Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Lobster Fancy posted:

I just started playing it and have found it alot more tolerable then SI/IoH.

The fact that you can do a double jump in this game makes it infinitely better to me for some reason.

I never thought I needed a jump in a harvest moon game, but apparently I did. I like that it lets you take shortcuts to and from the main town. The controls are really different from the other DS games, but I like it now that I'm used to it.

Don't know much that because I only just finished my first bazaar. I spent my profits on a chick so now I'm dirt poor again. I also sold all of my flowers so I didn't win the flower festival. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Ha! Tree frogs count as insects in Bazaar. :v:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

you don't seem to need wood or stone to build (I didn't need anything but money to expand my storage, at least)
Material stone and wood are used when you upgrade some of your tools in the third windmill. So far I've only seen one stone/wood required per tool, and since you can find at least rock or branch a day you don't need to hoard them for that purpose.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: Dumb question, how do I talk to my chickens? I can pick them up and get the bonus for that, but I can't figure out how to talk to them, so they end up pretty stressed out sometimes.

Apparently you need to use the stethoscope on them, which appears at Felix's bazaar stand after you get the axe. Or the bell, I forget which.

tudabee fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 28, 2010

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

Edit 2: Well, I'm not completely screwed for the next bazaar at least. The mayor gives you a fishing rod on the first day of summer (though I had to go in and out of my house a couple times to trigger it). Guess I'll try cooking every fish I find to see if any are simple recipes.

Fish recipes apparently require certain kinds of fish now. At least I'm assuming they do because I have a bag full of fish and can't make fish paste :aargh:

To be honest I sell most of my fish (mostly small ones that I don't have multiples of) to the shop between bazaar days because it seems to me like a lack of variety makes things sell slower. It also seems that some items are only appealing to certain customers.I have a hell of a time selling bugs to anyone other than little kids and since they sell for so little anyway I also end up selling those between bazaars for a little extra seed cash.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Has anyone figured out how to train the kitty? Mine brings a single chicken in/out every day except rainy days regardless of what I do, but its training stars don't seem to be going up. The game mentioned the bell, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Corridor posted:

Oh my god I just learned that I can own multiple kitties in this game. :aaa: I am buying every kitty. I will be a crazy cat lady on my kitty farm.

'Sup fellow crazy cat lady! :3::respek::3: By the time I'm done, I won't have to take out a single goddamn chicken ever.

Also with regards to my earlier question, I think kitties use a different bell than livestock. Of course now I have to wait another week to find out because two cooking festivals in a row means no bazaar this week. God drat locals getting in the way of my money making. Well, at least maybe this time I'll actually reach a sales goal.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Revol posted:

edit2: Let's figure out what fish you can catch with the basic rod can be cooked into simple one-item dishes!

YES: Dark Chub, Sweetfish
NO: Silver Goby, Crucian Carp, Bitterling

Willow Gugeon gives Grilled Fish, I believe.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Corridor posted:

omg the kitty is adorable. :3: It sleeps on the roof during the day and can enter/leave the house freely. It also starts with the ability to deal with one chicken per day (carry in and out). Freaked me out the first time kitty just barged in and grabbed a chick in its mouth and took off.

One thing they don't loving tell you is that you can only get pet food from the store, and it costs 150g per can. :argh: And pets gotta eat every day.

You'll love the bell, then. A pack of kitties spazzing out chasing it is the funniest thing. Just don't leave it on the floor for them to play with and fall asleep, because it'll disappear and then you have to buy a new one.

Apparently it trains them, too, but I haven't figured out how that works. I see a little "lvl up!" above a kitty's head now and then, but their stars haven't gone up. All I know is that I only have to take one of my chickens out now and it's awesome.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

I'm a little more than halfway through Spring of my second year, have three sheep and a lamb, two cows, five cats, two dogs, and an assload of chickens. Once summer (?) comes I'm planting onions everywhere so I can finally cook with all of my eggs. Shiitake is too scarce to make lots of egg custard, I only have two cows so I can't make a lot of omelettes or puddings, and boiled eggs take forever and probably don't sell for much more. So it's either egg soup or holding an Egg Day.

I hurried to get the second field so I could plant some trees in the first, and if you haven't planted a tea tree you should. Like, now. Put spring leaves through the farm windmill twice and you can make a tea (Macha, I think?) that sells for ridiculous amounts of money.

Finally, if you upgrade your can twice you can water 1x3 squares without jumping, which is much more useful than 1x2 on a full field. The special jump is 3x3, but you have to stand in the middle of the area you want to water and jumping hurts your crops so meh.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

I have a retarded sheep.

So I'm walking back to my farm on a rainy day and I notice that one of the trees near the entrance has that little popping vein sign above it. At first I thought the tree was just angry at me for some reason, but when I get closer I find that it's my loving sheep wandering around in the rain. I didn't push it out there, the dogs don't herd the animals on rainy days, and the livestock don't push each other, so it wandered out on its own. To the furthest area away from the barn. In the rain.

Now, maybe I accidentally pushed it out of the barn, right? Wrong! Because a few days later I watched it wander out of the barn and hurry back in. Twice.

Now I have a sick, retarded sheep. I don't know what the gently caress.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

This is true. The quality of the ore apparently has nothing to do with it. With two upgrades you can water 3 squares at once. WOW! Totally worth like 15,000g
With your next upgrade you can water five squares, and it's a life and stamina saver.

quote:

I never feed, talk to, brush or ride my horses, leaving a trail of abused immortal horses throughout the years.

It's at least sort of worth it when you actually ride it, but that loving Sunshine Islands horse was so utterly useless I stopped feeding it out of spite. At least I could see the cat and dog on the minimap if they ran from me. :argh:

Bazaar's horse is alright, though. I got the red one and named it Tomato.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Revol posted:

What, the storm? And going outside? It no event, but it can be mistaken for a hurricane, which usually doesn't let you outside. I'm just saying, don't assume you can't go outside.

And uh.. don't forget to look at the weather icon and throw one of your chickens outside. Not that I did such a thing.

Actually you should do such a thing. Just remember to restart afterward.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

If all else fails, the winter bazaar has some seeds of different seasons and you can just plant asparagus and potatoes all winter like I am. Multiplayer is a pretty awesome idea though, holy poo poo.

I have the same request as they do if anyone has spare time. :shobon:

tudabee fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 6, 2010

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

To make grass seeds you combine fodder and fertilizer in the grinding windmill.

While on the subject of windmills, does anybody know why there are a few windmill recipes at the bottom of every list that are just question marks? When I look at the master list of recipes in my house I can see them, but they're not options when I'm actually at the windmill. Hopefully when I actually have the items used in those recipes they'll work again, but I'd like to know now if it's a glitch.

You need a purple (?) wonderful to make higher quality recipes in the windmill. One of the stereotype brothers starts selling them when the bazaar is at 75%

Edit: Speaking of which, did you know that their sprites used to be worse?

:gonk:

tudabee fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 6, 2010

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

rear end Crackers! posted:

I just started Spring year 2, so we could trade, though you'll have to wait for the Wheat seeds, I just had a bazaar.

Also where do I find my friend code? I feel so dumb :(

When you start up Grand Bazaar, there are two things related to connecting, the Multiplayer button and the Ninendo Wi-Fi Connection Setup. If you haven't connected to wifi with your DS before, choose the Connection Setup. If you have, skip the next paragraph.

On the next screen tap the big blue button. Then choose one of the three connection slots. If you have wifi in your home, you can select "search for an access point" and look for your connection. Select it and enter your WEP key, then it will start a connection test. If it's successful, yay! If not, or you don't have wifi, maybe ask for help here or in the DS thread.

Anyway, if you've already done that, go back to the opening screen and select multiplayer. Select your save. After this, I believe you select Nintendo WFC. It will calibrate or whatever your game and the DS and give you a friend code. Now the multiplayer screen should have the friend roster available. When you select friend roster, on your top screen you'll see the your friend code, which you'll give to other people, and on the bottom are a bunch of slots for you to put other people's friends codes.

I hope that makes sense. Beyond that I have no idea as I haven't done multiplayer with Bazaar before. It'll be an adventure for all of us! :haw:

Is this thread a good place for friend code stuff or should we make a thread in private servers or something? I want wheat too.

EDIT: VV Works for me. FC: 3438 8197 6190

tudabee fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 7, 2010

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Hey Revol, if you're still in Fall and have time to buy extra seeds, I just bought a fall sun at one of my bazaars. I could put it in my bazaar items if you're interested.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Well multiplayer is different. No animals, no windmills, no shopping outside the bazaar. Having to end a day with stuff in your pack to sell is kind of inconvenient, too. Nice playing with you two for a few minutes, though. :shobon:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Corridor posted:

I tend to sign into different access points, will my friend code change each time?

I don't think so, other games I've played only changed friend codes if I used the game on another DS.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

SapphireC posted:

Do any of you guys do the make your own seed thing? I just got the last windmill unlocked, but I hate the idea of having to basically carry the seeds around til I can use them again. I imagine that is another factor in trying to grow perfect crops, but I don't know how much it affects what they sell for.

I've started to, though the ones I store are only reharvesting crops. You get two bags of seeds per crop item you put in, and in a few cases the seeds sell for more at the bazaar than a raw crop, so if you don't have any good recipes it's worth it sometimes.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

:siren: Who wants wheat seeds? :siren:

I rushed my way to spring and got an assload of wheat seeds at the bazaar. If anyone doesn't have access to wheat due to being early in the game or in the middle of winter and wants some, speak up and I'll try hosting some multiplayer later.

My FC again, for those that don't have it: 3438 8197 6190

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

Since nobody answered me from last page...

I'd suggest Animal Parade, since it just seems more polished. It fixed pretty much all of the issues I had with Tree of Tranquility.

Revol posted:

Eh, I've given up on wheat. It only seems worthwhile if you're a completest and want to fill out your cookbook. I don't think anything you cook can sell for high enough to make up for the fact that the plots you're using on wheat are used for fifty loving days.
Fair enough. I do cook a lot since it seems to bring in more money, so even if nobody's interested I'll make use of it. I need flour anyway to make delicious stew to woo Amir.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Does anybody know what effect, if any, better recipe variations have? Is it a price/star difference or just improved stamina?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Not to mention the retard sheep you get every once in a while that wanders out into the rain and loses an entire heart on top of being sick. I swear to god if sheep weren't cute :argh:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Sheep are meant to be herded, goats are meant to be led.
Sorry just felt like throwing a Discworld reference.

I miss my Animal Parade goats and ducks when I play DS games. :(

Fishylungs posted:

I don't think anyone thinks it isn't creepy, and it's always really similar between games, so you know that it's going to sound like!

On the Sheep Chat, I accidentally left one out one night, and it was the first time I left any of them out, and the little jerk got sick! Do I lose FP if I let one die? I have 2, and I figure when the newer sheep come in, I'll be upgrading. Not having animal sales in this is probably the only major problem I have.

Anyways, I just wanted to say I've completely updated the preservation on my storage, and then skipped a bazaar day. I'm up to 75% on Bazaar and I easily cleared to the 1st position. :D I seriously love this game, it's a bit more involving than usual, and if Twin Village is anything like it, or even if it's different and awesome in it's own way, I can say these are my new favorites!

And it's still another 760 some hours on herb perfume :geno:

Yes, villagers lose FP if your animals die of sickness, and I think it's like 1000 points. I have a medicine or two in storage a lot of the time, because those little fuckers are prone to getting sick.

And yes herb perfume takes forever. And on lower qualities after several hundred hours of processing you sell it for.. 500g. :argh:

Edit: I don't mind having a mix of cows and jersey cows, since I can just make cheaper recipes with the former and use the jersey milk for the good stuff. But the upgrade sheep makes the old ones completely obsolete unless you have a contest winner.

tudabee fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 14, 2010

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

So you know you can strafe or walk over your crops in Bazaar, but did you also know you can actually run between the columns of crops without hurting them? It makes harvesting large amounts of crops a hell of a lot faster.

Maybe I'm dumb for just realizing this, but I thought it was cool.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Aircraft posted:

Don't forget that you can jump to cover more area with the watering can/hoe, but make sure you're in those lanes between crops or you'll damage your own crops like a shameful farmer

Yeah, the only thing about that is that some of the jump shapes are weird. The fully upgraded can is like a circle with little one square offshoots at the corners, and it doesn't cover a whole field. I find the 1x9 range more useful.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

The bazaar happens every weekend, usually Saturday unless there is a holiday or birthday, in which case it's Sunday, and rarely you'll have two holidays in a row (Saturday and Sunday) and there won't be a bazaar that day. It's best to store your stuff during the week until the bazaar, but if you're needing money or space badly there is a shopkeeper that you can sell things to for half price.

At the bazaar itself, you get your own little stall and add items from your inventory to put for sale. You call people over to buy things with a bell, and they'll either see something they like and ask to buy a certain number, or they won't and they'll just walk away. There isn't any negotiating involved in selling itself, you just press A a certain number of times depending on how many items they want within a (forgiving) amount of time. Occasionally people will ask you questions that you can answer and change your reputation for better or worse. The money you make during the bazaar progresses your bazaar level, and if you make enough money and/or get a high enough reputation you can win prizes the next day.

There are other stalls in the bazaar and you can buy things you usually can't during the week such as animals, upgrades and other seeds. As you increase your bazaar level, new stalls will open up and you can buy new things.

It's all explained in game and pretty straight forward so I wouldn't worry. :)

Finally, the only place I've seen it was at GameStop, but that was also the only place I looked.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Corridor posted:

I dunno if I'm the only one currently playing this or what (8th Winter first year, just picked it up again after a hiatus). But I was wondering if anyone else got this. The cat has lately started running up to my character and meowing while throwing up a [!]. It does this every single time they cross paths. It's fed, I already threw it and poked it with the stethoscope, I let it play with the bell, what does it WANT. Is it just a thing it does once it gets to a certain friendship level? I'm pretty sure it didn't level up recently or anything.

It loves you! :3:

Seriously, I think that's all it means. I'm still playing too, just haven't encountered much to talk about, unless anyone feels like a multiplayer game for jollies one of these days.

I do have one question, though: where the hell do I get spinach and strawberries? Fogu says it's random for the respective shops but I'm near winter of year 3 and I haven't seen them once. Is it literally random per season, cause that sucks.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

ZebTM posted:

I just started Bazaar (first week) and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of...uh, anything to do so far aside from growing turnips. Am I missing something or have I just not been introduced to content yet? Should I just be going to bed two hours after waking up?

Why are you sleeping when you could be swimming? Go dive in those rivers! Have you had the first bazaar yet? You'll be able to get different crops there as well as farm animals, which will give you more to do and more to make money from. The beginning is fairly uneventful, you get more to do as you unlock bazaar levels and such.

Also, why the hell does tomato wine take so long to ferment? I need to make butter and you're taking up all my space! :suicide:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

So, I'm a little insane, and I ended up making a ridiculous addition to the Fugu HM Spreadsheet - profitability checks!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8184495/HM%20GB%20Price%20list%20-%20Modified.xlsx

: ( Way too much work for little to no reward, but it's handy. The upper left contains a search box that will highlight any recipe that uses the word.

Hot drat! Thanks for being insane, this is amazing.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

For all I know, the bazaar might advance even without you ever making the goal, but by simply participating and going to the recap the next day.

I can vouch for this being the case. My bazaar made the first upgrade even though I never met the goal.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I have the sickle, but not the hammer.
As for animals, I have five chickens, one cat, but no bell or anything.

It's been a while since I was in year 1 so don't take my word on this, but I think you might have to buy the brush and/or herding bell, which means you need a cow/sheep. I think you can also buy the skateboard in winter, and that might unlock the hammer too.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

So can I assume that this newest game ya'll are talking about is good? And good for someone who's never played Rune Factory? The whole "farming... with monsters!" sounds fun, but I like Harvest Moon mostly for the farming and adorable animals. There's still plenty of farming and adorable animals to go with the monsters, right? ... or are the monsters adorable, too? I could live with that.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Aladar posted:

I am persuaded. :3:

Keyboard Fox posted:

I maintain that the farming is the best in the whole harvest moon series since everything in general goes faster, you can pick up 9 of a kind of item before having to hit Y to put it in your bag, you can throw into the shipping bin from a distance, the touch screen controls are mostly flawless, etc. Unfortunately for pure farming enthusiasts, though, you need to beat the first dungeon to unlock upgrades; and you need to grind up your crafting skill a LOT to get to the second upgrades onward.

That sounds pretty good, actually. I don't mind the idea of dungeon crawling at all as long as the farming is solid. Thanks!

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

So. I got RF3 and even though I don't really know what the hell is going on, what the hell I'm doing, or why the hell everyone in this town is a goddamn loon, it's pretty fun.

I already kind of love Gaius the hobbiest smithy. (Seriously guys, he doesn't want to be a master metal worker or anything. He just does it for kicks. All day. Until he passes out.)

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Pia's request line is the most :3: thing. "It's SQUEEZING TIME!" I like Pia.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

"I want to drag you out to the wilderness and let the monsters have their way with you! Repeatedly."

drat Sofia, I didn't know you liked me that way. :v:

Edit: By the by, why do people keep walking into my house? They don't give me the things their holding or have new dialog. They just stand there, chillin' in my house. Stop taunting me with your copper, Gaius! :argh:

tudabee fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 23, 2010

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Revol posted:

And why not? The hero barges into everybody's homes at any time, day or night. In a sleepy village where nobody locks the doors, they ended up having to because of the new guy in town.

Because it makes them harder to find when I need to talk to them for a request. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

I wish you could play a girl in RF3. As it is my attempts on Gaius end in failure:

"I like a girl what should I do?"

"Pick me instead!"

"But you're married."

:saddowns:

• Locked thread