Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON
The fire shrine boss is easily one of the hardest. If I recall correctly, when I beat it I was actually using a hammer. It does a lot of damage per hit and still gives you time to dodge. As mentioned, dual blades are nice for dungeon crawling, but low damage output especially at the front of the combo, and there are a lot of points where it won't let you dodge, which is crucial in this fight. I tend to spend time grinding to get my smithing level as high as I can and make the best items to make things easier.

As for strategy, the best I can say is he's a really technical boss and requires both a lot of precision. At the same time, though, you really have to really go for him and not let up. A lot of his attacks actually don't hit the spot directly in front of him, so if you cram yourself right up in his face he can't do as much to you as he can at range. From there, it's a matter of figuring out when to dodge him, which seemed to me best to do by dodging forward and to the left, going under his pincer and attacking from the side. His first form isn't really so tough once you get the hang of it. However, his enraged mode is really tricky. He attacks so fast, he can literally attack you, then attack again before you've finished dodging, and he can do most of your health in damage with one shot. For his second form, all I can say is to burn him down as fast as you can possibly manage. No finesse, just focus on getting in as much damage as you can, since he can almost decide whether or not he wants you to win at this point.

Taking a few helpers might help, since they can distract him. However, they can also make things more difficult as he becomes a little more unpredictable on who he's going to target. Plus, I had never trained helpers, so they all got smashed within a minute or two, so I just did it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Finally made it through the water temple.... and now the boss is a dick.

I love this game, but I think there's too much disparity between being able to complete the temple, and actually killing the boss.

(I still think a kickboxing gator is rad as hell though)

Yeah, the dungeons are weak. The bosses.... not so much. But iirc, the gator is hundreds of times easier than the crab.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Sometimes I think the amount of things I have thrown on the ground/into lakes/at people in any Harvest Moon/Rune Factory game outnumber the things I've actually sold. So many eggs ended up splattered over the surface of those shipping bins... and most of the time when courting someone I'd just end up pelting them with flowers and assorted baked goods and then running away. :saddowns: Kinda like my real life relationships...

• Locked thread