Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

grover posted:

I'm sure they'll word the experience requirements so that they still exclude anyone who's not already in the IRS.

They don't need to. It's perfectly legal to advertise for agency employees only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

fivetwo posted:

AFOSI Stuff

Thanks for all this, man!

While I'm at it, would any of you Fed Goons have any info about getting a job in the Pentagon?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Filter your job search by DoD. Or look private sector for a contractor.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Here is a related question.

It is for a contractor in an overseas embassy. I was in the process for an immigration assistant position, but apparently I did so appallingly bad that I scored a 1/5 on the ILR.( I can only attribute this to being nervous as all hell, I could barely think.) But they want to continue my employment as a custodian at the embassy (which strangely makes 100 more than the immigration assistant).

So my question is this, should I do it anyway? Would whatever clearance they would issue a janitor be worth working as a janitor overseas? I guess once I get re-accustomed to using the language everyday as I used to, I would be able to show them that I actually know the language.

Edit: Apparently it is a TS clearance. I think I should soldier on.
Edit 2: Basically the salary is pretty much the same as the previous job I was hoping to get, a few thousand over over the host country's average PPP, with tax exemption and free housing and utilities.

Anyone have an opinion?

VVV That seems a little off. I am obviously not in government but I have had a full-scope poly and background investigation done on me and I was told lying is the worst you could do. Generally unless you were a pothead and sold and grew a lot of pot they don't care. If they were isolated occurrences, and haven't done it for at least a year or two I don't think they would care, although they would probably investigate the occurrences further to make sure you aren't shortchanging or anything.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 22, 2010

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
Small clearance related question:

I was just offered a job for a defence contractor, that would require Secret clearance. I looked over the application form and I won't have a problem with any of it, but I did use pot like 4-5 times back in college (over 3 years ago).

My hiring contact basically said the check is "Credit check, felony check, you're clear", but is there any chance that'll jeopardize the investigation?

I've talked with FBI folks who have said 'yeah, we know kids do pot in college, that's fine', but my hiring contact basically told me everything short of "just lie and don't put anything". That seems unwise if I ever want TS and the polygraph required there.

I'm just hesitant to jump ship from an existing job to this one if there's even a chance the I won't get clearance (and would be subsequently fired).

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008

Necronomiconomist posted:

I was just offered a job for a defence contractor, that would require Secret clearance. I looked over the application form and I won't have a problem with any of it, but I did use pot like 4-5 times back in college (over 3 years ago).

My hiring contact basically said the check is "Credit check, felony check, you're clear", but is there any chance that'll jeopardize the investigation?

I've talked with FBI folks who have said 'yeah, we know kids do pot in college, that's fine', but my hiring contact basically told me everything short of "just lie and don't put anything". That seems unwise if I ever want TS and the polygraph required there.

I'm just hesitant to jump ship from an existing job to this one if there's even a chance the I won't get clearance (and would be subsequently fired).

Cover you rear end. Keep a copy of the hiring contract on you and DO NOT LIE on an SF-86.

I too smoked weed back in college and was approved for a Secret clearance, but I did not get my interim clearance because of that same usage. The company that was going to hire me instead hired someone else as a result and left me out to dry yet kept my clearance application active. I'm now working private sector but I do have a DoD Secret clearance on file if I ever want to get another govt job.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Here is a related question.

It is for a contractor in an overseas embassy. I was in the process for an immigration assistant position, but apparently I did so appallingly bad that I scored a 1/5 on the ILR.( I can only attribute this to being nervous as all hell, I could barely think.) But they want to continue my employment as a custodian at the embassy (which strangely makes 100 more than the immigration assistant).

So my question is this, should I do it anyway? Would whatever clearance they would issue a janitor be worth working as a janitor overseas? I guess once I get re-accustomed to using the language everyday as I used to, I would be able to show them that I actually know the language.

Edit: Apparently it is a TS clearance. I think I should soldier on.
Edit 2: Basically the salary is pretty much the same as the previous job I was hoping to get, a few thousand over over the host country's average PPP, with tax exemption and free housing and utilities.

Anyone have an opinion?

I do, those phone language tests are kinda bogus wrt your actual language ability :colbert: I can still see why they do them though; face-to-face interviews or anything more comprehensive would be prohibitively expensive.

Could you give me some more info about your process applying for those jobs? I'm going to be doing something similar and would be really interested to hear more about your experiences. You should be able to e-mail me through the link in my SA profile.

Your hiring contact is technically correct (a Secret is no great shakes), but in the long term it is horrible advice and you should seriously take anything they tell you with a huge grain of salt. If you go for a higher clearance later it will probably come out one way or another that you were smoking the reefer in college, and didn't report that on your original SF-86. You can kiss your clearance/job goodbye in that case.

Really want to underscore how lying about something so banal for a Secret (when the hiring agency has told you its no big deal, no less) is awful, terrible advice.

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
Thanks for the advice, I was hesitant to take them at their word - their interests and my interests don't quite overlap.

I've found a few posts of people saying that they got rejected for Interim but granted Secret eventually with such goings-on, and I'll just take that risk. Way better than having this looming over me for years.

Edit: Useful resource I found earlier, which makes me think I'm in the clear anyway. http://www.clearancejobs.com/cleared-news/79/drug-involvement-and-security-clearances

Discusses the adjudication guidelines, and what levels of use were acceptable when for considering clearances.

The Adjudicative Desk Reference is here too, since apparently it's declassified, and I looked at it earlier, but I get a forbidden error now :tinfoil: http://www.dhra.mil/perserec/adr/index.htm

Edit 2: Actual judgements from the DOD, with explanations! http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/2008.html This is the best resource I've found yet for getting a feel for what's okay / not okay.

Junji Eat More fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 22, 2010

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I do, those phone language tests are kinda bogus wrt your actual language ability :colbert: I can still see why they do them though; face-to-face interviews or anything more comprehensive would be prohibitively expensive.

Could you give me some more info about your process applying for those jobs? I'm going to be doing something similar and would be really interested to hear more about your experiences. You should be able to e-mail me through the link in my SA profile.

Don't see an e-mail. Besides don't I have your AIM name, from the DC goon meet thread?

So whats the opinion, is the job I do for the clearance more important, or the clearance?

Also just checked, apparently it is a two year contract. Even if it is for a TS I am debating whether I could stand being a janitor for two years. Or perhaps I should be thinking more in terms of language practice, experience, and the TS rather than what I would be doing for money.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Don't see an e-mail. Besides don't I have your AIM name, from the DC goon meet thread?

So whats the opinion, is the job I do for the clearance more important, or the clearance?

Also just checked, apparently it is a two year contract. Even if it is for a TS I am debating whether I could stand being a janitor for two years. Or perhaps I should be thinking more in terms of language practice, experience, and the TS rather than what I would be doing for money.

Weird, I have it selected as being able to be contacted by email, but I don't see the link when I look at my own profile. I don't use AIM anymore regardless, my email is [redacted].

At this point I'd do unmentionable things for a decent-ish paying janitor job overseas with a TS thrown in, just sayin' :v:

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 22, 2010

fivetwo
Jun 19, 2009

Lying on your SF-86 is a violation of 18 U.S.C. 1001 (false statements).

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Heads up for anyone who likes archives work.

http://archives.gov/careers/jobs/fcip/

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Boondock Saint posted:

Heads up for anyone who likes archives work.

http://archives.gov/careers/jobs/fcip/

Austin!!!!! I'm all over this! Thanks!

edit: Okay, I haven't taken any courses in archiving. But I do have an M.A. and have done lots of research and crap...hopefully that will be enough.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 23, 2010

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

fivetwo posted:

Lying on your SF-86 is a violation of 18 U.S.C. 1001 (false statements).

A felony violation, no less, and without mitigating circumstances, likely to bar you from receiving a clearance subsequently.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I wonder. Might be filling out one of these shortly, but this concerns those dreaded foreign contacts.

Couple things come to mind that might hurt me:
1. Kinda had a romantic interest in this girl, though nothing came of it. Still sort of friends, but nothing more.
2. Been talking to a lot of foreigners through a language exchange program, and if I get that Moscow job, might even meet a few of them.

I checked the SF-86 and really it only tells you to list people you are involved with (with affection, obligation, or influence). Don't think any of these qualify, though I am sure I will end up at least mentioning them through the process.

Anyway, how much of an issue would these be?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I'd put down 1. You should have a chance to explain your contact with them and point out that there's nothing really of it, and you should be fine. Remember, foreign contacts are not that big of a deal if they basically aren't a security risk on you.

2. is probably a non-issue.

You can always raise it when you do your personal interview with the investigator. There's a section where he'll ask you if there's anything else you want to talk about that might be relevant. It couldn't hurt to bring a list of anything you felt like you were borderline on and bring it up. As a bonus, it goes a long way to showing that you have the intent to be truthful and honest about things.

I did so with several small but resolved debts that weren't on my credit report but I thought might be relevant. The investigator asked me for brief information about them, and as I was describing it he was like "Nah. Don't worry about those, those don't matter/don't count". And everything went through just fine on my clearance.

I would much rather be as open and transparent as possible. It goes a long way to mitigating any security concerns.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Anything on my SF-86, I let the investigator know.

I had really strong mitigating evidence so it wasn't an issue.

TCD fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 23, 2010

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Not entirely sure what you mean by that, if you were talking to me TCD.

From what the form says, neither of those cases really seem to fit. Better safe than sorry, I will find someone to talk to regarding any questions I have on the form, if I am approved for investigation. Otherwise I will bring it up with the investigator.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I have a South Korean friend who I roomed with for a year in college, who went back to South Korea to server his time in the S. Korean military and it has literally been no big deal as long as you describe it and how often you talk to them.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

intern, intern, intern.

Being an intern is a near automatic job offer provided you aren't atrocious. Many managers prefer hiring interns that they've worked with over diving into the resume pool and picking out an unknown.

There is one huge fact that puts a lot of government hiring into perspective - even inside the probationary period it is near impossible to fire a government worker. Therefore before resorting to teh resume database, managers will go off of people they know, personal recommendations from good employees, or last summer's intern. Technically personal recommendations shouldn't play a big role - but if someone who works in an office flags 1x resume out of the ether for special attention that will definitely count for a lot.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Hey, so on the subject of interning... Remember the State Department Career Entry Program internships? Just got this in my inbox:

quote:

This is confirmation of receipt of your application to the Career Entry
Program. Please complete the questionnaire as per the instructions
below. If multiple locations for employment are available, please ONLY
select those locations that you indicated in your original application
emails. IF you select locations that you did not specify on your initial
application, you will not be considered for those locations.

This is the second round of the application process. After you complete
this questionnaire, please allow at least 5 weeks for notification of
results. We received approximately 10,000 applications and would
sincerely appreciate your patience.

Within 5 weeks, we will notify you regarding whether you are being
referred to the hiring officials or not.

10,000 applicants. Hopefully one of us gets in!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Problem with interning is you have to be independently wealthy to do it, those of us who come from poor families and have student loans to pay are hosed. The death of the paid internship is one of the worst things ever to happen to the job market.

On an entirely unrelated subject, I got an email saying I've advanced to the next round for a GAO communications job. How many rounds do these usually go through, should I care yet or wait for it to go higher?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Grand Fromage posted:

Problem with interning is you have to be independently wealthy to do it, those of us who come from poor families and have student loans to pay are hosed. The death of the paid internship is one of the worst things ever to happen to the job market.

On an entirely unrelated subject, I got an email saying I've advanced to the next round for a GAO communications job. How many rounds do these usually go through, should I care yet or wait for it to go higher?

It's not so bad for J.D. graduates because some schools will pay for your unpaid internship if it's public interest or a "fellowship" style position.

Adri
Jan 2, 2007
I got taco all over my pants!

suboptimal posted:

Hey, so on the subject of interning... Remember the State Department Career Entry Program internships? Just got this in my inbox:

Good luck to me and you!

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Adri posted:

Good luck to me and you!

And me!

I'm hoping the 10,000 was the initial number of applications and not after its been cut down.

Kase Im Licht fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 25, 2010

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Plato, Heidegger, Aristotle, LOL
Anyone have any experience with the Presidential Management Fellowship? Meeting with my school's coordinator this week and going to get the process started.

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
I haven't had a chance to fully digest this thread or all the wonderful threads I just discovered in Ask/Tell but I figured I would share my situation.

I recently graduated Summa Cum Laude with a BA in Political Science/Public Policy from my Massachusetts State School. I spent my last semester interning at DOS, Political-Military Affairs Bureau as a Staff Assistant, I acquired Secret clearance for this position.

I slacked off hardcore on researching post-grad jobs while I was still in D.C. and had the fresh connections and now I am paying dearly for it. I applied for some jobs in D.C. but received no word back at all. Most of the jobs I see on USAJOBS that I can qualify for and actually have interest in all seem to require a year of federal experience or a graduate school degree. I can easily see myself say...doing Staff Assistant or Policy Analyst in D.C. but most jobs required a year of federal experience, something I can't go off and just get it. While I will probably need to provide more information for my own situation, what should I do to go about getting a government job back in D.C.?? There has got to be a way to circumvent the federal requirements when I am smart and educated enough on the topics to do the job. I figure I will have to move back there eventually in order to actually apply for the jobs but I am hesitant to move back without any source of income.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

US Patent Office here, I'm an examiner. You can add me to the OP if anyone wants to ask about it.

The USPTO isn't hiring new examiners right now due to budget issues, but next fiscal year (starts October) the hiring is supposed to restart at 1,200 examiners for FY2011. I'm not sure though as the plans seem to be in constant flux. They were supposed to hire more this year, but then congress diverted our fee income to something else :sigh:

Still, federal employment rocks hard. Hopefully it will rock even harder for more agencies once the teleworking bills get sorted out and signed into law.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

ChadBroChill17 posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Presidential Management Fellowship? Meeting with my school's coordinator this week and going to get the process started.

I'm going to be doing this also, but I don't have any real experience with it either. Mostly I'm just trying to get any information about how to do well on the actual exam and get selected as a finalist--has your school's coordinator told you anything about that or put you in contact with folks from your school who have taken it and done well/passed?

Also, what kind of graduate school are you in? Law student here, forgot this wasn't the law school thread for a minute.

Greed
Apr 28, 2008

suboptimal posted:

Good luck man, I COMPLETELY forgot about the Career Entry Program even though it has been on my mind since I left my D.C. internship, I probably set myself back sometime by just forgetting about it.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

suboptimal posted:

I applied but never got an email back... I probably messed something up. ugg.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Omits-Bagels posted:

I applied but never got an email back... I probably messed something up. ugg.

:whatup:

:saddowns:

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

1) interns with the federal government get paid a salary and benefits commensurate with their work experience and education levels.

2) PMF is a great program and should be pursued if an option

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Happydayz posted:

1) interns with the federal government get paid a salary and benefits commensurate with their work experience and education levels.

Not all interns get paid actually. I couldn't find the direct post you were answering with this but when I interned with the DoS at a consulate in Japan, I was the only paid intern among the 5 of us they had for the summer. I think it was probably because I was a graduate student and the other interns were all undergrads but I'm not entirely sure. It was a good thing though because I probably wouldn't have been able to do the internship if it had been unpaid.

Also yay I got a response back from all three positions I applied to in the CEP. Foreign Affairs Specialist goooooooo

ndPunkOne
Aug 5, 2002

The VA offers paid internships. VHA has medical centers in most major cities and many smaller towns and may be a good option if you don't want to move.

http://www.vacareers.va.gov/vacareers_you_students_administration_1.cfm

quote:

Certain positions within the VA health care system require specialized knowledge that can only be obtained through a two-year internship in the VA Technical Career Field (TCF) Program. These full-time internships include salary, benefits, training, and travel. Career fields include:

Career fields include:

* Biomedical Engineer
* Blind Rehabilitation
* Boiler Plant Operator
* Chief Business Office
* Compliance and Business Integrity
* Contracting Specialist
* Environmental Engineer
* Environmental Management
* Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Master's Program
* Finance
* General Engineer
* Health Information Management
* Human Resources Management
* Inventory Management
* Office of Health Information
* Office of Information and Technology
* Prosthetic Representative
* Safety/Industrial Hygiene
* Supply Processing and Distribution
* Voluntary Management

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
VA is a great opportunity to work outside of Washington but that being said, the VA is a lovely organization to work for, has terrible leadership, and will depress you at all levels.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

SWATJester posted:

VA is a great opportunity to work outside of Washington but that being said, the VA is a lovely organization to work for, has terrible leadership, and will depress you at all levels.

I keep hearing this. Anyone have any particularly depressing or illustrative VA stories?

Seems like there's 1102 openings and I hear that's a good way to break into higher-level procurement type federal gigs.

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 26, 2010

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

prussian advisor posted:

I keep hearing this. Anyone have any particularly depressing or illustrative VA stories?

Seems like there's 1102 openings and I hear that's a good way to break into higher-level procurement type federal gigs.

I did a lot of administrative and legislative reform work targeted at the VA when I was a director at Iraq War Veterans Organization.

It's despicable how the VA treats veterans. They're basically like an insurance company, except instead of being motivated by making profit, they're motivated by cutting losses. So you have constant blind double-reviews, second signature requirements, runarounds on scheduling, etc. Plus the quality of care is absolute poo poo in some facilities (it's OK in others).

-e- I had a veteran commit suicide on the phone with myself and several other board members who were conferenced in. He was depressed over having been denied care by the VA for his PTSD.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SWATJester posted:

-e- I had a veteran commit suicide on the phone with myself and several other board members who were conferenced in. He was depressed over having been denied care by the VA for his PTSD.

Jesus christ dude. That's horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Got an email for thr passport specialist job. Got back to dc and I'm without power at the house. So much for filling out that questionnaire.