Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

taremva posted:

I don't mean any offence, but for a country which shouts "FREEDOM" I'm really starting to wonder.

Just being curious, what is the general opinion of the level of freedom in other countries, for the average American? Does a large part of the population believe that other countries are more oppressed? (Thinking about western/northern Europe mainly, not trying to compare with north Koreaor something).
And what do the Americans here think?

20-40% think that Europe is a commie-nazi, death-camp-ridden hellhole. These are the Bush Supporters from 2008, and the current Tea Party.

About 40% don't know or care, for various reasons.

10-30% think that it a generally nice place to live, has a lot of things done better than the US, but is not perfect. These are the people in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

HidingFromGoro posted:

[*]PA: Bill would ease overcrowding in prisons.

Do you think this might be a start to the end of the War on Crime? If policy makers are starting to see how expensive running these prisons are, compared to how minor most "crimes" are, combined with the current tea party/libertarian climate, perhaps fiscal concerns might take precedence over vengeance for at least a short time?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

mew force shoelace posted:

Yes, of all the threads this is the thread to promote the war on drugs as having positive outcomes yessssss

I think its a law of nature. "All cop and prison threads, as time goes on, have the probability of agreeing with the Drug War approach 1."

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

HidingFromGoro posted:

On the one hand, less overcrowding is good. On the other hand, CCA. I'm not sure which will be worse for the inmates.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Medieval Thinker posted:

I fully agree with this assessment, which is why in my earlier posts I suggested that the vast majority of people who are currently in prison (drug users and nonviolent criminals) be let out but forced to pay for at least a percentage of the damage they have caused.

That is because they are drug users and nonviolent criminals. They are in jail because they are either addicted or desperate. Just letting them go and saying, "Pay us or else" causes even more desperation in them. Rather than helping them overcome their addiction and financial difficulties you are adding to them. Not only are they addicted to Meth and having to pay for it to get through the day, but now they have to pay 10% more to the government. What is the only place they have found that gets them enough money to do this?

Crime.

You are forcing them to to turn to crime to pay off their debts because they don't know how to do otherwise. The only way this might work is if you only put this tax on them 10 years or so after they are released (successfully) from a treatment program. They will either have had their lives put back together by that point, or they would be more or less incurable.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Murderers have some of the lowest recidivism rates out of all prisoners. The idea that we need to give life sentences in prison, much less the death sentence, is barbaric to me. A life sentence is a death sentence of old age.

Is this true? I've always assumed so, as well. I'm guessing, not based on any real research, that most homicides are done in-the-moment. The "catching the wife in bed with another" scenario, moreso than the planned-over-months-for-fun kind. Even a bunch of the planned murders are probably because of an emotional insanity, something causes them to snap, and not actual malice to other human beings. I wouldn't be surprised if there are tons of murderers who feel horrible about what they did once they regained sanity.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

HidingFromGoro posted:

No Country for Second Chances: Obama still has not granted one pardon and has turned down 605 requests for commutations.

Why do I still come to D&D? It depresses me so much, especially with what the "good" party is actually doing, or in this case, not.

:smithicide:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

:barf:

Excuse me. That quote has made me sick. I know even a broken clock is correct twice a day, but still...

drat! here it goes again!

:barf:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

DMBFan23 posted:

Sorry if I missed this, but a guard was strangled in a prison chapel in WA. She was the only guard on duty at the time, WTF?

The Power of Jesus was supposed to force inmates to behave properly and protect the guard.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

There wouldn't be. Prison in the United States is a huge risk, what with the rape and beatings and lovely living. Prison in civilized nations is worse than what the social nets will provide for you. One is a huge risk, and the other is a downgrade.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

My high school had no A/C and mold growing on the walls. The lights were also always going out due to bad wiring. It was also overcrowded by 50%. Built for 700, had about 1100.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Obviously we need to make prisons worse. We can't have these subhumans having a decent life, now can we?

Think of the Children!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

How much are you willing to bet that private prisons have almost no aging prisoners to take care of by dumping them off onto state prisons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

The only Hell that exists is Maricopa County.

I thought that was Texas?

Or is Texas just Purgatory?

• Locked thread