Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

EvanSchenck posted:

There have also been some cases, I'm mostly thinking of Ireland here because they've done it several times, where other countries have refused to extradite to the USA on the simple basis that the US prison system is so cruel and inhumane that it would violate their own constitutions to give people up to be imprisoned in it.

There was a guy with me in County who fled the country after being indicted for mortgage fraud in the US and ended up in Ireland. Long story short the dumbass starts providing for himself by growing massive amounts of weed in a warehouse, gets raided by the Irish version of the Feds, spends 1.5 years in Irish prison for the weed and then was extradited back to California to stand trial in Federal court for the mortgage fraud scheme. From what he told me Irish prison didn't sound much better than the US prison system I experienced. I had a friend of a relative do time in a Scottish prison and it sounded every bit as hellish as the prison system here. I really don't know if the UK/Ireland has much room to criticize our prison system, as hosed up as it is. I feel like we kind of learned it from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
All prisons are pretty hosed up, as I understand (not having been in one, thankfully). Even the luxury open-air stuff you see in Scandinavia isn't the standard prison that everyone gets in, IIRC, though they generally do look a bit better.

Just saw a headline about a proposal to guard a prison with crocodiles and immediately thought it'd be Florida (alligators, whatever). Turns out it's in Indonesia, but still sticking prisoners on an island surrounded by these guys would be probably preferable to the current situation.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/indonesia-plans-crocodile-guarded-prison-island-for-drug-convicts/ar-CCaEsG?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=iehp

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

EvanSchenck posted:

There was a fairly infamous incident that went before the Supreme Court of Canada, USA v Cobb, where American prosecutors were trying to get Canadians extradited to stand trial in the USA for mail fraud. One of the prosecutors went on Canadian TV and admitted to threatening Canadian citizens with prison rape if they didn't agree to immediate extradition. As in, waive your rights and come to the USA immediately, because if you make us actually go through the process of legally extraditing you, we're going to convict you and send you to a terrible prison where you'll be raped. The SCC determined that you have a right to contest extradition, because duh, and that making insane and extravagant threats was an abuse of process, so the guys weren't extradited.

There have also been some cases, I'm mostly thinking of Ireland here because they've done it several times, where other countries have refused to extradite to the USA on the simple basis that the US prison system is so cruel and inhumane that it would violate their own constitutions to give people up to be imprisoned in it.

Most countries do refuse to extradite to the US for capital crimes unless there's an agreement to not seek the death penalty.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CellBlock posted:

Most countries do refuse to extradite to the US for capital crimes unless there's an agreement to not seek the death penalty.

Isn't part of this the case that literally every other first world nation has completely removed the death penalty? I know it's falling out of favor in the U.S. too but you have also have states that just really, really adore killing people.

Yes I mean Texas.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

CellBlock posted:

If you are charged with a Capital crime and flee to Mexico you will be put in Mexican prison and not extradited due to the fact that Mexico has no death penalty. From what I heard from my various paisa buddies Mexican state prison sounds fun as hell, Mexican federal prison sounds like literal hell.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Isn't part of this the case that literally every other first world nation has completely removed the death penalty? I know it's falling out of favor in the U.S. too but you have also have states that just really, really adore killing people.

Yes I mean Texas.

Also California:

quote:

U.S. appeals court rejects challenge to California death penalty

A U.S. appeals court on Thursday unanimously rejected a constitutional challenge to the death penalty in California, overturning a lower court ruling that had found the system too arbitrary.

A California prisoner, Ernest Jones, had argued that long delays in the judicial process surrounding the death penalty in California made the punishment arbitrary and unconstitutional.

The state of California is now free to start killing people again.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Probably won't happen with Jerry Brown in the Governor's office, definitely won't ever happen if Gavin Newsom takes over. I think the last person we put to death in California was Tookie Williams and that was like, what, 10 years ago? The death penalty is dead in CA, just not buried. Sorry for the bad pun.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also California:

There are actually a fair number of states that have the death penalty as an option but don't use it anymore. If memory serves relatively few states have outright removed it from the books as an option; most of the rest just don't kill anybody.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah in the California case it was originally ruled unconstitutional due to the endless appeals process. If I understand correctly the 9th Circuit said the death penalty is still constitutional but the endless appeals process isn't going anywhere so I would be amazed if CA actually executed anyone anytime soon. Speaking as someone who spent a few years in prison I don't really understand the debate over the death penalty because I would absolutely choose an early death over the rest of my natural life in prison. I truly don't think I am kidding either because the US prison system really is that soul-crushingly horrible.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There are actually a fair number of states that have the death penalty as an option but don't use it anymore. If memory serves relatively few states have outright removed it from the books as an option; most of the rest just don't kill anybody.

In MA, the majority of people in the state were adamantly against seeking the death penalty for Dzhokar Tsarnaev (one of the Boston bomber brothers) but the reason he got the death penalty is because it was a federal case and the feds like to swagger around throwing the book at absolutely everyone to please the lowest common denominator in the nation.

But I'm not sure if MA actually still has the death penalty or if they fully removed it.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

MA does not have the death penalty. To be fair while the Feds are absolutely draconian regarding sentencing for minor drug and financial crimes they are generally not very gung-ho as far as pursuing the death penalty in most cases. I dunno, I think Tsarnaev got the best possible outcome in his case. Give me 10 years and a quick death at Terre Haute than a lifetime in ADMAX in Florence.

Just to clarify I am strongly against the death penalty. My time inside made me believe that there are some people who deserve no mercy for their crimes but it made me believe even stronger that the government should never have the power to put its own citizens to death.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

the great deceiver posted:

MA does not have the death penalty. To be fair while the Feds are absolutely draconian regarding sentencing for minor drug and financial crimes they are generally not very gung-ho as far as pursuing the death penalty in most cases. I dunno, I think Tsarnaev got the best possible outcome in his case. Give me 10 years and a quick death at Terre Haute than a lifetime in ADMAX in Florence.

Just to clarify I am strongly against the death penalty. My time inside made me believe that there are some people who deserve no mercy for their crimes but it made me believe even stronger that the government should never have the power to put its own citizens to death.

The question is, though, what percentage of prisoners are in fact irredeemable and more importantly...how do you tell?

Locking somebody up forever is as good as killing them in some ways, especially with how awful our prison system is.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah in the California case it was originally ruled unconstitutional due to the endless appeals process. If I understand correctly the 9th Circuit said the death penalty is still constitutional but the endless appeals process isn't going anywhere so I would be amazed if CA actually executed anyone anytime soon. Speaking as someone who spent a few years in prison I don't really understand the debate over the death penalty because I would absolutely choose an early death over the rest of my natural life in prison. I truly don't think I am kidding either because the US prison system really is that soul-crushingly horrible.

I totally understand your argument even though I haven't been locked up ever, and I might feel the same if I were, but that's not the issue I have with the death penalty. My objection isn't on the grounds of the death penalty as such being morally indefensible or anything like that but has to do with the complete unreliability of the justice system. It's both prone to abuse and much too fallible for something as absolute and irreversible as death. gently caress, even in these days there's people put to death who are obviously innocent because the system failed them, and I'd rather have a guilty person in prison for life even if they wish for an end to their suffering, horrible as that may be for them, than have innocent people killed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The question is, though, what percentage of prisoners are in fact irredeemable and more importantly...how do you tell?

Locking somebody up forever is as good as killing them in some ways, especially with how awful our prison system is.

I'm no fan of the death penalty, but it isn't like murders can't continue killing people in prison.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

nm posted:

I'm no fan of the death penalty, but it isn't like murders can't continue killing people in prison.

Yeah well at least there they aren't killing people.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

"Taeke" posted:

My objection isn't on the grounds of the death penalty as such being morally indefensible or anything like that but has to do with the complete unreliability of the justice system. It's both prone to abuse and much too fallible for something as absolute and irreversible as death.

That's completely my argument too but I just worded it a little differently. I met a lot of people who just absolutely did not deserve a second chance in society but based on my experiences I'm saying I think an early death is preferable to life in a hellish prison system. I still believe the death penalty should be abolished but after spending time inside the issue became less black and white for me. It's a sad, complicated, hosed up situation for sure.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I posted this in the Canpol thread, but it's about the Canadian provincial corrections system, specifically about a jail in Ottawa. Thought I'd double post it here to get feedback. The Julie Bilotta thing has become an unresolved lawsuit; her son died after about 2 years allegedly because of complications due to his birth on the jail floor (born in breach, inhaled fecal matter). Not in the video, but the jail didn't call an ambulance until 45 minutes after they acknowledged she had started delivering the baby. There are no on-site doctors. That whole thing could be documentary all on its own.

Jordan7hm posted:

Hello all. I mentioned the video I was involved in about the Ottawa jail / to some extent the Ontario provincial corrections system. We've finished the last of the editing and it's ready for public consumption. If you're interested, the video itself is about 7 minutes long. It is a student doc, not a professional production, just keep that in mind. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSyBuSsejNU

There's a ton that we weren't able to include, especially about Julie Bilotta's story, but suffice to say the conditions inside the OCDC are pretty dire. I think it's really hosed up that conditions are seemingly worse in what should be one of the "easiest" jails. For the most part when you're in the OCDC you're either serving a short sentence for minor crimes (including weekend sentences), or you're awaiting trial. That short term nature combined with severe overcrowding and understaffing means those prisoners just don't get the same level of attention as more "serious" prisoners serving sentences for violent crimes. The quote that really stuck with me from one of the former inmates, which we didn't include because it was really outside the scope of this doc, was "you go from the sally ann to the shepards to the mission to the jail and back to the sally ann". It's a real cycle for some people, and a big part of that is because they don't go out and serve serious time they never really get the help they need to rehabilitate.

e: One thing that really bothers me is that the Minister and presumably others within the government know drat well that the system is broken, and they say all the right things, but in terms of action nothing really gets better. A lot of people shift the blame back to Harris but we've been under a Liberal government in Ontario long enough that I think that's a piss excuse. Jason Gilbert's quote at the end is really spot on, and kind of depressing.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...Whatever happened to Hiding From Goro, anyway?

Does anyone know? Is this a taboo topic?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah well at least there they aren't killing people.

Joke or not, this is unironically an example of the mindset that leads to such lovely conditions in our justice system.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Do any non-USA goons know where I can find info on writing to prisoners in the EU, in Africa, or in Asia? Looking to expand my pen pals and get more cultural exchange.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Nordic prisoners at least can receive email normally since as far as I know. most of them have access to a computer and internet, in various restrictions, but the issue is that from what I know, laws prohibiting handing out info. You have to know the name and ID of the prisoner to request their email, or you have to have them contact you. Some of them have a email system where they might not be able to read them as they come, but at some pre-determined time, for example.

I also sent an email to a" friend" in a British Prison, the HMP Kilmarnock. I think there most can't use social media or other internet, but can send and receive emails through their prison account, which we used.

Basically in Europe's case, it often boils to the fact that you have to know the inmate somehow. You can't just poke in the dark. Public searchable databases like the US likes to use don't often exist.

I'd try some discussion forums where people keep in touch with their friends or even read from prison, and suggest pen pals.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 26, 2016

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

reading posted:

Do any non-USA goons know where I can find info on writing to prisoners in the EU, in Africa, or in Asia? Looking to expand my pen pals and get more cultural exchange.

Amnesty international has a large program for this. They can get you started with general letters and probably get you specific addresses.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/get-involved/write-for-rights/

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

S.T.C.A. posted:

Does anyone know? Is this a taboo topic?

No, it's not, but frankly we don't know :(

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Tias posted:

No, it's not, but frankly we don't know :(

He's hiding, duh!

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Ceiling fan posted:

Amnesty international has a large program for this. They can get you started with general letters and probably get you specific addresses.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/get-involved/write-for-rights/

Looks like this only happens in December, and that webpage is really confusing and gives me no way to start writing.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
For anyone interested in the prison system, this is an essential (long) read:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/cca-private-prisons-corrections-corporation-inmates-investigation-bauer

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Jesus loving Christ that was good.

Side note, Shane Bauer was well acquainted with prisons before this story.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–11_detention_of_American_hikers_by_Iran

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

This is a great read. I was in 4 different prisons, 3 of them private and the one CCA facility i was in was just the worst. The absolute loving worst.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
In any ways not mentioned or sufficiently detailed in the story? Or do you not want to talk about it?

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Democracy Now on Monday June 27 (I think) also interviewed him about the story.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Justice Department says it will end the use of private prisons.*

"Officials concluded the facilities are both less safe and less effective at providing correctional services than those run by the government."

*(Does not apply to state prisons or ICE Castles)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Holy poo poo! WB HidingFromGoro <3

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

The private prison I was in is on the chopping block. I have mixed feelings though. I'm glad to see federal private prisons go because GEO, CCA, MTC and all of them are awful, immoral corporations and I wish the worst for them.

I'm conflicted because this will probably cause my friends who are still there will be relocated farther away from their families, not to mention a lot of the staff members will likely lose their jobs. Most of the COs and staff were just regular non-sadistic working people and it was made clear to us inmates that this was just a job for them and they wished us no harm. There's not a lot to offer employment-wise in areas that attract private prisons. Or regular prisons in general.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

What I want to know however is what the Fed's stance on using for-profit correctional services to run their halfway houses is. I believe most of them are contracted out to GEO and the like. I was in one run by GEO and it was more degrading, humiliating and worthless than prison. I doubt these will be closed too as I don't think the BOP had the infrastructure to absorb all of the recently released inmates and halfway house time is mandatory in some cases.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

What I want to know however is what the Fed's stance on using for-profit correctional services to run their halfway houses is. I believe most of them are contracted out to GEO and the like. I was in one run by GEO and it was more degrading, humiliating and worthless than prison. I doubt these will be closed too as I don't think the BOP had the infrastructure to absorb all of the recently released inmates and halfway house time is mandatory in some cases.

You got released from prison and forced to go to a place worse than prison?

reading
Jul 27, 2013
By the way, a nationwide prisoner work strike has been called for September 9, 2016. That's the 45th anniversary of the Attica uprising.

Called by the IWW and other groups- it seems to have a lot of traction among prison abolitionists, activists, and others on the outside, but I've only read things from a scattering of people on the inside who support it. I don't know how widespread the knowledge of it or support of it are among the actual prison population. It is obviously a difficult thing to communicate to people on the inside who aren't aware of it.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

reading posted:

You got released from prison and forced to go to a place worse than prison?

I was forced to go to a "residential re-entry center" in a city 100 miles away from my home where I knew basically no one. We weren't allowed to exercise and the food was terrible and maybe half the portion we got in prison.

They put an ankle monitor on me after 2 months and allowed me to go home under house arrest. I had to make a 200 mile round trip commute at least 3 times a week to check into the facility. There was no warning either, they would call me at 6am and tell me I had to drive down there asap. Impossible to hold down a job with those kind of requirements.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

reading posted:

By the way, a nationwide prisoner work strike has been called for September 9, 2016. That's the 45th anniversary of the Attica uprising.

Called by the IWW and other groups- it seems to have a lot of traction among prison abolitionists, activists, and others on the outside, but I've only read things from a scattering of people on the inside who support it. I don't know how widespread the knowledge of it or support of it are among the actual prison population. It is obviously a difficult thing to communicate to people on the inside who aren't aware of it.

Even mentioning the word strike or having a vindictive inmate tell a guard you were talking about striking would get you 90 days in the SHU and possibly result in a loss of good time. Even if it was unproven. I honestly can't imagine this will have much traction on the inside.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HidingFromGoro posted:

Justice Department says it will end the use of private prisons.*

"Officials concluded the facilities are both less safe and less effective at providing correctional services than those run by the government."

*(Does not apply to state prisons or ICE Castles)

Hey I hope you're doing ok good to see you posting and in spite of these caveats that is pretty awesome news :)

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Even mentioning the word strike or having a vindictive inmate tell a guard you were talking about striking would get you 90 days in the SHU and possibly result in a loss of good time. Even if it was unproven. I honestly can't imagine this will have much traction on the inside.

At least they (supposedly) won't dump salt all over you and make you piss yourself so that the salt eats your flesh away anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Ava duVernay's film 13th has been out on Netflix for about a week now. It's quite good and has been receiving critical acclaim from both mainstream and alternative cultural critics.

Its content and the arc of the slavery-jim crow-drugs forever-war on black people in the country is not exactly "news" to those of us who follow prison politics in the United States. Or any who have read any books like Gates of Injustice or The New Jim Crow, but the interviewees that are in the film really help to connect to a viewer and keep them from spiraling into the nightmare of the statistics and sheer scale of the information that can threatens to kind of overwhelm one's perspective when coming to grips with mass incarceration.

Highly recommend, and recommend showing to friends if they aren't WOKE AS. Also GROVER loving NORQUIST is an interviewee, and Van Jones, in the film, basically says "Yeah whatever Grover" it's pretty good.

• Locked thread