers yet? I've got my blood tests back and now I'm sitting on my hands waiting for them to come through and tell me what's going on next.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

My enlistment day was last Tuesday. I was accepted in this 'Direct-to-Unit' thing the chockos have going on, so I have to pass a PFA within 6 months. Til I do that, no Kapooka for me. I'm not actually sure when I'll be trying again for that, the last one I failed by one pushup (14/15 pushups, 45 situps and 7.5 beep test). They've queued me up for a first aid course next month though, so i might have to do that first.

Edmond Dants0000
Sep 24, 2009

Really? That's cool. I had to do my PFA at my OSB, which was fun - getting out of suits to go do team evaluation exercises, then the test and come back to get changed back and do the final stage of interviews. Dragging my rear end through the beep test was the hardest part for me, and it's running that's got me worried about Kapooka.

I just want to sign my papers and get in already. If I don't go to Kapooka in July, it's unlikely I'll be able to do it until November or January, and that'll stuff up the run at doing all the modules (uni student, woohoo). What corps you looking at going for? Signals is my aim, but I've got a long time doing GSO training before that's a concern.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Edmond, Kapooka is a lot easier if your a general enlisted, due to most(all) officer cadet's being smart arses and thinking they know everything so naturally all the instructors prey on them a bit more. Pretty much the first few days you get there you are given your gear and introduced to the army lifestyle such as your living quarters, eating at the mess, learning to work under time constraints and all that good stuff. And in the first few days you will do your PFA but it is a lot easier when you have people yelling at you trust me lol.

The physical side of it isn't nearly as hard as you would expect because you really push yourself past what you think you are capable, mainly because of the general atmosphere and because the harder you push yourself the less you get yelled at. But besides doing the PFA a few times, the BFA at the end of Kapooka, you only do a few runs (anywhere from 2-3k's) and a few pack marchers that are actually pretty easy since the girls go at the front and their short legs set the pace lol.

The best thing to avoid while there is definitely anyone that out ranks you, avoid them at all costs unless you actually need help or have a question or something like that. The less they know you the better, but really it isn't as bad as most people make it out to be, keep your head down and work hard and the time actually goes fairly quickly, and you will also have a lot of fun after the first week or so.

And also, never leave your weapon out of arms reach! that is the number 1 thing that Cpl's will lose their poo poo at, and it happened to me a fair bit because im loving forgetful. If ya have any other questions hit me up guys im full of random helpful information.

Redcordial fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 20, 2010

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Hey Edmond, I did a PFA at my OSB too. Both of which i failed. OSB was fun though, wasn't it? I had a great time. I'm in as a Rifleman for now, though I might give OSB another shot later on.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Edmond Dants0000 posted:

Any chance you can give a rundown on what it's like? What fitness level you went in with and any tips on what to avoid and/or prepare for? I'm likely to go to Kapooka (choco version, woo) in the next month or so, and I'm somewhat nervous about it. Is it any different for officer cadets than for general enlisted?
Pretty much what Redcordial said, although it also depends a lot on your platoon staff. Ours were on their last rotation and so we got away with a ton of poo poo, they were pretty chilled out most of the time. The guys upstairs from us, on the other hand, were downright mental.

Fitness... I barely managed to scrape through my PFA, then just failed the RFA at Kapooka (mix of being sick and not drinking enough water - seriously, you cannot put too much of that poo poo down you, doubly so if you go in the hotter months like I did). I was pretty much dying every time PT came but a combination of getting yelled at and not wanting to be that one oval office sitting down crying about his sandy pussy while everyone else was hurting got me through a lot more than I've been able to manage since (although the whole knee surgery thing didn't help). If you're really putting in, they'll go easier on you. If you're not, you'll get crucified. You could be absolutely dying the whole time but if they can tell you are literally on the edge of collapse but still pushing they'll be more likely to encourage you than beast you.

The main thing is try not to get too worried, and although you have to rush things, try not to rush so much you let your standards slip. Always do things to the best of your ability and don't let it bother you if you somehow manage to gently caress up really basic stuff in the first week - what really matters comes later. Never leave a weapon more than an arm's length from you, even if you're told you can - the only time you do this is when you're actually ordered to do so. Of all the things people got ripped for while I was there, forgotten weapons were the most common and also the worst thing to get beasted for.

As for cadet/enlisted... well, probably about 60-70% of the major fuckups in my platoon could be attributed to officer cadets. Never assume you know any better than anyone else while you're down there, and that's probably a good approach in general. Good luck and try to enjoy it; once you get past the initial "holy gently caress what have I signed up for" period and you get out doing more warry stuff and more shooting, it really does become pretty fun. I miss it to be honest, my life is boring now.

Edmond Dants0000
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks a lot guys, it's great to get some advice and hear about it. Really puts my mind at ease. I'll definitely try not to let being an officer cadet go to my head, but I've always had the feeling that whatever you are, it doesn't matter poo poo until you've completed Kapooka. All the same, I'll make doubly sure not to come off like a jackfuck.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

The most important thing about being an officer cadet is knowing that no matter how much you learn at Kapooka and RMC, no matter what rank you are, someone will always know more than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

gently caress, rossmum you just reminded me just how bloody hot it was there. We were ordered to drink one liter of water for every hour that we were awake for.

When you need to piss every 30 mins, but only get time to go to the toilets every 2 hours or so, que lots of people not drinking and de-hydrating lol, but me i just sat in agony for half the days dying for a piss... i think i made the right choice?

• Locked thread