Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, those two are connected since the only way to get sword/shield seeds is from crop dungeons, but the game will never explain to you how to get dungeon seeds. In my case, I just stumbled onto that boss mini-area by complete accident. It's been a while since I played the game, so my memory's sketchy on what areas were called, but if I remember correctly, in the Spring area where there are usually mushrooms blocking a path, on the first couple days of the month, those mushrooms will be gone allowing you to go to a cave with a boss to fight in it, who'll give you those seeds. After that, you can airship there whenever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.

Allarion posted:

Yeah, those two are connected since the only way to get sword/shield seeds is from crop dungeons, but the game will never explain to you how to get dungeon seeds. In my case, I just stumbled onto that boss mini-area by complete accident. It's been a while since I played the game, so my memory's sketchy on what areas were called, but if I remember correctly, in the Spring area where there are usually mushrooms blocking a path, on the first couple days of the month, those mushrooms will be gone allowing you to go to a cave with a boss to fight in it, who'll give you those seeds. After that, you can airship there whenever you want.

I found my way over there by accident too, but I'm super strong and beat the crap out of everything in there. I keep sickleing the one I've been growing forever in hopes of getting high level monsters who will kick my rear end, but I just keep punching and rolling all over them.

I think I'm gonna try to plant some giant trees or something. Is there any way to get more seeds when I sickle a plant? I have a highest-level sickle and I still only get one per slash.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

bigass jncos posted:

I found my way over there by accident too, but I'm super strong and beat the crap out of everything in there. I keep sickleing the one I've been growing forever in hopes of getting high level monsters who will kick my rear end, but I just keep punching and rolling all over them.

I think I'm gonna try to plant some giant trees or something. Is there any way to get more seeds when I sickle a plant? I have a highest-level sickle and I still only get one per slash.

I think a rank 10 crop dungeon tops out at level 100ish enemies. Certainly not worth the effort by the time I had a sickle that could get me rank 10 seeds. (That's the advantage to better sickles, a higher cap on the rank of the seeds they can harvest. Don't remember ever getting larger seed yields)

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
That reminds me of another "holy poo poo really?!" RF4 tip; go buy a magnifying glass and temper it on to one of your farm tools. Just do it

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

bigass jncos posted:

Either way the game still owns and I've gotten my money's worth out of that sucker. I just want an excuse to spend more time with my anime friends - enough to start a dang anime family.

Play Rune Factory 3. The request system is a lot more rewarding and allows you to get to know the villagers better than RF4.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Looks like Story of Seasons is entering the QA phase. Here's hoping this and the later pass over by Nintendo goes smoothly!

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013
Wild Season has a pre-alpha demo up. It's good to see that they're still trucking along but it looks like there's a lot to do before their estimated release of Q1 2015.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Fast Track posted:

Wild Season has a pre-alpha demo up. It's good to see that they're still trucking along but it looks like there's a lot to do before their estimated release of Q1 2015.

The controls are really stupid. 'K' is confirm and 'L' is back. Yeah. Also WASD for movement.
It really feels like a pre-alpha.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Are people still having fun with Lost Valley?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Saoshyant posted:

Are people still having fun with Lost Valley?

I'm probably around 16 hours playing now and almost done with summer; I'm still enjoying it but the problems I've had still grate, the watering/crop picking. But from reading Natsume's and Fogu's forums I learned apparently you dont actually have to water every day, maybe every two or three days, and your crops will still grow at the same rate, so I'm trying that out. The story elements and NPC requests progression has been very regular and I haven't gotten bored yet.

Some new problems though. I've been building a raised crop terrace and a crop growing pit in two opposite corners of the map, and an odd bug happened where the ground raised up itself into a couple pillars in the pit and a raised 3-block section on the terrace, and I can't get rid of either; the pillars have the ground texture of rock-bottom and you can't dig that down, and the raised block I may be able to get rid of if I raise more dirt around it and then dig down, but right now the middle square is a double sided waterfall and looks kinda cool. Though if that poo poo happened in the middle of the map I'd be pissed.

But I'd hold-off on buying it; Natsume is planning DLC, and if they add in power tools and speed up the harvesting it will be a pretty decent game, but the issues the game has can be trying and I can't recommend the game as-is. I think they're really close to a good Harvest Moon game, and hopefully their next one will be much better from the get-go.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Corridor posted:

lol i just remembered the first harvest moon game to let you play as a girl, i think on gameboy colour maybe?

if you played a boy then you'd get to marry a girl and have a kid and keep playing as normal forever like regular HM

if you played a girl, then as soon as you got married and pregnant, the game would just... end. because that's how it works irl and the devs legit couldn't conceive of making the game any other way. lmao

That's how it really does work in Japan. Most women who give birth are pressured to just do boring baby housewife stuff for the rest of their lives while their husband becomes the breadwinner. Companies fire you or, if you're lucky, demote you after you give birth.

I'd rather the games would just let you get pregnant as a man through some miracle potion sold by the hawker or something. That's how it works with the cows after all.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The Wii games don't end after your female character has a child. Hell, you can keep on working as a pregnant woman up until the day the baby is born. Then the day after work on the farm some more. Only the female marriage candidates if you play as a male will quit their job, and male marriage canditates if you play as a female will still work. But they won't give you a dime or spend any money that you earn while playing the game. Completely seperate bank accounts.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Sounds to me that TLV is a case of "Harvest Moon: You are the neighbor"
It doesn't sound like a bad premise, though the irrigation system does sound wonky. Still, I don't think it'll ever be as broken(read: awesome) as the original RF, with my level 99 starter sword and level 99 YAMS, all first year, first season, they made bank like nothing else, let me tell you.

It hasn't exactly tickled my fancy enough to get TLV(and I haven't seen it on sale), so I'm liable to wait until SoS drops early next year.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
SOTA Toys, the company that sells the Harvest Moon plush animals, is having a black friday sale(dont know how long it goes on for): I got the HM:ANB preorder cow way back when with ANB, and I will say it is a very good-sized and quality plush animal, one that I am re-buying ($12.50! Instead of $25!) to give as a christmas gift to my niece, and they sell them on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ART1M9W

They're also selling the HM:TLV chicken/chick combo & dog with a red bandana. And some panda that's ugly.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I have never needed anything more than I need those chickens. :swoon:

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

EU goons, Rune Factory 4 will be up on the eshop on the 11th!

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

LizzieBorden posted:

EU goons, Rune Factory 4 will be up on the eshop on the 11th!

I bought a 3dsxl a year ago because RF4 and Pokemon looked fun. Better late than never!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Apparently it's now out! :woop:

Maybe I'll actually be able to justify it after Christmas. :suicide:

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
A big welcome to new RF4 players! Be sure to read the bottom of the OP for some good tips, the regulars in here can answer other questions you may have.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Still in the tutorial stage but this game rules. I was kind of annoyed at running out of RP and having to go to bed at 3pm or whatever for the first few days but that stopped being a problem once I started pickling turnips. Unsurprisingly a plate of pickled turnip did not win me the cooking festival :( Probably going to play 100 hours of this.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

I Watson posted:

A big welcome to new RF4 players! Be sure to read the bottom of the OP for some good tips, the regulars in here can answer other questions you may have.

Thank you!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Brasseye posted:

Still in the tutorial stage but this game rules. I was kind of annoyed at running out of RP and having to go to bed at 3pm or whatever for the first few days but that stopped being a problem once I started pickling turnips. Unsurprisingly a plate of pickled turnip did not win me the cooking festival :( Probably going to play 100 hours of this.

Get some chicken and cow monsters once you have access to a barn, the milk and eggs they give are crucial for cooking. Also, Hot Milk is a very easy recipe to make (cook milk in a pot, no extra ingredients) and heals 1000+ RP at a go, so it's good drink to have during long crafting sessions or dungeon crawls.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
My favorite recipe of choice was the Flan that you can make with the steamer. It restores quite a bit of HP and RP as the quality increases, and I think it might have healed some status ailments as well (although I might be misremembering that).

The key point about flan is that it only requires two ingredients: milk and eggs. Pickled turnip is good for the early stages of the game where you're limited by your low RP, but flan was useful throughout most of the game for me.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nondevor posted:

My favorite recipe of choice was the Flan that you can make with the steamer. It restores quite a bit of HP and RP as the quality increases, and I think it might have healed some status ailments as well (although I might be misremembering that).

The key point about flan is that it only requires two ingredients: milk and eggs. Pickled turnip is good for the early stages of the game where you're limited by your low RP, but flan was useful throughout most of the game for me.
The key thing about flan is that it is the best gift for six villagers, and makes a good gift for several more. Basically, give everyone Flan all day, e'rry day.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Who can blame them? Flan is delicious.

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009
Is there a way to make the quick-select menu function like it did in RF3? It's kinda irritating to have to go through the submenu every time when there's only two options to choose from and the B button isn't even doing anything useful.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Get some chicken and cow monsters once you have access to a barn, the milk and eggs they give are crucial for cooking. Also, Hot Milk is a very easy recipe to make (cook milk in a pot, no extra ingredients) and heals 1000+ RP at a go, so it's good drink to have during long crafting sessions or dungeon crawls.

Thanks for this, I filled up another barn with cows and chickens, bought a pot from Porco and RP isnt really an issue anymore. Had a bit of a setback the other day when I bought a second field, planted new crops on every tile and 2 days later a storm ruined everything.

I loaded back slightly to give my trees storm resistance and basically wrote the rest off, but quickly made back enough money to re plant the fields by selling flans, omelets and other crafted stuff from my shop. Festival days are great for making money from the shop.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Are there specific items that you give monsters to tame them or can I just chuck random things at them? If its specific things, is there a list somewhere?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Asciana posted:

Are there specific items that you give monsters to tame them or can I just chuck random things at them? If its specific things, is there a list somewhere?

Mostly random things. Boss monsters require specific items and there's a list here somewhere. I think that taming them works better if you feed them what they make, Like giving milk to cows, could just be me being crazy though. It's pretty luck dependent how many items it takes. 3-4 stacks of green herbs is not unusual. One thing that helps is making sure to give your monsters in the barn a gift every day, it raises the same skill used to tame monsters.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Asciana posted:

You can also brush the monsters beforehand to make it easier to tame them.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Nondevor posted:

You can also brush the monsters beforehand to make it easier to tame them.

You can?

God

drat it

This game I already played all the way through has too many loving mechanics.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Yeah, brushing helped a lot when it came to taming Aquarius in Sharance Maze. There are so many hidden mechanics in this game and I love it. :allears:

It'd be the perfect game to LP just for things like that.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
What should I do after beating act 2? I used an order to unlock sharance maze but Im about 200 levels early for it.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Tackling Sharance maze around now is actually a pretty good way to cheese yourself to better equipment and tons of levels. You could fight them legit, or you could do one of two neat cheeses: get a poison weapon or forge a lot of poison into a weapon, hit dudes till they get statused, and then wait for them to go to 1 hp, or wear the wet boots and crit dudes for real damage.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Patware posted:

You can?

God

drat it

This game I already played all the way through has too many loving mechanics.

The crafting gets pretty absurd if you want 'perfect' equipment. RF4 is pretty great.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
What sort of level should I be to tackle Leons tower? I just finished the third guardian and went there and got obliterated. Also, can someone explain the basics of upgrading gear as I seem to be totally lost. And finally, are there good specific spots for mining? It all seems few and far between at the minute.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Did you go straight there, or did you do the chipsqueek chase first?

It might get a level-upgrade at some time, but parts of Leon Karnak are postgame stuff, level 120. The actual way through becomes apparent with story progression.

As for upgrading weapons/armour, you use an item with it, and it gives it the stat-up as seen on the item. For example, Iron is Def+1 so your get +1 defence when you upgrade something with iron.

What it doesn't really explain is that you only get an upgrade the first time you use a materiel. Extra iron will raise the item's level, but not it's stats. Every time you upgrade, you increase it's level by 1, and once it's level 10 you can't upgrade it any more.

Higher level upgrade mats cost more RP to apply (Reduced by skill), and if it's more than your max RP (not current) it has a chance to fail.

Mining is best done in dungeons, higher level the dungeon, the better metals and gems will drop from rocks. Check the signposts outside if you're after a specific one.

I could be really wrong about all this, it's just what I've figured out from play. I know you can add extra stuff when you make the item, but I'm not sure what the benefits there are.

And now, I've got a question about postgame Leon Karnak. I've beaten the Grimoire Dragon and climbed to the top, where the two jackal statues seem to imply they expect something from me. But I don't know what it is they want.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Using a same material in the item you're upgrading halves its benefit for each subsequent use. So if you use something that provides +8 to a stat, the second will only provide +4, and the third +2. If you attempt a craft that costs more than your max RP, you will always fail. Upgrading and crafting penalizes you heavily if you attempt to craft/upgrade something with a level greater than your crafting level. You gain a benefit once your crafting level is greater and the RP requirements are reduced. Beyond that, Elfface is correct.

Crafting can get really ridiculous to its hidden mechanics, including something that only kicks in when you have at least 50 levels in Forging/Crafting. I wouldn't worry about that too much until you finish the second arc and then consult this.

^ Have you started the third arc yet? Because that comes into play once you view the event "Memories" which is part of the random town events after Act II and Ventuswill's perch had been inspected enough times.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 27, 2014

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

god harvest moon new beginning looks like poo poo, i regret my purchase. i probably left it too late for a refund too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elfface posted:

And now, I've got a question about postgame Leon Karnak. I've beaten the Grimoire Dragon and climbed to the top, where the two jackal statues seem to imply they expect something from me. But I don't know what it is they want.

They want you to view a town event that can take as long as ten in-game years to happen if the RNG is unfriendly to you. Get Dylas and Amber to 7+ friendship and invite them to your party, save, go to sleep, and load if they don't leave your group at the beginning of the next day.

• Locked thread