Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay so I'm trying to win the Autumn fashion festival (with the flower field on the line) and I have a purple striped coat which I'm told should win it handily. But apparently that's not the case for me. Anyone have any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Consult the FOGU resource on clothing and accessories to see what modifiers match the Fashion's theme, style and colour this season. It looks like you're using the Purple-Checked Jacket?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Sage Grimm posted:

Consult the FOGU resource on clothing and accessories to see what modifiers match the Fashion's theme, style and colour this season. It looks like you're using the Purple-Checked Jacket?

That's the one, but I tanked the loss which was frustrating because it's going to ruin my bee productivity next year.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I guess plant more flowers on your own farmland to make up for the lack? It's only 8 spaces. And if this is your first year you might find that you'll have more space than you know what to do with soon enough.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Speaking of Flowers, I'm all about Flowers in Seeds of Memories. There's at least 3 people on my gift list who's best/easiest gift is literally any flower.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sage Grimm posted:

I guess plant more flowers on your own farmland to make up for the lack? It's only 8 spaces. And if this is your first year you might find that you'll have more space than you know what to do with soon enough.

I don't have access to the ones I need yet, I assume you get it when you gain access to the flower field.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The only flower seed that gets unlocked by Flower field conquest is Sunflowers at Otmars. The bulk of the flowers come from Rose Country.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sage Grimm posted:

The only flower seed that gets unlocked by Flower field conquest is Sunflowers at Otmars. The bulk of the flowers come from Rose Country.

Oooh, whoops. Well I guess I can stop getting angry about flower fields now. But goddamn I hate that like 120 day lease on the tree field, I have like 3.5* peach seeds, I want to be able to plant them where they'll be most profitable!

Edit: Holy poo poo my flax fields are worth 270k per harvest? Christ on a bike.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 28, 2016

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Oooh, whoops. Well I guess I can stop getting angry about flower fields now. But goddamn I hate that like 120 day lease on the tree field, I have like 3.5* peach seeds, I want to be able to plant them where they'll be most profitable!

Edit: Holy poo poo my flax fields are worth 270k per harvest? Christ on a bike.

Turn flax into golden cloth and never worry about money again. Also, if you weren't aware, if you put in a stack of 30, it'll take forever to complete. However, if you put in 30 stacks of 1, they'll all run at the same time and finish faster.

Eventually the countries will start selling cloth as well, and if you've won festivals related to that cloth, it gets the value boost when you sell it back, making it slightly profitable to buy cloth and sell it right back.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Kruller posted:

Also, if you weren't aware, if you put in a stack of 30, it'll take forever to complete. However, if you put in 30 stacks of 1, they'll all run at the same time and finish faster.

This is the quality of life thing I was talking about with Story of Seasons. This and cooking stacks of items counting as a single item for stat purposes. It's just bad design.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Met posted:

This is the quality of life thing I was talking about with Story of Seasons. This and cooking stacks of items counting as a single item for stat purposes. It's just bad design.

Harvest Moon - It's just bad design

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I'm a newcomer to the series like some others. How do you get the crop ratings up? I've just started Fall 1 and don't have anything past 1 star.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Compost or Fertilizer!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
XSEED's streaming Return to Popolocrois tomorrow:
https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/692802508121460736/photo/1

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I got Story of Seasons for my wife a while back under recommendation of this thread since she loving loved Animal Crossing and had never heard of Harvest Moon. At first, I figured that I wanted to take part in the game, but gently caress that, I just like hearing the stories that come from her.

At first, she really hated the game, but she wasn't expecting the amount of tutorials that start the game off, but now she plays the game obsessively. Also, she is obsessive about replaying days. If something goes wrong mid way through a day, she starts the day over and redoes everything. But, yeah, she loves the game now and I never get to play my 3ds because she's always playing Story of Seasons.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Mordiceius posted:

I got Story of Seasons for my wife a while back under recommendation of this thread since she loving loved Animal Crossing and had never heard of Harvest Moon. At first, I figured that I wanted to take part in the game, but gently caress that, I just like hearing the stories that come from her.

At first, she really hated the game, but she wasn't expecting the amount of tutorials that start the game off, but now she plays the game obsessively. Also, she is obsessive about replaying days. If something goes wrong mid way through a day, she starts the day over and redoes everything. But, yeah, she loves the game now and I never get to play my 3ds because she's always playing Story of Seasons.

:3: Good

I cannot wait to get SoS and more news about Three Villages

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Does anyone have opinions to share about Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon for the PS2? I never played it and I was thinking about giving it a try. I am curious to hear about its strong points, weak points, and how it compares to the main Harvest Moon and Rune Factory series.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The owner of the spreadsheet with all the Seeds of Memories info got super mad they fixed a bug so they went the petty route and removed access to the spreadsheet for other players.

I duplicated it. Harvest Moon: Seeds of Memories - Gift Guide and More

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
That Stardew Valley developer is going to stream the game and announce something here in about half an hour: http://www.twitch.tv/chucklefishlive

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

Maximusi posted:

That Stardew Valley developer is going to stream the game and announce something here in about half an hour: http://www.twitch.tv/chucklefishlive

Release date is February 26, 2016.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I am sooo excited. I've never seen so much attention to detail. Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7uXNQskhs

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Looks really fun

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
It's just the exact opposite of the type of game I want to sit in front of my PC with mouse and keyboard for.

I guess there's Seeds of Memories, but god it's just so ugly :(

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Good news! Stardew Valley will have Xbox controller support.

It was said on the Stream.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

Good news! Stardew Valley will have Xbox controller support.

It was said on the Stream.

:worship:

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Welp. I'm sold.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Xavier434 posted:

Does anyone have opinions to share about Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon for the PS2? I never played it and I was thinking about giving it a try. I am curious to hear about its strong points, weak points, and how it compares to the main Harvest Moon and Rune Factory series.

I owned it. It was exceptionally slow, and bland. I don't remember much beyond that and maybe I didn't give it enough time. If you're just going to emulate you don't have much to lose.

It came out at the same time as Rune Factory, and look which game had multiple sequels and which game most people haven't heard of.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the thing about innocent life is that it's supposed to be exploration-focused, but it takes a week before you can actually go outside of the farming area for some reason, so it's pretty easy to get bored and drop it long before the game opens up

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

The Colonel posted:

the thing about innocent life is that it's supposed to be exploration-focused, but it takes a week before you can actually go outside of the farming area for some reason, so it's pretty easy to get bored and drop it long before the game opens up

See I had no idea. I acquired it in the same round of purchase as RF1 and quickly opted to put my time into the game that was more apparently fun.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Colonel posted:

Good to know.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

SuperSpiff posted:

Release date is February 26, 2016.

As someone who hasn't liked the rune factory games, or really any of the post- psx/n64 Harvest Moons, I'm so goddamn excited about what I've seen about this game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Plant Tycoon isn't exactly Harvest Moon on PC, but it looks pretty close. Has anyone given it a try?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Uh, dude? You're deluding yourself if you think Plant Tycoon is a Harvest Moon clone. These are games from the Reflexive Entertainment/Big Fish Game publisher era of online stores. They tend to be really shallow life simulations where you end up seeing the entirety of what you can do within the first 10 minutes, except the real gameplay loop is over the course of hours. You're supposed to check in every so often, do a couple things, then close out the session. Try out this demo to see if it's up your alley.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
Just picked Story of Seasons up as my first 3DS game, but always loved the franchise. I've been reading the tips posted over the past couple of pages, but if anyone can throw some guidance to me as someone who hasn't played these games since Two Towns, that'd be appreciated! Specifically anything I should definitely do in my first year, or other general advice.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Dive for 5 bricks and keep 5 turnip seeds so you can make the Seed Maker Shed pronto and get on top of increasing the quality of your crops. Don't get frustrated that progress is slow in your first couple seasons, they've time gated certain things for some stupid reason. Play on Seedling mode because normal is dumb and only makes the difficulty tedious instead of interesting. Because you won't have much to do in the early game, collect bugs and sell them whenever but store crops away to get a jump start on the Conquest system once it goes live on Spring 22.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
Thank you for the advice! I saw something about gold/silver mentioned earlier, was that something I need to worry about when I first start?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

simonwolf posted:

Thank you for the advice! I saw something about gold/silver mentioned earlier, was that something I need to worry about when I first start?

Not until you start mining. That begins in Fall of Year 1, which is a good 25 hours away or so.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Not until you start mining. That begins in Fall of Year 1, which is a good 25 hours away or so.

For this reason alone Id suggest playing through the tutorial, selling your free cow, and then just sleep cycling until spring (or later) to unlock a bunch of the time gated Bullshit that should really be accessible far before the length of a many games has passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I wouldn't, since there are things that can be done even being restrained from all features.

Soybeans, for example, have a long enough growing period that fertilizing one plot every day until harvest is enough to win you the Harvest Festival for spring.
Initial tool upgrades can be done through diving for materials.
And things like what markets are open are only half dependent on the time. You also need to ship enough profit through the other vendors.

• Locked thread