Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JackKnight posted:

Ohh yeah. It's in every single book, lol. You kinda get used to it after the first couple times though. I've seen this used in other books as well, specifically in the Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett. Corespawn it all to hell! :-)

Stormlight Archives having everyone use "storm" as pretty much their only swearword is really annoying though.

I'm looking forward to the next book in that series but I'm worried it's going to end up with a lot of Kaladin depression again mainly because his eyes are turning light now and he never wanted to be a lighteyes, plus he's going to find his family so even if they're all ok (which I doubt), seeing him with light eyes could have people react to him differently and make him mopey. To say nothing of what kind of reaction seeing his parents would cause after failing to protect Tien.

The prologue in Way of Kings starts to make sense soon enough and you realize who those people are and what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DarkHorse posted:

I agree. While I won't put it past Sanderson to impress me, I'm afraid it'll be the same old mopey angst cycle book after book. While I've said in the past I find Kaladin's cycles of emotional turmoil to be refreshing and interesting, I want him to be learning from his experiences and growing with how to deal with it. After a while, I think it would be much more interesting to see him struggling with his new authority and power, realize he's getting into a funk, and figuring out how to deal with it productively. From a narrative standpoint, it can be balanced by his enemies becoming more competent and trying to exploit those weaknesses.

My hope for this is that he'll get back to the others quickly and if nothing else being around the highprince will help keep his mopey behavior in check. If not that then maybe he'll get a chance to grow by training the bridge men who are also radiants, as Kaladin was told that several of them looked to be glowing during the battle against the stormforms, and we know that at least one who didn't go take part in the fight also managed to draw stormlight.

I hope the books come at a steady pace though. While they do drag at times (shallan was the worst for awhile) they're drat good overall. Liked it much more than Kingkiller.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Sanderson has said that the second half of the series would follow different characters. You may get your wish.

If some/all of the interlude characters don't end up as main characters in the later books I'd be surprised. Especially since at least one of them appears to be of a different order than any of the people around Kaladin.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Umbra Dubium posted:

Clearly none of Sanderson's proof readers did. It took me out of the story, but I freely admit that I'm a massive dork when it comes to lexicography. :)

Maybe there's a Shin village called cologne.

e: I don't recall mention of Hoid or others traveling between worlds. I just remember the comment about him and Shadesmar(?) in the 2nd book.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

There's also the matter with Shallan being a pretty broken person who killed both her parents, making her responsible for everyone thinking her dad was a murderer for years and all the baggage that comes with. Plus her working with the ghostbloods isn't going to make things better when that eventually comes out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

nucleicmaxid posted:

You are what's wrong with the world today.

The dumb thing with her chapter is that it was pretty clear she came and healed the other kid but everyone watching decided the other kid was the miracle and seemed to ignore her, or the constable guy who nobody ever seemed to question ever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Odette posted:

Obviously he's using the opposite of Marasi's skill. Hacking time, yo.

He is the anti-GRRM.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

What the hell are you people talking about?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Alright, I keep putting off reading that so I'm sure whatever you guys were saying earlier will make sense after I get around to it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Alright quick question while reading through Mistborn:

At some point (in this thread I think) it was mentioned that all of Sanderson's books are taking place in the same universe, just at different times/worlds. If that's the case then in Mistborn is the skaa informant Hoid that Kell talked to supposed to be the same one who shows up in the Stormlight Archives as the King's Wit, or did he simply use the same name by coincidence like Tolkien did with Glorfindel?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Alright, figured that must've been the case and it wasn't just some coincidence. Thanks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Shallan's stuff never stops being painful for me to read and maybe it'll get better but I'm not holding out hope for it. As long as the next book can avoid having Kaladin lapse in to another several chapters of being a mopey crybaby I'll be happy. He probably will though, because not only was he informed his eyes are getting lighter, when he didn't ever want them to, but there's no way he returns to his parents and something terrible doesn't/hasn't happened.

Kaladin and Dalinar get more interesting. Shallan I can't bring myself to care about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Their religion just seems goofy as hell because it's "do X and Y good things to be a higher tier in the church" or something. It seems really dumb until you realize it's copying the orders of the Knights Radiant which you can see with (large spoilers for both books) Kaladin essentially "leveling up" as he recites the Oaths for his order when they come to him, making his abilities/link stronger.

e: I don't think the books mention anything coming from being "elevated" except maybe more recognition by the religion?

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 8, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I was wondering what the deal was with that stuff, as it seemed completely out of left field, even more than the fact that Szeth is somehow brought back when the series kept hammering away at how a shardblade cutting the spinal cord is instant death. Kaladin healing his arm's injury kinda throws all that to the wind though since it's probably possible to revive people with a shitload of Stormlight right after they're injured. Barring any brain damage caused by lack of oxygen and such.

I figured the talking sword was just a shardblade that wasn't from an oathbreaker, and thus wasn't just a spren stuck in some horrific situation screaming in pain like the other shardblades are. Given the Stormfather's demands to Dalinar it seems that the blades people fight over are just eternally tortured/suffering spren left behind by the Knights abandoning their duty long ago anyways. :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Whatever the most depressing outcome imaginable is.

This is the only possible answer. Can't wait for another few (hundred) pages of Kal being whiny and depressed. Again. :yayclod:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Don't forget he'll probably see his childhood crush, married to the old lighteye rear end in a top hat that runs his town, and she'll probably have had some kids with him too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm not sure what will hit people harder, that one of the top two Highprinces was just murdered by the other's son, or that Dalinar's quite literally going to have the right hand of God on speed dial.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Victorkm posted:

The second to last Midkemia book by Ray Feist had an entire story arc where one character was involved in something. Then suddenly in the next chapter it was his son instead who was involved in the same something and not him. They pushed out a correction so that the right character was involved in the right action, but not before I read the drat thing and got really confused.

There's also some changes in Prince of the Blood and a few other books, though I only have the original Riftwar books in paper and the rest are ebooks. Feist has a few inconsistencies in his series and he manages to play down a few, the Dread have several very clear adjustments along the way and Tal's baby daughter simply doesn't exist any more in the Chaoswar books unless we're to assume Ty simply lies about his mom not being able to have had any more kids, or that Ty has a normal name and his Orosini name is never used in the later books.

e: Maybe it's balanced out by a character in the Chaoswar books being the son of Gorath, whom I' am certain mentions on more than one occasion that all of his sons are dead as a result of the attack on Amengar and Sethanon. If the mixup you're referring to involves that character I can only imagine how utterly confusing that had to be before it was corrected.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 7, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Victorkm posted:

Nah, it was Pug and Magnus. In the first half of that particular storyline Pug was hanging out with some Paladin chick from a religious order and IIRC someone else and they were investigating some Pandathian remnants which were for some reason in the middle of Krondor in a fortress and who were waiting for Pug to show up and find this item which ended up trapping him. Then in the next chapter Pug shows up to try to save Magnus from the trap he was in.

Sounds like the Isle of Serpents stuff. Even reading the ebook with that fixed it still was kinda :what:

By the end of the Riftwar books I found myself being more interested in the stuff Dasher, Hal, and Caleb's boys were doing than the enclave and its fairly over the top stuff.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

The Kelewan books were my favorites actually.

Servant of the Empire is the only series I haven't read because you get it in ebook form anywhere (if you're in the US) short of :filez: apparently. The every-growing thing with the big baddie was the downside to the Riftwar stuff(also the back and forth on Valheru), but yeah Serpentwar focus on Erik and Roo was solid stuff.

e: Riftwar basically suffers from DBZ syndrome.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 10, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ithaqua posted:

I was just having this conversation with a friend (like, literally 15 minutes ago), because I'm trying right now for the fourth(?) time to read Malazan Book of the Fallen.

I described Brandon Sanderson as the anti-Steven Erikson: Sanderson has a tendency to explain everything that's happening, in full detail, right away, and leaves very little for you to pick up as you read.

Erikson just throws you into his world, starts a bunch of plots running, and says to the reader, "gently caress you, figure it out from context clues"

Sanderson's over-exposition irks me a bit, but it's way better than Erikson's books... I can't get invested in the world or any of the characters because I can't figure out what they're doing or why they're doing it. It's insane. I've read the first book at least 3 times and I still can't tell you anything about the plot other than this:

- There are some thieves that kidnap a girl
- There are some soldiers occupying a foreign city
- There's a guy named after a gardening implement who can turn into a dragon for some reason
And maybe something about some mages and a guy whose spirit is trapped in a doll?

Then literally every single one of those plot threads is dropped in the second book, and it starts up again with a new set of equally incomprehensible plot lines. I give up about a quarter into the second book because I feel like I should be getting some sort of pay off by that point. I hear so many good things about the series and I really want to like it, so I keep convincing myself that I'm just missing something and give it another shot.

I gave up on Malazan when I came across a chart of book releases vs chronology and how it all fit in and it looked like a toddler drew all over a football play after John Madden had it for an hour.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Pretty much, yes. She also bisects a man and his horse in one blow. Not to mention the whole blood-fountains scene and the fight that follows it. Mistborn is a pretty dark series at times.

That scene was like something out of Berserk.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Other authors come up with April fools titles and fake releases. Sanderson writes an entire novella as an April fools troll to his critics.

White Wolf used to do similar things:
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Dudes_of_Legend:_How_to_Be_Fucking_Awesome

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Chamberk posted:

Also the second Wax and Wayne Mistborn book in October.

I was really bummed out by just how short Alloy of Law was considering how long the Mistborn books are. :/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

mewse posted:

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy

The Lord Ruler was a Terrisman feruchemist - was he also a keeper, or whatever term they had during Alendi's time?

Sazed was also a Terrisman feruchemist but he was able to fix the world. I guess the Lord Ruler only wielded part of Preservation's powers built up at the well of ascension, and then any time he tried to fix his mistakes he was blocked by Ruin? The book said that Sazed fixed the orbit of the planet based on star charts from his metalminds, I guess the Lord Ruler didn't have that information when he changed the orbit.

1. No
2. The Lord Ruler was pretty much an idiot who though he could make things better and when he did he kept loving up more until he decided to stop trying to make things better and just make things bearable. Ruin seemed to just enjoy watching him gently caress things up because it furthered his own ends. The fact that the Lord Ruler used Ruin's own specialty to make his inquisitors is basically the best possible example of how dumb he was even after having briefly held a piece of omniscience.

After finishing the trilogy I was annoyed by the "what if Frodo kept the ring" thing because it's more like what if Faramir decided to kill Frodo, used the ring to take control of Middle Earth and did some Ainulindale-grade reshaping of the world while Melkor watched on from his prison and laughed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Most people take a nap and/or drink on a long flight. Sanderson writes a goddamn book. He'll probably finish Stormlight Archives and Mistborn before Rothfuss finishes whatever the gently caress Kingkiller's supposed to be part of.

Shovelmint posted:

I've been on a Sanderson kick lately, after finally getting to the end of WoT, I tore through the first Mistborn trilogy and just finished Words of Radiance. Definitely enjoyed that Lift interlude, sucks to be you if you hate awesomeness, I guess. Not sure if I should move on to Alloy of Law yet, or wait until the fall when the next book is supposed to come out. I know Brandon's a machine, but I know there's a long way to go for the rest of Stormlight, and I'm not sure I want to be waiting on two series at once. At least he gives us satisfyingly epic endings to each individual book, which is more than I can say for GRRM or Jordan. Maybe I just need to step away from the serial fantasy for a while, and read some quality stand alone fiction by dead authors.

You could read the Riftwar series but some of the books are noticeably better than others (Serpentwar Saga's good until the last book starts wrapping up and veers in to :catdrugs:).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The worst part about Book 3 being Szeth-focused is that it'll likely introduce a handful of other characters and only touch on them now and then, instead of covering Kaladin and the others who are now all together and thus could move the story along in much greater detail.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

Sanderson's just loving awful for telling people poo poo at signings/cons/etc. He basically killed TWoT theory arguments by telling people everything outside books.

Good. I wish GRRM would go on a rampage and start snuffing out some of the really dumb ASOIAF theories.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dalinar's a Bondsmith, and apparently they were extremely few in number among the knights but extremely important? Given who Dalinar bonds with it'd make sense.

Arrath posted:

Has anyone seen Brandon's tweets regarding Stormight 3? Cause I'm getting hyped even though he just started :v:

I am really excited to read about the Blackthorn.

Yeah I want the Highprince of War stuff. Especially the political aftermath of the events at the end of book 2.

Dalinar, when younger, sounded like a complete badass and his brother sounded pretty similar. Those two (and Saedas) young and forging and empire? I'm all ears.

Wonder how they'll handle interactions with his wife, or if she'll just be excluded since he has no direct memory of her.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tahirovic posted:

Sanderson's twists usually serve the story, Gurm has them to make plotlines disappear or get stuck in quicksand. The first two ASoIaF books are cool the rest is worse than WoT books 8 and 9.

Then again, I still maintain WoT would have died without Sanderson, since Jordan kinda lost track and got carried away by useless poo poo, pretty much like Gurm.

How can you like AGoT and ACoK yet think ASoS wasn't as good if not better than them? :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tunicate posted:

The pits of hathsin were supposed to take 300 years to regenerate.

Aol is 300 years after MB

The reason for Atium existing doesn't exist anymore though so if it's there now it's for an entirely different reason. Namely Sazed decided that for the sake of balance atium still should form because it lets him balance out any excess Ruin with the Preservation in humanity. Though as Harmony I imagine he has full control over both things and that it would take something on a god-like level, namely another shard itself, to shatter Harmony back in to Ruin and Preservation.

Sazed was beyond careful in his actions and "oh whoops guess I let this godly material just show up again" would be very unlike him as Harmony. Not to mention if the Kandra still exist in any form, or were remade in some way, they might be back to acting as collectors and keepers of it.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So, as someone who read that without thinking, whose only read the first book, and plans to read the rest, how hosed am I?

It's still a good read despite that poster being a massive dick.

I had someone spoil the "Young Griff" thing before I got to A Dance With Dragons and it sucked but didn't make the book any worse (or better :v:).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Having gone through Stormlight and Mistborn (and alloy) would reading Warbreaker and Elantris be worth it or would they, particularly Elantris, come across as not that good?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Definitely read Warbreaker. Elantris isn't terrible, but isn't great. Emperor's soul is fantastic though.

Alright thanks. I'll grab Warbreaker off his site and give it a try then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Got through Warbreaker and it was pretty good. Title reference doesn't take too long to make its connection known (intended or not) however some of the plotting I didn't catch entirely so it threw me off a bit when things started getting wrapped up at the end. Overall it's definitely rougher thank Stormlight or Mistborn but still good. Now I'm even more confused about how Stormlight is going to progress since Szeth is clearly skilled in his own right even without an honorblade yet if Nightblood is able to feed off of Stormlight instead of Breath then not only would it mean getting to fight at an inhuman level without the life-stealing risk, but it seems kinda plausible (and likely) that using Nightblood against a shardblade could be really, really bad for the shardblade unless I misunderstood sprens' relationship to stormlight. If there's a followup book to Warbreaker I'd probably check it out but this book made me want Stormlight Archives #3 even more now.

Still confused as ever with Hoid. Given his activities as a World Hopper doesn't it stand to reason that he (and some others) would be insanely powerful if they've got the means to grab some of a world's power? Reading Warbreaker it seems pretty clear that any storyteller who is good enough to entertain a Returned is going to be held in such high regard that they can command a high price for their talents. Hoid could (and likely did) use that money to buy breath and even when on other worlds he could store some/most/all in his clothes when he doesn't want to stand out via a BioChromatic aura. I kinda want to see him get cornered and have to fight seriously.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

How would you guys rate Sanderson's superhero(?) books in terms of quality? Haven't read those or Elantris at this point.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Could the Bands of Mourning be the copperminds of the Lord Ruler? Do we get access to them? That would be amazing!

I'm pretty sure the description of that book outright states they are.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Re-reading the Stormlight books since the first time I read them I hadn't read any Sanderson stuff yet so this time a few of the more subtle things actually make some/more sense. The final vision in the first book also looks like it's implying Odium, once done destroying Roshar, is going to repeat the process across the cosmere, shown by the lights (other shardworlds) going out. It'd also make some sense considering how long he wants to run the series and that aside from Hoid he's shown a lot more other world characters very bluntly unlike, say, Mistborn or Warbreaker (the latter of which being present).

I'd also forgotten that the king is a potential radiant of the same order as Shallan since he also sees the Cryptics watching him and that's helping fuel his paranoia.

Skipping about the first 80% of Shallan's chapters also made the book much better because holy hell her early stuff is just so loving boring and it's like he wrote it solely to make stuff like chasm duty more interesting to read.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Elantris is the one that Sanderson wrote early on and is a really rough read right? That and Emperor's Soul might be the only Cosmere stuff I haven't read yet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Awhile back there was mention that Sanderson was going to rewrite/edit Elantris to fix it up and make it more readable. Is this supposed to be that revision?
http://www.amazon.com/Elantris-Anniversary-Authors-Definitive-Edition/dp/0765381028/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8 (and apparently it's only in paperback, not ebook format? Or is amazon just being weird?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

mewse posted:

Looks like the 10yr anniversary edition of Elantris is also being released tomorrow, per Sanderson's website

e: and a leatherbound edition

I might finally get around to reading Elantris then.