Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Is the bell like BTN where you ring it and then the cows lumber slowly in your direction and you still have to spend a long time pushing them into/out of the barn, or does it just like magically warp them into/out of the barn? This may be the deciding factor in whether or not I buy this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Hahaha oh my god the tutorial in A New Beginning. "Walk up and to the right."

Is there anyway to change the text speed or sound effects? They're kind of grating. And what's a good bed time to shoot for?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Where would I find Honeycomb? I need one more and apparently they don't spawn in Summer. Do I need to try my luck in multiplayer?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ahahaha I played the musical notes and unlocked something they called the "Honey tree" and got really excited for like a second until they explained what it actually does. GOOD JOB GAME.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Lareine posted:

Ah yes. "Barn dirt". I don't know why they didn't call it what it actually is.

duz posted:

I'm more interested as to why they translated glossary as picture book.

Natsume.

Speaking of, I found my first weird text glitch when the Harvest Goddess wished me a happy birthday.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ok my forecast has it raining like every other day all week Fall, so it doesn't look like I'll be getting any honey. Can someone hook a brother up with some honey? I've got... eels and turtles and bottles. You kids like/need bottles don't you?

3840-5346-7936

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, apparently you'll need twenty-five bottles total.

Weeks are used for making bushes, which I think you need for town restoration 2.

I usually sell off one of my big fish and keep the rest, just in case. Well, that and most of my big fish have been crabs and the like, and I literally can't cook them because I have no shellfish recipes.

There are some weird design choices in this game. The aforementioned bee/honey thing, the "Give the Blacksmith/Chef these items and they might give you blueprints/recipes" messages and then leaving out that you need to have the Architect moved in/all the recipes from the general store first...

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 13, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Are there any ridiculous requirements for hooking up with the Witch? I know in earlier games there was bullshit like killing off your livestock and basically being a pariah, but what about here? Everything I've found basically says "Check fogu" but I'm pretty wary of clicking that link.

Aphrodite posted:

I just got a cow in A New Beginning. How does the feeding part work? Do I need to fill a specific stall for it, or will it eat as long as there's food in the tray?

It eats as long as there's food in the tray. You can check the Animal Information book in the barn to see if it ate yet or not.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Alright, thanks.

I'm having mixed feelings about the treat system. On one hand, I appreciate that it allows me to get multiple animal products without forcing me to keep a bunch of the same types around, but on the other hand it's yet another thing I have to walk around and do to the animals every day.

My alpaca runs around like a loving lunatic.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

So I got A New Beginning. Do I need friend codes to fool around online?

No, you can join random rooms. Friend codes will definitely help if you're looking to get specific items though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Lareine posted:

When do I get sheep?

Beginning of fall.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cool I just sat through five cutscenes in a row.
"Hey you built the Inn now new people have moved in."
Ok.
"Hey you built the inn and had the restaurant placed down, so a new person moved in."
Ok.
"Hey the inn was the last missing piece of town renovation 3."
Ok.
"Hey I think we should have a bug catching festival next summer, and I'm telling you this even though it's the middle of winter."
O.K.
"Hey we hid some music notes again and they're obviously in the last building you placed down."

:shepicide:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Lareine posted:

The translation is particularly clumsy this time around. I've caught Rebecca calling Toni "Tony" multiple times, Clement used "you're" in place of "your", etc. I have a sneaking suspicion that Natsume doesn't proofread. Shame because they seemed to be getting better at not doing that sort of thing.

Quick question. Does it matter at all what type of field fodder grows on? Fodder doesn't have a quality modifier and it grows pretty drat fast anyway so I was thinking about keeping the gravel fields for that.

Natsume ain't never proofread a day in its entire existence. My favorite ones are the descriptions of the tree seedlings and the description on cotton seeds that say to harvest with a sickle.

I don't think there's a difference with Fodder, so unless you're really spergy and need to have all your fields match you might as well keep the gravel ones around.

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, you can build different kinds of fields eventually?

I was just coming in to ask what determines crop quality, since I tried using fertilizer on one crop every day and still only got 1 star which is the same result as only using it once.

Apparently you'll need to fertilize a crop seven times to get it to 1.5 stars, then six more times to get it to 2 stars, then six more to get to 2.5, and so forth and so on. Here's a spreadsheet I found on Gamefaqs. I'm not completely sure how soil impacts it, but apparently blizzards and typhoons will knock a crop down half a star.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I have a Gold Watering Can now. This is the best possible thing.

I'm also starting to regret my horse purchase. It takes way too long to get up to speed, and every time I leave the farm it goes back in the barn.

Take it with you off the farm. It'll make getting up the mines/Harvest Goddess so much easier.

What's the deal with vacations? The travel agent keeps encouraging me to go on them, but I got veggies and animals I gotta take care of (for reasons I'm not quite clear on myself - I still make most of my money by selling grilled fish).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I agree with you here, I'm not bothering to give treats to my chickens/cows anymore because it's just a pain to deal with treats, especially the huge number of treats you have to feed them to get their production up. I'll probably suck it up and deal with treats for the sheep/alpacas since wool is used in some blueprints and at the tailor.

I dunno, it's pretty easy to remember with Cows (one week of regular treats, the rest of the month with cow treats), and it's worth it for wool-producing animals because you can't get it everyday. I don't think I'll have the patience to get them up to four per harvest (and definitely not five), but I'm definitely shooting for three.

Twelve by Pies posted:

On that subject, I'm not sure why they made Yuri's heart level invisible. That just seems really weird, it's not like she's a secret bachelorette.

I don't get this. Apparently we're supposed to think that Yuri is a boy? Or that people can't tell she's a girl? But I was pretty sure Emma introduced her as her daughter.

Nessa posted:

So, I picked up ANB the other day and am already on Summer 11. Is there anything I should keep in mind?

This is a Natsume game so the translation is pretty bad in places and you should absolutely come here to ask for clarification on anything that' confusing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The Harvest Sprites won't accept my presents. Aaron says his sister will scold him if he does, and Alice says that she doesn't feel like accepting any right now. What does it mean?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I'm glad most of the outfits are stupid looking. It makes not worrying about trying to get all the materials for them a whole lot easier. Although I do want that green chef's outfit and the blue ninja suit.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I really don't like how mining is done in this game, it's pretty bad. I don't see how you're supposed to build stuff like the Inn without savescumming. While there was a bit of that involved in FoMT, at least you knew that you would get certain ores on certain floors, instead of "Oh the game only let me hit this spot once with my hammer and I got a brick, now I have to reload until I get something decent."

It's going to take forever just to get the two Plat I need to get the best hammer so that I can unlock a third spot. And I still don't have the Jade for the farm bell.

Yeah, the mining is bad. On top of daily limits, there's far too many different things you can get/need to get*. Like silver. Why does every other blueprint in the game require silver? The game hates giving me silver.

*This would not be a problem if mining was limited only by your stamina/time/bag size.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Nessa posted:

I didn't realize that I should've saved all my honeycombs from spring, so now I'll have to wait 2 more months to complete part two of town restoration. :( if I'm lucky, I can find 1 or 2 honeycombs a day.

Also, I didn't realize this game is so hard on you. I saved before my first gardening tour and figured it would be fine, but everyone who came said it was awful and the whole thing was a failure. :( I just turned the game off at that point so that I can work on the garden some more and try to salvage it.

You might as well just keep on trucking because the game forces you to compete in three gardening tours anyway for a town restoration plan. Might as well get one of the over with already and prepare for the next ones.

There's a lot of weird choke points like "Do three gardening tours" and "ship ten units of honey" in the game. I'm in Spring of year two and I literally can't finish my current town renovation plan until Fall.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Squidtamer DA posted:

So is there any point to great wool? I'm worried that I just wasted my time upgrading my sheep and that I won't be able to use them at the tailor's to get new clothes. Are wools and great wools interchangeable at all/used for anything?

You need Great Yarn Balls for some of the outfits, but you also need regular Yarn Balls too. So, uh, upgrade one sheep and leave the other with normal product.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Finally got the Speedy Brush blueprint and I was all excited about being able to really start raising the heck outta some livestock, but was sorely, sorely disappointed to see it needs Brown Alpaca Wool. I guess I should get to building more barns.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Blhue posted:

Has anyone tried out the Ultra Hoe/Sickle to see how they work? The watering can is great, but if those two work the same way, I can't see upgrading past gold being practical for them.

I just tested it out:
The Ultra Sickle is apparently ~magical~ and will only cut things you harvest with a sickle if you do the charge up thing. You'll have to use the individual swings if you have unwanted crops you want to cut up (I did not think to test it on Weeds).
The Ultra Hoe seems to work the exact same way, where it'll automatically hoe any unhoed spaces but will otherwise leave your planted crops alone.
They both have the same effect radius as the Ultra Watering Can.

Still, those don't seem nearly as useful as the other Ultra stuff.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It's cool when the red vein gives you scrap metal and small stones.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

If I could put stuff on top of them I would put down dirt roads everywhere to keep the trees from popping up.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I tended to see a greater variety drop from the tree in Winter, but yeah, I have a ton of green down compared to blue/red/yellow.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Nessa posted:

Yo, how do you find other colours of down in this game? Do they just unlock after a certain point? I've gotten 14 green downs and nothing of any other colour and they've all come from the tree.

Oh, um, so it turns out that once you get to Summer of year 2, a character moves in and you can trade stuff for down. You'll need assorted Herbs (at least one star - some grow in the wild and some you'll have to grow yourself) and Honey (at least one star).

e: vv Ooooh, so it only seems more common in winter because it's snowing all the time.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 1, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't tried the Panda, but my horsey goes fast. I probably shouldn't have picked a white one because sometimes it's hard to see him in Winter, but whatever. They don't require much attention, they just need to eat (they live in the barn with your other animals, so you don't even have to go out of your way) and ride them (you can hop on then hop off immediately if you want).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

What I get from that is I should probably just buy a horse for a bit and see if I like it.

I do have another question, though. Currently I'm running nine fields, two fodder and seven of whatever's seasonal. I'm about to rotate in crops for Winter, and also start actually using fertilizer. Should I cut the number of fields I'm doing? It seems to take forever, and a shitload of stamina, to fertilize the fields every day. I'm figuring maybe just one field for fodder, one or two for some herbs, and then maybe just a field or two for seasonal crops for a total of four or five fields. I've also got an orchard of nine trees that are all about fully grown. Can I still fertilize them? Even in Winter? Does fertilizing trees do jack all?

This may be the first Harvest Moon I've actually taken this seriously, but damnit I want to make my little farm the best drat farm.

Fertilizing trees will increase the quality of the fruit. They're pretty much the easiest things to fertilize because you can do it year round.

You don't need to fertilize every crop you're growing. I've found it's easier to just use fertilizer on one crop per field (or per set if you have two separate crops on one field) everyday, and then turn that one into seeds after you harvest it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Well since we're on the topic of trees, do they ever die? Or can you keep trees forever once they're grown?

Also my immersion has been shattered on account of grapes growing on trees.

I don't think they can die, but if they can it would probably take far longer than you'll spend playing this game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm kind of angry about that. With new Fire Emblem right around the corner, that might actually put away the game for me. It doesn't make sense, and there's no indication that's the case until likely way after it's going to cost you a whole lot of time.

And yet I'm still playing because I am actually still enjoying it and don't want to leave my little farm behind. Goddamnit, Harvest Moon. Goddamnit.

It's time to leave your peaceful little farm and head off to war.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I'm gonna be able to take all the vacations to the Ruins I want, now.
Too bad I only need two more Ancient Clay Statues for Her house...

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

Question about treats and livestock--fogu has the numerical breakdown for cows, but I'm wondering what I need to get my sheep and chickens more productive. I'm hoping I understand it correctly, too--once you give an animal x normal treats and y specific treats the number of items produced per "harvest" increase by one?

Sheep/Chickens are 2 Treats, 29 Sheep/Chicken Treats. The other animals all have different breakdowns, and Gamefaqs has you covered, although it also spoils what all is in the game/when/how you unlock them so.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

I wonder if it says more about me or the internet in this day and age that I totally forgot gamefaqs was even a thing.

Apparently they have a wiki now and some of the guides are like, actual pages with links and pictures and stuff instead of text files. Strange times we're living in.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

endolithic posted:

Does the geyser work during winter? Do you need to put your crops on the tiers for it to work? I only just unlocked it a few days into winter 1, so I wonder if it's worth moving my stuff around now or if I should just wait for spring.

Yeah, it only works on the tiers.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

In conclusion, don't grow paddy crops.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp8_BJFfzA4

New trailer for Hometown Story, the game that Harvest Moon creator Yasuhiro Wada is working on.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I disagree that they game felt empty. To me, the renovation plans giving you concrete goals (build X, ship X number of yams or potatoes or whatever, etc) was a welcome addition to the series.

Villagers spending like two hours to eat a single meal is a definite con.

The festivals are pretty "meh." They all take place in the same featureless green box, everyone in town attends every festival and stands in the same spot. They're generally rigged up in such a way that you're pretty much guaranteed to lose your first time through, then totally dominate the following year.

Being able to customize the town is nice, in theory, but the interface is kind of pain and the constant tree growth get super annoying. I also feel like with the way the game map is laid out, there's very little reason to place anything on the west side.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

A couple of new screenshots of the new Harvest Moon:

Finally, you can arrange your house the way you want it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Palleon posted:

I've been playing A New Beginning recently, I'm only up to Fall of my first year, and was wondering if anyone is still playing it (or used to play it) who had a few items they might want to trade with me. Would like to get an amethyst to build the maker shed (I'm still a ways away from getting the mine unlocked), and/or a silkie egg so I can hatch one way before I'd normally unlock it. I don't have a ton of great stuff to trade back but maybe some bottles/cans or something has value to someone?

Sure thing, I can get you both. My friendcode is 3840-5346-7936. I'm pretty much done with the game so I don't need anything in return.
Edit: Wait, I forgot you can do this without friend codes. My farmer is Hunter and my farm is Kudzu.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Palleon posted:

Thanks, I'll get booted up in a few minutes and look for you (not sure how to do the whole online thing but how hard can it be?)

Select multiplayer and "search for room" and look for "Hunter" or "Kudzu." Also it'd help me if you posted your character name/farm name so I'd know when to close the room.

• Locked thread