Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I work in a prison in the UK, interesting to see that compared to the US we seem to have the opposite problem in that overall, we are probably too soft - saying that, I bet there isn't a single country in the world that has got the balance between locking them up 23 hours a day vs rehabilitation programs 'right'

Obviously, there are some rumours on just how soft UK prisons are - prisoners dont have internet access for example- and any consoles with wireless capability are outright banned (I think I've seen PS1's in our place - they dont have them in their possession though, the officers keep them and 'loan' them) . Some establishments might give them access to learning resources from the internet (I think) but they certainly don't sit at a computer and go online because there is too many issues of them using it to harrass people (for 1 of many examples).

I think UK prisons do a lot of work to rehabilitate prisoners (as apposed to enslave them and just plain old incarcerate them i.e. the US method) The downfall of this is that prisoners probably find it easier to take the mick out of the system and get an 'easy' life inside. However I believe we do good work for the prisoners willing to engage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

mew force shoelace posted:

To soft to do what? behind harder doesn't actually reduce crime and studies show that.
Too soft in that you hear stories about cons saying 'yeah i just steal stuff in winter because I'm not sure where I will be staying, it will be warmer in prison so I'll do something to go there for a bit'

Prison should never be appealing, in any situation.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
There are charities that will help you find someone to live, for example https://www.shelter.org.uk

For me, people wanting to go to prison before looking for help as above means something isn't right

edit: s0meb0dy0 - i work in one, i have first hand experience of cons saying they do! But's that's my point, nuts isn't it?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

21stCentury posted:

What's nuts is that you actually don't understand that good rehabilitation would mean even those who only steal to get convicted would be able to go out and become productive members of society when they get out.

Certainly better than deciding not to feed or shelter convicts.

I didn't ever say don't feed or shelter convicts.

I think my argument comes down to freedom > shelter, whereas you think the opposite.

You have a lot of faith in rehabilitation to think that someone who opts to commit crimes and opts to go to prison could come out wanting to contribute to society.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Dammit Who? posted:

I think very few people who are in danger of freezing to death on the street would think "freedom > shelter". Your viewpoint is privileged and unrealistic.
I suppose this is where my argument falls apart, it is easy to say I'd never want to go inside when i'm sat at my laptop in my warm house etc.
I've also go there every day too which is a bit off putting!

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

HidingFromGoro posted:

UK: Kenneth Clarke ready to bring in troops if strikes erupt over privatized prison.

Someone in our place said there is currently a holiday ban on certain people incase we need to go in and cover for strikers. (I work in another establishment not the Army) I think it might be a rumour though.

HMP Birmingham will be a nightmare, I'm looking forward to watching how it turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

I found it interesting towards the end when the article made the point that private operators need to diversify their business.

I work for a UK private operator, and various custodial services are out to tender at the moment. The article mentioned electronic tagging, which has recently become a national scandal when it was uncovered that G4S and Serco were charging the Government for putting tags on dead people... I'm not really defending the private sector very well

Fortunately I don't work for G4S or Serco and I am quite proud to work for the company I work for (that's probably an exaggeration) but the point is I read a lot of articles, similar to the one you have just shown me and it comes across that private prisons in the US are generally seen as a terrible thing - whereas I think of the work we do in my company and on the whole I think we do some really good work! I guess there are some good eggs out there is the rather unimportant point I'm trying to make...

• Locked thread