Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
A GED and a dream are the only requirements for CBP officer, and that's journeyman GS-12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Quarex posted:

Also what the hell is acquisition? Besides a euphemism for theft. Somehow I doubt I am qualified for it.

I don't know if he's talking about the same thing, but I work for DCMA, which is technically in what's called defense acquisition - the part of the DoD involved in developing and acquiring new defense technology. It falls under the office of the Undersecretary of Defense for AT&L (Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics).

Anecdotally, we have a fair number of quality assurance personnel who only have a high school diploma or GED and are GS-11s. I'm a computer engineer with them on a career ladder to GS-12 (currently 11) with a bachelor's degree in engineering.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Network42 posted:

A GED and a dream are the only requirements for CBP officer, and that's journeyman GS-12.
I think I am understanding more and more why our union is trying to eliminate the separate GS-11/12 promotion job that literally does the exact same thing that the GS-5/7/9 job does. Not that I imagine such things are uncommon.

Justus posted:

I don't know if he's talking about the same thing, but I work for DCMA, which is technically in what's called defense acquisition - the part of the DoD involved in developing and acquiring new defense technology. It falls under the office of the Undersecretary of Defense for AT&L (Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics).
Well that sounds fascinating at least! What do people need to get into it? Is it one of those things where the military is basically the only way in, like intelligence analysis?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Quarex posted:

Well that sounds fascinating at least! What do people need to get into it? Is it one of those things where the military is basically the only way in, like intelligence analysis?

DCMA itself is a fairly boring cubicle job tbh though it does keep me neck deep in DoD weapons development which can be kinda of neat. I didn't get into the government for life fulfillment after all, but to support my music hobby. In fact, I'm living off of very little, and have solid plans to "retire" in about 8 years, when I'm 43, to become a full time musician, once I've established a sufficient nest egg.

That being stated, the agency itself is in charge of defense program contract management (hence Defense Contract Management Agency). While other agencies working directly for the branches of the military are in charge of ordering the work and drawing up the contract, my agency actually works on-site with the contractor doing the work. My particular office oversees Raytheon Missile Systems in Tucson, AZ. We basically need to be experts on the contract (and contracting law), and observe the day-to-day work to make sure that it is contractually compliant and that the contractor is working to release products that are delivered on time, on cost, and to technical specs. Our top priority is making sure Users (that is - soldiers) get weapons that do what they are supposed to do and are safe (to our guys at least). The secondary priority is making sure that American taxpayers are getting good value for the billions of dollars that we pay defense contractors (our success at this is famously questionable unfortunately).

There are three basic paths to employment with DCMA. The business side of the house hires people with a business education (ie - finance degrees, MBAs, etc.) and they are contracting experts. The quality assurance people, as I mentioned earlier, can often times not even have a college background, and their job is literally observing manufacturing work on the factory floor. I work on the technical side of the house, which hires people with engineering and technology backgrounds. Our job is to be subject matter experts to assist the contracts people (since they don't understand technical terms to our level), as well as sitting in on high level contractor meetings and collecting metrics that we report monthly to the AT&L office. It's a pretty cushy gig. We have a handful of engineering leads who have been promoted to GS-13 in place.

It is WAY easier to get in if you're former military. I'd say about 3/4 or more of our employees are vets. I personally am not, so that proves that you don't HAVE to be. I think you probably need to have something on your resume that really helps you stand out though, if you're not former military. In my case, I believe I stood out because I have business leadership experience, having spent several years as the director of education for a vo tech, and as an engineer, I spent several years in the private sector designing firmware and embedded circuitry for these guys.

There are plenty of other agencies that fall under AT&L, such as the agencies I mentioned earlier that run "program offices" which establish and do remote management of defense contracts (not involved in day-to-day dev like us, but more involved in establishing actual requirements), agencies that actually do development work themselves, such as Navair and Navsea with the Navy, the Defense Logistics Agency, Defence Contract Audit Agency, etc. etc.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

You can't say that and not say where you/they work.

I can show you some 13 electrical/mechanical engineers with no degree

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Quarex posted:

It sounds like computer/science things generally are built to make the rest of the federal service sad, given that I learned our agency's webmaster is hiring an assistant who would start at GS-7 and be promotable up to GS-14. ... :(

I love the idea that somewhere someone decided that an underling webmaster was the equivalent of like "assistant regional director."

Also what the hell is acquisition? Besides a euphemism for theft. Somehow I doubt I am qualified for it.

Acquisition as a data area in our federal sphere is just a portion of contract management with respect to actually ensuring the contract deliverables.

My experience with the people who work in that field is that your posting here qualifies you fine. Some people are crazy good at it, but generally people's biggest exposure to it is like checking your bank account or your amazon order status in difficulty. It's deepness comes from managing regulations and timeline rules (because there's a dozen ways to do everything and everyone is trying to game you and your rules to leave you holding the bag).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Deeters posted:

I can show you some 13 electrical/mechanical engineers with no degree

I...I'm going to have trouble getting any job at all with my JD PhD, aren't I?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Discendo Vox posted:

I...I'm going to have trouble getting any job at all with my JD PhD, aren't I?

How many tours did you serve and how injured are you from them?

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

How many tours did you serve and how injured are you from them?

This is exactly it, especially on the DoD side a great deal of preference is given to former military and especially wounded warriors. There are many jobs that require a degree if you go through the normal selection process but there is an alternate process that allows vets to get in without a degree. Nor do they ever have to get the degree that would be required of a non-vet. However, not having a degree/advanced degree will usually limit their promotion potential, though it may not matter if they are in to sit out a few years until requalifying at a higher disability percentage or retirement which many tend to do. Note as well that the Federal work force is pretty old overall, and you have plenty of people in positions that require a degree if hired today that didn't back in 1915 when they signed up to show that rotten Kaiser what's what. That is often how we have degree-less engineers grandfathered in, and from my experience they are often engineers in title but more of what would be an engineering assistant in the commercial world. I am not speaking out against wounded warriors please note! Though I do think perhaps in some positions in the acquisition world it might behoove the gov to encourage people to obtain their degrees or at least certain specialized training on the job.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Me before I went into this thread: "Oh boy, I'm a federal contractor with six years experience in the DC area, but I'm not a veteran! I should have a leg up on a number of government jobs! Maybe I should check out the SA thread to see any tips!

Me now: :negative:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

SgtScruffy posted:

Me before I went into this thread: "Oh boy, I'm a federal contractor with six years experience in the DC area, but I'm not a veteran! I should have a leg up on a number of government jobs! Maybe I should check out the SA thread to see any tips!

Me now: :negative:

The only potential upside is that federal offices got rid of everyone young after the recession, but it remains to be seen how that's addressed (it's going to be replacing overly conservative and scared incompetents with completely unqualified people).

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
The defense acquisition corps includes about 135,000 DOD office workers across the Army, Navy, Air Force, and DOD agencies. It consists mostly of engineers, program managers, logisticians, and contracting officers. The three main routes that I have seen to get in are prior military, engineering or science bachelors, or several decades as a WG mechanic. Most people do start as target 7/9/11s or 7/9/11/12s. Pretty much every one with just a GED went the WG mechanic route so if you're looking for a 12 or 13 it'd probably be faster to enlist or get an industrial engineering degree. When I first started reading this thread, it was pretty weird to see people with doctorates looking below GS-13. That seems really rare in the DOD.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah yeah O.K. we get it :mad: :smith: hah. I thought I had won the lottery when I got a GS-9 job offer! Good thing by the time I realized we kind of get hosed gradewise (job itself is good, though) I at least had the time in grade to shoot for 11. I mean I literally have no idea how I would ever spend the kind of money people make at GS-13+, given that I have lived on student loans+assistantships for like a decade. Could be related to the fact that I only buy food and Steam games though.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Quarex posted:

Yeah yeah O.K. we get it :mad: :smith: hah. I thought I had won the lottery when I got a GS-9 job offer! Good thing by the time I realized we kind of get hosed gradewise (job itself is good, though) I at least had the time in grade to shoot for 11. I mean I literally have no idea how I would ever spend the kind of money people make at GS-13+, given that I have lived on student loans+assistantships for like a decade. Could be related to the fact that I only buy food and Steam games though.

I was used to living like a broke artist and still spend less than $20k/yr (including food and Steam games). Don't allow lifestyle inflation to creep in, put $18k/yr into tsp and 5500/yr in an IRA, and invest the remainder vigorously in a brokerage and you'll basically be mimicking my own plan for early retirement.

Uh, I mean give it all to me.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah as soon as my wife's job actually starts we are bumping me up to the full yearly TSP contribution and maxing both our IRAs. Hard to say how much more we will save though, as we do admittedly also have a taste for random vacations to Iceland.

Also I am signing it all over to you, enjoy

This is the "what do we do with our money" thread, right?

I applied for a GS-11 job the other day on a lark, and realized I forgot to attach my SF-50 to prove my time-in-grade; does that actually mean they ignore my application? Fortunately I really do not care, so it will be a good learning experience if so!

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

Leviathan Song posted:

The defense acquisition corps includes about 135,000 DOD office workers across the Army, Navy, Air Force, and DOD agencies. It consists mostly of engineers, program managers, logisticians, and contracting officers. The three main routes that I have seen to get in are prior military, engineering or science bachelors, or several decades as a WG mechanic.

There was a big push for business degrees for a while in the DoD acquisition community. Some jobs still require 24 credits of business classes for the required DAU levels as well, I think. I have both business and engineering. Most people start with engineering and later get business, I started with business and later got engineering. But anyway if it makes people with advanced degrees feel better, as you move up (in the DoD at least) having advanced degrees is pretty much a prerequisite to the higher grade slots. Whatever you started at (GS-7 in my case) was the price you paid to get into the Federal Government. Now that you are in, look around, there are plenty of opportunities for advancement. Though if your PhD is in Classical Russian Art History, realize that the positions that will appreciate that degree are limited. But the Federal gov is probably one place you can be sure they actually do exist, so I do not mean that to be disparaging.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

I applied for a GS-11 job the other day on a lark, and realized I forgot to attach my SF-50 to prove my time-in-grade; does that actually mean they ignore my application? Fortunately I really do not care, so it will be a good learning experience if so!

My agency it would immediately disqualify you unfortunately. I believe they could reach out and ask you to provide the documents later, but I suspect many hiring managers/HR people aren't going to bother.

Bad Mr Frosty
Apr 25, 2012
I have an interview for an internship at the Dept of Labor. I'm an Econ major, with office experience. What should I be expecting? What should I say?
Over the phone they said they are interested in my computer skills. Should I brush up on excel before the interview?

I am super excited.

Bad Mr Frosty fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 2, 2015

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does discussion of CIA job opportunities apply to this megathread? I'm a PolySci Junior with High functioning Autism in college who is considering applying for an analyst position in about 2-3 years. I consider myself extremely good at analytical research and history, I have volunteered for campaigns in the past (and will continue to do so), am eccentric/moody at times, I do not drive, drink, smoke, dope and never have, and I stopped getting :filez: for books and games at least 18 months ago. What are my chances in 2 years time?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
To what extent can foreign travel complicate getting clearance?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Depends on the length, frequency, and nature of the travel. A clearance can be denied entirely on the basis of it, if is a significant enough risk. Or it can be entirely ignored. You can browse through DOHA clearance decisions to get a feel for it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Grouchio posted:

Does discussion of CIA job opportunities apply to this megathread? I'm a PolySci Junior with High functioning Autism in college who is considering applying for an analyst position in about 2-3 years. I consider myself extremely good at analytical research and history, I have volunteered for campaigns in the past (and will continue to do so), am eccentric/moody at times, I do not drive, drink, smoke, dope and never have, and I stopped getting :filez: for books and games at least 18 months ago. What are my chances in 2 years time?
Citizen, are you discussing applying for a CIA job against the policy that you must not discuss applying to a CIA job with anyone?

Because it would be a shame if you were violating these policies.

But I imagine their standards if anything are going to be higher than "generic federal job," and getting hired for anything right out of college seems unlikely unless you are an engineery-computro-sciency-something-or-other. At least, from what I have seen. I applied for a few dozen random positions when I finished my master's in criminal justice (after working on campaigns and for local government for a few years) and the closest thing to an offer I got was the DIA putting me on a "maybe we will call you in the next year" list.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Quarex posted:

Citizen, are you discussing applying for a CIA job against the policy that you must not discuss applying to a CIA job with anyone?

Because it would be a shame if you were violating these policies.

But I imagine their standards if anything are going to be higher than "generic federal job," and getting hired for anything right out of college seems unlikely unless you are an engineery-computro-sciency-something-or-other. At least, from what I have seen. I applied for a few dozen random positions when I finished my master's in criminal justice (after working on campaigns and for local government for a few years) and the closest thing to an offer I got was the DIA putting me on a "maybe we will call you in the next year" list.
I do apologize, I did not know there was such policy against that.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Need some help.

I work in the medical field as a GS9 (kind of narrows it down to what government agency I work for). I was set to be bumped to GS11 after receiving my full national licensure per my supervisor and higher ups. Well, I now have my full unrestricted license and no one is being of any help.

Supposedly I need to contact "HR" to start some poo poo called the "Boarding Process" which I have no loving clue what that entails or what I need to do to prepare for it. I've contacted HR multiple times asking about this, but they refuse to respond to any of my emails. I plan to track one of them down and meet with them in person sometime this week to figure out what the hell is going on.

Anyone know what exactly the "Boarding Process" is? Apparently I write a bunch of essays detailing the specifics of my job, some committee somewhere looks at it, and then bounces me back a salary number that I either accept or decline. Other than that I have no clue.

Sort of sick of working in a medical job where I am making wages at the 4th-5th percentile of all individuals in my profession....

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
You know, with the slowly expanding debacle of the OPM hack, it makes me wonder if the U.S. is as successful at similar hacks on other countries. We probably are? But I dont hear too much about it even from other foreign news agencies. Maybe the English speaking ones don't discuss it as much?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Artificer posted:

You know, with the slowly expanding debacle of the OPM hack, it makes me wonder if the U.S. is as successful at similar hacks on other countries. We probably are? But I dont hear too much about it even from other foreign news agencies. Maybe the English speaking ones don't discuss it as much?

Few other countries have the same kind of stable centralized information structures to hack, at least on the scale of those in the US.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Discendo Vox posted:

Few other countries have the same kind of stable centralized information structures to hack, at least on the scale of those in the US.

Sucks...to be us, I guess? :(

He Might Be Kilv
Dec 12, 2012
Hey everyone, long time lurker first time posting because Best Friendo convinced me I have nothing to lose (please be gentle) - I'm gonna try to keep this as far from e/n as I can but I, too, would love some advice. Also let me know if I should take this plea elsewhere, can apply to like three different threads probably.

So I just turned 23 and I'm looking for a job here in Northern VA. Previously I worked for ~2 years as a contractor at a nearby government facility, just a lowly unarmed security guard; t'was I who would shepherd the custodians around the building. Didn't get much out of it apart from a loathing and distrust of my fellow man (everyone hated Security and SECURITY hated Security) and - lucky me - a secret clearance! Now, a year and change later, I'm finally looking at getting back into the working world.

My growing list of problems and worries? My resume consists of a high school diploma, unarmed security license, secret clearance, and about 2 years working access control and watching people clean restrooms. After reading the OP and checking on this thread every few months, I'm well aware there are things I could apply for, I just don't know what. I assure you my passion isn't in security (unarmed or otherwise), and I have a natural way with computers - more specifically programming languages and things of that nature. While I worked there, I met this badass transsexual retired Marine who was head of one of the Top Secret computer security areas or something, and every now and then I'd catch up with her and chat about what she did, clearance level permitting of course, and how I could maybe do it too. This was, god, years ago now but I feel like I remember her essentially saying [para] "Look, go get CompTIA A+ and Security+ certified and you can get pretty much any security job here. It's easy." Thing is... I don't know if that's really the case?

As of right now I'm studying to take the A+ exam because, well, couldn't hurt right? But I could always shoot for another security job. Or... anything else entry level with a secret clearance? I know like next to nothing about jobs in general so, I don't know how much of a foot in the door it really is. I could also go back to school and get an associates, I had something like a year plus' worth of experience? Took me some 15 odd years but I'm finally getting my ADHD treated again and while it isn't working wonders I can tell my ability to function on a daily basis is improving. Case & point, look! I'm actually trying to solve this whole no-job thing, albeit in a bit of a roundabout fashion.

Sorry this is such a confused, unplanned mess of text - it's 1am and this is all a rough topic for me. TL;DR I'm wondering, what are some entry level secret clearance jobs I could look into? Would A+ and / or Security+ (or a Java cert maybe?) be good compliments I should shoot for regarding computer security or programming or somesuch, or am I better off asking that the IT thread? Also, I left my job around October two years ago - I heard Secret clearances go inactive after two years, but my father swears it's seven now, is he full of poo poo and should I be worried about that too? Oh and while I'm at it, how easily can a Secret be upgraded to a TS/SCI or is that not a thing. Lastly, the requirements to apply as a federal employee rather than a citizen kinda confuse me: as a prior civilian contractor am I relegated to civvie jobs or are federal positions an option?

I'm near Fort Belvoir for what it's worth, and it seemed there were a few "We'll pay you $12/hr to copy documents in a scanner" positions if it comes down to it. Money isn't the issue for me right now, but rather finding something I'm good at and / or enjoy doing. With or without a degree it just seems like suffering. Thanks for reading, and really any advice would be greatly appreciated :unsmith:

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Bad Mr Frosty posted:

I have an interview for an internship at the Dept of Labor. I'm an Econ major, with office experience. What should I be expecting? What should I say?
Over the phone they said they are interested in my computer skills. Should I brush up on excel before the interview?

I am super excited.

Which agency at Labor?

It's been a week since your post, so alternatively, how'd the interview go?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

He Might Be Kilv posted:

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time posting because Best Friendo convinced me I have nothing to lose (please be gentle) - I'm gonna try to keep this as far from e/n as I can but I, too, would love some advice. Also let me know if I should take this plea elsewhere, can apply to like three different threads probably.

So I just turned 23 and I'm looking for a job here in Northern VA. Previously I worked for ~2 years as a contractor at a nearby government facility, just a lowly unarmed security guard; t'was I who would shepherd the custodians around the building. Didn't get much out of it apart from a loathing and distrust of my fellow man (everyone hated Security and SECURITY hated Security) and - lucky me - a secret clearance! Now, a year and change later, I'm finally looking at getting back into the working world.

My growing list of problems and worries? My resume consists of a high school diploma, unarmed security license, secret clearance, and about 2 years working access control and watching people clean restrooms. After reading the OP and checking on this thread every few months, I'm well aware there are things I could apply for, I just don't know what. I assure you my passion isn't in security (unarmed or otherwise), and I have a natural way with computers - more specifically programming languages and things of that nature. While I worked there, I met this badass transsexual retired Marine who was head of one of the Top Secret computer security areas or something, and every now and then I'd catch up with her and chat about what she did, clearance level permitting of course, and how I could maybe do it too. This was, god, years ago now but I feel like I remember her essentially saying [para] "Look, go get CompTIA A+ and Security+ certified and you can get pretty much any security job here. It's easy." Thing is... I don't know if that's really the case?

As of right now I'm studying to take the A+ exam because, well, couldn't hurt right? But I could always shoot for another security job. Or... anything else entry level with a secret clearance? I know like next to nothing about jobs in general so, I don't know how much of a foot in the door it really is. I could also go back to school and get an associates, I had something like a year plus' worth of experience? Took me some 15 odd years but I'm finally getting my ADHD treated again and while it isn't working wonders I can tell my ability to function on a daily basis is improving. Case & point, look! I'm actually trying to solve this whole no-job thing, albeit in a bit of a roundabout fashion.

Sorry this is such a confused, unplanned mess of text - it's 1am and this is all a rough topic for me. TL;DR I'm wondering, what are some entry level secret clearance jobs I could look into? Would A+ and / or Security+ (or a Java cert maybe?) be good compliments I should shoot for regarding computer security or programming or somesuch, or am I better off asking that the IT thread? Also, I left my job around October two years ago - I heard Secret clearances go inactive after two years, but my father swears it's seven now, is he full of poo poo and should I be worried about that too? Oh and while I'm at it, how easily can a Secret be upgraded to a TS/SCI or is that not a thing. Lastly, the requirements to apply as a federal employee rather than a citizen kinda confuse me: as a prior civilian contractor am I relegated to civvie jobs or are federal positions an option?

I'm near Fort Belvoir for what it's worth, and it seemed there were a few "We'll pay you $12/hr to copy documents in a scanner" positions if it comes down to it. Money isn't the issue for me right now, but rather finding something I'm good at and / or enjoy doing. With or without a degree it just seems like suffering. Thanks for reading, and really any advice would be greatly appreciated :unsmith:

Since security is where your experience is you could certainly apply to low level security position within the government but you are really unlikely to find one that doesn't go to a veterans. Also you won't get any special status for having a previous contractor position. The best thing to do here is to list the equivalent job series in your resume for that security work, apply to every position available on USAjobs, and view it a free lottery tickets.
If you want to go the contractor route, I've heard good things about clearancejobs.com I think that's the only way that you could capitalize on your preexisting clearance. Also you can not get an "upgraded" clearance unless you have a job that requires it.
Someone in the DC area would probably be better equipped to answer questions on good entry level jobs to look for in the area. Based on how you're described your experience I'd start with GS-01 or WG-01 pay grades.

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 10, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Artificer posted:

Yes, yes other countries hack each other all the time. Generally it gets blamed on China however.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

He Might Be Kilv posted:

"Look, go get CompTIA A+ and Security+ certified and you can get pretty much any security job here. It's easy." Thing is... I don't know if that's really the case?

Security+ is one of the minimum requirements put out for most if not all IT related positions, both civilian and military, by DoD. It is not uncommon for other agencies to use that standard. For more info about IT certs you want to check out the Megathread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521165).

He Might Be Kilv posted:

anything else entry level with a secret clearance?

For government jobs the current clearance you hold doesn't really matter too much. Many agencies will redo your entire investigation. You could be fresh off the street and get a TS/SCI because the position you got an offer for required it. That said, unless you have some sort of vets preference vets will usually beat you out, regardless of clearance, because there is a hiring priority for them.

In contracting jobs, having an active clearance matters because they don't want to spend money sponsoring you for one. Often they want you active at the level required to walk into that job. There can be some accommodations made for instance to bring you from TS to TS/SCI or TS/SCI to add on a poly (These are ONLY done if you require that specific access). This generally happens if they REALLY want/need you. You can't just walk in and say "So I have a Secret. You can bump me to TS/SCI for this position, right?" They can but they likely won't because the contracting market is pretty flooded with people already carrying that clearance.

He Might Be Kilv posted:

I heard Secret clearances go inactive after two years, but my father swears it's seven now, is he full of poo poo and should I be worried about that too? Oh and while I'm at it, how easily can a Secret be upgraded to a TS/SCI or is that not a thing.

Depending on the clearance level re-investigations occur on different timelines but from what I have heard 2 years seems to be the limit on going active to inactive. Inactive clearances can be reactivated. Again, contractors are usually going to want an active one because it's extra time and paperwork to reactivate. I think your father is talking about the re-investigation period, which is different from becoming inactive. Depending on your clearance level a periodic re-investigation is required every so many years. The higher level your clearance, the more frequent it is, usually mandated at a minimum of every 5 years.

He Might Be Kilv posted:

Lastly, the requirements to apply as a federal employee rather than a citizen kinda confuse me: as a prior civilian contractor am I relegated to civvie jobs or are federal positions an option?

For federal positions you will see a section on every opening titled "WHO MAY APPLY." Anything that says U.S. Citizens means basically everyone eligible for federal jobs may apply. Some jobs will have a military or national guard membership requirement. Some will list current or former federal employees as the only people that may apply. Others will list specific hiring authorities like VRA, which is a type of direct hire for veterans, or certain hiring schedules that designate a specific funding source for a specific type of candidate. As long a U.S. citizens is in the WHO MAY APPLY block and no other restrictions on hiring are listed in the announcement you can apply. "Civvie" positions are generally a non-military person working for a military agency. For example, there are many DoD civilian employees that do jobs supporting DoD but they are not current active duty/reserve/national guard members.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

Slig posted:

Security+ is one of the minimum requirements put out for most if not all IT related positions, both civilian and military, by DoD. It is not uncommon for other agencies to use that standard. For more info about IT certs you want to check out the Megathread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521165).

Yup. Everyone knows about clearance levels, but most forget IT levels. Sec+, plus an OS cert, plus and SSBI for most DoD IT work. Theoretically at least.

As to what else could help you get into government, go back to school. A two year degree in anything makes you eligible for the FCIP. Er, whatever it is called now. Recent Graduates Program. This is an excepted hiring authority and the path for many, many people into government. Many agencies use it. And it is often exempt from various hiring freezes and whatnot. But you have to have graduated from at least a 2 year program and be within 2 years of graduation to be eligible. https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-authorities/students-recent-graduates/#graduates

Combine both things above if you are set on a computer government job. Get the 2 year degree, get the sec+ at least, and then push your IT skills on your resume and your interview. If you get in chances are they will shunt you into an IT track, and if not you can network and achieve the same thing. My advice is DoD centric but I am guessing it would work for other things too. Oh, and IT skills may put you ahead of vets even, if it is an IT specific position.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

e_wraith posted:

Yup. Everyone knows about clearance levels, but most forget IT levels. Sec+, plus an OS cert, plus and SSBI for most DoD IT work. Theoretically at least.

As to what else could help you get into government, go back to school. A two year degree in anything makes you eligible for the FCIP. Er, whatever it is called now. Recent Graduates Program. This is an excepted hiring authority and the path for many, many people into government. Many agencies use it. And it is often exempt from various hiring freezes and whatnot. But you have to have graduated from at least a 2 year program and be within 2 years of graduation to be eligible. https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-authorities/students-recent-graduates/#graduates

Combine both things above if you are set on a computer government job. Get the 2 year degree, get the sec+ at least, and then push your IT skills on your resume and your interview. If you get in chances are they will shunt you into an IT track, and if not you can network and achieve the same thing. My advice is DoD centric but I am guessing it would work for other things too. Oh, and IT skills may put you ahead of vets even, if it is an IT specific position.

It's called the Pathways program. I was brought in as a Pathways Recent Graduate as a GS 5, promotion potential 11. There's a lot of Pathways stuff though, there are Pathways Student Intern postions, Pathways Intern (I think) and Pathways Recent Graduate, all of which have different requirements. It's pretty complicated honestly. One of my coworkers in a different branch suggested I apply for one of the positions they were opening there, but I wasn't eligible due to having graduated where the postings were for interns.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Just read that OPM is taking the e-QIP system(electronic system for Clearance questionnaires) down for 4 to 6 weeks.

They will have the manual paper process available but only for Mission Critical Initial Secret clearances...hope no one here is left in the lurch!!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just applied to my first Fed position. Yikes! I had the application materials all set, was just waiting for the posting to come out (Graduate Advisor knows someone that works at the agency).

Still took a long time to get it sorted out and applied to, particularly because I was doing it in my phone.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
So a while ago (the vacancy closed June 2, I applied a few days before that) I applied to a position with an agency in NYC. (Not saying which agency, for fear I'll somehow do something wrong.)

I got referred! It's for an 0303 sort of position, GS-5, but hey I'll take what I can get. 40 hours a week sounds plenty good to me! (My first referral, if you can't tell. After dozens of attempts.)

Now, I got referred because of my Schedule A letter, I sense. It said my referral type was "Non-traditional" anyway.

So: What happens next, should I expect to hear anything in under 6 months...? Basically, I'm clueless about federal hiring as it works these days, I'm wondering what my next steps should be. (Note that I'm not a vet. I know that means my chances of actually getting a job are slim, but hey.)

My timeline is that, because my current part time job doesn't want a suit or anything more than casual clothes, I'm not buying a suit for an interview until I hear that someone actually wants to interview me, on the hope that I'll have a week or so between when I hear they want to interview me and when the interview happens. Is that a good idea or a bad idea?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Spacewolf posted:

So a while ago (the vacancy closed June 2, I applied a few days before that) I applied to a position with an agency in NYC. (Not saying which agency, for fear I'll somehow do something wrong.)

I got referred! It's for an 0303 sort of position, GS-5, but hey I'll take what I can get. 40 hours a week sounds plenty good to me! (My first referral, if you can't tell. After dozens of attempts.)

Now, I got referred because of my Schedule A letter, I sense. It said my referral type was "Non-traditional" anyway.

So: What happens next, should I expect to hear anything in under 6 months...? Basically, I'm clueless about federal hiring as it works these days, I'm wondering what my next steps should be. (Note that I'm not a vet. I know that means my chances of actually getting a job are slim, but hey.)

My timeline is that, because my current part time job doesn't want a suit or anything more than casual clothes, I'm not buying a suit for an interview until I hear that someone actually wants to interview me, on the hope that I'll have a week or so between when I hear they want to interview me and when the interview happens. Is that a good idea or a bad idea?

Don't. Your interview will almost certainly be over the phone anyways. If/when you get hired you can ask the person setting you up what the office wear is. The admin person that told me when/where to show up and who to talk to was very helpful, I'm sure I could have asked what the appropriate wear was and gotten a straight answer.

In other good news, my wife got referred for a position at a different agency than mine but in the same town. If she got it we'd both be 5's but under different cabinet secretaries in the same town. :black101:

sixstringsamurai
May 20, 2005
Float away, little butterfly. Just flutter away. I got a gig in Vegas. And the wastelands ain't no place for kids.
I've got an (in person) interview for an 0856 position with the DOE, I'm a current 2604 DAC (WG <- them lacking locality pay) how likely am I to receive a hard offer (DA just phoned it in because I was in "The Stan!" as a contractor, or cause they cheap) and how are they to work for? This will be the second official interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bovine
Aug 7, 2007
Proud graduate of Bovine University
About three weeks ago I received a phone call saying I was being put forward as the candidate for a government job. I'll have to pass a background check before receiving a formal offer from HQ and the manager indicated that there would be a six week delay on all checks because of the recent cyber attacks.

I'm getting antsy after three weeks of silence -- should I phone to see whether the manager has updates? (Delays are out of her control, but perhaps she has information.) Has anyone else had issues with background check delays or heard anything? I need a few weeks notice because I'll be moving back to the States if this works out.