Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
What's Rune Factory's dungeon system like in comparison to say Recettear?

I'm considering buying it or Story of Seasons when that comes out in the EU, but the idea of combat in a HM game is something I'm pretty antsy about since I remember Recettear being a great game that was brought down by having to deal with stupid dungeon crawling and crafting instead of actally running a shop, which is the reason I bought it to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay, from the responses in the thread and a bit of Youtubing I'm probably going to dodge RF. If the Dungeon Crawling is that integral then I'd rather buy a game that's a dedicated crawler separate to a game about farming.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay, if it's half off I might dive in on it. I finished Fire Emblem and need my fix of DS games on a commute.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Rune factory, not on sale in the EU. Bullshit.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I just got Story of Season and now I'm Harvesting all the loving Moons, I'm loving how chilled out the pace is at the beginning of the game instead of the goddamn frantic pace of the SNES version and Wonderful Life early on. (Where building a capital base early is super important)

Are there any hilarious rookie traps I need to look out for? I'm already saving iron for a pitchfork and trying to fish up bricks for the seed maker. I elected against saving 5 milk for the immediate horse since Milk was in demand for my entire second week but I'm going for that now.

Secondly, I'm sitting at a rough capital base of about 5k after the first week, is it worth spending that on fertiliser when I can't make new seeds yet or is it the same as basically every Harvest Moon wherein fertiliser is completely useless until you can make seeds?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

dijon du jour posted:

Yup.

In terms of beginner traps I can't think of many except MAKE SURE TO SAVE 5 TURNIP SEEDS FOR AFTER SPRING ENDS. You need them to make the seed maker but there's no sensible way to acquire them outside of spring. I didn't have any when I unlocked the seed maker and had to wait for year 2 for spring to roll around again. :negative:

e: beaten on both fronts. Only other advice is to consider starting a fodder field early on and shipping all the fodder you harvest each day. You need to ship a boatload of various things to unlock some venders much later and fodder counts towards that total.

Oh poo poo you need to ship fodder? I've got like 200 sat in my storage because I planted 3 grass fields on my first day.

I've got the turnips saved so that shouldn't be an issue.

I've read that watering plants twice makes them grow faster, but I've no idea of whether what I'm doing is working since they appear wet at 6 in the evening even after I watered them at 7 in the morning.

How do conquests work? Why should I be saving my harvests for them given I need to make cash on them for my seedmaker? (I guess my real question is should I prioritise seedmaker above saving things until I get it, or save things prior to seedmaker?)

Finally, I have 4 peach trees which I planted (hopefully) in time for them to bloom in Summer, should I be dumping fertiliser on them? Oh and should I water them because they don't seem to react to it?

Too many questions!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 12, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Goddamn, I managed to sell all my disposable ore and get 40k by Spring 15. Bought my seedmaker, had all my bricks and turnip seeds.

And then I realised that I needed 15 lumber and didn't have any. My face.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay so in SoS, once I've grown tomatoes do I need to keep watering them to keep them producing fruit for the rest of the season?

Also how many milk treats does it take for a cow to actually start producing more milk? I've dumped like 25 into Hanako with no results.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Blhue posted:

Yes you do, aside from trees, reharvestables need to be watered even past maturity.

And I forget, but a lot. iirc, the species specific treats give the animals more progress towards increased yields than the generic ones though, if you've just been using those.

Secondary question then, is there any advantage to watering the tomatoes twice a day after they've started producing fruit?

I ask because I've pretty badly overstretched myself in summer 1. I have something like 15 tomatoes growing alongside 5 trees, a patch of soya beans for competition purposes (they take ages to grow and grow all season meaning I can fertilise them a tonne for high crop value) and 18 onions. I basically work myself to complete exhaustion by collecting milk and watering them all once.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So fun fact, in SoS if you engage in multiple "Ship tonnes of product" challenges at once, the game resets the your contribution to the challenge every time one finishes.

So, I engaged in two challenges on Summer 16, one which ended on Summer 19 and the other on Summer 21. I shipped 20k worth of product on Summer 18, winning the Summer 19 challenge.

Thinking I was completely set, I didn't ship anything on Summer 20 and then got told that I'd shipped 0 product on Summer 21 and had embarrassingly lost the challenge. :doh:

Ah well, I was just going to let the fields lie fallow until I started getting stamina regeneration working.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Robot Dog posted:

The game only counts items shipped on the day of the challenge.

Oh poo poo really? Fffffffff.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shinjobi posted:

In my first year of Story of Seasons. Have yet to claim more land than the tutorial root vegetable plot, got a seed maker, unlocked Cabin country. What should be my next focus? The cheese maker blueprint looks expensive, and I don't even know where to get gold, currently.

Also, should I bother with fish hatcheries? Hell, for that matter are all fish better off becoming food for me to stay alive with? Still trying to figure some stuff out with the limited tools I have available.

Okay, I'm really not much farther than you. But you need to get 30 fish from hatcheries to get the oyster on sale that can drop a blue pearl. The blue pearl is needed for the accessory combo that gives you 5 stamina regen every 10 minutes which is probably the highest priority in the game since it removes the major limiting factor on the poo poo you can do each day. In terms of hatcheries, fish up an Octopus or a Squid and put them in the hatchery since they sell for 500 at base quality. Also, from what I've read, after a hatchery gets full, you can empty it up to 3 times until it breaks, at which point it kills all the fish still inside. So hatchery strategy is Dump Octopus in, feed every day, empty when full, leaving one Octopus still there, empty when full, leaving one Octopus still there and then on the third emptying, empty all the Octopii, let the hatchery break and set up a new one to repeat.

And as you get better at fishing the fish become better to sell raw than they are to cook since they're worth 200g+ which is more than grilled fish is worth.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay so I'm trying to win the Autumn fashion festival (with the flower field on the line) and I have a purple striped coat which I'm told should win it handily. But apparently that's not the case for me. Anyone have any advice?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sage Grimm posted:

Consult the FOGU resource on clothing and accessories to see what modifiers match the Fashion's theme, style and colour this season. It looks like you're using the Purple-Checked Jacket?

That's the one, but I tanked the loss which was frustrating because it's going to ruin my bee productivity next year.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sage Grimm posted:

I guess plant more flowers on your own farmland to make up for the lack? It's only 8 spaces. And if this is your first year you might find that you'll have more space than you know what to do with soon enough.

I don't have access to the ones I need yet, I assume you get it when you gain access to the flower field.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sage Grimm posted:

The only flower seed that gets unlocked by Flower field conquest is Sunflowers at Otmars. The bulk of the flowers come from Rose Country.

Oooh, whoops. Well I guess I can stop getting angry about flower fields now. But goddamn I hate that like 120 day lease on the tree field, I have like 3.5* peach seeds, I want to be able to plant them where they'll be most profitable!

Edit: Holy poo poo my flax fields are worth 270k per harvest? Christ on a bike.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 28, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

simonwolf posted:

Thank you for the advice! I saw something about gold/silver mentioned earlier, was that something I need to worry about when I first start?

Not until you start mining. That begins in Fall of Year 1, which is a good 25 hours away or so.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah, the soybean thing is really useful because if you water them twice a day they tend to finish growing by end of season, meaning you always keep ahead of the festival curve.

Also, you really really want to be going hard for shipping $1 million by mid autumn. That unlocks cabin country which is the gate for the accessory combo that gives unlimited stamina.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

hadji murad posted:

What should I be doing with Town Edit in SoS?

There are edit combos that do stuff like improve buying and selling prices as well as improving rep with the townspeople.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I mean I'd play Stardew if it was on DS or something because my tube ride into work is just lost time otherwise. But if I'm at home I have so many better (worse) games to play and so much other stuff to do. (That I'm sadly addicted to)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It scares me that I've sunk like 70 hours into Story of Seasons and still haven't hit Summer 2. It's okay because every day is so goddamn packed, but I do worry that I'll never actually see any of the cool stuff that shows in year 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Corridor posted:

i was disappointed at first that SoS lacks the spectacular mental cases of rune factory, but they do all seem to have this quiet repressed insanity i'm coming to appreciate

i still miss forget-me-not valley though

Licorice shows up in Summer 2. She's the best. That is all.

• Locked thread