Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Domini Cane posted:

In America we see the level of good and the level of bad in people. Life without parole is a harsh sentence and especially so for juvenile offenders. But the legislatures have decided the potential threat to society outweighs the rights of individual offenders once they have been adjudicated. Blaming that decision on the courts is misapplication of fault. Personally, I've seen juveniles of all stripes and colors: stupid kids all the way to sociopathic monsters. The kids can straighten out. The other kind are so hosed up it is scary to contemplate releasing them.

Why is it that other countries seem to do fine with not putting "sociopathic monsters" away for life without parole? Every other first-world country does this, and NONE of them have huge crime waves because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Domini Cane posted:

There is a book called "On Killing" by an army head shrinker named Lt. Col. David Grossman and he makes a compelling argument that American culture is unique with regard to how violence and criminality. The primary premise of the books is that man is hardwired to not kill other men. Additionally, men can be taught to kill other men through a combination of factors for purposes of military and law enforcement. However, the same techniques used by the military are being adopted by entertainment to enable children to lose their value for human life and become more violent.

But there has been a steep drop in the American violent crime rate that occurred just as violent video games were getting big. There is also a lack of violence in other cultures that are permeated with these kinds of games. I don't see how that thesis holds much water at all. Is there any kind of statistical argument made?

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Don't be ridiculous. While the manufacture of military weapons and equipment is of course privatized, the military comprises an immense share of our government spending and is wholly a government entity. The claim that the military is "privatized" is stupid and absurd on its face.

More importantly, the privatized bits of the military (companies like Xe) are typically MORE abusive, not less.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

PT6A posted:

Which brings me to the rape discussion, which I will address only briefly. Victim blaming is loathsome, and what rape victims have to go through in court is, I assume, quite traumatic. That being said, to remove avenues for a vigorous defence of those accused of rape (note: not rapists, those accused of rape. If we knew every accused rapist was an actual rapist, we wouldn't trials in the first place) is going to end with a greater fraction of innocent people going to jail.

We're not talking about jail or prison. We're talking about expulsion from an institution. This is a far lighter sanction than prison. It's something that can be done to a person for plenty of non-criminal offenses and has absolutely no need for a "reasonable doubt" standard of proof.

• Locked thread