Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taremva
Mar 5, 2009
Reading this thread, and the previous ones who have been posted, really makes me wonder why the gently caress Americans aren't rioting all over the place.

I get it that some people are racists. I get it that some people think "they deserve it".

The fact that the US isn't up in arms about this is to me more suprising then the obvious abuse of auhority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
I dont belive (or dont want to belive, I guess) that there are hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of people who see thier friends and relatives subjected to the horros which I have read here, and who don't do everything in thier power to stop it.

A relative of mine got busted for a rather serious crime, but I won't go into detail as this is the internet. However, we stayed in touch with him during the years which he was in prison, and were althogether quite worried. And Swedish prisons have been compared to hotels.

If anyone I knew was about to be subjected to the american prison system, I don't know what I'd do. Except Panic. I'm pretty sure there would be panicing.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
I don't mean any offence, but for a country which shouts "FREEDOM" I'm really starting to wonder.

Just being curious, what is the general opinion of the level of freedom in other countries, for the average American? Does a large part of the population believe that other countries are more oppressed? (Thinking about western/northern Europe mainly, not trying to compare with north Koreaor something).
And what do the Americans here think?

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
But a person who shoots someone's head off "just to see what it looks like" doesn't need prison, s/he needs mental care. Locking up people who are already suffering from mental issues will only cause thier situation to get worse. Which will make them harder to deal with for wardens, more likley to return to a life of crime, and with each passing day it gets harder and harder to rehabilitate them.

I know a girl who works with criminals. Not strictly a warden, but close enough. She views time in prison as a chance to take a time-out. They get seperated from the usual crowds, are allowed to study and get credits for it, are able to work (for reduced pay, I dont have a number atm I'm afraid. I remember somewhere between $.50 and $2 per hour.). If they handle themselves well, they can get internships outside the prison. This is usually one of the last steps before they are released.

This aims to make them break with thier previous life, and give them another source of income. After staying in prison, the idea is that they no longer have any ties to the criminal world. Of course, there are people who commit atrocious crimes, but that is no reason to unfairly punish the other 99.9% of people.

In conclusion, I'd say that we seem to have a more corrective rather then punitive prison system. Prison and closed mental care (prison for crazies) are also kept seperate.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
I belive that's "too soft" according to the public standards. The same opinions have been voiced in sweden.

And I also remember that prison thread in LF where they had footage from a norwegian prison.

And one thing I figure I should mention: There is hardly any cases of rape in swedish prisons. The amount is so close to 0 that it's considered a non-issue, and I've never heard of it, ever.

• Locked thread