Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

KariOhki posted:

I've been playing Tale of Two Towns, I've found it very enjoyable for a base Harvest Moon game. Though it seems pretty limited at the start since you can't mine and not all the seeds are sold in the first year. Hand fishing and critter catching is pretty fun, same with the requests and all the recipes. Don't like how time runs inside and how seeds only cover one square. I need to find a copy of FoMT someday...

The requests are a great addition and make TTT the best Harvest Moon game on the DS (and the third best ever, after FoMT and HM64) in my opinion.
I got used to seeds covering only one square by now, but I do miss mining a lot. Days seem to go by slower, so I'm not too bothered with the time passing inside.
I also don't like that you have to travel quite a bit to get to the other town when the tunnel is closed, though it's better than Grand Bazaar which had a tiny map.

The upcoming Harvest Moon for 3DS is looking really good too. I can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The cook-offs wouldn't be so bad if they didn't take forever to judge. I can't wait until the tunnel opens so I never have to participate again!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

^ TTT and especially Rune Factory 3 are pretty heavy on the stories, sadly. If you own a 3DS you might want to keep an eye open for Harvest Moon GBC coming out in the eShop: Natsume announced it a few weeks ago.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 11, 2012

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The story:

quote:

Long ago the towns of Bluebell and Konohana were friendly neighbors, joined together by a tunnel underneath the mountain that separates the towns. Eventually the towns started to disagree with each other on whose town had the best cooking cousine. As the villagers became more obnoxious with each other, the Harvest Goddess became more annoyed with them. One day she finally put her foot down and collapsed the tunnel between the towns, cutting them off from each other. Now the only interaction the towns have with each other is at their cooking festival, where their cooking conflict continues four times per season.

As a new farmer, you are eager to start your new life at one of the towns but a freak travel accident makes you to forget what town you originally were going to live in! Listen to each mayor's story, hear about each town, and then decide where you want to start your new farm life.
You reunite the farms by cooking delicious meals.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

ZanderZ posted:

I might go with Tale of Two Towns, not sure though. Would Tale of Two Towns stand out from Harvest Moon DS? I'm extremely unmotivated to carry on my Harvest Moon DS game, yet I was always willing to continue on my FoMT game.

I felt the same way with HM:DS and also was always willing (and still am) to continue FoMT. I haven't played enough TTT to know whether it will keep me motivated, but since it has a lot of content (check out fogu.com/hm10) I suspect it might keep me interested for quite a while. It's hard to compare HM:TTT with HM:DS since they're very different games.

To get a good idea of what TTT (3DS and DS versions are pretty much identical) and Shepherd's Crossing (you may want to disable annotations) are like you could check out some gameplay vids on Youtube, I suppose.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 12, 2012

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

11wheels posted:

I have a 3ds, which I hear is getting HM GBC "soon". I was almost hoping for a reason to play my Vita more :{

Tale of Two Towns, which is also on 3DS, is pretty drat good.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I had maybe one or two tornadoes in the summer season in RF3 each year. Could they have toned it down in the European version? Actually I'm not even sure I played the European version, it might have been the NA version.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

^ Natsume seems to be getting a little better with this. In TTT the boys and girls you can marry look 15-16. Still too young but at this rate the marriage candidates in future games might look old enough for it to not feel weird.

The White Dragon posted:

Amen to that. Sadly, you bet your rear end they are. Gone are the days of zen platitudes and humanish, if two-dimensional, characters due to cart constraints.

Most of the DS Harvest Moon games weren't so bad, in my opinion. They're a bit more cartoonish than before but nowhere near as bad as Rune Factory. I haven't played any recent console HM games, so I can't really comment on that.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 7, 2012

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Spills the Moon posted:

Also, a real question, to help others wash away the bitter taste of my inane babbling: Are there other dungeons after the winter one in RF3? Or are there really only four?
It's been a while but:
There's the Labyrinth and a some hidden areas in the forest with strong enemies.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Which one of these still has festivals? It looks like a lot of the newer ones don't, so I don't want to make a poor choice.

All of the handheld ones do, as far as I know.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm seriously considering importing a 3DS from the USA so I can play this game. It's ridiculous how long it takes for Harvest Moon games to hit Europe.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Revol posted:

What benefit is there to befriending animals, if this is even possible? I've discovered that the bear loves honey. Okay... so why would I want to keep giving him honey? It does seem like there may be wild animal based item drops. The first time I hammered the tree, I got some kind of animal felt drop.

I don't know about this game, but in TTT the animals would present you with gifts if you became buddies with them.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

So, given that there won't be a EU release of ANB until the sun becomes a lump of coal the size of my forehead and the 3DS has that lovely region locking thing going on, is ToTT worth a buy? I heard there 3DS version is pretty crashtacular.

I've had no trouble with crashes and it's pretty good. That being said, AWL sounds like a much better game and I'm thinking of getting a second hand US 3DS just so I can play this and future Harvest Moon games.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

So I hear Rising Star has no plans to localize ANB in Europe. This is baffling and really sad. I'm seriously considering getting a second hand 3DS from the US just so I can play this drat game.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I didn't realize that Harvest Moon GBC hit the 3DS eStore. Awesome!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Basically don't sell anything except for on the weekends. While it's not the best game in the series, selling things on the bazaar was insanely fun IMO.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Revol posted:

Grand Bazaar is my favorite modern Harvest Moon game. The bazaar gameplay should be standard in every HM game, in some fashion.

I fully agree. The Harvest Moon series is full of experiments that both succeed and fail and I can't wait for the time they combine all the good ones into a single game.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Toriori posted:

and the fact Dirk actually looks childlike just creeps me out.
It's important to remember actual children play this game too. HM romantic interest NPCs and the player characters have always looked quite young (though Dirk a little more than usual) and I've always assumed it's because of the player base being young too.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

HM:TTT is good, but the days take too long unless you go to the mountains every single day which is tedious. It gets better once you get the owl and much better once you open up the tunnel but it takes a while to get there.

Allarion posted:

I always liked Harvest Moon DS despite the bugs. It was like a crazy broken version of Friends of Mineral Town with a ridiculously deep mine. I could be wrong, but the European version of Harvest Moon DS might not be glitchy, though with the con of not being able to link up with FoTM, which isn't that big of a loss. The initial American version was notoriously glitchy, though eventually a fixed version that got rid of nearly all the glitches was released.

The European version is less glitchy than the US version, AFAIK, but still glitchy (in my experience).

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

In Europe we're getting Harvest Moon: A New Beginning on Thursday. I suspect Rune Factory 4 will arrive some time next year :(

That said, this is the perfect time to hear some opinions from US people who played ANB. Was it worth the purchase? How does it hold up against other games in the main series?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Sonata Mused posted:

I think I might be the only person who disliked it. To me, it seemed pretty void of stuff to do. Even after the first month of mandatory tutorial, the game just seemed so empty to me. I felt like it lacked a lot of the charm of the other games. It did, however, have a pretty decent system for farming/tools and whatnot, though.

I think I've been spoiled by the Rune Factory series, though. I'm really excited for 4 after beating RF3 twice.

Interesting. How would you compare it to TTT? I felt about TTT the way you describe feeling about ANB.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Looper posted:

The Bad:
The Eh:
---Hope you don't like the Witch Princess!
-Villagers eat three meals a day. Charming, yes! But you can't interact with them then.
-The weirdass pacing and staggering of unlocks means that the game is kinda designed to be played for a looong time, almost like Animal Crossing.
---So there's no reward for playing super efficiently a la the fabled Party Picture, but there's also no rush.

The Good:
---We do not speak of Gardening Tours.

Thanks a lot for your extensive overview! Could you clarify the points quoted please? I googled 'Party Picture' but got a bunch of pictures of parties.

Edit: I suck at Google apparently. Never mind the Party Picture one.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 17, 2013

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks a lot everyone! It honestly sounds better than most (if not all) of the DS Harvest Moons, if those are the worst negative points Looper could come up with. Can't wait for Thursday when it hits the eStore!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I Watson posted:

Going to play devil's advocate for a sec and point out her and Amir are the bonus candidates for this game, the ones you always have to work hardest at to marry. I am working on Amir right now because god drat the vast majority of the guys are terrible in one way or another. Who at Natsume's localization team thought making Allen mentally abusive was a great idea? Was he that horrible in the original text?
:psyduck:

Yeah, I'm probably going for the Witch Princess since in every HM game I've always gone for the hardest candidate.

Marrying the HM goddess in FoMT was really rewarding.
Edit: Actually it wasn't rewarding at all. She wasn't even home most of the time :(
It was fun to work to that goal, though.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 17, 2013

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

When does A New Beginning get released to the eshop? I was about to buy a tale of two towns but I noticed it gets released today in Europe/Australia on the eshop and it's 3am in London.

I think the eshop is the only place I will get it, as the local game stores don't seem to be stocking it. If it doesn't come out, I'll end up getting Two Towns just to scratch that itch.

It's out in the eShop right now for me (Europe).

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is there a channel specifically for Harvest Moon, or are you guys just using #nintengoons?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm glad I horded everything I could find in the first month. Made it a bit easier on me later on.

I've been looking up other people's farm designs to get some inspiration and really liked this one:

Seems like you'll be quite busy keeping up with that, though.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Fast Track posted:

Is there any way to talk in the multiplayer room or is it just gestures? Only I'm a dumbass who didn't stock up on enough chicken feed. It's Friday and my chickens' feeding squares are now bare. I was going to trade my precious coins for some, but I couldn't quite figure out how to convey 'Gimme chicken feed' with the four gestures available.

Also, why don't chickens get to go to the multiplayer room or Neil's happy pasture place?

You best bet is to find people to trade with. #ANB_Trades on irc.freenode.net works well for me.
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ANB_Trades&uio=d4

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The first two are both pretty good. The third one is interesting, in that the girl character is more oriented towards livestock, where the boy is more oriented towards crops. However, if you play as the girl, and marry the guy, the game ends, where if you play as the boy, and marry the girl, it doesn't.

If someone were to get just one, which one would you recommend?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Zaphiel posted:

So would you recommend Rune Factory 3 for the DS games? What about the Vita? Consoles?

Should I keep at Animal Parade? The frame-rate and camera are killing me......

Must scratch Harvest Moon itch!

RF3 is really good, but Rune Factory is not Harvest Moon. They're similar but for me RF doesn't scratch the HM itch.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Emalde posted:

I haven't actually played a single HM game since the first RF since RF did completely scratch my own personal HM itch and then delivered way more on top of that.

I'm not sure what I actually wanted out of HM in light of that, but RF definitely has all of it and more. :shrug:

Yeah I can see why it would for some. I guess it depends on what exactly attracts you to the series.

Sage Grimm posted:

If you're looking for just one, then I'd suggest going for the third as it has the most content and polish. This was before the period where Harvest Moon did the dance of feature swapping in hopes of hitting the right notes, up to arguably More Friends of Mineral Town on the GBA.

Yeah. FoMT is my favorite Harvest Moon still and I played like 75 to 80% of the series. While it's good to experiment, I wish they'd decide on a solid base and go from there.

At least it seems that they do learn from previous mistakes. Very few mistakes have been made more than once.

Thanks, I think I'll get HM3 to give me something to do on a trip soon.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

HM:DS was cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA1Ps3bh6Ao

Not as good as FoMT but at least you get to kill everyone.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

You know what's more annoying than having to wait until Fall Year 2 to get the loving Foliage Festival? Having an apparently defective cart that can't access the wireless features so I have no choice but to.

Are you sure it's the cart? It could be that your router's firewall is "too good". I had to set up a DMZ for my 3DS' IP just to play video games online.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

sos is coming to loving europe finally!!!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I want to pick RF4 up again. How do I find out what arc I'm in or in between? Pretty sure I finished the first, not sure about the second.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

StrangeAeon posted:

Ohh, good catch! I've been waffling about whether I should pick up RF4, but it seems pretty highly recommended here, and I have enough cash leftover in my nintendo eWallet so may as well.

I remember I picked up Rune Factory 1 or 2, and the voice action was so atrocious I got rid of it immediately. I'm assuming that's not an issue in 4?

I don't remember RF1 and 2 voices, but RF4 voices are very anime and otherwise not very good. They don't bother me though.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Story of Seasons EU release got moved forward to December 31.
Yessssssss

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How is Story of Seasons? It released in Europe a bit over a week ago and I'm thinking of picking it up. I generally really like Harvest Moon, more than Rune Factory even.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

LLSix posted:

SoS heavily rewards trading with other players to get silver/gold to upgrade your gear - especially the hammer since that helps get better ore. Post here when you start needing those because they take years to unlock in game and I'll be happy to trade you any spare ore I still have.

Just got the game and aside from the tedious tutorial I'm really enjoying it so far. I'll take you up on this offer once I get to that point!

I'm playing on seedling mode after reading up on what it changes and definitely don't regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

On seedling mode, stamina really isn't an issue.

• Locked thread