Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010
For this being one of my favorite series, it's hard for me to get excited about Harvest Moon anymore. You would think they would get better at translating and removing bugs from the game but it seems each game has problems in some fashion.

The latest one I've played is Island of Happiness and though I didn't mind the touch screen controls, having to run around talking to people so they didn't move away was draining and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

naptalan posted:

I'd probably recommend 'Harvest Moon DS Cute'. I felt it was pretty close to FOMT in terms of gameplay and the general feel of the game, although you can't get married until you 'free' 60 Harvest sprites (which can take a few years ingame). Cute also fixes a few horrible bugs with the first HMDS game, although a fixed copy of the game was released if you're intent on playing as a dude.

I have been trying to find "Cute" off and on at used game stores for cheap with no luck. I found a box for it at a Gamestop one time and they slapped the wrong cartridge in there and sold it to me. :argh:

They really just need to re-release HM64 and I would be happy to buy it on virtual console. Most people try to argue that Back to Nature was a superior game, but Harvest Moon is not enjoyable with multiple loading screens.

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010
^^BTN is a good game, but you have to remember that HM games used to be all about cramming as much as possible into each 2 minute 15 seconds of a game day. It has a lot of items and playability compared to the N64 version, but having to dink around with the save system and waiting 10 seconds between each screen of the map takes too long. Or maybe I was just a really impatient kid, haha!

The GBA games were pretty good (Friends/More Friends of Mineral Town) and have a lot of features, the N64 version will be difficult to find and/or expensive but it's my personal favorite, and you can snap up the SNES version on Wii's virtual console for $8.

I haven't played 'HM cute' or 'Sunshine Islands', but the other DS games are pretty clunky, buggy, enraging, etc.

Also, this thread needs more pictures! Here is something dumb I drew a year ago that sums up my feelings about IoH:

and I can't recall where this is from (a LP?), but it makes me smile because it's the truth.

Chu Chu fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 10, 2010

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyPjS17Z00U&feature=related

Here is a gameplay vid of the PSP port HM Boy & Girl/BtN and it looks like they addressed the loading screen issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b3r7ioQGGY

And here is BtN for comparison, check around 1:47 for the loading time to just leave the house.

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010
The Natsume page on facebook says that Rune Factory 3 will be coming to the US in winter, but like the OP stated, there is no set date.

This week's "Nintendo Week" also featured a Grand Bazaar review. They talk about it first in the video you can watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD4RuPlatmg

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Incidentally, the reincarnation of Eve in HM64 was the only one you could abuse a similar evening glitch with.

Oh yeah, the easiest way to woo Karen was to show her your dog a zillion times.

And freeloaders? Pretty sure I posted that nintendo week link a few posts before you, Ka0. :sweatdrop:

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

AG3 posted:

If I remember the SNES Harvest Moon right, you lost some affection with your wife every day you came home to end that day too late (after she had already gone to bed). I'm not sure if it had other ways to lose affection, like forgetting your anniversary, or birthdays, stuff like that.

You can give people weeds to lower your affection I think. In the later games characters just have items they hate in general that will lower your friendship.

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

naptalan posted:

Yeah, it used to be that throwing fish in the sea would make you lose hearts with all the bachelors in More Friends of Mineral Town, and since the rival marriages wouldn't happen if you had too many hearts some people used this as a quick way to get them all down to zero. Littering on the ground has always made you lose hearts with every villager, I think, but that might be different in Grand Bazaar now that items don't disappear when you drop them.

The annoying thing about not littering was that there was only 1 trashcan in the entire span of Mineral Town. I believe if you threw trash in someone's house, only the occupants would be upset with you (for good reason!).

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

LordSloth posted:

I did hear about the fogu thing from here and looked it up. Site doesn't work for me though. Edit: at least for grand bazaar

^^ The Grand Bazaar portion of the site is up last I checked, it's just partially incomplete.

I just had to announce to everyone that tonight I finally found a used copy of HM:Cute at a Gamestop with the original case. Here's hoping to find less glitches than its predecessor!

Chu Chu fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

LordSloth posted:

I have a few questions for wii-ware/virtual console.

I have the original cart and the VC version...but SNES Harvest Moon is a game that I obsessed over as a kid, reading and re-reading the Epic Center and feature articles in Nintendo Power. If I were to rank the games, it would probably hit my third favorite of the series, with More Friends of Mineral Town second and the 64 version taking the top.

I like the simplicity, I have Rune Factory 1 and didn't really get into it. Same thing happened with Island of Happiness. There is only so much micro-managing of different crops, people, and animals I can take.

Probably the biggest disappointment to me of the current games is that I want the characters to have more than 5 canned phrases to say to you at different levels of friendship. It sounds really lame, but I like when the characters tell you background about the town and their lives.

Or maybe I'm not a 9 year old playing a farming/romance sim anymore. :(

e: Grammar...

Chu Chu fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 6, 2010

• Locked thread