Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny is on sale. I loved RF4. Should I bother?

I loved this game. Get it. However, people are correct when they say that farming is less involved so go in prepared for that and you won't be disappointed. I enjoyed the villagers quite a bit but that comes down to preference I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

TurnipFritter posted:

So what are we hoping to see in the Next Anime Farming Game?

Rune Factory 5 with everything that the previous posters mentioned plus I want a home console release for the Wii U/PS4. That or if handheld is an absolute "MUST" then please port the game to PC and release it on Steam.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Smoking Crow posted:

These style of games don't lend themselves to console releases. First of all, you'd have to develop for hd, and Marvelous doesn't have that kind of money. A slow rear end game on console isn't as welcome anymore as it used to be. You need that pick up and play element for it to work. Harvest Moon isn't what it used to be. Just take your dumb anime farming game on 3DS

RF Frontier, Tides of Destiny, and HM Tree of Tranquility were awesome. That plus many past titles in these series had console releases over the years.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Smoking Crow posted:

But how well did they sell?

I looked some of the titles up on vgchartz, but I am not sure how reliable these figures are. If someone is aware of more reliable sources then please feel free to provide additional data.

HM Tree of Tranquility (Wii) moved 0.82 million
HM Animal Parade (Wii) moved 0.73 million
HM A New Beginning (3DS) moved 0.78 million

RF Frontier (Wii) moved 0.36 million
RF Tides of Destiny (Wii and PS3 combined) moved 0.39 million
RF 4 (3DS) moved 0.43 million

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 5, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

Isn't VGChartz that site that makes up their numbers?

No idea. Where should I go for this info?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

I did do a literal :stonk: when I met Gerard and Kelsey. I mean I know I'm not going to discover Gerard is actually a pedophile, but what the hell, Japan?

He is a just acts like a very flamboyant anime who decided to take in some foster children and raise them. Not sure how that alone gets linked with something as terrible as pedophilia.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sage Grimm posted:

What I want back in HM is some form of automation. Harvest Moon DS had the harvest sprites come and help water/harvest your vast fields of yams but subsequent releases either shackled their use or done away with them entirely. Sometimes I don't want to perform the same actions over and over again. Sometimes I want unpaid unskilled ~magical~ labour do the work for me. :colbert:

I enjoyed how Rune Factory Frontier handled this. Raising the farm animals was it's own progression system where the more friendly you became with them the more work that they were willing to do for you daily. That plus different animals were only capable of doing specific jobs. At the same time though, Rune Factory adds in dungeon crawling as a key activity that you spend your time doing. Unless the HM game had more for me to do then I am not so sure that I would want to automate farming much.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 6, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The work the monsters did in the fields was fast and quite plentiful once you get them up to a certain level which I don't believe was all that high before I really felt like they could do it well. You are correct about the shipping bin issue as well as the dungeon plots though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Does anyone have opinions to share about Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon for the PS2? I never played it and I was thinking about giving it a try. I am curious to hear about its strong points, weak points, and how it compares to the main Harvest Moon and Rune Factory series.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Looks really fun

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Colonel posted:

the thing about innocent life is that it's supposed to be exploration-focused, but it takes a week before you can actually go outside of the farming area for some reason, so it's pretty easy to get bored and drop it long before the game opens up

Good to know.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

As a general rule, the console Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games are either saddled with gimmicks that make them weird or unfun, or are just bad.

I really enjoyed Tree of Tranquility, RF Frontier, and RF Tides of Destiny. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

This is why video game opinions are worth so little. I did not enjoy Animal Parade and quit mid way, but I have replayed Tree of Tranquility with lots of satisfaction several times.

• Locked thread