Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Of the main series
- skip Harvest Moon DS, it was good for bringing the series to DS but plagued with some incredibly horrible bugs (game freezing most notably, and a rare number have had their save corrupted) and a memory leak on the original release so it eventually freezes if you play for more than a couple hours
- skip Island of Happiness; touchscreen only was a terrible idea
- go directly to Sunshine Islands, it takes Island of Happiness and refines the control scheme and was my go-to for the longest time
- can't speak directly about Tale of Two Towns or Grand Bazaar but they seem to be worthwhile plays for what they try to add to the formula (greater expansion focus in Two Towns, wheeling and dealing your goods in Grand Bazaar).

For Rune Factory just skip to Rune Factory 3. They're all equally anime but this one refined all the work before to something extremely streamlined and fun. Maybe play Rune Factory first to see how it started out and have a greater appreciation for the changes when you get to the third?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Harvest Moon DS for Girls pretty much cleaned up all the nastier bugs. Not sure if they also got rid of the Sprites fishing in a certain spot in Winter shipping in the maximum amount of money you could hold. That was a fun surprise. Even after buying the Island cottage you still have more money than you know what to do with.

Looking at your TV at 4:44 though was just mean. Too much of a coincidence for it to be a bug.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Trexy posted:

That said, I wouldn't bother trying to plant/grow crops during the summer. It has been a while since I played it last but I remember hurricanes being annoyingly common and pretty darn devastating in RF3.

In fact, ymmv but I found maintaining my farm to be largely unnecessary in RF3. There is plenty of stuff to do between the quest board/fishing/farming monsters for loot & xp. I spent most of the game completely ignoring my field and didn't feel worse off because of it. Don't let this turn you off the game, it's still easily my favorite HM game to date.

Also- buy the twin blade skill 'Gust' ASAP. You will thank me later.

Well, hurricane season isn't too bad if you've fertilized your important crops to the max; that's what determines if it gets carried off by the wind. Otherwise you farm what you need for recipes and spend the majority of your time in the dungeons, making friends, wooing wife, practically everything except actually farming.

Also abuse the multiplayer dungeon once you've finished two or three story dungeons. Time stops in multiplayer and there is no real loss if you do faint so you can just continually do it over and over again. It's not necessary, but it will give you a bit of a leg up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, I wasn't keen on that. Make no mistake, the marriage scene was pretty neat but having the last story dungeon unlock after that climax? gently caress you, game.

Then all that's left is to have your kid and grind for whatever trophies, recipes, knickknacks, stats you're missing. :sigh:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Eruonen posted:

That said, this is the perfect time to hear some opinions from US people who played ANB. Was it worth the purchase? How does it hold up against other games in the main series?

Yeah, you can definitely tell that multiplayer factored heavily in ANB to the detriment of making a satisfactory single player experience. And I have a feeling that since this was the first entry for 3DS they were trying to reach out to an audience that hadn't played Harvest Moon before. It's that month long tutorial bit going over the mechanics like most of them were new, limiting your choices heavily (inventory and storage especially!) so people familiar with the series felt really bored by the progression. And then if I hadn't read other people's experiences with the game here in this thread, finding out that you *want* to hold onto as many items as you can for future use in crafting would have left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

scissorman posted:

Somewhat related, how does A New Beginning compare to Rune Factory 3 in terms of the basic gameplay?
I mean how farming works, the villagers etc.

I'm thinking about picking up one of the Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games for my 3DS - I live in Europe, so RF4 is not an option right now - and would like to know which one you enjoyed the most.

In short, does everything worse. A New Beginning is much slower paced in practically all elements of basic gameplay and gated in odd ways (as seen in Looper's post).

Rune Factory 3 is currently the pinnacle of both parallel series.
Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands topped my list for the DS, though aside from the first Harvest Moon DS (glitchy as hell) and Islands of Happiness (touchscreen controls only) the others have some sort of merit to them.
More Friends of Mineral Town took it for the GBA.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 30, 2013

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm trying to finish up all my quests so I can New Game Plus, but I'm stuck on one in particular: the "Befriend 50 monsters!" one. The thing that's stopping me is gathering enough lumber and stone to upgrade my monster shacks 6 more times... is there a faster way to get that done, short of wasting all my PP to gently caress up my fields with rocks and wood?

Wander around the map to where rocks and stumps naturally spawn? I know there's a couple near and around the entrance to Obsidian Mansion.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Inadequately posted:

-How exactly does the fertilizer bin on the farm work? Does it apply to every field? If you buy one for the season-specific fields, will it apply to those?

Since people here don't seem to know this off-hand, I took the time to research the topic. Here's what I found:

1. It basically helps fields get back to their max HP if they are brought low from being worked. Each block will regain a bit of HP per day.
2. Each 'screen' of field requires 3 counts of fertilizer each for it to work at full effect. This only applies to your home farm; the season fields are completely left to their own devices.
3. Like the other pieces of furniture applicable to farming, it's a universal count.
4. While they specifically say you can use weeds on it, you can also throw in any of the grasses, medical herbs, and antidote herbs in there.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

mull posted:

Does corn only heal soil HP & does it only work on the tile it's planted on?

Bummed about Neverland going bankrupt. Sorry EU friends :(

It works on the four block field that it gets tilled in. All four squares are affected, just like the other forms of fertilization.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

DS only would be Harvest Moon DS: Sunshine Islands, followed closely by Tale of Two Towns. Grand Bazaar has an interesting element with its market and grinding up materials with windmills but they also removed the mine. Island of Happiness is controlled *only* through the touch-screen which is dumb and Harvest Moon DS is rather buggy (you can tell it's their first entry for the handheld).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ditto with Sheep equivalents, although in Crafting recipes instead. Once you get far enough along you can use their wool to create an accessory that discounts any RP use.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Your fields will consume 5 fertilizer per day per field that you have in the main farm. And you can throw more than just weeds in there; antidote and healing herbs are also good choices.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

4 Expansions I believe, giving you a total of 5 fields inside the palace.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

For levelling your soil the best farmable are apple trees, since they increase all five attributes at once per harvest. All the fruit trees are pretty up there for doing this, actually.

NUMBERS from this FAQ:

code:
Name    Overall Speed   Quality Number	Size
Orange	2.5	0.31	0.31	0.31	0.31
Apple	3.13	0.5	0.5	0.5	0.5
Grape	2.81	0.43	0.43	0.43	0.43

Emery 	6.24	3.75	3.75	3.75	3.75
Flower
Only Emery Flower and the Crystal crops come close and they have the downside of taking a long time to grow.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Oh definitely. The basic idea for upgrading is that whatever material you add to the equipment will give the bonus it states. For example Bronze will add +4 DEF. However to prevent you from just stacking materials each duplicate will halve the bonus it gives. For our example two Bronze would only provide +6 DEF in total, while three would give +7.

For advanced crafting, once you hit crafting level of 50 the material's rarity and level gets added to the equipment's totals, which will add bonuses to weapon attack and armour defense. From this guide, the quick reference on material level totals is:
code:
Tiers and Bonuses for Quick Reference (non-cumulative):
Tier 1 | 30LVs | ATK+10, M.ATK+5 | DEF+6, M.DEF +5
Tier 2 | 60LVs | ATK+25, M.ATK+10 | DEF+15, M.DEF +12
Tier 3 | 90LVs | ATK+70, M.ATK+40 | DEF+36, M.DEF +28
Tier 4 | 120LVs | ATK+200, M.ATK+180 | DEF+180, M.DEF +170
Tier 5 | 150LVs | ATK+700, M.ATK+650 | DEF+350, M.DEF +350
And rarity operates similarly, except that the cap is 200 and the tiers are every 25 points. No idea what the bonus you gain per tier. Consult this FAQ for finding out each material's rarity.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Well Rare Can supposedly increases the item drop rate, which doesn't affect fishing, only fighting with the rod. And from a quick look around no one has confirmed if what the NPC says is true.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Patware posted:

I put ten Squid on a rod for Squid Festival and it didn't seem to appreciably increase my Squid haul.

The NPC states that reinforcing your rod with fish makes it easier to catch those specifically, not that it makes them easier to find in ponds. Not that having more time to catch them is really useful after you've got the best rod.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If I made, like... a Broadsword with a level 10 iron vs a level 1 iron, would that have any effect? I think ingredient levels affect the quality of recipes, but I'm not sure how it works with Forging.

Only that it would provide 10 levels to the item's total rather than just 1 for the purposes of +50 Weapon/Equipment crafting.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Recipes gained are random, but for weapon bread your weapon levels also determine what recipes are currently available to you. I haven't confirmed this but you'll get crafting recipes for levels twice that of your weapon skills.

Farming bread comes in tiers at crafting level 5, 15, 30, 45, and 80 and provide only tools. You'll also need farming skill similar to weapon crafting.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

You might just wanna look up on a wiki and do recipes you want blind. Usually you can do recipes ten above your level, though early game your limited to your total RP cap, which is rather low.

If you do it blind you don't need levels in the relevant skill, which is helpful for outfitting townies.

There's a bit of an RP penalty doing them blind, if my efforts in making pineapple juice without the cooking+ bread are a good example. I've got the same cooking level as the recipe itself and it still requires a good 1k+ more than my RP maximum.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Field Dungeons and Rune Prana apparently can have any sort of weapon/armour drop from the treasure chests so it's more a matter of just keep doing them over and over until you get something nice. I'm not certain the Search skill significantly raises the chances of that happening, judging by how little impact four leaf clovers have on monster drop rate.

As for Pineapple juice, I ended up finding one in Rune Prana and gave Meg that for the quest. There are definitely some really stupid gates in that system considering the next two that unlock I had already achieved.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's one of the better DS Harvest Moon games. But Allarion's right for two reasons, the first being if you're following the main plot: in order to complete it you have to collect 100 Sun Stones. 55 of them involve gift giving and making the townspeople happy, 5 come from a 5% chance to receive when you use the boat to go to the islands, 8 will occur *much* later when you finally acquire the money and materials for the maker barn and the machines. The rest are either from exploration or by playing the game normally.

The second is they added a layer of complication to farming, which I didn't mind when I was playing the game daily. Crops now need a certain minimum of sun and water before moving to the next stage of growth and each crop has different requirements. They also have a maximum at each growth stage that they can sustain before wilting. Couple this with the weather being a little more variable (fully sunny provides 2 sun units, cloudy is only 1, for example) and you have to be a little aware with the more sensitive crops.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Jenner posted:

I just really liked the more fleshed out characters, it's what I like about games. So the more toned down characters in 4 kinda disappointed me, it's a great game though.

Man, I'm really craving a good Harvest Moon game and I am indecisive. I'd prefer one on the DS but Bazaar wasn't my thing and Sunshine sounds like too much work... :qq:

Get (More) Friends of Mineral Town then. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Then you find out the hard way that bosses tend to have high crit resistance so doing something like that is only going to carry you so far. You're better off doing plant dungeons or quick Sharance runs in hopes of a chest giving you an amazing weapon and working your way up from there. Really tedious, especially when you're still waiting on "Memories" to trigger. :argh:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Oh no, I agree, I went with the wet boots and axes when I didn't have an 80+ weapon. It was a struggle to get through 1-3 enemies each screen (I teleported when it was crowded or had nasty ranged enemies) but the times I could win meant I was gaining levels to make the next fight slightly easier. And then I could progress another screen in which could be the treasure room, raising the chances of eventually getting an equipment upgrade.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, they're incredibly rare.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Tale of Two Towns feels like a prototype A New Beginning. I just started it a couple days ago due to it being somewhat discounted and this hand-holdy time-locked feature set is definitely not making me happy. I understand why it's handing out the ingredients and telling you exactly what to make to win the first few cooking contests (so you can unlock more features on a time-oriented basis). However they should have taken a good hard look at the reasoning behind it, realize that was a dumb idea and come at it from a "accelerate progress if user is not completely new at this game" perspective.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Oh yeah, you're just halfway through the first third of the plot. You still have a ways to go. Craft near the level that you're at currently to make the most gains, but eventually you'll have to resort to slapping Iron/Copper onto weapons/armour as upgrades because the higher level crafts require some rather rare resources.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Do you want farming with ACTION RPG elements? Go play a Rune Factory, either 3 or 4.

Do you want fairly uncomplicated introduction on a previous generation of handheld? More Friends of Mineral Town on the GBA.

Do you want your introduction on the DS that's sort of hampered by more complex planting regimens? Sunshine Islands.

Don't mind hand-holding to a ridiculous degree? A New Beginning on the 3DS.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

CrusherEAGLE posted:

You don't recommend 64?

I never got around to emulating it past seeing if it could be done so I can't speak from experience. Between all of us we've got each console represented now!

Also never got Grand Bazaar to see if I like its gimmick. Had the chance, then decided to purchase Tale of Two Towns instead. :sigh:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

But how do I know which gifts to give you!? I'm lost unless it's hammered into me that you love bamboo, live in a bamboo grove and dress up like a panda!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

That sounds like an rune factory character.
Just saying, we need more characters like crazy panda man.

(Tale of Two Towns)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And being base items for upgrade purposes, so you can grind out your smithing skill later on.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Apparently it's more of a casual sort of game that tries to combine all those successful genres into one (PLUS ZOMBIES), but it doesn't have the content to prop it up for any one of them past several hours.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Make your fields capped at 255 HP in advance by hoeing corn, four leaf clovers, and/or dead weeds into each plot. Still won't prevent all loss but it will not wipe everything out. There's also the Prince[ss] Order's eventually that can prevent an potential hurricane from occurring the next day. The best way of checking when that's happening is if the option to call in a hurricane is missing in your Order's list.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Judging from comments made here, Lost Valley seems to be holding up the proud tradition of 'two steps forward, two steps back, two steps laterally.' If it can do that, I think it can bear the name of Harvest Moon, gently caress the drama.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 6, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Well, reliable access. You can get some rare stuff by running Sharance Maze which you will have access to at the end of the second arc, but it's more of a crap shoot since you're relying on treasure chests and maybe the bosses.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Using a same material in the item you're upgrading halves its benefit for each subsequent use. So if you use something that provides +8 to a stat, the second will only provide +4, and the third +2. If you attempt a craft that costs more than your max RP, you will always fail. Upgrading and crafting penalizes you heavily if you attempt to craft/upgrade something with a level greater than your crafting level. You gain a benefit once your crafting level is greater and the RP requirements are reduced. Beyond that, Elfface is correct.

Crafting can get really ridiculous to its hidden mechanics, including something that only kicks in when you have at least 50 levels in Forging/Crafting. I wouldn't worry about that too much until you finish the second arc and then consult this.

^ Have you started the third arc yet? Because that comes into play once you view the event "Memories" which is part of the random town events after Act II and Ventuswill's perch had been inspected enough times.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 27, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

HM games have been typically two steps forward, two steps back, two steps laterally with each rendition of the title. I'm quite happy they're trying new things but they definitely need some oversight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Bring silence treatment with you, I guess? By the sounds of things you've got the damage to deal with the enemy just fine and are relying on magical healing to keep you and your monster topped up. A couple stacks of Roundoff should be enough for a run.

• Locked thread