Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

lonelywurm posted:

This is the big one. I remember an ask/tell thread with a ~20 year old goon who'd spent a year and a half in jail in Texas for felony vandalism (apparently as a result of writing on his high school bathroom's wall) and couldn't even get a job making fries because of it. Simply put, felons are going to have a much harder time doing the poo poo that we expect of them - getting a job, apartment, and generally not committing crimes any more because of that felony on the ol' record.

Just an FYI, that was all fake. The guy made it up. Doesn't make the prison stuff any less terrible though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

21stCentury posted:

I'm starting to wonder... When will Americans, you know, do something?

You look at pretty much every part of American society and you can see it's full of bullshi. From a party with a platform that's basically "Disagree with the other guys" to a legal system where a cop who doesn't like you can beat you up and convict you as a rapist. I mean, how long can Americans stand for the 1% who own 90% of everything?

You might look at it and see bullshit but most of those Americans can't. A large portion of the population is indoctrinated to believe that they live in the best and most virtuous nation in the world. This will be very difficult to change.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

nm posted:

It is in my line of work (Public Defender).
When you call the police, don't be shocked when someone gets arrested.
Every drat day (ok, several weeks), I get a client who gets his rear end kicked because someone called the police, generally a family member, who is SHOCKED that it happened.
If there's a real victim, call the police. If your son is "moody," don't call the cops, call a shrink. You call the police when you want someone arrested, whether it was the guy who shot you or the guy who broke your window. That is what they are there for. They are not mediators. They are not shrinks. They are cops. And they arrest people. (They also taze people).

(Ok, this is not the police thread, but still)

I would consider that a problem with the police, not the people.

• Locked thread