Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Doctor Bovine posted:

About three weeks ago I received a phone call saying I was being put forward as the candidate for a government job. I'll have to pass a background check before receiving a formal offer from HQ and the manager indicated that there would be a six week delay on all checks because of the recent cyber attacks.

I'm getting antsy after three weeks of silence -- should I phone to see whether the manager has updates? (Delays are out of her control, but perhaps she has information.) Has anyone else had issues with background check delays or heard anything? I need a few weeks notice because I'll be moving back to the States if this works out.

OPM brought e-QIP back online last week; probably your manager doesn't know much more than is in this blog post. It was four weeks of downtime when they were planning on four to six, but I imagine it'll still be backlogged for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Doctor Bovine posted:

I'm getting antsy after three weeks of silence -- should I phone to see whether the manager has updates? (Delays are out of her control, but perhaps she has information.) Has anyone else had issues with background check delays or heard anything? I need a few weeks notice because I'll be moving back to the States if this works out.

A friend of mine has been waiting on his secret clearance to start a PMF job for at least 6 weeks now. They keep saying "another two weeks" and push it back every time.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I didn't see anything on the front page and :effort: for looking at 90+ pages in the thread.

I applied to an agency with my Peace Corps non-competitive eligibility and eventually after the interviews got a phone call from them saying they were going to send me a job offer once my application was double-checked by HR. It eventually was, and they said that they were going to put up the job on USAJOBS for 3 days for me to apply to in the normal fashion.

A couple questions:

-Is this a normal thing for NCE positions? I'm assuming so because I'm sure OPM wants their data collection.

-Does it normally take several months from first interview to starting the position? Its been nearly two months from then to now. I'm getting antsy, and broke. :ohdear:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

CronoGamer posted:

A friend of mine has been waiting on his secret clearance to start a PMF job for at least 6 weeks now. They keep saying "another two weeks" and push it back every time.

Sounds like either a) the GPO breach is so extensive they're still finding things to fix or b) they're stalling to get an arrest warrant lined up.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I was contacted by OPM to schedule a background interview about two weeks ago (looks as though I was a reference for a buddy applying to a high-level clearance position). Haven't heard back from the follow-up investigator/agent since then.

I imagine everything is backlogged and slow at the moment.

Keep waiting!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Referred to selecting official :henget:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got my first rejection.

Qualified, but not enough!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Massasoit posted:

Got my first rejection.

Qualified, but not enough!

Don't let it get to you, I'm up to at least 30 rejections. Only had 2 interviews out of those: one for my current position, and one for FBI special agent which I subsequently did not get selected for.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm not worried about it. I actually wasn't really that qualified for it. I have a stable job, but working of the agency I'm applying for would be under 'life dream' category.

I've been waiting for a position to be posted that I should be highly competitive for. I've known about the posting for months but it hasn't come out yet.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Massasoit posted:

I've been waiting for a position to be posted that I should be highly competitive for. I've known about the posting for years but it hasn't come out yet.

Fixed :smith:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Slaan posted:

I didn't see anything on the front page and :effort: for looking at 90+ pages in the thread.

I applied to an agency with my Peace Corps non-competitive eligibility and eventually after the interviews got a phone call from them saying they were going to send me a job offer once my application was double-checked by HR. It eventually was, and they said that they were going to put up the job on USAJOBS for 3 days for me to apply to in the normal fashion.

A couple questions:

-Is this a normal thing for NCE positions? I'm assuming so because I'm sure OPM wants their data collection.

-Does it normally take several months from first interview to starting the position? Its been nearly two months from then to now. I'm getting antsy, and broke. :ohdear:

Peace corps NCE in da house.

I've been hired by two agencies with my NCE. Applied twice, and in each case had an offer in under a month. Probably not typical, but I didn't have to deal with any USA jobs bs. I just applied directly with the hiring official.

Both positions were listed on the job board on the PC website and specifically requested NCE. Not sure how well things work if you go straight to USA Jobs.

Since it sounds like you have a contact at the agency, don't be afraid to ask for an update.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, I went through the PC website as well and they specifically listed PC NCE status for it. They said it was a major reason I am getting the job. I have no idea why they need me to fake apply to a USAJOBs bit for it, but they said its the last step. I guess the agency isn't do official NCE hires, but are allowed to wink-wink nudge-nudge it?

I asked for an update this morning. Still nothing. :smithicide:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Cheer up my rejected brethren, I had what, 250+ rejections before getting this job? :c00l: (not counting the non-government job applications)

And now I am staring at a GS-11 supervisory job and wondering why in the world I would want to go for that rather than waiting for the GS-11/12 job that has the same description as my current job. I guess it would be helpful to have supervisory experience at this level if you wanted to be a More Important Supervisor later?

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
Is it typical for an in-person interview to be "mandatory"? I seem to have a decent chance at a GS-9 position but they want me to come interview in person and pay my own travel expenses. It's pretty far away, so anything but flying is not going to be practical.

Either way I figure it's worth essentially wagering that travel cost on the chance that I can get hired, so I"m going for it. I was just curious what other's experiences were.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I've been on all kinds. No interview, they paid to fly, I paid and phone. There are no set rules; it depends on the agency's needs and budget.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Thanks in part to some encouragement earlier in this thread, I've been offered a position with a federal agency. It comes with a competitive salary, good benefits and a recruitment bonus. So, thanks thread!

My next questions are: What, if anything, is negotiable about an offer? Can I make a case for a higher recruitment bonus, for example, or is that dictated by procedure/law? Second, do firms typically pay year-end bonuses? A not inconsiderable portion of my current job's compensation is in the form of an annual bonus, and I was wondering if I should consider a bonus in the equation.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Did they ask what you made at your last job? You can, and should, include annual bonuses in the amount you tell them.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Did they ask what you made at your last job? You can, and should, include annual bonuses in the amount you tell them.

They did ask, and I did provide, though this year's bonus was not listed with my salary; their offer is somewhere between my current salary without bonus and current salary with bonus, so they may have seen it?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

There's no harm in calling them and countering with what your total pay was. Be ready to show proof, and also be ready for them to tell you no.

I've seen it go both ways.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Should I be shoveling cover letters out to USAJobs applications?

Does a dual citizenship with Britain affect my ability to get clearance if needed?

Should I be claiming disability for an anxiety disorder?

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Goodpancakes posted:

Does a dual citizenship with Britain affect my ability to get clearance if needed?

Not if you are considering jobs that require a high clearance...

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Goodpancakes posted:

I doubt anyone much cares about these. I think they're a remnant of the "ask for a job with a firm handshake" days.

Goodpancakes posted:

Yes.

Goodpancakes posted:

I looked into this when I was applying. I said/say yes if they ask "Do you have a disability", but you're only eligible for non-competitive eligibility if you're disabled with respect to Section 9 of the social security regs, which I read and you basically have to be so disabled that you're collecting ssi/ssd. I think. Anyone is free to correct me, but apparently unless you've had a doctor certify(and had the gov agree) that you're unfit/unable to work, you don't get special treatment. I do have the disabled box checked in my demographic info, but I'm pretty sure the hiring official never sees that, not sure about HR.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 12, 2015

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Unponderable posted:

Second, do firms typically pay year-end bonuses?

You can get a bonus with your performance eval, but it's capped at 0.97%. You're better off hoping for the quality step increase (QSI) which basically counts as an extra year of service for your salary.

Basically you just make your salary. You can argue for steps, but that isn't to helpful if your going to get grade soon. E.g if you're on a grade 7-9-12 track I think a 7 step 10 makes less than a 12 step 1 so your "raise" functionally disappears in a year.

No idea how it works for those crazy pay-band folks.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Uncle Enzo posted:

I doubt anyone much cares about these. I think they're a remnant of the "ask for a job with a firm handshake" days.
It does seem that way, but you definitely still hear that some people LIKE cover letters, even if they are almost never going to be required. The DHS job-search training meeting thing I listened in on earlier this year suggested that a cover letter specifically highlighting things the generic application/your résumé would not let you highlight (like some specific knowledge/ability/experience that does not warrant its own section but is relevant to the job, maybe?) is not going to hurt unless the job specifically says not to send a cover letter (which does happen).

I certainly did not ever send one for any USAJobs applications, but then I also only ever had one near-miss in all the applications before I got this job (without an interview), so...

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hackan Slash posted:

Basically you just make your salary.

AFAIK this is going to be true for all folks until you get pretty high up in the executive management structure to where 'retention bonus' comes into play and you can really get some nice (for the government anyway) 5-digit that doesn't start with 1 bonus paychecks. Until then a GS employee bonus will be minimal and you might as well use a QSI to increase your base, although LOL at ever getting a rating high enough to qualify for that, depending on your agency/business unit/manager etc.

What really matters is grade and time in grade.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Goodpancakes posted:

You get so damned many different answers to this question depending who you ask. It also depends what kind of clearance we mean, secret, TS/SCI, what. The UK is in Five Eyes so you definitely have that on your side. If your work doesn't have to do with the UK and if you've never served in their military or government or exercised most rights of citizenship there, you should be fine. Certainly as far as Secret goes.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

Basically you just make your salary. You can argue for steps, but that isn't to helpful if your going to get grade soon. E.g if you're on a grade 7-9-12 track I think a 7 step 10 makes less than a 12 step 1 so your "raise" functionally disappears in a year.

To stress how true this is, here's how the promotions and pay would go in the above example, following the 2 step promotion rule:

GS 7 step 10: 51,437
GS 9 step 5: 54,855
GS 11 step 1: 58,562
GS 12 step 1: 70,192

Basically, even if you can max out your first year salary, that advantage is gone in 2 years. It's still more money, but don't sweat it if the agency says no to the step increase when you hire on.

I was actually a GS 5 step 00 for a year. I transferred from a GS 9 position to a GS 5, but with better pay potential (auto ladder to 12, can go up to 15). I made more as a 9 than the GS 5 max, so I was put on pay retention (step 00).

In fact, it's been exactly 2 years. I got my 9 back today, but thanks to special salary table 999b, I'm making more this time than I would have in my old position.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Goodpancakes posted:

Citizenship itself will not be a problem but I hope you aren't voting over there, using a British passport, owning property, etc.

Ex had a TS with dual citizenship and they didn't care outside of stuff like the above.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
State has a good read on clearance issues regarding dual citizenship: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/dualcitizenship.pdf

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

I have dual citizenship with Britain from birth (American mother, UK-born resident alien father), and had no problems passing a Secret-level check. I have never acted on the citizenship, though (tried to vote, get a passport, etc.).

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 16, 2015

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
So what do offer letters normally look like for federal government positions? I was 99% sure I bombed the interview for this position I applied to, but I just heard back today from them with what looks a lot like a job offer. Essentially reiterating the salary and asking if Im still interested and willing to relocate.

E: Im basically just wondering if this is a job offer or more of a "were still considering candidates and are checking with everyone to see who we can disregard entirely."

Lilli fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 17, 2015

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Lilli posted:

So what do offer letters normally look like for federal government positions? I was 99% sure I bombed the interview for this position I applied to, but I just heard back today from them with what looks a lot like a job offer. Essentially reiterating the salary and asking if Im still interested and willing to relocate.

E: Im basically just wondering if this is a job offer or more of a "were still considering candidates and are checking with everyone to see who we can disregard entirely."

Usually my offer letters stated pretty explicitly in the e-mail subject whether it was the tentative offer or final offer and included the next steps or what paperwork needed to be completed before they could extend an entry-on-duty date.

They may be seeing if you are still interested prior to sending an offer out. Sometimes this happens when the first choice backs out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm working on an online job application on usajobs, and is there any recommendation for what date to put on when I'd be available to work? I live in south Florida while the job's in DC, and while my apartment complex has a two month minimum notice I'm not adverse to just eating the extra fee if I were to get this job. Is three weeks from the date applications end a good idea?

I'm not seriously expecting to get this job, but I would like to cover my bases.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

NintyFresh posted:

Usually my offer letters stated pretty explicitly in the e-mail subject whether it was the tentative offer or final offer and included the next steps or what paperwork needed to be completed before they could extend an entry-on-duty date.

This has been the case for me as well.

Last offer I received wasn't very clear so I called the HR rep to ask something about the salary or start date. He ended the call by saying "well, do you accept?"

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Cythereal posted:

I'm working on an online job application on usajobs, and is there any recommendation for what date to put on when I'd be available to work? I live in south Florida while the job's in DC, and while my apartment complex has a two month minimum notice I'm not adverse to just eating the extra fee if I were to get this job. Is three weeks from the date applications end a good idea?

I'm not seriously expecting to get this job, but I would like to cover my bases.

I'd say just put today's date or whatever. Your actual start date will be determined way down the road after if and when they decide to offer you a position.

Doctor Bovine
Aug 7, 2007
Proud graduate of Bovine University
My future boss emailed me earlier this week to say I should be receiving a phone call this week with an offer. But that call never came. I guess that means I passed my background check. Waiting around like this is the pits. I stayed in every night this week because DC is 12 hours behind and I didn't want to miss the call.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Doctor Bovine posted:

My future boss emailed me earlier this week to say I should be receiving a phone call this week with an offer. But that call never came. I guess that means I passed my background check. Waiting around like this is the pits. I stayed in every night this week because DC is 12 hours behind and I didn't want to miss the call.

This has been me for the last month and a half. Keep strong :respek:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Health insurance question:

My wife is starting a job with USGS soon and we will likely be merging health insurance for the first time (previously she has been covered under her grad student aid, and I've been on my own with my municipal employer). We're trying to figure out who should be on whose insurance. My employer offers a benefit where I can receive $200/month if I do not use their health insurance and demonstrate alternate coverage through my spouse. Does the federal gov't offer a similar benefit, i.e. if my wife goes on my health insurance does she get a bonus payment? We haven't found anything so far but of course the explanatory materials are a bazillion pages so I thought I'd check in here.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

No bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Go on the federal plan. You're covered if she dies forever.