Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, I'm behind all you guys; latest game I have is Animal Parade (and sadly I haven't been able to play it recently). However, of all the Harvest Moon games I have played, I think it's the best. Definitely more advanced than the ones I used to play, and while it took some getting used to I like the cast too. Also things like the house decoration and that there is more than one way for your kid to look due to genders and the other parent (when exactly did this start, by the way; I know in A Wonderful Life you always had a son, although that game was more rigid than the others) are pretty nice; that the plot actually guides you through the game pretty well (I didn't need it but it helped some people I know, including my little half-brothers) is also neat, sort of like a less-intrusive tutorial.

Anyway, given that I'm generally pretty satisfied with this, and that I may have some trouble getting more money lately, am I missing out on anything great not getting one of the newer games? My housemates were wanking over Rune Factory 3 a while ago, but my housemates are also idiots so I didn't put much stock in it; it also appears to be pretty popular in this thread, so I may look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I Watson posted:

If you have a DS "Phat", hunt down More Friends of Mineral Town for GBA, otherwise go with Tale of Two Towns. If she doesn't mind action/RPG elements, give her Rune Factory 3.

If you have a Wii, go with Magical Melody for Gamecube or Animal Parade for Wii. I am not sure what to suggest for PSP, perhaps Hero of Leaf Valley since that was the latest release.

Agreeing with the support of Animal Parade; it's by far the best of the console games I've played, excluding possibly HM64. It definitely has a lot of nice things that make the game more fun and easier/less frustrating.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
From what I've read A New Beginning lets you place fields and buildings (you start with your house and a barn, dunno if the barn is movable or not but I would assume so), as well as various decorations you build. Heck, it even goes a step further, as while you work on restoring the village you can apparently place the new buildings too. It sounds pretty great, really, and I'm ordering it soon (hopefully before I miss the chance to get the Anniversary Edition and cow plush).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PlushCow posted:

I always name my first cow Bessie (Or Betsy if I'm limited) in Harvest Moon.

I do the same, actually. Although it's less a tradition and more me being terrible with names; after "Bessie" I generally spend far too long trying to think of a name for any of my animals.

Also, how's A New Beginning? I have it preordered but it's not here yet. Is it good?

Edit: Tangent, I ordered it on the 21, but haven't received an email for it yet. Is this normal?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 25, 2012

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still waiting for Natsume to get back to me here. I ordered the 15th Anniversary Edition on the 21st, then didn't get any emails from them; after some emailing their customer support some stuff, including a copy of my invoice (which included my address it was being shipped to; this will be important soon), I finally got a copy of my order confirmation. Then I also got a notice that my order was canceled. After talking to customer support some more, I learn that it's because my shipping address was a P.O. Box and FedEx won't ship there (not that it stopped them from charging the credit card, though it seems they undid that finally). This was also the 29th now, a week after I had placed the original order and the day, hey, you can't buy the 15th Anniversary Edition anymore. I sent them an email asking if they could reprocess my order with a different address, and got an email saying it'd take them a day or so to work things out and decide what to do.

That was two days ago.

Really, at this point I half want them to just say "hey, you can't get the stuffed cow, sucks to be you" so I can go grab the game in a store for twenty bucks less (ten on the special edition, ten for shipping and handling) already. This is frustrating.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

katkillad2 posted:

Do any of you know what the hell is going on with the gardening tour? At first I thought they wanted me to build a garden in town, but then it made you build that huge concrete area. So I thought maybe I just need to put decorations on it, but everyone hated it. Then I tried to put a garden on top of the concrete and that didn't work... So confused!

Read this.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, in response to my earlier problems with ordering the game, Natsume has come through for me (and presumably other people with the same problem, judging by the way the email was written). Sent me a link that'll be active for a week, allowing me and others who had issues with their order to get the 15th Anniversary Edition, despite it being after the deadline now. Awesome.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Conduit for Sale! posted:

What would you guys say are the best Harvest Moon games of the past generation? I haven't really put any significant time into any HM since FoMT, but I'd like to play a newer one.

Well, out of the ones I've played so far (64, GBC, AWL, and AP), 64 and Animal Parade were the best. A New Beginning also looks good but I haven't got to play it yet; it's arriving either this evening or, despite the two-day shipping I paid for, as late as Tuesday. Even though it's shipping to a location within the same state.

But, yeah. My recommendations are 64, Animal Parade, and if you don't mind taking a slight risk (I've really only heard good about it but it's new and all) A New Beginning.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Revol posted:

Is there a guide to villagers who are strongly suggested to befriend compared to others? For example, with Iroha she gives you blueprints for tool upgrades. And I see on Fogu that if you hit 30,000 with Hana, a fisherman moves into town.

Well, a third is Emma; if you get either 2,000 or 20,000 (not sure which, I've seen both) with her and start on Town Renovation Plan #3, you unlock the tailor's shop blueprints, and thus one of the bachelorettes, early. Other than that, though, yeah, I dunno.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

senae posted:

Also, I got one of the yaks when I picked it up, but the back is torn right open, does natsume have a good reputation for fixing things like that, or should I learn how to sew up a slightly overstuffed plushie?

They worked with me to get me the Anniversary Edition after the deadline due to order problems, so email their customer support and there's a pretty good chance you can work something out.

I'm still waiting on my copy, because FedEx has decided to not do anything today or the day before yesterday (yesterday was Sunday so it not moving then is unsurprising), despite delivering to a place in the same state as the origin and me ordering with two-day shipping. Dangit.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally got my copy in the mail. Plush cow is great and stuff. However, I am wondering; while you should save, well, everything. Does this include the bugs and stuff you can catch, or am I free to ship those for cash? I know bees are used for apiaries, but other than that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Revol posted:

- You get access during Renovation 3. Build the cottage, and welcome the first man to your town who isn't a loving rear end in a top hat.

Out of curiosity, is this (the rear end in a top hat part, I mean) referring to Allen? I read a thing online with some screenshots of things he says, and unless they were fake or something they looked... Pretty bad, to say the least. Like, jeez. Hope no one who didn't already know about that married him, because wow.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm still wondering if Allen's evil is some weird mistranslation or something on Natsume's part, since as people have said it's a bit... Yeah. But, considering the way the events go, maybe it isn't. I don't know, but it's weird as hell and rather creepy.

Personally, I'm playing as a guy so I'll probably try to go for Yuri, but if I were playing as a girl... I dunno, would have to play and see, though any of the four guys who aren't Allen or Rod (apparently he's nice but he looks too childish, and also is Allen's best friend or something) are possible.

Kind of wish Allen's "HORROR" gift were something more common, like milk or something. Still considering going to his house every day, though, with a perfectly-made, five-star pot sticker (his absolute least-favorite thing, apparently) to give to him, just because. Can at least manage it on his birthday every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't play the other HM games around (ToT in particular) it for comparison admittedly, but I liked what I got out of Animal Parade.

• Locked thread