Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

There's a big difference with seeds, too. Instead of the standard 3x3, each seed bag only drops one square of seeds.:wth:

That sounds expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

Though I'm torn on which Bachelor to marry. They're all so plain. :geno:

Apparently you unlock an Arab boy in Winter if you're into something more 'exotic' :pervert:

But yeah I'm kinda thinking I might restart as a boy so I could woo that bitchy bluehaired girl or the asian chick in insane dresses.

Okay, been playing for two whole ingame days now! Thoughts:

- The old ladies in the town make some loving creepy sounds

- Arrgh why are all items such different qualities, I have like ten of each flower and they're all half a star off and don't loving stack :argh:

- Oh god this sidestepping thing is insanely useful, working the fields is almost fun now. I can never go back to other HM games after this

- Holy hell, you can pick that suave rich kid as a husband OR his baby brother? :psyduck:

- WHAT THE CRAP TIME PASSES INDOORS WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT

Question: how I mine for fish? Also how do you catch bugs and frogbugs?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

PotU posted:

Do you get anything for befriending all the villagers or is it enough to just get the hearts of the bachelor/ette and his/her family?

Dude, it's just out. Even fogu.com doesn't have that much info yet.

rear end Crackers! posted:

It's also

WHAT THE CRAP TIME PASSES ON THE ITEMS SCREEN WHAT THE FFFFFFFFF

The only way I've found to actually pause the game is to trigger a text box either by talking to someone or looking at the calender or some poo poo.

Yyeeaaaah, I popped that screen up and went to get a sandwich and when I come back it's like 5am and my crops are dried. Closing the DS seems to work though.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh my god I just learned that I can own multiple kitties in this game. :aaa: I am buying every kitty. I will be a crazy cat lady on my kitty farm.

Revol posted:

Yeah, I'm picking the latter, Freya. She's a bit easy to play for because butterflies are a +150 FP gift for her, and then once you get good enough to make Superb Cheese, you'll have a +500 FP gift ready.

And it helps that her name is the name of a heavy metal song and of the Norse goddess of "love, beauty, fertility, gold, seiğr (witchcraft), war, and death". Finally, she has no relatives in town, meaning nobody else needed to befriend to hitch her.

The blue-haired girl is a prissy bitch, the blonde is a lowly servant, and the Japanese girl sounds incredibly hard.

Hahahaha "the Japanese girl sounds incredibly hard", you have never played a HM game before have you. :haw: In previous versions if you wanted to marry the ultimate special girl (Harvest Goddess) you had to a) ship one of every single item including the insanely expensive accessories, b) find all the magic jewels in the horrible 99999 floor mines, c) have every goddamn upgrade... the list goes on forever. The Japanese girl also has no relatives in town, only requirement is giving her 120 gifts, which is not really that many.

The Freya girl weirds me out because she has the same name and basic appearance as my younger cousin.

I was thinking of marrying the merchant because he's such an rear end in a top hat. Dude basically tells you to gently caress off every time you see him, and apparently once you're married he still runs his stall but doesn't give you a discount or share his profits.

e: scroll down this page to get a list of all the poo poo the windmills can make and the stuff they need.

http://www.fogu.com/hm9/village/windmills.php

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

I decided on Freya the instant I learned that she lives on her own and actually has a career. It's such a step forward for Harvest Moon. Even though I know I'm going to marry her and she'll turn into a dopey, doting housewife since that's what every woman really wants. Right, Natsume?

It would be the greatest video game experience if I married her and she told me "Ok, but I don't want children. I want to focus on my career."

Seriously. I was pretty surprised. She looks like an actual grownup too, as far as this game goes. Actually the previous Island games, while horrible to play, featured NPCs kinda like that. I remember one of the first residents is a young woman with a tiny shy kid who says "Yeah I just divorced my husband and it's affected my daughter so we're taking a holiday here to get her mind off it." You can't marry her and adopt her kid, sadly. But it was kind of surprising for HM. I gave the kid tons of flowers to make her happy. :shobon:

e: actually the first HM had the girl who ignored you her entire married life, preferring to maintain the hootch still set up in your barn. Your baby just kinda toddled around the equipment.

As a girl character I'm gonna marry that Amir dude purely because he's darkskinned (even if he does have blue eyes and white hair). Not terribly progressive but a step upward. I'm also glad the Mexican stereotype store owner came right out and admitted he was a stereotype first time I met him. He's like "Yeah it's a gimmick thing, old-fashioned crap from my home country, I might have gone too far with it though". He was the only real cliche I hated in this game.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 29, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Star Guarded posted:

So Grand Bazaar is good? I liked Sunshine Islands but so far nothing has come close to Friends of Mineral Town/Harvest Moon 64 for me. My two major problems with the Harvest Moon games I've played in recent years: the translations are so bad that the characters have no personalities, and there's never very many social events involving the characters (or all the events are the same), unlike FOMT/HM64 where unlocking the friendship events and stuff was a fun source of mystery.

Wonderful Life had some pretty great characters (mad scientist who kept a mermaid in his basement, giant gay black artist, mentally retarded hobo, cute immortal evil chick, cyborg doctor in underwear, sleeping beauty, pyromaniac dwarf twins). Too bad all the actual games set in that town kinda sucked. :(

Grand Bazaar is kinda the opposite to me... loads of fun to play, but boring villagers. They seem a little better than the Islands and motherfucking Mineral Town though.

PotU posted:

Well, it's been out in Japan for a year and a half already so I thought someone might know by now.

Fair enough... but no, apparently no Japanese readers have been bothered making proper FAQs.

eggrolled posted:

I was glad they sorta spun the ridiculous Mexican stereotype merchant that way, but the way his Japanese voice acting is kinda counteracts that in a way. :v:

Not to be a xenophobia apologist, but... honestly the other characters don't sound much better. Seriously the old ladies disturb me. A lot.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Star Guarded posted:

A Wonderful Life did have great characters, yeah. I could never get past the structure of the game, though. It felt like nothing unique ever happened until you got to a timeskip. If I remember right (holy poo poo it's been six years) it didn't have festivals, either. That's too bad about Grand Bazaar. I think you just helped fight off my Harvest Moon obsession until Twin Villages comes out in a decade.

Well I definitely didn't mean to make it sound not-fun. I'm getting more out of this than I did out of previous HMs. I meant that the cast list doesn't have the FMN Valley level of insanity... they're likeable enough, just not hugely interesting. Bear in mind that I hated most of the Mineral Town inhabitants, and was bored brainless by everyone in the Islands games except Gannondorf. In this I actually care to some tiny degree about fixing the dumb town (god knows why), which is way more than the other games where I mostly tried to be as big an rear end in a top hat as possible.

I also like how it's kind of Dutch, with the windmills and clothing styles. What a weird decision, but oddly charming.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Is there any way to put down the chicken you are carrying other than hurling it across the room?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yaaay, I got tbe best reputation, thanks to Ivan asking me the same question 4 times in one day! OMG I get a prize! It's... oh. A Fertilizer. Gee thanks.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Not running with it?

Do you actually have chickens, or are you just guessing? Because my character hurls the chickens every time, whether I'm in run mode or walk mode or standing still. If there's a way to put them down gently I'm not finding it.

And I've been throwing myself into the river since day 1 and got no gold. Best I got is 'small coin' a few times. :mad:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Quote from gamefaqs:

"You cannot hatch a chick from the egg your chicken produce. The only way to get a chick/chicken is to buy it from the bazaar."

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

omg the kitty is adorable. :3: It sleeps on the roof during the day and can enter/leave the house freely. It also starts with the ability to deal with one chicken per day (carry in and out). Freaked me out the first time kitty just barged in and grabbed a chick in its mouth and took off.

One thing they don't loving tell you is that you can only get pet food from the store, and it costs 150g per can. :argh: And pets gotta eat every day.

Zenzirouj posted:

I've been doing the same thing when I have stamina to burn ever since I found out you could get free stuff doing that. The best things I ever got was an ore stone with a copper inside and an urchin one other time. Then I read about two people getting gold on their first runs, got jealous and angry, then threw myself into the river in an impotent rage. I got a gold. Then two ore blocks, then an urchin, then a "straight tea" (which failed when I tried cooking it alone so I dunno what its deal is). I'm not so sure the river is simply random. I'm going to start worshiping it.

On another note, I tried breaking an ore block, then resetting to see if it would be different. The first time I got scrap metal, the second time I got copper, so I guess you could game the system that way?

Stuff respawns that way too. I woke up one morning and ran down to get walnuts and there were none. I quit without saving cos someone called, then later I replayed the day and there were two walnuts. Stuff I got from drowning are a straight tea, about one urchin a week, two ores with silver and copper inside, lots of mini medals, and like a billion cans/branches.

e: Hey what did everyone else draw on their giant signboard? How many farms have giant penis logos now?

e2: Oh yeah and to everyone starting out, you can actually sell the cafe food you buy at the bazaar to make back some money. You can also sell the cookies or whatever people give you as presents. After Harmony Day I had 4 cookies to sell. :smug:

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 30, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

AAAAARGGGRGRGRH

I bought 30 goddamn potatoes at the last bazaar. I watered them twice a day. They only needed one more day to grow. One lousy day.

Then the season changed.

gently caress YOU RAUL

all my money :negative:

Zenzirouj posted:

Ugh, I was afraid of that. Hopefully by the time I have enough livestock that dogs/cats will start being sold I'll be a bit wealthier.

Actually it seems that Pet Food lasts four feedings. So it's not so bad. Still kinda sucks.

quote:

I was briefly tempted to do the generic penis scrawl, but I decided that a little fear would be the best way to motivate my crops:

every morning I lead my plants in worship of our dark lord

This is why SA has a better games forum than the rest of the internet.

I scrawed a nice big mural in worship of the mighty river lords, and since then have failed to get a single goddamn thing from the river, not even a loving branch. THE RIVER GOD LOATHES WORSHIP. BEHOLD HIS WRATH.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

In Gamefaqs it says this:

quote:

Throw the bell near the cat and it will play with the bell. " ! " will show not long after the bell is thrown, which means the cat notices the bell. Then, music symbol will appear. A heart symbol will appear after the the cat had 4 music symbols previously, and the cat will gain a skill point.

I also read someplace that you need to put the bell away in your inventory before throwing it again to make it count. With the dog you can just throw the bone over and over each time it's brought back, but the bell you have to retrieve yourself and put away and then take out again with X button. I think you can also just leave the room/screen with it.

While looking this stuff up I noticed a thread titled "Antoinette has a huge head". Burst out laughing so hard.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Lemur Crisis posted:

I made a helpful motivational sign for my farm (except the board is kind of small for it and I have zero skill.)

Hahaha I totally did this too, except it said GROW YOU FUCKS. Yours is more elegant in simplicity. :colbert: I think I'm gonna turn mine into a billboard campaign against Raul. Still pissed off about those potatoes.

king of no pants posted:

I made up my own holidays when there wasn't anything going on. By year 4 or so, I declared a day in Fall to be "Eggplant Day". On Eggplant Day, I took the season's harvest of eggplants out of the refrigerator, filled my backpack to the point of bursting and ran around the entire village throwing eggplants at people. Everyone got an eggplant to the face. Everyone.

Mailing this to Natsume right now.

Actually I'm totally gonna do Eggplant Day, purely because I don't give poo poo about my quota anymore (at least until I get some upgrades). It's kinda funny to watch Felix always try to be super optimistic about the lack of bazaar progress.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

He's a med student ALSO HE'S TOTALLY 18. ALL THE MARRIAGE CANDIDATES ARE AT LEAST 18 ALWAYS.

Although it's not nearly as bad as that downsey 'doctor' child, I am still creeped out by these brothers as marriage candidates. Ivan is apparently old enough to have a city job and at least looks like be might be in his teens, I'm guessing he's meant to be about 20 or so. But his younger bro Dirk looks like a tiny child and he likes bugs and plays all day. WHY IS THERE AN OPTION TO MARRY HIM. Also why is he the only dude at purple heart when I haven't given him poo poo since we met.

I've also noticed that in addition to being a solo-flying career girl, Freya has the only 'voice' that doesn't sound like HIYA KYUUUU ^_______^ five year old poo poo. It actually sounds like it might have been made by an adult woman. :psyduck:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Revol posted:

God, I loving hate bringing the cows in and out. I just bought 3 babies, so I now have four of them. I'm thinking I'll just feed them indoors.. it would cost me 490G a week to do so.

Only problem there is that means I'd be losing money on my cows for the first time. Only one is mature, so I only get one milk a day. It's five star milk now, but I'm in the winter. This means I have no butterflies to give Freya, so I use my fallback gift... cheese.

Also, does anybody know what upgrading the small fishing pole does? And how do you get the medium one?

Felix sells the medium pole in year 2, I'm told. It probably lets you reach the medium sized fish, which sell for about 100G or so at Raul's shop. If you mean upgrading the small pole then I dunno... maybe improves quality?

Dogs are in the game to herd your livestock for you, and are buyable after you get 4 cows/sheep. When you buy the doggy I believe it's automatically ready to herd one cow, so that's one less you deal with. Could take a while to train.
You can also apparently call them with the handbell. I have one but haven't used it yet, will try later. Pets need pet food from the store, but one food tin lasts a few days.

And frankly I'd let Freya wait on the presents until Spring. Winter's not that long, she'll still be there after. And since this is your first winter you probably need the money more than a wife at this stage. :shobon: Just talk to her each day and you shouldn't lose any FP.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

What the poo poo happened to the cow festival? It said COW FESTIVAL IN SQUARE AT NOON so went down to the square at noon, and it was just a normal sunny day. People were milling about and Felix was in his house, and when I talked to him he told me that his house is high up. And the festival didn't happen. Is it because my cow is still a little cow? What, so because I'm unable to enter, the entire festival gets called off?

I just started playing Grand Bazaar. drat, the characters are ugly as gently caress and all look like children. TV has way nicer sprites. :( And not having a shipping bin is annoying. I drew a rendition of the Jaws poster on that board on my farm, though, which made me happy. I'm only a few days in, but so far I like TV a lot better...

I dunno, I really like having the farmer's market instead of a shipping bin. It makes the act of selling your crops so much more rewarding. And immersive, as far as this goes. Plus removing double-jump and run-toggle just seems cruel and ridiculous. I do like the TV look better than the GB toddlers though. Are the villagers any more interesting or insane?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Revol posted:

So where is everybody at in Grand Bazaar? I just reached year two. I've got four cows (Bessie is at full hearts churning out 5 star milk), a chicken, three dogs and two fields with four trees. Freya is at a green heart.

Still in Summer of year 1. Four chickens and a cow called Bossie. I also have a white kitty I named after my own dead black kitty because I didn't know you could actually buy black kitties in the game. :smith: Dirk is at purple heart for some reason, no one else is. I'm hanging out for Amir. Although Michelangelo is adorable in that "what a precious little sweetie" kinda way. I wanna pinch his cheek and give him a balloon.

quote:

That was one of my very first thoughts when I started the game. A super-fine blond with short hair? Sign me the gently caress up!

That cake on her head just seals the deal. Why isn't she a marriage option? Is it because she looks 17 instead of 7 :(

quote:

when you jump (which increases upgrade effectiveness in hoe and water can), it plows a four square shape of an upside down T.. you know, like that Tetris block?

...that is loving weird.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Revol posted:

Really? I thought I heard the opposite. I just tried to play RF2 before Bazaar, and I found it to be pretty disappointing. My main problem with it was that it holds back so much of the game until you have a child. I'm talking about tool upgrades, home upgrades, and the majority of monster hunting lands.

Apart from being a far better game in terms of mechanics and system, RF2 has insane characters (and MAX DE SAINT-COQUILLE) and a protagonist I didn't want to punch in the face.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Awesome, I just found that I can buy cows fully grown. They're more expensive but I don't have to sit around shoveling food into their bottomless maws or shoving them in and out of the door each day for a month, waiting for them to grow up.

Now I still do that but I get milk.

And I just got a bell for my kitty. Watching it hurl that thing around is the cutest :3:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Revol posted:

But when you buy a baby animal, they start out with two hearts! By the time they're fully grown, they're probably at three or four hearts.

Who cares, I can still sell that poo poo as herb cheese.

Oh, and to the person who swore blind that watering crops twice makes them actually grow slowly because the quality is higher, you're an idiot or an rear end in a top hat. And because I listened to you my pumpkins won't ripen in time. :mad:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh god my crops. :qq:

I spent a ton of money on potatoes in spring, the season changed just before they ripened. I tried to recoup my losses by throwing all my money at pumpkins but I didn't water enough, and now it looks like they're not going to ripen in time either.

ALL MY MONEY

Necroneocon posted:

Does anyone know if there is some sort of method to ringing the bell at the bazaar? I am in Fall of year 1 and either I am having really bad luck or I am doing something wrong. What am I gonna do with 50+ roasted eggplants now? :saddowns: I have never been really good at Harvest Moon games but I love them nonetheless, and it seems like I should be able to get a hang of this one at least.

Wow, I never have trouble selling poo poo. I usually sell everything by 2pm and end up selling stone and crap. You must not be ringing it very often? Or are you just standing in one spot in front of your stand while you ring? You sorta have to ring it near people so they hear, if it attracts their attention they'll get a ! above their head.

I find that the best way is to nip back and forth between one side of the stand to the other. Stand on the edge of your stall, right before it asks if you want to pack up and leave, and then just clang that motherfucker. This way you kinda catch people as they're passing up and down either side. Especially on the left, where they wander in and out of the bazaar entrance. The only time I ever stop ringing is to sell poo poo or answer idiot questions.

LUCYYY! YOU GOT SOME 'SPLAININ' TO DO! :argh:

e: Also the customer attention 'resets' each time you move stuff around on your stall, even if they were in the middle of buying something, so you gotta grab them again.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

Well, I run all over my bazaar's open space clanging like a mad man and generally get a pretty good flow of people, so I'm guessing it makes a difference.

Definitely. No matter how much crap I have or how many different types of crap, I always sell everything I have with more than enough time to browse the other stalls.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also for fall profit padding, dragonflies are decent, but so is Grilled Fish. The cafe dock's small fish are 100% willow gudgeon in fall, and I can make 4-4.5 star Grilled Fish with them that sell for decent money.

Grilled Fish has been keeping my farm afloat since the Great Pumpkin Disaster of Summer '01. :(

endolithic posted:

I have a retarded sheep.

Okay now I'm glad I passed up on the sheep all those times.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Another TV/GB comparison!

I dunno, no matter how many times you say TV is great, I just can't get past the fact that they removed the jumping and run toggling. Why would you do that. Did all the masochistic Japanese spergers write in complaining that it made the game too fun? HEY IT DOESN'T FEEL LIKE WORK ANYMORE WHAT GIVES

Does anyone know why Vaughn is such a popular bachelor, by the way? He just seems like a coldass bitch.

Well that's the point. Dude is all Clint Eastwood badass and I DON'T NEED NO WOMANS. Also he's the only character who resembles a grownup or at least slightly less of a toddler. He's like Oscar the Grouch in a village of Elmos and Tellys. I mean unless you're either 14 years old or a pedo, you're not going to be playing this game with any degree of seriousness.

I adore Lloyd for the same reason: dude just don't give no gently caress. Every time I talk to him he's like "Yeah whatever bitch I got poo poo to do". And he charges exhorbitant prices for his shiny rocks. Even after marriage he apparently just spends half the week travelling and never takes home any bazaar profit.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

^^^ Yeah, I posted a couple of times that it creeps me the gently caress out how you can marry either of them. I swear there's like 10 years between them.

Hmmm. I see the idea, but Vaughn and similar come across like they actually don't like you most of the time, and why would you want to marry that?

Because... it is a game? I think you missed the part where most of us don't take this remotely seriously. It's very difficult for me to think realistically about :allears: what sort of man I should marry :allears: when all those 'men' are tiny two-dimensional cartoons and look like babies. I do not go for the most attractive option. I go for the option that would make for the most ridiculous and/or hilarious results.

It's also the reason I always marry Rosalind in RF2 (I mean I've only done it twice but whatever). Julia is pretty, and Alicia has hot boobs, and Dorothy is sweet, and Rosalind is totally loving insane and leads to some extremely :psyduck: conversations post-marriage.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Just started using the 3rd windmill, and I have some questions about grinding out some seeds. Do higher ranked crops produce more seeds, or am I really going to have to sacrifice half of my crops each harvest to keep on getting seeds? I guess that maybe it'll be worth it if it means having 5 star crops, right?

I also wanted to know whether how many seeds you get out of crops. It would suck if it was 1. I'm guessing it's 2, which is still crap but not quite so bad...

Star Guarded posted:

the problem here was that if your horse liked you a lot, it affected the races. i can't remember how, but you either got put in a higher race bracket or you got less money for winning or something like that. so it was to your advantage to have a skilled horse that hated you. my horse loved me. my horse loved me so much. until I went out to the stable before a big race with an axe.

This is awesome. Horrible but awesome.
So far the only messed up mechanic I'm aware of in this game is having to hurl your chickens/cats/dogs 5 feet or so each time you pick them up.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

LordSloth posted:

Yeah, the farmer really shouldn't become a parent. Either that, or the spouse NEVER should let the main character hold the baby. Never.

This actually happens, I believe the baby is just kept in the bed until toddlerhood. I can only assume this really is because Natsume figured hurling your infant child across a room might seem a bit wrong.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Meliv posted:

Was playing Grand Bazaar, my first HM in a long while. Make 15k at the bazaar, buy a shitload of cabbage seeds, water then for a week, seasons changes, lose all my crops

DS is turned off. My soul is broken

I really need to start a new game

Exact thing happened to me in the Great Cabbage Disaster of Summer 01, I whined about it a couple of pages back. I ended up restarting too. Not as a boy though, because the options for marriage kinda suck and Freya reminds me far too much of my cousin.

A question about pet training, does repeated throws of the bell or bone actually do anything? Or do they only get 'experience' the first time when you see the heart bubble?

Nobody actually seemed sure of the answer here, with arguments and poo poo, so here's how it is for kitties (I don't have doggies).

(e: apparently I don't know either :saddowns: )

Throw the bell. Kitty gets a heart pretty quickly, which is purely for affection boosting. You may notice that even after hurling your cat daily for a month it still hates you. This is because its affection boosts are spread out over picking up, stethoscope, and this drat bell. So now it's got a love-you heart, that's great, but no skill. The way to get its skill up is to wait until the kitty gets tired of the bell. This can take a LONG TIME. It also doesn't count if the cat accidentally throws the bell into another room. You will grow to hate the bell.

So when it stops playing and leaves the bell, it gets a little music note. This is its skill-up notice. I don't know how many times it takes to get a star, it is at least 4 and maybe 5. Getting the music note takes so loving long per bell-play session you might not want to do it more than once a day, but if you do, then apparently (I haven't tried this) you need to either exit the room with the bell or put it back into your backpack to make it 'reset' before you throw it for the cat again.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 7, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

That seems contrary to my experiences. I've gotten the cat to level up with an affection (heart symbol) boost, and the music notes play over the cat every time I put the bell in my bag or the bell gets knocked into another room. Does it get skill boosts every time there's the note, or only when there's a note after it's done playing forever? Also this level up was done after I put the bell in my bag when I took it from the cat forcefully, not after it got bored of it.

That's weird, even when I experimented I never got this to happen.

quote:

And another thing, it got the level up animation, and can carry two chickens a day now, but it's training level is still at 0 stars, but its friendship is one heart now. What gives?

I... don't know.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I tend to sign into different access points, will my friend code change each time?

rear end Crackers! posted:

This seriously made my day. I laughed much longer than I should have.

It's not as funny, but my new game manages to fit 'Animal' into the 6-character farm name and my sign says 4 LEGS GOOD, 2 LEGS BETTER. Don't you loving forget it, cow.

(chickens we cool)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Is it just me or are the multiple choice reputation dialogues at the bazaar really random and inconsistant? I've been looking over the cheat sheet at fogu and gently caress these are retarded. Half the time it's the same conversation worded slightly differently, but while giving a certain response will sometimes gain you tons of rep, it has the opposite effect half the time. Like "Hey can I have this item free? < No you have to pay" makes your rep drop, while "This item is so cute can I have it? < Only if you pay for it" gives you a big rep boost.

Also a guy shows up and says he's the famous comedy duo Ricky And Lucy. The best answer is "Ricky, where's Lucy?" and then you get a rep bonus and an I Love Lucy reference. "Luuuucy! You got some 'splainin' to do!" But if he says the exact same thing phrased in a different way, the best answer (out of the same three choices!) is "We've been expecting you".

:psyduck:

Revol posted:

I am so loving jealous.

It gets old fast. While it makes me feel totally :smug: to see an Orwell reference on my bigass sign every day, it's really just boring scribbly text. I wanna scrub it off and put rainbow dicks or something but I can't because then it RUINS THE FARM NAME :argh:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Cat has been living in my house for several weeks now. Stethescope analysis: "It thinks you are a stranger."
Cat apparently assumes that the house is its own and that food just turns up by divine will. "Who is that human that keeps wandering around MY house? :mad:"

Apocadall posted:

This is why it is so amazing when people train a cat to do anything other then eat, sleep and poo poo.

It's not that the ingame cat is especially hard to train, it's that it seriously makes no sense.

Especially the part where it races into the chicken coop, snatches up a baby chick in its slavering maw, then puts the bird safely in the pen. And in order to make it better at doing this, you give the cat a toy that emulates a tiny chirping helpless creature, which the cat will gleefully smack and hurl around the room.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Been looking through the Twin Villages official site, once again I'm reminded I'm far too old for this game by being attracted to characters' parents. Why are that chick with the glasses and the guy with the eyepatch not marriageable? :mad: They're way hotter than any HM characters I've seen in... ever.

So in every picture I've seen, the girl's been shown with the crops and the boy with the animals. Is this scripted or can you pick both gender and occupation freely? Is the occupation you pick tied to the village you live in? Also can you go hang out in the village you don't live in if you don't feel like talking to the dweebs you live with?

And is that white haired dude a marriage option, because he looks even gayer than the guy in full makeup.

e:

European village marriage candidates
http://www.bokumono.com/series/futago/chara/partner.html

Japanese village marriage candidates
http://www.bokumono.com/series/futago/chara/partner2.html

Villagers you totally can't marry
http://www.bokumono.com/series/futago/chara/villager.html

Gay dude and hippie child
http://www.bokumono.com/series/futago/chara/partner3.html

Corridor fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 8, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Revol posted:

It looks to me like Twin Villages might play somewhat similarly to Grand Bazaar (it looks like seeds will be single-patch again), but TV is gonna have at least three times the content.

And will have jumping and run toggle removed apparently. I'm so relieved they decided not to make them permanent features, they really are far too innovative and efficient for HM. If we get lucky TV might not even have any intelligent career girls as marriage options.

I'm amazed how insanely racist the original Mexican triplet portraits are. :psyduck: I think someone even said their original dialogue is in broken Japanese with horrible accents.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

LordSloth posted:

Harvest Moon: Corporate Farm will come out in 2013 and you can hire undocumented labor to pick your orchard! How low can you pay them? Have to keep them isolated from the community AND feeling in danger of the authorities! Properly manage your threat levels to keep them satisfied with horrible working conditions, but not so threatened it backfires!

You can do this in the GBA Harvest Moon. The sprites avoid all human contact but if you barge into their house and throw enough grass at them, they'll come round and do all your chores for like, nothing. You aren't threatening them with immigration laws, you're bribing them with your affection because they're so lonely that they think slavery is the only way to keep your love. You get to play abusive spouse to a whole tribe of tiny retards and it's awesome.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Then I played the Rune Factory and God drat it I want to marry the hot Mom that runs the restaurant at the beach!

Not to mention the hot mom that runs the weapon shop in RF2. Sure she's insane, but everyone in that game is nuts.

Back before I hated the Island games I always spent all my gifts and affection on the pink-haired mother of that pasty girl and the glasses boy. Maybe if her affection is high enough she'll break her scripted dialogue and have an affair with me. :downs:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

There are like a billion farming-based casual games on PC if that's what you mean. Also Farmville.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

Ahahah, awesome. So much potential for fun there. Maybe I'll convert my home into a frat house and have her call me Bro. Spend all day brewing beer, chest bumping the mayor, getting the dog drunk...

Or I could force her to pretend she still has a job and have her call me Boss.

'Master' generally works for me. I'm kind of a jerk though.

e: Although I would love to see the MC chest bump the mayor.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

CAT TRAINING :argh:

I threw the bell around for a while, just picking it up and putting it in my pack and then throwing it again. Eventually a tiny LVL UP text appeared above my cat. I checked its stat board and it's gained... a heart? :raise: I did it some more and when it next got the LVL UP sign, it had gained a star. So now it has one heart and one star and it takes care of two chickens. I do not understand how this works.
e: make that three chickens. Well that was fast.

Oh and my 4-heart cow won the Cow Festival on its first try in my first year despite the other cows having better stats. :3: It promptly gained another 3 hearts, netted me a Mithril, and pushed Angelo up into purple heart. I attribute it all to my inspirational signboard. Animal Farm prevails!

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 11, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ka0 posted:

I thought hearts were supposed to represent how much a cat liked you and the stars its current skill level.

That's what I thought too :psyduck:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hey I just hoiked some adamantite out of a river rock. Is it super rare or something? Like, should I be saving it or can I sell it off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Man, getting the pot and frying pan is like buying a money printer. I can turn all my corn, tomatoes and pumpkins (which already kinda sell for a lot) into single-ingredient dishes that sell for fuckloads. I can probably do the same with my eggs but I keep forgetting to check. The last two bazaars I've made like 60 000G. I'm still in my first Summer. :)

Are there any cooking or windmill recipes to avoid, cashwise? Someone said boiled eggs make the egg worth less somehow, and puddings (egg + milk) also seem to end up worth less than the egg and the milk sold seperately.

Oh yeah yesterday morning ingame my cow suddenly produced a huge gold milk after giving small milks forever (it is at 8 hearts). It was kinda funny because it was the same day I bought a new baby cow, so it was like OHFUCK I'M BEING REPLACED BETTER WORK HARDER. But the next day it was back to small milks. Apparently the shock of seeing another cow made it poo poo out a gold milk somehow. What gives, cow?

Isn't the recipe for the watering can stone lumber + watering can + orichalcum? I should know; I've upgraded mine like 4 times. I think adamantite is only used for jewellery.

I thought this too but wanted to check...

quote:

Has anyone else seen Dirk's yellow heart event? The whole time I was :psyduck: because he is seriously about 10 years old.
Yes he is. Still at purple for me though and I'm making no effort to get him higher. What's the heart event?

• Locked thread