Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Has anyone seen the E3 booklet for Rune Factory 3?

I've played many of the HM/RF games, but I think the original is the only one I've ever beaten, probably on my first play-through too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Kin posted:

I used to be inot the harvest moon games back in the SNES/GBA era, then i got bored with the monotony of it.

Te only thing i've ever wanted the HM games to have is hireable staff to do all of the lovely work for you, or at least the option to hire staff (you could still do all the farming if you hate yourself).

I'm quite happy to start up the business, tending to my animals and fields and poo poo at the beginning, but let me hire some staff and then expand so i don't have to do all the lovely backbreaking stuff like picking and planting veg over and over and over again.

At least one of the games sorta had this, I think. You could hire out little elves to help you. I'm thinking it might have been a Rune Factory game, or one of the later HM games. I forget if it went to the extent you're asking for, too.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Isn't there another Rune Factory game coming to the Wii? I thought I had heard something about it, but now I'm not finding any information.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The problem with the HM/FM formula was that you'd generally just become fatigued with the game. That, and I always felt like you would end up fighting the systems of the game itself, especially with stamina.

It's like a treadmill that gets faster and faster, and eventually, I can't keep up. But I always come back for more, hoping I'll find a treadmill that I can handle the entire run for.

Edit: BLEH. I can't decided if I should wait for the new HM to come out, or play RF2 now. I'm bored right now, but I don't want to get into a game and then just set it aside in a week or two.

Revol fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 16, 2010

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Holy poo poo, I had never played Rune Factory 2! I started playing it again today expecting me to recognize everything, when I realized I must have only played it the first time for like, five minutes, and then given up for some reason. I wonder how that happened?

Anybody got tips on starting out in RF2? What's the best weapon type? Who's easy to marry? What monsters do I want to get first? What does RF2 do different from RF1 and RF:F that I should know?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

The Joe Man posted:

my method is to always go for the one with the biggest boobs

That would be the fortune teller, but I don't wanna get with that godless heathen gypsy.

My method is to usually bag the redhead, because that's my thing, but this one is a half-Elf who's gift items are all precious gems. And she's a servant, and continues to be one after I marry her.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm thinking I should just get with Mana, because she's sorta given me a purpose in life, so I may as well pay her back by impregnating her with my seed. Plus, she's a real daddy's girl, so that must equate to fun in the sack. Best of all, her gifts are the easiest, being Pink Turnips.

Then again, Julia likes carrots, and perhaps marrying her means discounts for the spa house? I'm gonna have to look into that. (Ugh, but her birthday gift is in a few days, and 4000+G.)

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I know who you're talking about, and I'm going for her too :pervert:

How exactly does she continue to be a servant if you marry her?

I read online that she continues to work in the mansion after you're married.

Julet Esqu posted:

If this is the HM I'm thinking of, then marry the rich chick. Then you get to be in-laws with Max. :3:

Where's the benefit in that? I don't want to have to be reminded the guy's name every day.

Plus, her gifts seem hard to get, and I'd have to abuse an exploit to make it worthwhile.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Ka0 posted:

Bunch of freeloaders in this thread.

Huh?

oldskool posted:

I could never get into the SNES version. Half the fun is chasing a girlfriend and when you've got unlimited time & unlimited respawning items it's just a mindless grind running back and forth until she loves you.

Played the hell out of N64 & FOMT though. Played A Wonderful Life...couldn't get into it. Camera messed me up, I ended up playing just to get the endings and did virtually no farming.

It's already been said once in this thread, but what sets the SNES version ahead of all the others is this charm that has never been recreated before. It's the art, the music, the characters.. they just got all that right the very first time. The latter games all helped upgrade the gameplay, but the charm was never quite right.

N64 was a close second on the charm, but it was essentially a 3D SNES game in many regards there.

I don't think I ever really played FOMT, so I can't comment on that.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm around the 3rd of Summer on RF2, and I'm getting loving bored already. I cannot understand why they lock off so much of the game until you have your child. I can barely go anywhere in the seasonal areas, I can't craft, I can't cook. All I can do is farm, which seems to net me money easier than I would have expected. I can fight monsters, but I see no reason for me to just fight them. I can tame them, but I don't really feel the need for help on my farm. And I can go after the ladies, but.. eh.. it's all just boring.

Rune Factory: Frontier, on the other hand, stayed interesting for quite a while. I had reasons to go to the seasonal areas, to upgrade my equipment, for one.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Fishylungs posted:

I kind of wish I could just marry Ann, she was always my go-to wife. Popourri once, but that sucked.

Only guys who are lying to themselves about their sexuality would marry Popourri. It's time to come out of the closet, Fishylungs.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

naptalan posted:

What does it mean if you are a girl and marry Popuri? :ohdear:

Popuri means you're a full-on hard-core lesbian. You are butch, but you like a really feminine partner.

Karen is the opposite; you are the Portia de Rossi to her Ellen Degeneres.

Mary means the two of you are more just experimenting. You aren't sure what you are concerning your sexuality. I would want to see pictures.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying Bazaar. I still do wish there was a fast forward option, but I started listening to my podcasts while playing, so that's something.

I found a few guides and such that give some good information:

http://harvestmoon.neoseeker.com/wiki/Harvest_Moon:_Grand_Bazaar - basic gift giving guide, good recipe guide

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/111/1116041p1.html - lots of general info

Here's some tips and such that I've found:

- You can water crops twice a day! Wooaaah! Your watered crops will start going dry again about 10 hours after you water them. The IGN guide says twice daily watering increases crop quality. I have my doubts. I just grew potatoes, and I watered them twice AND gave them fertilizers every single day. In the end, I got one and a half star crops, instead of half star. I would have expected a little higher quality there.

- Speaking of, fertilize your crops! I don't understand how much it helps, but in the mean time, I'll just continue doing what I did with my last potato crop.

- When starting out, you can supplement your sales with flowers, they give a decent enough price. Insects aren't worth poo poo, though.

Huh. Thought I had more to say.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Fertilizer making seems to only be useful for making high ranking dishes. One combination of weed and branch makes one fertilizer, which is only good for one square.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
My biggest complaint so far is getting the cow back inside the barn. It seems if you push it in the barn's direction at night, it'll go inside on its own. But if you don't stay up long enough, then it will want to stay outside, and it gets very hard to push into the barn. Hell, I'm worried that means it hasn't eaten enough.

I'm gonna hold off on cow purchases until I can afford three more. Then I'll just buy them all up then, and then I'll be able to buy a dog. I read the dog herds cattle and sheep.. hopefully that includes bringing them inside?

Maerlyn posted:

Unequip any tools you may have, and press B when you are next to one. If it flies, you have to jump to catch it.

You don't always have to jump, sometimes they'll be so low to the ground that you can pick them up without jumping.

Apocadall posted:

Hard to pick a girl to marry, probably either blue haired bitch or the longed haired city girl.

Yeah, I'm picking the latter, Freya. She's a bit easy to play for because butterflies are a +150 FP gift for her, and then once you get good enough to make Superb Cheese, you'll have a +500 FP gift ready.

And it helps that her name is the name of a heavy metal song and of the Norse goddess of "love, beauty, fertility, gold, seiğr (witchcraft), war, and death". Finally, she has no relatives in town, meaning nobody else needed to befriend to hitch her.

The blue-haired girl is a prissy bitch, the blonde is a lowly servant, and the Japanese girl sounds incredibly hard. The only other option is the red-headed girl.. while she's boring, her +800 FP gift is Herb Salad, which I believe is very easy to make, and then all of her +500 FP gifts are pickled anythings.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Another stupid question: how do I prepare tea? It's the tea festival and doing anything with tea in the kitchen isn't working.

First, you need to ferment it in the first windmill. This gives you a product of tea in a can. Then, you cook it in your kitchen, which gives you the final cooked product.

There is no prerequisite tools you need to cook tea, or at least not the basic green tea that you get before the tea festival.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm on the 12th of summer now.

Hint: Some crops may be more profitable, at least in the beginning, because they can be cooked so easily. For example, a one star onion will sell for 330G at the bazaar. But you can make an onion salad using just an onion and no tools, and it will sell for 440G. Very easy way to make a bonus profit.

I made the mistake, though, of planting three peach trees before I expanded my farm. Those trees take up a three by three square; so now I only have three more three by three plots for crops. I just lost half of my earning potential. It'll cost me 30,000G to expand my farm for more plots, while it'll take another year for the trees to start making me money. (It takes two months to grow, and it bears fruit in the summer. I planted it in the summer.)

When you get the chance, you should probably buy tree seeds right when they're available, since the girl only sells them at certain seasons. You don't have to plant them right away, though. Plan it according to when they'll bear fruit, and when you might have more room to spare.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I don't see fish being worthwhile, at least for selling. They only sell between 100-200G, and it's pretty time consuming.

Bugs are even worse. They only are good for two things; completing the challenge of collecting them all (I already 'leveled up' in bug collecting once), and as gifts two people who like them (again, +150 FP to Freya for butterflies).

Flowers and herbs seem okay, at least in the beginning of the game. They're quick enough to get, and sometimes they're in the middle of one task to the next (going from the farm to town), and again, they might be a decent gift. Plus, herbs can make some dishes.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

endolithic posted:

Has anyone figured out how to train the kitty? Mine brings a single chicken in/out every day except rainy days regardless of what I do, but its training stars don't seem to be going up. The game mentioned the bell, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

I think the bell is for herding the animals yourself. No clue about training pets, though.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Hint: Not every instance of turning a base item into another will net you a profit. I believe you might actually lose money in the bazaar turning milk into cheese. While my milk was 230G, the cheese was 200G.

Corridor posted:

Hahahaha "the Japanese girl sounds incredibly hard", you have never played a HM game before have you. :haw:

Oh, I know! But it's still too much for me.

Revol fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 29, 2010

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
From the FOGU forums:

A good fishing spot is the one in front of the cafe... most fish there can be cooked and sold for more money.

Also, you have a chance of a fishing pole to reach further than it should be (meaning, higher quality fish) on very windy days. One forum poster made almost 8000 thanks to a stormy day.

Supposedly, the following things will GIVE you stamina (they only work once a day):

* Fill your watering can (I can vouch for this one)
* Look at the vase full of flowers
* Bounce on a barrel
* Bounce on a cow repeatedly
* Catch a new type of bug
* Throw an item perfectly into the basket
* First item found in the river
* Catch a new record length fish
* Pick up one of your chickens

And another hint from me: perhaps you should buy a cow sooner than later! I think I got my Bessie around the third or fourth week of Spring. By the time the Cow Festival came around, Bessie was fully grown and had three hearts. She won the festival, which netted me a Mithril rock and a bonus of five more friendship hearts! I got a huge boost in milk quality out of her now.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Cows never showed up for me until summer, I guess the RNG screwed me over. I shouldn't feel too bad, in the second week of the first spring I randomly decided to jump into the river to see what that would do and found a chunk of gold that I sold for 8000G. A million jumps later and the best I got was ore rock with copper.

ahahahahahaha

So, I'm waiting in front of the Cafe so I can trigger Freya's black heart event (even though I just got purple on her). I read your post and decided I should pass the time by jumping in the river.

First jump, I got Gold.

Revol fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 29, 2010

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
More FOGU info:

* Somebody earlier asked about training pets. You need to buy pet toys from the mayor. They may not appear until after you buy the bell, and then the stethoscope. They may appear randomly; some bazaar days he'll only have the dog toy, some only the cat.

The dog has a toy bone. Toss it, and have him return it to you. The cat has a toy bell, and you do the same. One poster claims, however, that the cat bell has to be returned to your bag each time for it to work.

* You can have five dogs and five cats.

* Very interesting testing done concerning fertilizer and watering!

quote:

Did a little bit of testing. I planted a group of turnips, watered each once a day, and gave differing amounts of fertilizer(1 fertilizer a day). The seeds and fertilizer where both 1/2 star rank. Since turnips take 5 days to grow with 1 water a day, I could only test up to 4 days worth of fertilizer, but the results were interesting. I will do some further testing.

0 Fertilizer = 1/2 star(bazaar sell price 200)
1-3 Fertilizer = 1 star(bazaar sell price 240)
4 Fertilizer = 1.5 stars(bazaar sell price 280)

So, for turnips at least, either use 1 fertilizer, or 4, however using 4 fertilizer, apart from taking time and effort, only nets you 10 more g per unit then using 1(counting the cost of the fertilizer, and requires you to allow a full five days for the turnips to grow, which may cut into your profits.

Interestingly enough, when I cooked my turnips, the 1.5 star turnips turned into 2 star turnip salads, and the .5 and 1 star turnips turned into 1.5 star turnip salads. I'm not sure if this is a normal occurrence, but its some food for thought.

2 Star Turnip salad = 380g at bazaar
1.5 Star Turnip salad = 330g at bazaar

This means that, assuming these cooking results are normal(which they seem to be for me), that a four fertilizer turnip only nets 10g over a no fertilizer turnip when cooked, and takes a day longer, meaning that fertilizer on turnips isn't likely worth it unless you are planning to grind them into seeds.

quote:

I did some further testing with Potatoes. .5 star seeds, .5 star fertilizer. I used four test batches. Waterered all of them once a day.

a = Fertilized 0 Times = .5 star(300g at bazaar)
b = Fertilized 1 Time = 1 star(360g at bazaar)
c = Fertilized 4 Times = 1.5 star(420g at bazaar)
d = Fertilized 7 Times = 2 star(480g at bazaar)

I haven't found the exact threshold yet where potatoes move from 1.5 to 2 stars, but we're seeing some difference here. A 2 star potato nets 110g over a .5 star when counting in cost of fertilizer, which is fairly significant. However I can see arguments to going for 1.5 star so that you get can them ready in less than a week for a bazaar.

Bonus round

I did a similar test with cabbages(1 star seeds because that was what Raul was selling), but the results show some trends. Once again, 4 seeds

a = Fertilized 0 Times = 1 star(720g at bazaar)
b = Fertilized 1 Time = 1.5 stars(840g at bazaar)
c = Fertilized 4 Times = 2 stars(960g at bazaar)
d = Fertilized 14 Times = 3.5 stars!(1320g! at bazaar)

This shows us a few things. Despite having a higher starting grade, the cabbage seemed to advance at the same general rate as the potatoes and turnips. Also we see more expensive crops gain more benefit from fertilizer, and the more fertilizer you add, the quicker you get to a higher grade. The 3.5 star cabbage net 480g more then the unfertilized cabbage, even taking cost of fertilizer into account.

So in short, the more pricey the crop, the more benefit you get to growing it slowly and with lots of fertilizer.

Time permitting, I will later try and find the exact threshold for each star gain. We know 1 gains .5 star, and 4 gain 1 star, but my testing thus far hasn't giving me exact numbers beyond that.

quote:

Further testing, once again using .5 star fertilizer

Times fertilizer used = star gain

0 = 0
1-3 = +0.5
4-6 = +1
7-9 = 1.5
10-12 = 2.0

I think I'm starting to see a pattern. Any ways, I hope this research helps. Let me know if anything seems wrong.

In general, it seems that extra watering and fertilizer also increases the growth time.

Wandering Knitter posted:

And...I think my game might be broken? :smith: The Windmill Guy told me that I could finally unlock the last windmill, and showed it to me. Except I never opened the second one. Am I screwed, or is this a mistranslation?

Also I raised over 40k for the next bazaar upgrade but the game keeps acting like I didn't! :argh:

It's an odd wording, yeah. The other windmill opens up in the fall or something.

And the first time I earned over 20K during the first bazaar, I didn't upgrade. I had to do it twice. So maybe it's the same for all of them, and maybe it takes even longer? Also, are you going to the meeting the day after?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Grand Bazaar has a full multiplayer (local and WiFi) where you can visit each other's farms. It requires two systems and two games, though. Not much gameplay to it too, beyond helping each other work on the farms and exchanging items. No animals, either.

I kinda messed myself up. I bought the metal needed to upgrade my watering can, and then extended my fields.. I only have like 100G left though!

Bessie did just churn out a Golden Milk though, so hopefully some super yogurts will help me get some money back.

edit: The first upgrade to the watering can gives you a 1x2 output. Jump, and it goes to 1x3.

edit2: Let's figure out what fish you can catch with the basic rod can be cooked into simple one-item dishes!

YES: Dark Chub, Sweetfish, Willow Gugeon
NO: Silver Goby, Crucian Carp, Bitterling

Revol fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 30, 2010

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

naptalan posted:

What happens if you don't water your crops? Do they die, give you lower-quality crops or take longer to grow? If it's the last one, can you use the extra days of growth for more fertiliser and thus higher quality crops?

They die. Crops will take longer to grow if you water them TWICE a day. Same with fertilizer. It also means it is of higher grade.

Corridor posted:

e: Hey what did everyone else draw on their giant signboard? How many farms have giant penis logos now?

Yeah, I drew a penis. I also always name my farm 'Ramrod'. (Supertroopers reference, ho!)

Lemur Crisis posted:

That was the first thing I thought of. At least I only dedicated so much time and effort to it, though.

Right when I saw this I said out loud, "Wow, that's a good one!"

Then I felt.. weird.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Wait, crops take longer to grow if you water them twice a day? :psyduck:

That's what I'm hearing. The further you go into increasing a crop's rating, the longer it takes. Notice how all the seeds say it takes, say, 6-8 days to bloom? Eight days means you're watering twice and using fertilizer. Six days means you only water once with light to no fertilizer.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
God, I loving hate bringing the cows in and out. I just bought 3 babies, so I now have four of them. I'm thinking I'll just feed them indoors.. it would cost me 490G a week to do so.

Only problem there is that means I'd be losing money on my cows for the first time. Only one is mature, so I only get one milk a day. It's five star milk now, but I'm in the winter. This means I have no butterflies to give Freya, so I use my fallback gift... cheese.

Also, does anybody know what upgrading the small fishing pole does? And how do you get the medium one?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Royal W posted:

I discovered a way to get all the money you need in late fall/winter of the first year.

(spoiled for possibly game breaking, if you want to get your money the hard way.)

As soon as the third windmill opens up (the grinding mill). You are able to make grass seeds from fertilizer and fodder. One fertilizer (10g) and one fodder (70g) will combine to create 2 grass seeds (sold for 560 each) at the bazaar. I've been making 70-90,000 consistently since then.

Yeah, I saw somebody post that on FOGU, but I'm skipping it because of how game breakingly easy it is.

What are grass seeds for? Do they make fodder like the old games? Do grass patches survive multiple cuts like before? Do they stay around for all the seasons like before?

Edit: Oh snap, did anybody know what the boarded-up basement is? After you get the second field upgrade, Wilbur can turn your basement into a greenhouse for 100,000G. I'm gonna have to try to get that before my second year winter. (I'm mid-winter year one right now.)

Oh and FOGU says that while the dog that is sold year one is a husky, the one sold in year two is :love: BEAGLE :love: (I've got two IRL LOL)

edit2: Is there an easy-to-make egg dish that is profitable?

Revol fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 31, 2010

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Also, do higher star gifts = more friendship/love points?

I don't think so.

Zenzirouj posted:

Woah woah woah, there are different dogs? What's the link to the list? If german shepherds are ever an option I'm gonna have to turn my farm into a prison camp.

http://www.fogu.com/hm9/village/the-shops.php - Raul's Animal shop in Bazaar

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Also what the hell do you do with Yams? There's a "complete" recipe list on the fogu forums that doesn't even mention yams, and they sell for poo poo money.

I'm pretty sure there's a windmill thing for yams.

Edit: Nah, just pickled yams. That's a hassle.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Zenzirouj posted:

These olive trees I planted should be great simply for the olive oil. Though now that I think about it I'll probably need vegetable oil to make olive oil for some silly reason, just so I can't be kind of self-sufficient.

Yeah, pretty sure it requires oil. I wonder what the return is like on poo poo that requires you to buy ingredients like that?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Corridor posted:

What the poo poo happened to the cow festival? It said COW FESTIVAL IN SQUARE AT NOON so went down to the square at noon, and it was just a normal sunny day. People were milling about and Felix was in his house, and when I talked to him he told me that his house is high up. And the festival didn't happen. Is it because my cow is still a little cow? What, so because I'm unable to enter, the entire festival gets called off?

Sure, they don't even hold the dog festival if you don't have one yourself.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
So where is everybody at in Grand Bazaar? I just reached year two. I've got four cows (Bessie is at full hearts churning out 5 star milk), a chicken, three dogs and two fields with four trees. Freya is at a green heart.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Why can't Marian be a bachelorette?

That was one of my very first thoughts when I started the game. A super-fine blond with short hair? Sign me the gently caress up!

And no furrows. Upgrading the hoe makes it plow more squares. Although this time, the first upgrade, when you jump (which increases upgrade effectiveness in hoe and water can), it plows a four square shape of an upside down T.. you know, like that Tetris block?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Yeah, I had a hell of a time with stamina on the first of spring this year. I had to eat several milks and poo poo to get all of my hoe and water work done.

Corridor posted:

That cake on her head just seals the deal. Why isn't she a marriage option? Is it because she looks 17 instead of 7 :(

One fact I read about her is that she has a 'fan club'. It is apparently common in Japan for attractive ladies to have a fan club following.

God I loving love you Japan. Never change.

endolithic posted:

I'm a little more than halfway through Spring of my second year, have three sheep and a lamb, two cows, five cats, two dogs, and an assload of chickens. Once summer (?) comes I'm planting onions everywhere so I can finally cook with all of my eggs. Shiitake is too scarce to make lots of egg custard, I only have two cows so I can't make a lot of omelettes or puddings, and boiled eggs take forever and probably don't sell for much more. So it's either egg soup or holding an Egg Day.

I hurried to get the second field so I could plant some trees in the first, and if you haven't planted a tea tree you should. Like, now. Put spring leaves through the farm windmill twice and you can make a tea (Macha, I think?) that sells for ridiculous amounts of money.

Boiling eggs loses profit, I already tried.

And yeah, I made sure to plant two tea trees, because I saw that there was a lot of potential there.

Revol fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 1, 2010

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
oops

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I don't have my DS handy, what seasons can you harvest from a tea tree?

Off the top of my head, I think all but winter.

In fact, I think the tree makes different kinds of leaves depending on the season.

Revol fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 1, 2010

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
A lot of people are greatly enjoying Grand Bazaar.. I've seen a lot of people say it's the best DS game in the series yet. (Discounting Twin Villages, of course.)

Here's a few of the things a vet from the SNES game needs to know:

* Crops now have quality ratings, from half a star to five star. Higher the rating, higher the price it sells for. Crop ratings rise from using fertilizer and breeding your own seeds over time.

* All animals can graze outside instead of being fed in the barn.

* There is a large cooking and manufacturing mechanic to the game. GB uses Windmills to turn various items into other items.. like, Milk and Mint into Yogurt, one of my favorites. In the kitchen, combine crops and ingredients to make dishes.

* This one is special to Grand Bazaar: instead of the shipping bin, you sell everything on the weekend.

Beyond that, I think everything important is covered, or stays the same. You still give gifts to raise love interests. You still upgrade tools (well, two of them) to make them more useful.

But from every person who has played both RF games, RF2 is apparently much better.

Really? I thought I heard the opposite. I just tried to play RF2 before Bazaar, and I found it to be pretty disappointing. My main problem with it was that it holds back so much of the game until you have a child. I'm talking about tool upgrades, home upgrades, and the majority of monster hunting lands.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Fishylungs posted:

It took me a bit to realize I have to jump on cicadas, and I figure that's how it works for the butterflies that fly higher, right?

Yes. Although, if they start to fly higher than like.. above your head, then they're gone.

Corridor posted:

Awesome, I just found that I can buy cows fully grown. They're more expensive but I don't have to sit around shoveling food into their bottomless maws or shoving them in and out of the door each day for a month, waiting for them to grow up.

But when you buy a baby animal, they start out with two hearts! By the time they're fully grown, they're probably at three or four hearts.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Corridor posted:

I find that the best way is to nip back and forth between one side of the stand to the other. Stand on the edge of your stall, right before it asks if you want to pack up and leave, and then just clang that motherfucker. This way you kinda catch people as they're passing up and down either side. Especially on the left, where they wander in and out of the bazaar entrance. The only time I ever stop ringing is to sell poo poo or answer idiot questions.

I do that too, in fact I like to go up to the upper left hand corner of the stall to get characters who might've been off screen. But I wonder if all that even matters.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Does anyone know the bazaar sell price of a half star Tomato? Wondering if I should turn all of mine into salads.

Lemur Crisis posted:

Also, when I get to winter, will my animals still be able to graze outside...

Yes.

Zenzirouj posted:

Has anyone who has played past Winter 1 gotten into any kind of mining?

There is no 'mine'. The only ore you can get beyond Floyd or jumping in the river is random ore deposits litered around the place in the Winter.

The 'cave' under the waterfall is just for the Japanese girl, it seems.

Zenzirouj posted:

Also, he only seems to sell low-level rocks so I don't know how you would get a 5-star watering can without finding your own high level stuff. I also assumed that "wonderfuls" are special rocks.

I THINK you boost the quality of tools by the number of times you upgrade it.

Zenzirouj posted:

Am I right in assuming that the blocked-off area is a horse track? It looks like it.

Yes.

Zenzirouj posted:

And is there ever any way to get automated watering/crop collecting?

No. But I don't feel there needs to be. Unlike most HM games, I am very, VERY rarely pressed for time. I almost always go to bed around noon.

Stamina is more of an issue than time.

Zenzirouj posted:

Edit: I wondered the same thing about my windmill level. Maybe there are just a bunch of levels beyond Great, like Amazing, Superb, and God-king. I'm also not sure whether it's adding stars to my items or making the wait shorter or both (or neither).

Levels for the windmill, and for bugs and poo poo, don't see to do anything, but don't quote me on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Star Guarded posted:

personally I take harvest moon romance very seriously and create spreadsheets containing pro/cons of each candidate before launching a strategic gift campaign to min/max their affections and obtain their hand in marriage at the most convenient time for my crop rotation schedule

Is that how you approach love? With a spreadsheet?

• Locked thread