Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the thing about innocent life is that it's supposed to be exploration-focused, but it takes a week before you can actually go outside of the farming area for some reason, so it's pretty easy to get bored and drop it long before the game opens up

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i actually really don't like friends of mineral town at all, i just can't get into it. animal parade isn't bad, but it takes so loving long to actually let you into the core game that i can totally understand dropping it. i think harvest moon 64 is totally the best if you want a pure, simple harvest moon game. beyond that, magical melody is actually pretty good and serves as kind of an in-between for 64 and the later console entries. i have a real soft spot for a wonderful life, but it's the sloooooooowest harvest moon game ever, and that's kind of the whole point of it.

i haven't played rune factory 4 but rune factory 3 is fun and addicting as poo poo and handles the regular harvest moon aspects really well while also having a really good, simple action rpg side, and i imagine rf4 is pretty much the same thing. rune factory 1 kinda sucks though, it feels really slow and boring. rune factory frontier is alright, but its whole runey system can pretty much ruin the game if you don't just use cheat codes to remove it entirely.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gibbo posted:

They're like the same game except for not having free upgrades?

(The following is not sarcasm) What about FoMT puts you off? HM64 was my favourite game for a long time and Mineral Town felt like a great followup, with the added benefit of being portable. It didn't add too much dumb poo poo (although I can understand being annoyed with having to micromanage the gnomes)

i'm not really sure exactly what puts me off, but while harvest moon 64 has pretty much always grabbed me, with friends of mineral town i stuck with it until the end of spring and i felt more frustrated playing it then i felt satisfied.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Allarion posted:

How often did you mine? The big profit-maker and road to upgrades in that game generally revolved around you mastering mining, and being able to manage your stamina falling down holes in the mine. I fished a lot in that game too, and bought a basket so I can bring it everywhere with me for mining and fishing.

i mined a ton, but was there some trick to it i just didn't get? it seemed like digging up stairs was just random. i never got to fish, because i kinda never entered the one house where the event that gives you the fishing rod occurs more than once out of not knowing it was the place where that event triggered, and the one time i did a completely different event triggered.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Austen Tassletine posted:

Is there a harvest moon that doesn't necessarily take an age to get a decent way onto it? I picked up tale of two towns over Christmas and it has basically consumed all my gaming time over the past month. Although I've enjoyed it, I'm still only towards the end of the second year and am reaching the burnt out stage. I know that these games are the definition of a time sink, but at this rate I am certainly going to run out of steam before seeing a fair chunk of it.

harvest moon 64 and the rune factory games, though mostly 3, i dunno about 4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no, personally, i have no faith in the people who make games i like to make a video game that i like

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Last HM game I played was Rune Factory 4. I hear that if I want to keep playing (good) HM games, I don't want to be buying games with Harvest Moon in the title? It's Story of Seasons now, and the HM brand has been usurped into some Minecraft clone garbage?

the company that previously released harvest moon in the us is no longer doing business with the developers, but they still own the license for the harvest moon series, which is technically seen as separate from the japanese license. the series proper is owned by marvelous aql, a branch of which called xseed also handled localization for the last few rune factory games. since marvelous has started handling western releases themselves, but they don't own the license previously used for western releases, they've started calling it story of seasons instead.

basically, marvelous good, natsume bad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Thor-Stryker posted:

Come to Stardew Valley my friends, its the Harvest Moon game you wanted and actually need. And because it's by an indie dev, the characters are older and can make sexual innuendos without the FBI putting you on a tracker list.

The Dev even fixes bugs and plans to have multi-player.

okay, but i'm not sure what the things in the second sentence have to do with each other, or anything in harvest moon really

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

dijon du jour posted:

Which is still better than the characters in Harvest Moon, which are technically theoretical and can only be detected by their effects on characters in nearby books.

don't talk that way about my friend gotz

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually one thing i really like about harvest moon 64 is that it has a cute and surprisingly interesting cast of characters who all head out to the bar at night to drink and talk about their depression and if you befriend them you can help them with the issues they're having and they'll joyously ask you to share a drink and celebrate life with them. harvest moon characters are very cool and fun in general, even when their dialog is translated badly

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Thor-Stryker posted:

Just, you know, HM games having characters that look/act like they're 12-14 that you're trying to woo and marry.

Stardew just forwards this a few years to help lessen the pedophilia. Unless your into that kind of stuff. . . then maybe this game isn't for you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

look at the guy's rap sheet

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Met posted:

No one here thinks the game is bad. Just the fans that defend romancing characters that were designed to look 12 years old.

marlin is not a twelve-year-old boy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
harvest moon 64 is one of my favorite harvest moon games so i'm okay with every townsperson secretly having horrible depression, but only if i can help them overcome their issues with the power of giving free grapes to the bartender every night (except sundays)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

mrpwase posted:

I played HM:BTN when I was a kid

Then I saw Stardew Valley, which is:

a) a good Harvest Moon game
b) on PC
c) not anime as gently caress

This explains its popularity, hth

i'm sorry anime as gently caress killed your family

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Linnaeus posted:

Might want to just skip to 3 dude, 1 and 2 are not very good games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TurnipFritter posted:

If you don't play them all in order you'll miss out on a lot of context for the story.

idk about rune factory 4 but rune factory 3 is barely even connected to the story at all

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think 2 might do some weird experimenting with the mechanics, but rune factory 1 is just kind of boring and lovely

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
natsume did publish tides of destiny and rune factory 2, but marvelous should have the rights to rune factory 3, 4 and frontier, yeah

you can tell rune factory 3 was xseed because it has the best localization

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

dokopun posted:

Natsume published Rune Factory 3 too.

ack!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

readingatwork posted:

I'm fine with the sprites. I'd pay real money for a mod that fixes the awful character portraits though.

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/mod-portraits-like-anime-style.107707/

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm glad the existence of a non-anime farming game means we can finally have more arguments about the existence of anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i married raven in rf3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gibbo posted:

Go jump in a river in real life

i don't agree

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gibbo posted:

And yet somehow Japanese birthrates continue to plummet. It's almost like their weird archaic choices aren't panning out in the long run. :rolleye:

my friend i think you are in the wrong thread for this

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Knorth posted:

:shittypop: holy crap, what happened to that guy

his hair slowly began to devour more and more of his head

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gibbo posted:

For gently caress sakes can you please post better.

are you really in any position to say this to anyone else in this thread

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

this is a cool article

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that whole part of ds cute getting removed by natsume was a loving garbage move imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TurnipFritter posted:

No see that wasn't two women getting married, it was just a couple of gal pals having a friendship ceremony, moving in together and raising a baby together. As gal pals do.

you're not married, obviously you are just cousins

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
harvest moon/story of seasons has been pretty chill in recent history afaik so i think it would be weird if they actually made those kinds of characters super heavy stereotypes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Remember when getting married as a girl ended the game entirely?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TurnipFritter posted:

How can you get this mad about a post in a thread about farming games

by being gibbo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gibbo posted:

If that's mad then I dunno what to say to you folks.

I was simply answering a stupid question.

you're the most passive aggressive and generally angry person i have ever seen talk about games about growing turnips

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
harvest moon, a series infamous for insulting the player's gamer skill

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
harvest moon can still be pretty goofy, but a lot of it is replaced with even greater amounts of chill

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
without having played sos, given xseed's typical translation work, i'd be surprised if that kind of stuff about the characters wasn't intentional

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it was a bad post but lol at you flipping out over people who don't take posting in the anime game farming thread seriously, or like the character interaction in harvest moon more than the farming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sorry but we don't have any disgruntled japanese fantasy farming game designers for you to hire

• Locked thread