Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

LLSix posted:

I love the mushroom mystery seeds. They're great for being seasonal fruit the first year when most trees don't unlock in time. I also have most of my field planted with a mix of hard and softwood trees, so my farm looks like a forest and you can't even see the ground after picking one of the mystery mushrooms. Its wonderful.

Year chat - I am impressed by all you folks who make it through multiple years. How late do you usually stay up? I'm usually working right up to midnight and I doubt I'll put in the 60+ more hours it would take to get me to year 3. I'm only in winter 1 right now and I'll be pretty happy if I make it to year 2.

I'm in Spring 3, married to Iris and she's pregnant (and her brother just asked me if I'm settling into the town okay. I've been here over 2 years and banged your sister, I'm cool) just unlocked goats, and I'm slogging through Tropical unlocks by drying out grass and running a sweet potato/tomato growing farm in greenhouses to cook. I stay up until about 20:00 if I'm meticulous about doing everything for every animal, of which I have no more than two of each type, or as early as 16:00 if I just take care of the ones who aren't max hearts and treats or there's nothing to harvest. If it's raining, I can be done by 14:00. I have every field except leafy and paddy, because that buttwipe Fritz sold like 400 different types of stuff in that challenge.

You might try planting less stuff, or upgrading your watering can. A larger can speeds up your daily stuff a whole lot. A top level axe, on seedling, also knocks down fully grown trees in 2 extremely fast hits. Every single philosopher's item has a hilarious description, as well. Especially the brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I generally get to done between 19:00 and 22:00 depending on how the day goes. I almost exclusively use greenhouses, though right now I have stuff in the grain, paddy, tall, and spice fields. I always have stuff going in the mushroom, orchard, and tea fields, but like the paddy those are pretty low work, since I maxed everything in them, and even if a typhoon/blizzard hits I have the combo that makes them only take -2 so it's easy to recover. I'll write out a typical workday for me, I guess.

Get up, talk to Nadi and the kids to maintain/build FP, then jump down from the balcony because screw walking down the stairs. My work day itself generally starts with working my three coops and three barns, which across all six hold two of each animal type (one +, one normal) and one horse, which generally takes until 8:30 to 9:00 depending on how many animals need sheared and how much stuff needs to be cleaned up. From the last barn I swing down to my four greenhouses (one for each season), fertilize anything that needs it (only a few are not maxed at this point), and then water. Pop anything that needs replanting in the dryer (well, the merry go round by this point). This usually takes me until just after 10:00. Following up depends on if it's a morning festival (fishing festival I just run down, bait docks, do the contest, and work my way back up). If it isn't, I go down, hit the right side to water the spice field, and grab anything that needs harvested from the orchard and tea fields. Then the left, work from back to front, pick up any mushrooms, then harvest and water the tall crop field (flax and cotton for making clothes right now). Swing by Witchie's to toss an offering to Dessie, and give Witchie her daily Fish Feed. Down to the paddy and grain, to make my rounds there. Then into town. Along the way, I feed the black raccoon dogs and sparrows because I've taken forever to befriend animals. Hit up town, buying fertilizer and half star carrots (I use those for my Dessie offering and teleporting), renewing any expired fields, and then hit up the merchants. Then from there to the Safari, to pop a mango in the last safari animal I need to befriend, and back to the farm.

By this point, it's about 14:00ish, maybe close to 15:00. I take my horse back to its barn, and refill the fodder there. Hit up the merry go round, transfer dried stuff to get the seed, and put in anything I got on my way down to town to dry. Swing past the other two barns, to refill their fodder, and back to the merry go round to finish up seeds. The only chickens I put out to graze are on the same screen, so they get put back up, and I get all my seeds. Work my way back down through the greenhouses and my fields, planting and watering as necessary, and picking up any forage stuff laying around.

If it's a festival day, I head down right after finishing up on my actual farmland, and work my way up in reverse.

Generally, I end closer to 19:00. On days where a lot of stuff ripens all at once, or all the wool critters hit shearing day at once, it takes longer.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Getting the watering combo built helps with time a lot too. (2 ponds, 3 wells, 3 water pumps iirc). Not having to do a second watering cuts down on so much of your chore time.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Blhue posted:

Getting the watering combo built helps with time a lot too. (2 ponds, 3 wells, 3 water pumps iirc). Not having to do a second watering cuts down on so much of your chore time.

I only water once a day anyways and I think the water pump is time locked or something. I stopped watering twice a day to save time, but when I noticed I was getting to bed early, I added extra fields until I'm out of time again. I've got the gold watering can and am working a maxed out first field, 2 barns, 1 coop, bees/mushrooms, tall field (for flax), flower field, root field, leafy field, and grain field. I'm also cycling something through my sowing shed just about every day.

Ya'll seem to get finished with your animals super quick. Do you take them outdoors often? Shoving all my animals outside feels like it takes a couple of hours every day.

What do you think of being married to Iris? She's my first pick right now. I just saw the event where she is waiting up for you and her brother is teasing her about it. It was pretty sweet. Makes me wonder how old Mistel is supposed to be.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 20, 2015

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My animals never go outside unless I'm going to the safari. The only ones that do are the Araucana chickens because they seem to build stress quicker than anything else.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yeah, the only time my animals go outside is either by accident because they're sitting in the doorway or when they're hauled off to the Safari.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I gave Raeger one of his precious sea urchin bowls for a birthday present- does that count towards the 30 of his favourite gifts to trigger the reverse proposal?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

I have two dogs that take care of all my animal grazing. Getting fences around the chickens is important because those bastards really like to wander. Also don't put the rabbit feeder and the chicken feeder too close to the doors, because they like to get logjammed and not everyone makes it outside. I have 2 plots of grass outside my barns so they can't run out during the day, which I harvest each night to add more to the dried grass empire. I'm using my greenhouses for off season fast growing cookables, like turnips, radishes, tomatoes, etc. to help me get the last 4k cooked goods I need. It'd be nice if there was a tea recipe that only took leaves, since I have so many.

I use the majority of the southern section of my main farm for Mario-boosting in season stuff that I either need a lot of or need to improve the quality of. I use the western section of the farm for my maker sheds, 1 of each fruit tree that I have so far, my ponds for the watering combo, and a massive field of grass. I'm going to be putting the pottery shed away, filling up more space with the seed maker combo, and once I get enough dried grass, I'll be moving my barns, coops, greenhouses, and pet house over there and use it as an industrial zone.

I hit the bees/shrooms, tall crops, flower, and root field every day. I'm about to annihilate everyone in total number of items shipped with 4 days worth of dried goods, gold and silver goat hair cloth that is sold for less than it vendors, several hundred fried eggs and turnip salads, with a side order of milk salad, and whatever else I can find so I can get the leafy field and get better cabbage returns. I'm already married to Iris, but I'll be damned if I'm going to cook sub-par borscht for dinner. I'm less than a month from FINALLY getting the paddy field.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Would y'all consider me a monster if I sold Hanako? I just... don't have a use for a normal cow anymore. It's the beginning of year 3, so a lot of new animals are gonna be available, and I've got to cut down somewhere, you know? I think my normal Wool sheep might be on the chopping block too. The horse would go if I didn't need fast travel, and at the very least I need to see if I can move animals from one barn to another because lord I can't deal with a horse and two alpacas in the same barn.

This year's fashion show might be a disaster because they're asking for elegant yellow spring/summer wear, and I'm not sure I have anything that fits the bill.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I didn't know that Eda dies. :smith:
On the bright side, I have room for a spice factory now.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

Would y'all consider me a monster if I sold Hanako? I just... don't have a use for a normal cow anymore. It's the beginning of year 3, so a lot of new animals are gonna be available, and I've got to cut down somewhere, you know? I think my normal Wool sheep might be on the chopping block too. The horse would go if I didn't need fast travel, and at the very least I need to see if I can move animals from one barn to another because lord I can't deal with a horse and two alpacas in the same barn.

This year's fashion show might be a disaster because they're asking for elegant yellow spring/summer wear, and I'm not sure I have anything that fits the bill.

You need regular milk to make some cheese, you monster.

Your best bet might be the Yellow Halter Top if you have it, or the Brown Tailored Jacket. Looks like it comes from Summer Pattern Set #6, which is Wheat Country right from the start as far as I can tell. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v4TtryrVU9JlZc4DHR20TRdLN9RUgkNAyZI3PAwsXZU/edit#gid=689471162 will trivialize the fashion show.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Kruller posted:

You need regular milk to make some cheese, you monster.

Your best bet might be the Yellow Halter Top if you have it, or the Brown Tailored Jacket. Looks like it comes from Summer Pattern Set #6, which is Wheat Country right from the start as far as I can tell. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v4TtryrVU9JlZc4DHR20TRdLN9RUgkNAyZI3PAwsXZU/edit#gid=689471162 will trivialize the fashion show.

Ooh wait, I have the Brown Tailored Jacket! I'd actually been wearing it in Fall and Winter though. Oops. Thanks though, this'll really slay 'em.

Mlle posted:

I didn't know that Eda dies. :smith:
On the bright side, I have room for a spice factory now.

I knew you got her farm, but I assumed she just, like, retired and moved away to live with her grandson :unsmith:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Today I learned that you should be extra careful when taking care of animals at the safari because their products can bounce into the pond.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I just unlocked the orchard, I was thinking I'd be able to plant multiples per type of tree, but I recall reading it's only enough space for one per. Is that true?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Today I learned that you should be extra careful when taking care of animals at the safari because their products can bounce into the pond.

Ouch. You have my sympathy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The early game of Story of Seasons is really irritating. Everything I do relies on the sporadic schedule of my one vendor, and I have to do the RNG dance in order to keep my cow from rolling around in poo poo all day.

I'm sure things pick up when more villagers and vendors become available, but holy moly I can't imagine playing this game on normal difficulty.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Shirec posted:

I just unlocked the orchard, I was thinking I'd be able to plant multiples per type of tree, but I recall reading it's only enough space for one per. Is that true?

I think you have one or two extra spaces if you plant every type of tree.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There are some baffling choices with the rental fields. The above mentioned one more spot than the type of trees in the orchard, one less mushroom log than there are types of mushrooms, absolutely no way to evenly grow all the paddy crops at once without leaving open space, the leafy crop field being GINORMOUS, so on and so forth.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I assume the extra orchard space is there so you can grow mystery seeds. Dunno about the leafy field, unless it's because leafy crops take so long to grow they wanted to make sure you could harvest a lot.

Anyway, I dropped a million dollars on a fancy smancy wedding. Do you need to keep giving the wife presents after you're married, or can you just, like, talk to her everyday?

Two more weeks before I can claim the paddy field and complete my total domination of Farm Wars. Then I can finally stop renewing all these leases.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

TurnipFritter posted:

I assume the extra orchard space is there so you can grow mystery seeds. Dunno about the leafy field, unless it's because leafy crops take so long to grow they wanted to make sure you could harvest a lot.

Anyway, I dropped a million dollars on a fancy smancy wedding. Do you need to keep giving the wife presents after you're married, or can you just, like, talk to her everyday?

Two more weeks before I can claim the paddy field and complete my total domination of Farm Wars. Then I can finally stop renewing all these leases.

There's no real reason to keep giving gifts at that point unless you choose to just not talk to her for ages for some reason and feel the need to recover the lost affection afterwards. Or feel an OCD need to hit max hearts on the affection gauge you get for your family members.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Is there any reason to grow your own wheat and rice? It takes long tedious ages to grow and doesn't produce all that much. I'm more than half tempted to stop watering my wheat altogether. I've been buying out all the merchants since mid-fall so it's not like I need more money.

Is there much point in grinding up rival points? If there is I could see holding on to all the fields to get more contests due to player leases being so much shorter than villager leases.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

LLSix posted:

Is there any reason to grow your own wheat and rice? It takes long tedious ages to grow and doesn't produce all that much. I'm more than half tempted to stop watering my wheat altogether. I've been buying out all the merchants since mid-fall so it's not like I need more money.

Is there much point in grinding up rival points? If there is I could see holding on to all the fields to get more contests due to player leases being so much shorter than villager leases.

Merchants will only ever sell half star products. If you want anything higher, you need to raise your own.

Rival points, only if you want to see the scenes. I don't think any blueprints or anything are locked behind them, but I'm not 100% on that.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Thank you for the orchard info! Another question, when you reset for pearl colors, does it have to be the night before or can you do it at the basket? I might be supremely unlucky if it's the latter, because I got yellow pearl 8 times.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Shirec posted:

Thank you for the orchard info! Another question, when you reset for pearl colors, does it have to be the night before or can you do it at the basket? I might be supremely unlucky if it's the latter, because I got yellow pearl 8 times.

It appears to be night before.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LLSix posted:

It appears to be night before.

Yep. I tested this pretty thoroughly.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Is there a better tv that can be unlocked that isn't the little crap retro one?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Toriori posted:

Is there a better tv that can be unlocked that isn't the little crap retro one?

I haven't seen one.

If the next Anime Farming Game keeps the home customization, I sure hope they expand on it a little bit, like letting you move the beds/dining tables around and letting you put stuff on tables. What's the point of having one those iddy bitty potted plants when it's just gonna sit down on the floor, and what's the point of having a coffee table if you can't set anything on it? It'd also be nice if 99% of the wallpapers weren't really tacky.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

I haven't seen one.

If the next Anime Farming Game keeps the home customization, I sure hope they expand on it a little bit, like letting you move the beds/dining tables around and letting you put stuff on tables. What's the point of having one those iddy bitty potted plants when it's just gonna sit down on the floor, and what's the point of having a coffee table if you can't set anything on it? It'd also be nice if 99% of the wallpapers weren't really tacky.

Yeah I switched to the white wallpaper because the default wooden walls were too oppressive, but the other floors are garish as hell so I've left it alone. Also why the hell does wood floor take yarn?

I'm getting to the point where I want to start getting + items from doing the safari, but I don't want to take care of that many animals. 4 cows, 2 sheep, 3 alpacas, and a goat is already taking too much of my time, even if I don't have to give treats to 4 of them. I did learn that baby animals get stressed out if their parent/adult of their type gets left in the barn and they're outside, though. The dog taking care of my barns is a shiba inu and he is the laziest loving doge.

Is there any benefit to higher star grass? I'm fairly certain the only way to get it is a boosted seed maker, which I just got the combo for but haven't had a chance to make more seeds. I know higher star grass sells for more, but 3g vs 1g isn't really a big selling point.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Pretty much pointless. I think higher quality grass would survive typhoons/blizzards since it's probably the quality lowering effect that does them in, but it's not as if that's a huge problem.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
yay in terms of yarn and cloth for making floor and wallpapers I'm pretty frustrated because I don't have any regular wool, only wool+ and they aren't interchangeable which is a little silly. I don't want to buy another sheep just for that purpose.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

If you're just rolling in money I suppose you could buy a sheep, sheer it, then sell it.

I really like the Brown Alpacas and Grey Rabbits can only have the wool/fur made into one type of cloth. That definitely makes them seem like a worthwhile addition to the game. (It's also strange how nothing seems to actually use basic Silver/Gold Goat/Camel hair, it's all either unprocessed hair or Silver/Gold Cloth+)

I complain about this game a lot for something I've spent more than 100 hours playing.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You know, those +10g per shipment or whatever combos would actually be massive profit multipliers for Fodder.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nakar posted:

You know, those +10g per shipment or whatever combos would actually be massive profit multipliers for Fodder.

That's pretty clever. Still not as profitable as turning flax into gold cloth. Really though, by the time you can make the combos, money is no longer a limiting factor. By winter 1 you can easily make money irrelevant.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

LLSix posted:

That's pretty clever. Still not as profitable as turning flax into gold cloth. Really though, by the time you can make the combos, money is no longer a limiting factor. By winter 1 you can easily make money irrelevant.

Some of the late game stuff gets drat expensive. Buying up all the blueprints I unlocked when I opened the last two traders was something like 8m.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

LLSix posted:

The main advantage of Fodder is that it's braindead to grow. Flax takes watering and then has to be run through the maker machines. It's not much more effort, and I'm pretty sure the profit margin makes it better as a matter of scale in that you can't acquire enough field space for Fodder to equal what a field of Flax would produce, but I'm not 100% sure of it. Still, all Fodder requires you to do is sickle it every day.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I finally got around to starting my second file, and man. I miss the stamina recharge and better tools SO BAD. It didn't feel this slow when I first started!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

TurnipFritter posted:

If you're just rolling in money I suppose you could buy a sheep, sheer it, then sell it.

I really like the Brown Alpacas and Grey Rabbits can only have the wool/fur made into one type of cloth. That definitely makes them seem like a worthwhile addition to the game. (It's also strange how nothing seems to actually use basic Silver/Gold Goat/Camel hair, it's all either unprocessed hair or Silver/Gold Cloth+)

I complain about this game a lot for something I've spent more than 100 hours playing.

Well as of now I have 2.5 million, so i guess it wouldn't break me.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

The only ones I know of off hand that use any of those (and that's because I just made them) are the Butler outfits, which use Silver Camel Hair Cloth.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Wow, high quality perfume raises the honey product quality really, really fast. A 4.5 star Autumn Sky a day will max it out any type of bee in like a half a month.

See Marvelous, these are the kinds of personality details that can make character interaction amusing. I kind of wish she had her own little, like, lab table in the house that she'd work at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Beyond her first two flower events, licorice is pretty great, yeah. I kinda want to play my split Elise file or do a new game+ to see Angela's later scenes, but I'm pretty burned out on the actual gameplay right now.

• Locked thread