Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Butyraceous posted:

You eventually get used to it and go into a detached fugue state where your body does your job while your brain kicks back and does nothing.

I've worked at kmart for 11 years. I'm in permanent fugue. Also, I still love Christmas and black friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

About 20 minutes ago this man walks up to me and doesn't say a word. Just stares at me even after I ask if he needs help.

No response so I speak a little louder "sir, is there something I can help you with?"

He continues with his blank stare. So I go to put a return back on the counter and he grabs the item out of my hands and says "don't you ever ignore me when I'm talking to you, boy. Next time you'll regret it." He couldn't be much older than me... I'm 29.

So I apologized and asked what he needed and he just walks off. Not another word. Holding the pizza pan with an out stretched arm knocking things off the counter as he walked away. Then he loving Frisbeed the pizza pan over towards toys. My toy guy said it hit a shelf a few feet away from his head.

I love retail!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

PitViper posted:

We did this at my old store once. Called the local tow company, they sent like 5 trucks and cleared out our fire lane out front twice in an hour. Then our market manager yelled at our management team, because apparently towing people parked in a fire lane for an hour isn't "good customer service".

(LP - Loss Prevention, or Asset Protection)

Ive only seen 1 vehicle ever get towed at my store, and it was because my LP manager watched the woman walk up to me and say "You shits better not even think about towing my truck." while jabbing me in the chest with her finger. LP Manager called it in on the spot, and the perk to using a company that is less than a 1 minute drive away became fairly evident as the tow truck showed up in less than 5 minutes.

The customer was shopping around for probably close to an hour, and as she finished checking out, my LP manager walked over and told her that the truck had been towed. "Bullshit, you idiots wouldnt DARE gently caress with me. Ill have your loving jobs if my trucks not there." at which point i called the store director to give him a heads up on the situation.

So, we stood at customer service while we waited for our store director to come over and the woman runs over screaming at me "YOU DONT KNOW WHO YOU loving MESSED WITH. I SWEAR YOUR GOING TO loving REGRET THIS!"

for perspective, im 5'10" and 250lbs. shes maybe 5' and probably around 125lbs. She starts shoving me back, or trying rather. All her weight behind these shoves and its hardly doing anything.

Another customer walks up and starts telling the woman to calm down, and she balls her fists and starts moving at me like shes gonna punch me and the guy pulls out badge. He was an off-duty police officer. She was now yelling at the cop to arrest me because i was involved in the theft of her vehicle and that i had tried to physically assault her while stealing the truck.

We all (the cop, LP, me, store director, and the angry customer) all go to the LP camera room where the cop makes the woman sit down while the LP manager tells the whole story and the other LP guy starts going through the footage showing her park in the fire zone, close up of her jabbing me in the chest, then to the customer service footage of her shoving me. And then, i was asked if i wanted to press charges. The look on the womans face at this point was PRICELESS.

In hindsight, i probably should have pressed charges. But i didnt. Because i was an idiot. Instead, our regional manager came to the store and said we are never to call a tow on a customer again. But, the LP Regional manager said we did the right thing and to IMMEDIATELY call a tow on any vehicle in the fire zone if the driver exits the vehicle. He told us if this kind of situation ever comes up again to call him and he would deal with anyone trying to tell us we were in the wrong.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Now, a new story, becuase im curious to also find out other peoples worst experiences in this kind of regard.

This happened a couple years ago, but still remember it pretty clearly. Pretty much the worst thing ive ever seen happen at the store.

One of my coworkers called me up on the walkie to go to customer service, she wanted to know if i could walk her out to her car since there were some guys outside the door arguing and we were waiting for the police to show up. So i said "Sure, not a problem."

Well, we get to the door, and as we walk outside, one of the 2 guys pulls a knife from his pocket and they start dancing around each other a bit. Then he lunges and stabs the 2nd guy in the chest and then runs away. First time ive ever seen someone get stabbed... He was about 5 feet away from me.

He kinda just stops for a few seconds and stares at me. He gets a little closer and lifts his shirt and says "I got stabbed bro... What do i do?" i told to drop his arm and come inside, called 911 while finding a chair for the guy to sit on. When i brought the chair over, he lifted his shirt again and said "Look man, i got stabbed" and this really watery blood just kinda starts pumping out and down his stomach, like very little red to it. Didnt look like anything id ever seen in a movie. He was stabbed about 3 inches directly below the right nipple. I told him he needed to keep his arm down and not to keep raising it. I was afraid the knife had probably punctured the lung. Sure enough, he starts having breathing problems. Kept talking to the guy to try and keep his focus off the breathing and pain... Guy kept talking about his son and the things they were supposed to do over the next few days.

Paramedics finally showed up, but drat that was hard. I have literally 0 first aid training/skills, most i knew to do was keep pressure cupped around the wound and that was about it. I was panicking so hard, but trying to keep a non-panicked outward appearance was difficult as hell. I didnt want to make him panic. We had nobody in the store with any first aid training at all.

And then, to top this poo poo night off, my manager said "You shouldnt have involved yourself with that."

Then, our resident ex-skinhead (had 2 swastika tatoos that were pretty badly covered up) comes up to me "Holy poo poo, you hear about that guy who got stabbed while i was on lunch? DUDE HEARING THAT JUST FUCKIN MADE MY NIGHT :D! " the smiley is there for a reason. It was the exact look on his face as he tried to fist-bump me. He had no idea i was the one who dealt with that poo poo. Seriously, gently caress some people.

So, what are some of the WORST things that have happened at your stores that indirectly/directly involved you?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I kind of wonder if it's the nonstop "you don't want to let your coworkers down, do you?" propaganda that retail and food service vomits nonstop. They'll happily fire 40 people in one day, expect everybody else to pick up all the work suddenly not being done, but refuse to give raises or extra hours to compensate, but drat it don't you dare try to move on to something better than retail, you'll be letting your coworkers down!

I dont see a lot of that. But then, we average 5 floor associates a night, 2 in hard lines (domestics, housewares, furniture, sports, pantry/grocery, toys, and health and beauty) 2 in clothing, and 1 for electronics, luggage, garden, D.I.Y and Automotive. We usually have 2 cashiers, 2 front end/cashier supervisors (yeah, doesnt make sense.)

People are more worried about the extra workload they push on people when they call out. Our stores sales floor, not counting the Sears Outlet, is just over 120,000 square feet. Most of my associates dont give a poo poo about "letting people down". its all about knowing that if you call out, you are literally doubling their workload. And everyone knows it becuase weve all been in the situation where we are suddenly covering 6 departments instead of 3 each. And it sucks.

edit:

Liquid Communism posted:

Got robbed at gunpoint back in high school.

While running a Dairy Queen.

In February.

In Iowa.

The guy got like $50, wrecked his (stolen) car on ice five blocks down the road, and the cops picked him up on the way to respond to my call.

Hilarious in retrospect. Scared me shitless at the time, though.

Ive never been robbed myself, but a guy robbed our pharmacy while i was walking back and forth in front of it filling our bike racks. Guy had a sawed off double barreled shotgun. Probably better that i didnt see it happen or something REALLY bad could have happened.

and Bude: Holy poo poo dude... im so glad ive never had to see crap like that. Goriest thing that ever happened at my store took place on one of my off days, some woman stabbed herself in the wrist with a scissor blade and started to cut up her arm towards her elbow. So glad i missed that.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 22, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

PCOS: it was more that I was afraid if I had seen him he might have noticed me looking and then escalated the situation beyond just an armed robbery.

Lonesom: I'm not sure, but it seems to be something that people say who think they are a few notches higher on the chain than they actually are.

It's not as common a thing to hear as I thought it be though. I think I've heard maybe 3 or 4 times total in my 11 years here.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Had a manager meeting today! Several concerns were brought up to the store manager that other employees have had.

They were all calmly and fairly addressed and now it's a much better place to work.

Wait lol, just kidding. Store manager's response to most of the complaints was to "stop crying, you work in retail".

Christ I hate working here. It's soul crushing. :suicide:

Soul crushing? K mart has that. Hemoraging money, company sinking like the titanic... yeah. Kmart has soul crushing covored.

I got stuck last night covering all of hardlines and half of clothing due to call outs. My HR manager chewed me out for not getting the store straightened "100% because it was a slow night".(i was covering about 2/3 the sales floor because the one woman in clothing was also in charge of jewelry so she got stuck behind the counter for the majority of her shift.) And then to top it off, while I was in the middle of helping a customer, she interrupted me while trying to answer a question "if you can't handle the work it might be a good idea to find a job elsewhere".

I was in a fantastic mood before this. A little frustrated with how much I was covering but not upset in the least. I'd rather people call out if sick then pass some crap onto me possibly.

Needless to say after she said that I did literally nothing for the rest of the night except help customers.

She's a lovely HR manager to boot. The few times I've had to report other associates for serious issues (stalking, threatening to kill another associate and one guy talking about how he was planning on raping one of the new girls.) she would tell them I was the one reporting them. So much for confidentiality.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I think one of my co-workers hates me or something. Someone reported my posts in this thread (the guy getting knifed story, and the 3 issues i reported to HR) via printing them out, and information detailing "Grimcreaper = This Guy, heres proof" and giving them to my HR Manager. (she was livid when she approached me with the paper work. Pissed her off even more when i refused to sign it) I cant even refute it and say it wasnt me, becuase they have the knife incident on official record, with my hand written account, and the camera showing me right at the scene when it all happened as i described in the forum post.

Apparently, those posts count as "company confidential information" and i was given a "Final Warning pending Corporate Review". What makes it hilarious is that everyone in my store is having to redo the Acceptable Social Media Posting training again, and that crap is about 80-90 minutes or pure bullshit lol. Im considering filing a corporate complaint claiming im being cyber stalked and harassed since my posts were never linked to my name as my SA account has no personally identifiable information available via Profile. Any chance that would work?

You know.. its odd. Ive worked for the store for over 11 years now, and i have never had problems like ive had in the last 7 or 8 months. I think its a sign to get out of Sears Failings while i still have a good chance at immediate hire before everyone else abandons ship.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

epenthesis posted:

Wait, you know someone who hates you is reading your posts here and is using them to try to get you fired, and you're continuing to post about work?

Yeah. I really dont have issues with losing the job anymore. The company is failing miserably, my store is down to 2 shipments a week from 5, we are budgeted for 160 employees but my store director wont let HR hire any more so he gets his "budget-savings bonus" (were at 114 employees now).

I work the evenings and our shift is hit the hardest in terms of lack of employees. The few of us who are actually competent are getting chewed out on an almost daily basis becuase the other gently caress ups dont do anything. Not really worth the stress they have shoved on people in the last few months.

Also, i just started throwing out applications over the last few days. I fully intend to take advantage of my 2 week vacation coming up.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

princecoo posted:

Yeah, HR is right sorry. If you post poo poo about your job and they find out about it, they absolutely can make life poo poo for you. Even "liking" a facebook post someone else has made about a workplace you're employed at counts as if you'd posted it yourself.

Basically, never post about your workplace unless you're absolutely certain you won't get identified or sincerely don't give a poo poo about losing your job.

That said, whoever turned you in is kind of a huge dick. Guy who turned in grimcreaper, if you return to gather more evidence, please know you're an rear end in a top hat. Die in a freak grease fire. Thanks!

It turned out not to be bad. I was called in to sign some papers a few hours ago. Figured i was getting fired for the whole crap, but the HR Regional Managers response was basically "What you posted on the somethingawful.com forums is not actionable in any way. The only thing im going to ask of you is that you no longer use Kmart or Sears Holdings names in your posts and that you never release actual confidential information. We have also looked into the issue of your HR manager breaking company policy by giving out your name to people you have submitted formal complaints against. We see you did report it once officially to the HR District Manager and that he never reported the issue to me directly. I will continue to investigate that matter personally." And then he ended the call. I signed the paperwork stating i understood the Regional Managers decision, and went home. got payed for an entire hour to literally come in for 10 minutes to sign stuff. My HR manager looked quite pissed during the whole thing which made it awesome.

E: removing stuff.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 14, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Pumpy Dumper posted:

See now I personally would probably not post that the reason you're calling out is to spite the manager when they know your username here

Well, they cant argue the fact that i had a massive burst of diarrhea on my way out from the short meeting. The noises coming from my bathroom were... awful.. to say the least. The evening shift manager was in the break room grabbing stuff from his locker as i was heading out of the bathroom. He even asked "So.. uhhh... based on the noises... are you gonna be coming in tonight? That sounded pretty bad."

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm going to say this as politely as I can muster..... Are you loving retarded or something doing the exact thing they asked you not to do immediately after?

Pretty much. Its in context, and not confidential. If they use it against me, like i said, im not worried about things any more. The stress levels are beyond insane now with such reduced staff. Also, applications are out.

e: infos.

Ive been working at my store for 11 years. Theres a little bit of retard in that decision, no other explanation i can come up with.

I had never had problems until a little over 7 months ago when my then-manager became store director. Since his rise to power, the store has a palpable sense of "disgustingly hostile work environment" attached to it. We have lost more associates in this time than i usually see in a 2 year period (actual verified info with another manager) including seasonal temps. Several of our full timers have quit directly due to him and the way he treats people. These 3 all had 22-27 years under their belts. That says something about the situation now. He is more worried about getting himself ridiculous bonuses than he is about the actual store. For example, the staff budgeting crap. We are budgeted for 160 staff, and as of today, were at 113 (one of the electronics guys last day was today) all so our Store Director can get his yearly Budget Savings bonus of about $5,000. He intends to hire 7 people to round us out at 120. He is forcibly shorting us 40 people during holiday season for a bonus for himself.

So, do i care if im fired? Not anymore. If im let go, or quit, the company is required to pay out my vacation time, which is a hell of a lot more than i thought i had. Im sitting on nearly 250 hours worth. So at least ill get a nice leave bonus.

In the last 7 months, i have gone from a pretty happy employee, to an extremely bitter one.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 14, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Well, my previous posts ended up doing a few things I wouldn't have expected. The HR regional manager was here until about an hour ago and talked to me privately. Said he wasn't happy with the posts from the other day but he's a little more perturbed by what I had said regarding turn over rates and general moral of associates in the store.

He said he was kinda just walking and talking to associates to gauge how things were and was not impressed with the things people had to say about things/people. Asked me if I would be willing to put my words to paper regarding the whole situation. I agreed to do it so we will see what happens.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

He genuinely seems to care. I'm hoping for the best.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Reynold posted:

Don't you just love that? People that come in with totally hosed cards for months, or even years on end. When I inevitably asked them "Why don't you just call and have a new one sent to you?" They say "That's too much of a hassle." And then spend over a minute trying to swipe their card everywhere they go. Or worse, having you do it, and making lame rear end recommendations on how to get it to work like "wrap a plastic bag around it before you swipe". What a bunch of jackasses.

Actually.. the bag thing really works.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Reynold posted:

It depends on your credit card reader. It never worked on ours. Guess how people reacted when I told them this?

"Just try it anyway. It will work." is probably what they said.

just like the "Thats not the price that the sale sticker showed. Thats means its free."

or "I just made those bills a couple hours before coming in!"

"Uh yeah, that item was on a shelf in X(depertment no even related to said item) and the price sticker said Y. By law you have to give me that price." Side note to this one: Site the actual law and tell them they are wrong, and watch their face turn several shades of red ranging from 'mistakes were made' to 'gently caress it, im gonna beat your rear end but not actually' (only do this if its someone actually being a jerk.)

About 4 years ago, i had a lady come in, just pissed about every little thing in the store. She wanted to know where certain clothes were, then over to tools, then back to the clothing side, then over to furniture for her "final" item. "This store sucks. Your employees are awful" etc, etc, etc. She was given to me to deal with, like most of the problematic customers the managers and everyone else wont deal with.

customer "Wheres the price tag on this futon? Dont you idiots know the law? You have to have it priced or the customer gets it for free. Its a law to protect the Law Abiding citizens. Go get it. Ill have the truck ready by doors."
me: "Sorry ma'am, there is no such law. I can not and will not give you a $600 futon for free." As i said this, another associate called me on the walkie and said a customer had brought up a sales tag for the same futon and wanted it taken to layaway.

her "Your a loving idiot. Hey! You! Over here! I need help (she was franticly waving at another associate) Your idiot over here doesnt understand the law. Come over here!"

Before he could even say a word "Your such a good kid, you probably know the laws on this. You need to go get one of these for me since its free because he (points at me) failed to correctly price it!"

Other associate "I have no idea whats going on here."

me "Shes claiming she gets a free futon because another customer grabbed the tag to take to a cashier since they didnt see anyone over here. Go grab one and bring it to layaway."

crazy, now angry, failed attempted-con artist " Hey kid. Bring it to the west doors. This moron doesnt know the law! If you ever need a place to stay, you can live with me. I make really good food!"

And thats the story of how one of my coworkers was offered a place to live becuase i dont know fake, made up, bullshit laws.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 23, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

That's actually true in Ontario (where I live), it's called the scanning code of practice or something and I think most retailers have to abide by it. At least, it applies for items under 10$, and only for the first item.

Of course this doesn't stop people from ignoring price stickers that have a sale date on them, or ignoring that the item was in the wrong place. Most people don't know it exists, but there's the odd person who, boy howdy knows, and is a giant dick about it.

Ouch... that really sucks.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ive got a few like that. They each show up about once or twice a month.

The downside is that im called to deal with them because nobody else will. One of them is a BIG buyer though. Im talking, 6 bunk beds, 4 washer/dryer combos, mattresses for each bed, 12 dressers Big Buyer every time hes in. Guy loves to tell stories about his youth.

Used to have one customer who would buy tons of ammo years ago. Everyone hated him, but i never could figure out why. He was always friendly, had some neat stories from when he was in Viet Nam, and always brought in different guns with him. One day he came in, full molly vest/tac gear, had 4 pistols in holsters, 2 on each side of the vest and did complete tear downs of each one and showed me how to properly maintain a handgun. It was pretty awesome. Sadly, the last time i saw the guy he was reminiscing about a friend of his. drat near in tears the whole time while telling me stories about his friend being the best damned Viet Nam pilot ever. "Ever seen a helicopter do a barrel roll?" After that day, he stopped coming in. Sadly, a few years later, a friend of his that he came with sometimes showed up and said the guy had committed suicide right after his wife died.

While there are things about retail ive started to really hate... There are people who show up every now and then who im glad ive had the chance to meet.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I know America is nuts and all, but surely people aren't permitted to just wander about in public wearing an armoury?

Depends on the states individual laws. Arizona really doesnt have much in the way of limiting. Hell, my state even abolished the need for a Concealed Carry license to hide a gun on you. You can just conceal whenever you want.

We do have some strange laws with knives/exotic melee weapons. Some are being changed though. Used to be limited to a blade with less than 1.5 inches unless you owned a concealed carry license. This got changed about a year after the gun law was changed. Now you can carry any length blade pretty much.

Arizona... Its the Wild West.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is the definition of the word, not that the gun would help them. It's just a security blanket. Which isn't a terrible thing, if they weren't so obnoxious about it.

I have never met a person who was obnoxious about having an open holstered gun.

The only thing that has ever bothered me are when the thugs come in with gun tucked into their pants or in their pocket and that's just because they are dressed like thugs about to do a robbery.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Faerunner posted:

Speaking of bulbs, we sold out of the loving projection bulbs again. 20 days to go till xmas and I have to listen to every third customer in the seasonal aisles asking where the projection lights are.

You'd think that corporate would get the hint and order more of those drat things, but nooooooo. 3 years in a row of selling out the first week they're stocked is TOTALLY OKAY. Just take off the shelf tag and spread other products to fill in the space! It's like they were never there at all!

This time of year makes me feel crazy... I adore singing christmas carols and seeing the first snow fall and the smell of fresh evergreens but I also suffer seasonal depression and HATE everything about Christmas in Retail. I didn't even put up a tree last year because I was just so Christmas-ed out after work.

I get tons of people wanting that new As Seen on TV StarShower thing. I dont know about most people, but i dont want lasers shining on windows i MIGHT look out of and damage my eyes more than they already are. Looking at some of our customers has done quite a number on them already.

Also, you know your in for a few terrible days when your shifts start, and end, with one of the good managers saying "So.. I got some bad news, and some bad news. What do you want first?"

We have replaced almost all of the competent employees with fresh, out of high schoolers/starting college idiots and boy does it show. The high school shitshow drama is in effect full force. I have never seen such a dysfunctional staff. Im talking the WHOLE high schooler experience here. From the stupid/petty cliques forming, to the lovely "relationship drama" affecting everything. Weve got one particular girl whos playing 4 or 5 guys against each other and has totally hosed their ability to work with each other because they dont understand that work should be seperate from outside work poo poo drama. So they argue, anytime they are closer than 45 feet to each other. Its absolutely insane and our HR manager wont do a thing about it unless someone hits another person. Shes stood right in the middle of some of these arguments and just smiles, shrugs, and walks away. God forbid i accidentally swear in the back, outside of customers hearing range. Thats worth HALF AN INFRACTION! But these guys, screaming on the sales floor(full on swearing and threats mind you) at each other doesnt do a thing.

I cant figure out what the hell is happening at my store anymore. The customers have been very pleasant but the newer associates are driving me insane. Not a single one of them is reliable in any way shape or form. Im getting chewed out constantly because they dont do anything and the store director loves to use the "You are one of the most experienced associates on the sales floor. You need to make sure these new guys are doing their job."

I got pretty upset the other day when he pulled that one me. He 'talked' with me for nearly 15 minutes with threats of 'correctives and infractions'. I responded pretty harshly back with "If you expect me to 'supervise and babysit' then you drat well need to increase my pay to compensate. We have been in a pay freeze for 8 years now and these rear end in a top hat kids are getting payed 40 cents less than me to literally do nothing. Either give me a raise and ill try to supervise, or put me down to minimum and ill do nothing like them. Your call" and walked out without letting him respond. Had to take today off though due to some serious bronchitis issues. My mucus is rainbow in all the colors of yellow, green, and red :D!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

devin2 posted:

Note to anyone promoted to lovely retail management: you can rephrase this as "hey, thanks for all the help with the new hires. You're doing an awesome job and I really appreciate it. Please keep an eye on the new people and let me know if there's anything I need to take care of."

It's a few more words but there's a loving reason my employees all like me more than my boss.

This is so true. It takes little effort to at least seem genuine in this kind of response as well. It gos a LONG way to getting people to be more willing to do things for you.

My store director for instance, when he sits and chews ME out for someone else not doing their work makes me instantly go into "minimum effort" mode for the rest of the time hes at the store. He likes to do this at the start of my shifts on the days hes the manager for the evening as well and just doesnt get it.

My other 2 managers: I do my best to help them out as much as possible. They know how to treat people. When they say "Please" or "Thank you" its not an afterthought tacked on several seconds after the end of the conversation in a tone that says "gently caress you i dont really care" like our Store Director.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Last night i got a good chuckle. One of our new employees, a door greeter, was asking about his break. He was asked if he could wait until our loss prevention were done watching a couple who keep coming in and trying to roll out with huge carts (usually $1200+ worth of stuff)

About 20 minutes later, im walking by and he grabs my shoulder and says "You need to stand here so i can take my Federally Mandated break. By law, my break is protected and i will NOT stand here and have it taken from me!" he was absolutely pissed because he was asked to wait. Note: I was next to him, showing a member a couple things on some fixtures right behind his podium when they asked him politely to wait a little bit.

So, with him refusing to let go of my shoulder i got to inform him of Arizona state law AND federal law regarding breaks and that he, in fact, does not have any federal or state protected break periods. "If you dont believe me, ill stand here for 5 minutes and wont count it against your break, so you can pull up Arizona Labor Laws on your phone and check it out." he finally let go of me and sat down between the set of double doors and pulled up the laws and then promptly punched out and threw his name badge at the LP manager as she was walking by to say "Thank you" for waiting a little to go on break. She asked me what happened and when i told her, she was kinda dumbfounded about the whole situation. Im still confused as to why you would quit over something like that though. But it made me laugh. And i feel bad, kinda.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

We keep our door greeters pretty busy by having them EAS hard tag all the sports apparel merchandise valued over $20 thats sitting less than 20 feet from the door. It is literally, the worst. I think i rather clean the bathrooms than stand at the door OR tag stuff.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

reformed bad troll posted:

Genuine question, in America is it the norm for supermarkets to employ people that say "hi, welcome to ..."?

It genuinely baffles me that people are paid to do this and that shops see it as something a customer would want.

Its a theft deterrent measure more so than a greeting. Its the company saying "We have someone at the door whos to frail and old to stop you, so youl feel really bad when you just walk on by them."

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

Having been this particular jerk primary wrangler for the last three years I can assure you that if you were in my shoes you'd be saying the same thing.

My shop owner is a tremendous idiot for keeping this guy on staff. At this point I suspect that his continued employment was written into the purchasing agreement for when he took over.

Im willing to bet its more they are afraid to try and fire him. We had a cart guy that managed 3 years while being absolutely awful to customers and swearing, etc. Finally, they fired him. His handler showed up with some legal notices and some writ from a lawyer saying it was discrimination. Too bad for her we had video evidence of him ramming a stack of about 10 carts into the side of a car... 3 times, back to back... at a dead run each time. Repairs came out to just shy of $15,000. If i remember right the car was a Ferrari of some kind.

Had a guy call me some choice things tonight when i told him Western Union was closed while he was filling out the paper. Had to reiterate "By company Policy, not the store policy, we can not do Western Union after 9:00pm. We cant even log in to the system." His response "Your a loving moron. Get your bitch rear end manager over here." He had no idea the guy standing next to him was the manager on duty for the evening. "Im the manager and you need to leave my store." as he picked up the Western Union paper and ripped it up in front of the guy.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Today was a fun day. This has been one of those Christmases that you hear about but never see.

Almost every customer is pissed off about something. Employees are freaking out and being awful to each other... it's odd. So much anger is depressing to deal with.

We have a few associates who are having a sort of bake off for tomorrow to lift people's spirits. So atleast some good is happening.

Out of curiosity, anyone else have this issue? Most of the associates seem to think I want to hear about their past. the wierd "let me tell you my life story and why this affects me" kinda stuff. You know, the stuff that most people would pretty much only tell a close friend or family member and sometimes not even then? The darker parts of their past kinda stories that are horribly depressing and sad.
While taking my break I sat outside and one of the new cashiers came out and sat next to me. She asked a few questions on if this Christmas is normal and stuff and then full broke out into some really horribly depressing stuff about herself... I had no idea what to say or do... she just sat there sobbing for a little while.

The stories these people tell me.. holy poo poo do they sometimes put my life into perspective. The poo poo I've seen, the people I've lost... a lot of it pales in comparison to the stuff in some of these people's stories.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

My company took sign ups for Secret Santa, then never paired people up so nobody got anything.

We tried to do a Secret Santa thing years ago, but LP came down on us and said "No you cant becuase theres a chance someone might steal store merchandise to use as a gift" and everyone involved got written up. It was absolutely ridiculous.

edit: the write up was done under "wasting company time while on the clock" even though it had only been discussed on break and a few of us on our own time via chat.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 28, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

yeah, most likely. We got rid of Employee of the Month 4 or 5 years ago. Now its a "Loss Prevention Accident Preventer of the Month" and its given out at random for people doing stuff like cleaning up spills. Its dumb. Even then, the person is changed out about every 3 months or so.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Well then. Sounds like he deserved that award for taking the trip and fall himself instead of letting some customer who could sue the store! Where would we be without these selfless individuals who take the damage for us?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

reformed bad troll posted:

You got your stuff at a good price.

Why do people (particularly Americans) feel like they need the worker to sooth them and make them feel better? Who cares if they chatted to their bagging buddy or not? You got what you went for with zero hassle.

Nobody said anything about "soothing" them. Its about being acknowledged and creating a positive customer experience. The better the overall experience, including being acknowledged, translates to a higher and more frequent return rate and usually a larger purchase amount.

I only have some studies done at my retail chain, but people who are Members and often have positive experiences spend about 17% more per visit. It may not seem to be much on a per sale basis, but it ads up quick when your talking about hundreds of transactions per day.

It all stems from the idea of making your customer feel like they are a part of the family/company. A warm smile, a greeting, and general engagement go a long way towards making people feel like you *care* about them.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

We had a surprise visit from our regional manager. He was all laughs and smiles over an HR manager getting demoted and shifted to the other end of the country for trying to bring something up against my store director.

I didnt get to hear a lot of the conversation, so one of the assistant managers told me what happened right before i got off for the night... My store Director and our Regional HR manager used to work together. Something happened between them and they were both almost fired for whatever it was. When the HR guy tried to bring up issues against my store director, our District manager pushed higher up and claimed it was a retaliatory attack for whatever had happened at the other store and the HR manager was demoted for the whole thing.

Welp, looks like my store director has been given a free pass to continue treating people like poo poo. gently caress my store, and our corporate. Its lovely people like my store director that are helping Sears Holdings tank like a loving rock. Not a single person gives a gently caress about the store anymore.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

That reminds me of an exchange I had the other day, only my customer was a native English speaker.

:geno: : "Hi. Help you with something?"
:) : "Yes! I'm, um, looking for some dough."
:geno: : "Well, we've got the canned stuff in dairy, and some frozen stuff over on aisle 4."
:) : "No, I mean... cooked dough."
:raise: : "... Bread?"

After a few more minutes of playing 25,000 Pyramid with her, I figured out she was looking for pizza crusts.

"No no... the other dough. The kind that's really round and is used for those round things you cook with stuff on them. You know, the things! They are round... Things! You know what I'm talking about! Stop pretending you dont!"

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I was cleaning the restroom this evening and I saw a customer rip open a package, stuff the merch that was inside into his coat, and toss the package on the ground before going and taking a piss. I went and got my supervisor and the supervisor stood outside the restroom with me. When I pointed out the dude who took the merch, the supervisor just watched him walk all the way to the door and out of the store. I asked why the supervisor didn't stop him, and the supervisor said "...what do you want me to do?"

God I hate this job sometimes.

I would firmly stand by his decision. I've had a knife pulled on me before and wouldn't risk it again. Several of my lp had a guy pull a shotgun on them when they followed the thief to his truck.

Always remember: there is NOTHING that anyone can steal that's worth your life in your work place.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Do not answer the phone. How is this so hard for some of you? If it is important, they'll leave a message.

Important, you say? "Hey, just giving you a heads up that 6 people called in tonight so your going to be running 10 departments. You will have all of Hardlines, shoes, men's wear, and layaway. I told the front end supervisor to not call you for Code C's at all and i expect the store to be 100% straightened. Im coming in early tomorrow to prep for the District Managers arrival so i need you to REALLY try your best tonight. Oh yeah, the new girl will be in charge of Jewelry, women's wear, and lingerie."

Then, 10 minutes before i start to head out... "So... Ive got some bad news. The new girl quit. You have the entire sales floor tonight. Make sure everything is One Hundred Percent."

If work calls, its always bad.

I would rather have gone into that with absolutely no knowledge. Instead, listening to the first message had me hating the 5 hours before i went into work.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Butyraceous posted:

I've only gotten a check a few times but I always make sure to say "Wow, I don't get these often! Now how do I do this again?" and click a lot of the wrong options just to waste some time, even though I know exactly how to process the check.

We actually got ripped off via check because somehow a cashier caught that they hadn't signed their name on the check, but didn't notice they didn't put an amount down. The person probably poo poo themselves when the cashier noticed something was up and then felt like a god when they still got away with it.

Speaking of trying to get away with it, a few days ago we got three fake bills. We hadn't gotten a fake bill since we first opened, so it was crazy that we had three in one day. The one I handled was a fake 50 that was given to me by a Hispanic dude that seemed to speak no English. I told him the total and he mimed the whole, "I don't know what you're saying so I'm gonna look at the screen to see the total" thing. He handed me the 50, and when I held it up to the light and hesitated because I didn't see the watermark, he said "Es Bueno!" and so I turned to him and said, "No es bueno. There is no watermark, I can't take this." He then said, "God drat it, alright." and left.

I'm surprised every time when people act disadvantaged to take advantage. I also think it's funny when people say "I got this from the bank!" which is the usual thing people say when they get caught with a fake. Do they not realize how incredibly stupid that sounds? Like, I don't give a poo poo you have fake money, I'm just not gonna take it.

My store runs all checks as debit transactions by pulling funds using the routing numbers. it scans the check, puts VOIDVOIDVOIDVOID all over the front of it and does the funds transfer immediatly. We then give the check back. its odd.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Aristophanes posted:

Goddamn, the people who come around the counter to see what I've got on my screen, and want to conduct the whole transaction standing next to me and watching. Get away from me.

Well, too be fair, you cant catch all the mistakes yourself, now can you?

My retailer often has tons of incorrect prices on Sunday and Monday because our computers suck. The only thing that irritates me are the customers who repeat every price 3 times before finally letting you scan the next item. "3.99... 3.99? That came up at 3.99 right?! 12.49... 12.49? That was 12.49 right?!" Repeat for every single item thats scanned.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Leal posted:

Dear Customer In A Grocery Store,

You're in a grocery store. This isn't Walmart. No we do not have car cleaning supplies. No we do not have food heaters or pasta makers or cell phone chargers. We have: Food. If you want Food you came to the right place, if you want something that isn't Food you're in the wrong place.

Regard, Minimum Wage Employee Fed Up With Snooty Fucks Yelling At Them Cause Their Grocery Store Doesn't Carry Non Food Items.

Dear Employee in a Grocery Store,

Regarding your recent post, I believe you should venture out to a local Fry's Food, or a Safeway, or any other large grocery store chain. You will, in fact, find car cleaning supplies, food warmers, and cell phone chargers. Pasta Makers are rare, but every now and then they do show up.

Signed, with the utmost respect, a Retail Store Employee who used to also have a full grocery in his store, and just purchased a rice cooker and a cheapo 4$ phone charger from Fry's Food and Drug.

While the post was written in a style to just joke around, I am being serious on the food stores carrying those products. At least all over Tucson, every major Grocery Store carries a small line of house wares/tablewares stuff and most even carry patio furniture. I cant even think of any small mom and pop style grocers that didnt have, at the very least, food warmers and rice cookers. Cell phone chargers are pretty much in every store in tucson, even the local smoke shops and skeezy liquor stores.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm a big fan of "I have cancer." Shuts them up and makes them less likely to ask probing questions of other cashiers.

Had a cashier try that a few years ago... the creep decided it was an open invitation for saying things like 'that just means we get to try everything in a very short amount of time'. It ramped up in terrible pretty quick and eventually the police had to get involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

My store no longer has a night crew for stocking, so no one is being held responsible for incorrectly stocking things. It is considered 2nd shifts job now to "make sure stuff was stocked by morning crew correctly, or you get a write up if it stays wrong."

Whoever had worked 4 pallets of freight this morning didnt give a poo poo about where anything went (They even left the pallets standing on their sides leaning against a quad. Yay OSHA violation!). Stuck stuff in every hole. Cannon Towel aisle? Shove those $149.99 Jaclyn Smith Bed in a Bag's in any spot big enough for em! Even if that shelf spot says $4.99!
Curtain aisles, the base plates were FILLED with towels, hand towels, and curtains because gently caress finding the right spots! I cant even convey how hosed the entire department was. I was getting price check calls all night for expensive poo poo that was pushed into super cheap spots while trying to fix everything. The Curtains were the worst(had to manually look at each curtain/upc to match them up). It took me my entire 7 hour shift just to fix that department.

And heres the kicker. I took pictures of some of the stuff so i could show my store director what had happened. But oh no! The Security Manager just happened to see me take the pictures on camera and told me i had to delete them or face immediate termination! Apparently, taking pictures of stuff is against company policy because i MIGHT be sending pics to people who intend to steal stuff or I might be posting them to websites and saying bad things about Kmart!

I asked to see the security footage to find out who hosed me over, but NOPE! Not allowed to do that either! Bringing it up with management counts as RETALIATION! So I was told by my LP manager that i am not allowed to do anything or even report it or Ill get in trouble for retaliating against someone. "Retaliation is a very serious thing and people often lose their jobs because of it."