Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

sos posted:

You want to able to breeze through the PFA. It should be like a warmup for you. If you are just scraping through 15 pushups and a few situps you will struggle at Kapooka.

Alright yeah, I think I should start on making my arms a bit stronger fairly soonish, then; the most I do with them on a regular basis is lugging PCs, etc. around, which I'm pretty sure won't quite cut it!

Dude McAwesome posted:

Nobody here is going to talk about your suitability for any position bro, just find a job you want to do (it could be in IT, it could be anything else) and then ask a million questions about it here so we can help out. poo poo dude, I worked in recruiting for two years and you've already done more research than any of the 700 or so people I interviewed.

Every job in the military has shitloads of downtime. Set something up, do nothing for eight hours, pack it up. Although it always seems to be that if there is work to do then the boss will think of something that needs to be done RIGHT NOW 15 minutes prior to knock off.

Yeah, I think I just made a slightly poor choice of wording + expecting(/hoping, more like!) too much. I was mostly just after info akin to how much I'll be using computers/servers/etc. compared to cables/satellite dishes/etc. But from the sounds of it, IS is where I'll want to be - although both sound decent, so telecomms will be a good second preference. And yeah, I just like to be prepared, I guess - especially when it involves signing up for something for a few years, anyway, heh.

Ah ok, well that's not so bad, I guess; I can generally be very patient, ("Eh? You make it sound like waiting an hour or so is boring" sort of thing) doubly so if I have a book/PC/the internet available - although yeah, no doubt it'll get a bit trying at times, from what I've heard! And yeah, I can definitely see how the 'urgent last-minute job' part can get annoying. But alright, thanks for the heads-up on that; I know what to expect, at least!

EDIT: And heh, be careful - I might take that 'ask a million questions' part literally! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sos
Dec 9, 2004
Do the coach to 5k program for your running. You can get an app on your phone. Grab the 0 to 100 pushups program as well. After 6 weeks or so you will notice a massive difference. If im having a lazy day on the weekend I will do things like 10 pushups everytine I die on Call of Duty. I'll alternate between pushups, squats, crunches, burpees etc.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

sos posted:

Do the coach to 5k program for your running. You can get an app on your phone. Grab the 0 to 100 pushups program as well. After 6 weeks or so you will notice a massive difference. If im having a lazy day on the weekend I will do things like 10 pushups everytine I die on Call of Duty. I'll alternate between pushups, squats, crunches, burpees etc.

Ah, now there's an idea, thanks! I think I might use all your suggestions there,for sure. (well, aside from the '10 pushups per death' part at first! :D Not sure how I'll manage there, on a bad day on CS, etc.)

Oh also, I don't suppose there's any form of timetable/plan/etc. for cut-off dates for enlistment (well, mainly for the recruit training + IST's IET stuff I mean) available? Since optimally, I'd like to sign up not long after I've finished for the semester (part-way on the road to fitness) and go through the YOU (that's the initial interview, right? Not the later one) then do the PFA a little while after, when I think I'm better prepared. Although from the sounds of things in the earlier pages of the thread, a few people have had to wait months before being able to go to recruit training, due to missing the cut-off date/whatever you want to call it. But yeah, I may be a bit hopeful on that, since they may not think having that information publically available is a good move.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Major Isoor posted:

Oh also, I don't suppose there's any form of timetable/plan/etc. for cut-off dates for enlistment (well, mainly for the recruit training + IST's IET stuff I mean) available? Since optimally, I'd like to sign up not long after I've finished for the semester (part-way on the road to fitness) and go through the YOU (that's the initial interview, right? Not the later one) then do the PFA a little while after, when I think I'm better prepared. Although from the sounds of things in the earlier pages of the thread, a few people have had to wait months before being able to go to recruit training, due to missing the cut-off date/whatever you want to call it. But yeah, I may be a bit hopeful on that, since they may not think having that information publically available is a good move.

Most jobs have several intakes a year. Don't stress about it, you might be waiting three weeks or you might be waiting eight months but you won't even have a ballpark figure until you do your YOU Session. You can do your YOU Session any time, the results stay valid for three years so it might be worthwhile doing it sooner rather than later.

YOU is the initial interview where your eligibility is assessed (age, education, citizenship). The Assessment Day is where your suitability is assessed (are you suited to life in the military), and the PFA has to be done within a month of joining.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh also, another quick question that I forgot to ask the other day: How soon after recruit training do you typically begin your IET? Since I would like to do the recruit training sometime in the second half of this year, but my family is planning on going on holiday during late December over Christmas and the new year, so I'm hoping the transition from recruit training to IET won't interfere with that. (I mean, I can cancel, but I'd rather not have to) Otherwise I dunno, I suppose it might be best to just get fit for the remainder of the year (and attend the YOU interview that is, plus finding out the intake dates for IST jobs) and go to Kapooka early next year. Although I don't really want to essentially be idle for half the year.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Major Isoor posted:

Oh also, another quick question that I forgot to ask the other day: How soon after recruit training do you typically begin your IET? Since I would like to do the recruit training sometime in the second half of this year, but my family is planning on going on holiday during late December over Christmas and the new year, so I'm hoping the transition from recruit training to IET won't interfere with that. (I mean, I can cancel, but I'd rather not have to) Otherwise I dunno, I suppose it might be best to just get fit for the remainder of the year (and attend the YOU interview that is, plus finding out the intake dates for IST jobs) and go to Kapooka early next year. Although I don't really want to essentially be idle for half the year.

The time that you're in holding (between recruit training and IET's) depends on when the next course is being run, basically, and whether they've got room in that one or only in later ones and on and on it goes.

Just throwing it out there - don't depend on going to Kapooka at any chosen part of the year. You may not be given the option at all. In regards to your family holiday - I could be wrong, but are you hoping to go with them? If so - depending on the timing of the stand-down period over Christmas this year (if you are in and actually _get_ the stand-down time) you might not be able to do it. General rule of thumb? Take any plans for the future that you may have had, and throw them out the window. Take nothing for granted, and certainly not free time.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Stygian posted:

The time that you're in holding (between recruit training and IET's) depends on when the next course is being run, basically, and whether they've got room in that one or only in later ones and on and on it goes.

Just throwing it out there - don't depend on going to Kapooka at any chosen part of the year. You may not be given the option at all. In regards to your family holiday - I could be wrong, but are you hoping to go with them? If so - depending on the timing of the stand-down period over Christmas this year (if you are in and actually _get_ the stand-down time) you might not be able to do it. General rule of thumb? Take any plans for the future that you may have had, and throw them out the window. Take nothing for granted, and certainly not free time.

Alright then yeah, that's the answer I feared/was expecting, since we were all going to go overseas together, but I guess I should give them the heads-up that there's a fair chance I'll need to withdraw from it, and hopefully they'll be able to get a refund on my ticket, etc. (should be able to I suppose, since I'd imagine I'll at least have a fair idea on if I'll be able to go or not a month+ beforehand, depending on if I need to go to Kapooka around then, or not.

But ok then thanks, I guess now I know not to get my hopes up about anything anytime soon! :D

EDIT: Oh also, as I recall from the last time I checked, Info. Systems Tech was labelled as a 'priority job', so I don't suppose that'd raise the amount of intakes per year?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 19, 2013

Johnny Royale
Aug 28, 2005

Rollin' Santa Cruz since 1992
Any Aus dudes over here in Afghan at the moment? First time I have logged into SA in years, and thought I would look it up in my downtime.

Going on seven years in RAE.

Peace out lads.

Last time I posted was in this thread in 2011 ha. drat.

Johnny Royale fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 19, 2013

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
I spent 6 months a few year ago on a NATO joined task force ops with a couple of AF aussies. They made me watch australian football and cricket which I didnt think I would enjoy watching but I did. I had alot of fun with them.

It's pretty crazy how similar both Canada and Australia are alike.

Cheers!

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Any of you dudes know anything about Combat Controllers? EOI just came out from RAAF looking for personnel but there's not too much info out there about them and I don't particularly want to call 4 Sqn to find out more about them.

Inebriated
Oct 21, 2010

Dude McAwesome posted:

Any of you dudes know anything about Combat Controllers? EOI just came out from RAAF looking for personnel but there's not too much info out there about them and I don't particularly want to call 4 Sqn to find out more about them.

Check the 4SQN site on the intranet, it is there, just terribly formatted like everything on the DRN. Pretty much Commando qualified plus some more airfield/craft related skillsets including JTAC.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Inebriated posted:

terribly formatted like everything on the DRN.

Truth.

Cheers mate.

Chazzwazza
Nov 4, 2003
RumpleForeSkin
Duty Officer on Anzac Day.

I smell about 20 QAs.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Chazzwazza posted:

Duty Officer on Anzac Day.

I smell about 20 QAs.

How'd it go?

Anyone try to fight you?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey Stygian, you said you're a telecommunications technician, didn't you? (or am I mixing names/people up here? Either way, anyone feel free to settle this) If so, could you quickly settle a matter for me? Since the friend of mine who intends on getting into that position - while talking to a mutual friend while we were all seated together - was describing the role, saying that it was basically about the network infrastructure + communications equipment (yep, that seems about right), a bit more involved in the electronics side of things like soldering, etc. (I guess so too? Although I'd imagine the information systems technician role would be at trained to be able to do this sort of thing too, to a degree at least?), as well as setting servers up, etc.

Although last point he gave doesn't seem to make sense, as I was under the impression that the information systems tech role does that sort of thing and handles everything within the LANs, while telecomm techs connect the LANs to each other as well as setting up communications between locations. (since I mean, if the telecomms guys sort out the servers too, what's left for info sys technicians? Hooking up client PCs to the switch/router?) He also compared the roles to the levels of your typical Help Desk/IT Support, saying that telecommunications technicians were level 2-3, while information systems technicians were more-or-less 'level 1, borderline level 2', sort of thing. (which doesn't seem right, since the impression I got from the DefenceJobs site suggested that the roles were just as big/broad as each other, and just focusing on different parts of the network as a whole) Although I could quite easily be wrong, as he's been to the initial interview, while I'm waiting until probably mid-term (or a touch after that point, I suppose), when I'll likely know for sure whether I'll finish my course entirely this semester.

So yeah, sorry if I'm treading on old ground with this, but how accurate are the descriptions he gave? Since some of the things on the DefenceJobs site (e.g. "Plan, design, implement, manage and maintain complex communications and information systems" for the telecomms role; what sort of 'complex information systems' is it referring to? Servers, as my friend had suggested, or?) can go either way, so I'm not exactly certain as to whether he's correct in this, or is perhaps making assumptions as to what the info on the website is describing.

Thanks for any light shed, (I greatly appreciate all the help and advice you all have given me over the past months!) and my apologies for no doubt looking like an idiot with this post; I just thought I should be 100% certain about what role encompasses what tasks, etc. within the whole network. (since I mean, I don't want to be intent on signing up for one job, only to find out that the role's focus isn't as broad and interesting as I had previously believed. I know I'll more than likely be able to clarify this at the interview, but I do like having the options laid out ASAP so I have more time to consider which one to opt for; especially in this case, as both roles seem interesting)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry about the double-post, but as my last one was exactly two months ago, I thought I might as well make a new one.

Anyway, I've finally finished my certificate, and have applied for a YOU session in mid-August (annoyingly distant from now, really. Although I wasn't sure if I'd be able to finish my cert by the end of the semester until the final day, so I didn't want to apply earlier - although naturally, in hindsight I should've!), so what I'm wondering is, can anyone give me a heads-up on what to expect when it does roll around? Since I believe a friend of mine who applied for the same role a while back said that he had to do some maths and english questions, like working out the area and perimetre of a given shape, but I'm assuming there's more to it than a quiz and some standard job interview questions. I know you guys mentioned that there's also a physical and medical examination that are required, (although those are at a later date, right? Pretty sure I remember it being mentioned that you need to schedule another appointment for that, although I could be wrong) but is that all I need to expect and/or worry about?

Thanks

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

YOU session

YOU session only has a few parts. There's colour perception testing, aptitude testing, careers counsellor interview (with a Navy/Army/Air Force person) and a medical questionnaire that you go through with a nurse. The entire point of the YOU Session is to see if you're eligible to join (aptitude, citizenship, education, age) but there's no actual requirement for you to bring anything to the YOU Session in order to prove eligibility. It's full retard.

Really though, to make a good impression you should bring in school reports (one year of the highest level you've achieved), any tertiary qualifications you have, passport or birth certificate, driver's licence and any paperwork you've already been sent out (like application forms or police checks).

The aptitude test is like your friend described it. The colour perception and medical questionnaire are both done with a nurse, they're very straightforward. The interview is just talking about you: why you want to join, education, sport, hobbies, living situation. It's nothing that you shouldn't be able to answer immediately because all the questions are about you.

The medical assessment is done at the job interview day (assessment day) and you don't get to the job interview day until you've submitted all your paperwork after your YOU session. The fitness test is done within four weeks of joining.

If you need any more info just yell out. :) Which state are you doing your YOU session in?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dude McAwesome posted:

YOU session only has a few parts. There's colour perception testing, aptitude testing, careers counsellor interview (with a Navy/Army/Air Force person) and a medical questionnaire that you go through with a nurse. The entire point of the YOU Session is to see if you're eligible to join (aptitude, citizenship, education, age) but there's no actual requirement for you to bring anything to the YOU Session in order to prove eligibility. It's full retard.

Really though, to make a good impression you should bring in school reports (one year of the highest level you've achieved), any tertiary qualifications you have, passport or birth certificate, driver's licence and any paperwork you've already been sent out (like application forms or police checks).

The aptitude test is like your friend described it. The colour perception and medical questionnaire are both done with a nurse, they're very straightforward. The interview is just talking about you: why you want to join, education, sport, hobbies, living situation. It's nothing that you shouldn't be able to answer immediately because all the questions are about you.

The medical assessment is done at the job interview day (assessment day) and you don't get to the job interview day until you've submitted all your paperwork after your YOU session. The fitness test is done within four weeks of joining.

If you need any more info just yell out. :) Which state are you doing your YOU session in?

Alright thanks for the info! I'll be doing my YOU session in Adelaide, SA. And good tip in regards to bringing school reports, etc. - I've got a folder with a bunch of reports/certificates and the like, which I wasn't 100% certain about whether I need to bring, but I think I will now, definitely. (Since I mean, do I get contacted before the interview, or is it just that automated one confirming when I need to go, and that's it? Since I've received nothing in regards to what to bring, dress code and the like; just an automated "get there before 8:30am") But yeah, I agree with you on the lack of bringing required documents - I mean, I know they get your drivers license number, etc. in the application, but I would've thought they'd ask you to bring something.

Anyway, thanks again! I'll likely have another question or two closer to the interview date that I can pester you all about, heh

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Anyway, thanks again! I'll likely have another question or two closer to the interview date that I can pester you all about, heh

Feel free to PM me your email address and I'll do what I can to help out.

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross
Welp, the countdown is on. The other countdown. My Authority to Separate has come through last week. My official date is the posting change-over in January but I have only 4 working weeks left.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

FYAD KNIGHT posted:

Welp, the countdown is on. The other countdown. My Authority to Separate has come through last week. My official date is the posting change-over in January but I have only 4 working weeks left.

I've been out for a week now. I got into uni and am kicking along with that. Life owns bro, good on you for making the decision to get the gently caress out.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Uh so, as my interview is on Monday, I have just looked through the paperwork I had been given to take with me (at least I hope I wasn't required to post anything - one of the documents had 'mail to [address] or take to your recruitment centre', so I'm guessing that'll be fine for me to bring in on the day?) and I've noticed that I hadn't filled in a 'Statutory Declarations Act 1959' form that requires a valid witness from a list of departments. This includes the specified members of the ADF (an officer, an NCO with five or more years of experience or a warrant officer), so am I able to take it in with me and fill it all out there? (similarly, should I do this, or will that make it look like I don't plan ahead much/at all for not doing this before with an accepted non-ADF person?) Thanks

EDIT: vvv Huh. Well, alright then, I guess I'll just bring it along untouched, on the off-chance they do want it filled in, I guess.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 16, 2013

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

You won't need the stat dec. The only time I ever needed anyone to fill one in was if they were underage and didn't have contact with both of their parents, the stat dec removed the requirement for both parents to have to sign their paperwork.

Why do they send it out? :iiam:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, poo poo. After all that worrying about paperwork and the testing, I can't join because I'm medically unfit; not because I collapse whenever I do anything more than a brisk walk, but because I've got no vision in one eye. I can see perfectly fine with the other eye, (as in, the only thing I'm lacking is literally just a bit of peripheral vision on the left - it's not as though I've got any depth perception issues, or like, only having 50% of the field of vision a regular person would have. The only real 'issue' is the fact that it gets a little strained if I read lots of small text without glasses, so nothing insurmountable on that front*.) but due to the nerve connecting my left eye to my brain never fully developed pre-birth - unless a way to transplant an optic nerve comes along in a hurry - it looks like I'm in a bad situation, in regards to my ADF application, even though I essentially just want to work in the Army's IT department.

But yeah, I was told that I have the option to appeal this decision, although aside from about five minutes of the nurse giving a not-gonna-happen look while telling me how it'll be next to impossible for me to get a job with the Army given the circumstances, it doesn't seem all that likely to work out if I do make the attempt, seeing as they're after not only good overall vision, but good vision in both eyes. So uh, I don't suppose there's anything I can do about this? Like, is that vision requirement the same for all three branches, or are there differences between the three, in that department? (I doubt it, but it can't hurt to check, I suppose)

Anyway, thanks again for the help you've all given me these past few months everyone, even if it did turn out to be fruitless!

*Since I mean, I'm actually qualified to drive without glasses, as overall I do have good vision. I even forget that I've actually got any real kind of serious/noteworthy vision impairment, which explains why I didn't think to mention it and ask you all about it months ago, which likely would've saved me a lot of hassle if I had. Oh well.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 19, 2013

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Anyway, thanks again for the help you've all given me these past few months everyone, even if it did turn out to be fruitless!

Keep your chin up bro. You gave it a crack, what more could you have done?

You've just saved yourself 4-6 years of being bossed around by literal retards, so if anything, you've actually beat the ADF. Well done.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
All live-ins woken up at 8am today for a parade and random drug test. Pretty rude. Also quite certain about half of the people there were still drunk, heh.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dude McAwesome posted:

Keep your chin up bro. You gave it a crack, what more could you have done?

You've just saved yourself 4-6 years of being bossed around by literal retards, so if anything, you've actually beat the ADF. Well done.

Well that's certainly one of looking at it, I suppose! But anyway, at least I dodged one potential bullet - since when I was at the YOU session, I found that a really creepy/weird/oh-god-stay-back guy I knew from high school was attending the very same session. Thankfully, I managed to avoid contact with him, but yeah, I feel sorry for anyone who will be stuck with him if he does get into the ADF. (Since he probably doesn't look too bad on paper, I'm guessing) Especially as knowing him, he'll be trying to become an officer - although from what you've said, he may just fit right into that crowd!

Heh, I suppose there's a silver lining for everything; since there's no way in hell I'd want to be stuck with him any more than what I have already been in the past. Well, back to looking for civvie IT jobs..

EDIT: vvv Urgh, I just hope I never have to see his smug face if he is ever given a position that allows him to be in charge of people (thus granting him relative immunity from being called out for his annoying behaviour)...

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 25, 2013

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

I found that a really creepy/weird/oh-god-stay-back guy I knew from high school was attending the very same session.

That gentleman will join, and become a middle of the road career NCO. Or a horrible officer. He'll eventually be put in charge of people despite the fact he's an idiot and has no leadership qualities.

Do you see what I"m getting at here? Not being able to join the ADF was a good thing.

Inebriated
Oct 21, 2010

The Stygian posted:

All live-ins woken up at 8am today for a parade and random drug test. Pretty rude. Also quite certain about half of the people there were still drunk, heh.

I'm assuming this is a training base? If they tried that poo poo here people would just laugh and go back to bed, if they even got up at all.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Inebriated posted:

I'm assuming this is a training base? If they tried that poo poo here people would just laugh and go back to bed, if they even got up at all.

Certainly is. Another one conducted this morning also, 0730. RSM has caught a scent of something, I reckon.

sos
Dec 9, 2004

The Stygian posted:

Certainly is. Another one conducted this morning also, 0730. RSM has caught a scent of something, I reckon.

Are you in Artillery dude?

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
edit: nevermind. No, I'm not in Artillery.

The Stygian fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 25, 2013

threeseven
Jan 7, 2001
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
We were supposed to have a four day weekend this week but someone decided it was critically important that we all worked yesterday, now this pointless Tuesday off tastes like ash in my mouth.

Chazzwazza
Nov 4, 2003
RumpleForeSkin

threeseven posted:

We were supposed to have a four day weekend this week but someone decided it was critically important that we all worked yesterday, now this pointless Tuesday off tastes like ash in my mouth.

I'd rather have it off then have to attend the mandatory Brigade Melbourne Cup function. Can't I just sit in my office and approve leave apps in peace?

fatman
Oct 20, 2005

"I DON'T WANT A RIOTING SCUMBAG AS A NEIGHBOUR"? WELL I DON'T WANT A FUCKWIT GUN NUT AS A POSTER
:fuckoff:

threeseven posted:

Hello stranger

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
My four day weekend was amazing. Next up: 6 weeks of Christmas standdown.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

The Stygian posted:

All of my weekends are 4 (or 7) day weekends now that I'm out. It's the best. Being a student is sweet.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

The Stygian posted:

I have 8 weeks off but it's going to leave me with only 5 or so days on my book. Enjoy being a trainee while you can!

Phlyte
Nov 29, 2011
Ciggie break at my YOU interview, that feel when you're one of two in a suit but you're a dickhead who only has a white dress shirt instead of a business shirt... what made you feel like a clown when you did the interview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

On my YOU day the corporal in the interview asked if I knew about training etc and I mentioned 28 days then 16 day increments and he gave me a bit of a headshake, told me that the officer training is completely different and that I really needed to research this a bit better. I was pretty thrown off, I thought I'd had a good read and knew my stuff. A few minutes later as he's clicking through the website it clearly states that everyone, officers included, do 28 days at Kapooka first and that he was wrong. So awkward.

• Locked thread