Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Where is a good place to see players' contract breakdown, such as how much they are due over the next few years and such?

And also, I've googled my rear end off but I can't find anything that says how many total penalties were called this year in comparison to other years.

Cole fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Detective Thompson posted:

Flynn will be an unrestricted free agent, right? He's been in the league for four years at the end of this season, right? It'll be cool to see him take a starting spot somewhere, as much as I'm sure Green Bay would like to hold onto him for the odd occasion when Rodgers doesn't play.

I'm not sure about totals, but I did see last night that the Raiders have the most penalties on the year. They're also in the top ten penalized teams like four other times, if I remember the list right.

I read about the Raiders, but with the strict calling of everything you do to a QB, I was curious of the total number of penalties for the entire year is more than any other year. It just seems like it would be with the amount of flags that get thrown in every single game.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

zoux posted:

What exactly is the Rex Ryan foot fetish scandal, I totally missed it when it happened and I want to laugh along with the rest of you.

His wife is apparently starring in foot fetish videos.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Eric the Mauve posted:

Declan summed it up, really. Tebow is an H-back that's been playing quarterback. I think he's talented and versatile enough to be useful in the NFL for some years... if you can get around the ever-present nuisance of legions of fans and media who want him to play quarterback.

I think you *can* run an option-style offense in the NFL and sort of get away with it for a little while if you have to. But I have a hard time coming up with any good argument for going out of your way to do so.

I've heard people say speed is the reason the option won't work in the NFL since DBs and LBs can close on the ball so much quicker than college, but doesn't the speed of an NFL offense in comparison to a college offense compensate for that?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
What's the benefit of putting a player on the physically unable to perform list and losing them for six games to start the season? What if they're ok to play after four games?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Roster spots, I would imagine
Oh I see. I thought since they were only inactive for six games that they would still be on the active roster. Makes sense.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Chichevache posted:

So during last nights Seahawks game after Russell Wilson came out of the game in the third quarter I saw him on the sidelines with both elbows wrapped entirely in ice. I've never seen that before so I wanted to make sure, that's standard protocol for a qb after the game, right? And if so, why was it both elbows and not just his throwing arm?
I could be totally wrong, but I believe tennis elbow is caused by inflammation and ice helps prevent that. Not sure why he would have to ice both though.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Maybe I just don't remember, but was Tagliabue a better commissioner than Goodell? I don't remember there being as much talk about him being a piece of poo poo like people say about Goodell. In fact, I don't remember people talking about him much at all.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
College football is just so much more fun to watch.

Unless you're Savannah.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Can you review a play and then call a penalty? In the Packers game, which I only saw highlights of, the ref said "After review, there were 12 defensive players on the field."

I didn't think you could do that.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Trin Tragula posted:

Much as I'd like to get on the scab for something (I bet his announcement sucked, hyuk hyuk), 12 men is specifically reviewable because it's not a judgement call; you look at the screen and count.
I just wasn't sure if penalties could be called on a play that has already been run to completion, regardless of what the penalty was. Thanks for the info guys.

Other than deadball fouls. Basically I didn't know you could review for a penalty.

Cole fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 15, 2012

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Plus once you get beyond the top 25 everybody's polls start becoming drastically different.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

pasaluki posted:

Good question I'm almost sure it is a Safety.

Correct.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Declan MacManus posted:

It's fun and if you're not terrible at it then you don't have to do weird stuff like let your DT try and kick an extra point if your normal kicker is out.

Not everyone can be CHAD OCHOCINCO HOF 20??

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

No Safe Word posted:

HS kickers are bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMF9qgs3PEw

This guy has a right to be all :smug:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
New NFL rule: If you lay down you stay down. For safety, of course.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Dirt Worshipper posted:

What exactly are the printouts that players and coaches are looking at on the sideline during games? Where is that information/where are the printouts coming from?

I believe they are pictures of the offense and defense from a sky cam so that the key guys on offense can see how the defense reacted to certain plays/formations/personnel/identify weaknesses.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Do pass interference plays get counted as passing attempts? I feel like this might be really obvious but I'm not sure.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
So just stash a bunch of people in the booth like its Mardi gras.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kalli posted:

Aldon isn't paid for the 9 games he's suspended, which is 9/16ths of his base yearly contract salary. This unpaid money comes off the books.

So players are paid by regular season game? How does that work with the offseason and preseason and all of the other non-regular season stuff players do? Are they essentially unpaid from February to September?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Its a lot less tiring to run places when those places are already determined than it is to chase people running to places when you have no idea where they are going.

Seriously did any of you actually ever play football?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Getting the right guys for the right scheme is good and all, but every now and then there are recruits that are just so athletically superior that you want to recruit them regardless.

Watch Barry Sanders play for OSU. Their offensive game plan could have been to punt every first down and you would STILL try to go out and get him because no matter what, he was always the best player on the field and was worth six or seven wins (probably more) on the strength of his special teams play alone.

Basically what I'm saying is, they don't recruit based on scheme the way the pros draft based on it. Its part of it, but pure athleticism gets you a LOT farther in college than it does the pros.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

swickles posted:

The problem with this is that you are assuming that the ranking sites are better at ranking recruits than the actual colleges. Its the same problem with the NFL, if you think Kiper/McShay are better than the actual team drafting the players, who have far more resources, then you are going to see discrepancies. The sites adjust based on who recruits who because they know that school staffs have more resources, and are likely better than their own meager staff.

I would put more stock in Kiper and McShay (but I don't, goddamn they annoy me sometimes) than a recruiting website simply because Kiper and McShay only give a poo poo about roughly 45 players in the draft, but colleges recruit out of almost every high school in America.

Try ranking thousands and thousands and THOUSANDS of football players. You're going to gently caress up a lot of them on your first go.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
What's the fewest wins a team needs to make the playoffs in any possible scenario, not just this year? 4?

I guess I'm also asking the minimum number of wins to win the nfc south for the next few years.

What if a team miraculously went 0-0-16?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Why does TFF hate John Elway so much? Honest question. He doesn't seem to really do anything to merit hating him.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Volkerball posted:

He has a really punchable face, but beyond that, it's probably his stupid California golden boy schtick. He was the number one high school recruit, and the number one draft prospect. He straight up told the team with the 1st overall pick that he didn't want to play for them and threatened to play baseball if they picked him, which was pretty lovely and against the spirit of the draft. He also played for the Broncos which, being a really easy guy to hate, made him the face of a poo poo ton of terrible losses in the playoffs and Super Bowl, which added to the "Haha gently caress you Elway" element. Especially since he wasn't as good as Marino but was always just as hyped up, usually moreso. gently caress Elway. I pissed off some broncos fan in an Elway jersey at the game sunday because their mascot was hanging out by the gate and taking pictures with people, and I was like "Oh hey, that's nice of Elway to come out and sign autographs for the fans before the game."

If I have the leverage to not go to a piece of poo poo organization I would probably take advantage of it. Why spend the next several years in a miserable place if you don't have to? At this point if Mariota pulled some poo poo like that on th Bucs I would totally understand, and we don't even have any talks of secret backdoor dealings to get the team moved.

Seriously, why spend years in a poo poo hole? Be miserable for the' spirit of the draft?' lol

And you're mad at Elway for the hype that OTHER people give him? That's pretty weak.

I mean I guess I can understand hating him for the way he stiffed the Colts like 32 years ago, but I don't really blame the guy for what he did.

And as far as being the number one recruit, that's basically saying you just hate really good players isn't it? Did you hate Reggie Bush or Andrew Luck?

Cole fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 31, 2014

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Grittybeard posted:

I hate him because he beat my team in the most maddening ways over and over again.

This is a decent answer. But hating a guy for hype is like hating someone just because ESPN talks about them too much. I'm usually just annoyed by ESPN. Or Nike for the Jeter commercials.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Volkerball posted:

You...didn't hate Tebow? :confused:

No. I met Tebow when I lived in Gainesville. He's way too nice of a guy to hate. It's like hating a puppy. It's a little annoying how nice he is, and it's goddamn ridiculous how in love with him the media was. But no I can't hate the guy.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Well now I'm curious.

If your punter of field goal holder is blatantly attempting to throw the ball on a fake, and you flat out drill the gently caress out of them in a way that would draw a personal foul on a quarterback, what penalty is called? Roughing the passer?

I ask because the penalty isn't "roughing the quarterback."

Or is it...

Makes you think.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

unconscious reasons
I wasn't asking about Colt McCoy.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Jimmy Johnson ran the score up at Miami and it owned until God's Son Joe Paterno came in and taught him a lesson.

Still landed him a pretty sweet pro gig.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Do NFL teams choose to kick the extra point from a hash rather than the center of the field?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Is there a study out on non contact injury trends? Seems like they are happening more and more these days.

Thanks Obama.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
How would a defensive penalty* affect the distance if it happened on the extra point field goal attempt if the offense decided to go for two after the penalty?

*for the sake of argument we will say it is a presnap penalty like encroachment or something.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Ron Jeremy posted:

That makes me so drat happy I can almost ignore how ugly the blue turf is.

we can all only hope to be as happy about anything as that dog is about getting a tee off the field.

if it were me, i would say "gently caress i gotta go get this tee again"

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Trin Tragula posted:

Just found out that back in September, in Georgia, they had a successful :toot: fair catch kick!

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/video-watch-ga-football-player-make-rare-63-yard-free-kick-field-goal

This is a nearly-obsolete (but not quite) rule from the days when football was much more of a field-position game. In NFL and NFHS rules (but not NCAA, it got removed in the 50s for boring, fun-hating reasons), when a player makes a fair catch, his team then has the option of putting the ball in play by scrimmage or by a free kick - and, unlike a free kick after a score, you can score a field goal with it. The NFL will even let you have an untimed down to take the kick if time expired before the fair catch. This is the edge case in which it remains useful; make a fair catch right at the end of a half, and it may well be a better option to take the kick than trying to run a play from scrimmage.

The last successful fair catch kick in the NFL was made in 1976; there's usually an attempt every five years or so. It's impossible to talk about the :toot: fair catch kick without posting the canonical example (also from Georgia, a few years back now), so here we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mMAnYyf8tc

The commentators, of course, have less than no idea what's going on, and there are few things more amusing than a confused hillbilly. You do not want to miss this. "Ah can't tell you what's fixin' to happen here..."

i wish those announcers would do college and pro games.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Aaron Rodgers has my favorite snap cadence.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
How come networks don't switch to the next game that is coming on when the current game is well in hand? Like if a game starts a 4 and runs until 7:30, and team A is beating team B by 45 points, why not just flip over to the game that is supposed to start at 7 instead of making us tune in 30 minutes late?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Metapod posted:

Josh Gordon owns bones. To put into perspective how good Gordon is, the one season where he played most of the seasons he lead the league in receiving yards with quarterbacks that aren't even on the Browns even more.

As for trades, it's just harder for a player to come to a team midseason and make a difference because football is so scheme oriented and languages/playbooks are so complex, especially compared to the nba where if you can ball it doesn't matter that much if you know plays as long as you're aware of what your role is which is why you don't see as many trades.

It's also a 16 game schedule vs an 82/162 game schedule the other sports have. I think that has a bit to do with it as well.

E: Is there a place where you can see the amount of total injuries in the NFL year to year? I feel like this year has had way more than prior years, but to be honest this is the first year I've been able to really pay attention.

Cole fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 27, 2015

• Locked thread