Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Badfinger posted:

That was awesome and everyone here knows sports programming needs more Mark Cuban style breakdown and analysis, and it won't happen.

THIS.

I don't like the current direction ESPN has gone down. They shouldn't be embracing the Mark May's, Stephen A. Smith's and Colin Cowherd's of the world.

I'd love to see people who study film, and just immerse than themselves within the game, much like how the aforementioned Jaws does. That's more impressive to me as a fan. Not screaming about some opinion you probably don't believe in anyways, but actual knowledge of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I got bored and randomly clicked on ESPN, due to them showing some NFL kickoff show...

...which was followed by an ESPN "First take" special on debating the merits of a certain backup QB.

Does ESPN honestly think they can't find other, more creative ways to fill programming? Going for the lowest common denominator is not always the best way to go about things.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

All three parts are up now, but all of you are morally obligated to go read the FJM Supercross post right now.

quote:

"Whether viewing superbike races on TV or from the grandstands or paddock, you will never find one of us screaming "You suck!" at a racer."

Just kind of letting that soak a little bit.

Perhaps it's because it's not as mainstream as other motorsports, but I can attest that booing, or the type of behavior he's describing is pretty common place in any mainstream racing series, worldwide in fact. Just ask any NASCAR fan about Jimmie Johnson, Formula 1 fan about Sebastian Vettel or IndyCar fans about the RedCars.

What a moron.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 21, 2012

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

"Garlic fries, crab sandwiches on grilled sourdough bread, clam chowder, fried calamari, sweet potato fries with cinnamon and chipotle sprinkle, and clove garlic chicken sandwiches."

Those all sound loving delicious.

Got news for mr. rear end in a top hat writer, it's all about making a buck. They know that they can convince someone to spend money there instead of some local restaurant downtown before or after the game, they've done their job.

It's hardly new, nor is it an attack on tradition. If anything, that's kind of encouraged me to attend a Giants game in the future.

http://mlb.mlb.com/det/ballpark/concessions.jsp

By the way, his beloved Tigers? Serve Asian, Mexican and a whole array of other things that at their ballpark.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Benne posted:

SB Nation did a fun look back at all the weird, obscure poo poo ESPN used to air. See how many of these you recognize

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/14/3767596/old-espn-tv-shows

They're missing "Speedworld", which is not the same as "NASCAR on ESPN", because they used to show a ton of autoracing events ranging from Sprint Cars to the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. ESPN killed it in the early 2000's, and when they got the NASCAR rights back they pretty much took a giant piss over their great motorsports coverage in the past by making it terrible.

RPM2Night was badass too.

Madden Nation, ugh. That was cringeworthy as all hell. I found it really depressing that the guys who'd "pick" a team for Madden were never actually legit fans of the team, and just chose them as a strategy. It just seemed to be a collection of posers that looked like they all looked up to Fred Durst growiing up.

A better show would have been to have NFL Stars play each other, or to focus on the Madden Tourney that happens at the Super Bowl every year.

Cheap Seats owned. Long Live Steve Garvey!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

On the subject of people worth disliking, Jeff Pearlman hates super bowl parties.

Insert your own jokes here.

I think the subject at hand has potential.

There are quite a few goons I've seen in TFF who have said thay hate the Super Bowl because it invites a lot of people who have no clue about the sport to watch it.

Points could also be made that the media hype that surrounds it takes away quite a bit from the game itself. Like, I think if you're a fan of either of these teams, or off football itself, I don't think you really care about the etrade baby or beyonce.

The article was definitely poorly executed though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

St1cky posted:

His podcast is alright with the right guest, but he is awful on NBA countdown.

I think Simmons does have a place on NBA countdown, but just overall the setup is terrible.

Wilbon is not an anchor. That much is clear. You got to get a Chris Fowler or Rece Davis type to be an anchor there.

Perfection would be having an anchor, one person who's good with interviews (NOT Rachel Nichols, perhaps you get a former WNBA/Team USA star looking to break into sports journalism), one former player (Magic fits okay here I guess), and hell, a guy like Simmons.

You can have a few guests come in place, but nothing permanent. I think the NFL today in the early 80's had a perfect formula that should have never been hosed with. Sometimes less is indeed more.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

Congrats your show already sucks.

I'm struggling to find anyone else to put in that slot.

There's only one Charles Barkley.

sportsgenius86 posted:

As annoying as he can be, he gave me 30 for 30, which, by the end of this year, will have resulted in nearly 100 ESPN documentaries as well as an increase in documentary productions by NBC Sports, NHL Network, NFL Network, NBATV and more.

Very much agree with this.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLXYO4tCqUw&feature=youtu.be

Going to leave this here.

ESPN is hot garbage.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Benne posted:

This is it. Remember this day, people, the moment when SportsCenter finally died.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013..._medium=twitter

You know, I've honestly lost any reason to watch Sportscenter.

If I want to see the best coverage/analysis of what's taking place in the NFL, I'll go turn on NFL Network. Same with Major League Baseball, the NHL and the NBA.

They don't cover Indycar, Formula 1 or any other form of racing except NASCAR, so why bother on that front. Even with NASCAR they do a godawful job at it.

I can watch the Big Ten's arm of propaganda break down their own conference in any sort of sport I'd want.

So what do I have left to watch on that network? a bunch of talking heads yelling at each other? Hearing Mark May troll the entire country with bullshit opinions on College Football in a condescending tone? Hearing about the Miami Heat? Hearing about Tim Tebow?

There's no reason to watch that channel except for background noise. And even then, there's probably better alternatives out there.

Someday it's all going to bite them in the rear end too. Going for the lowest common denominator is only going to work for so much longer.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Benne posted:

Bring back Cheap Seats you dumb bastards :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhPq1GHlawM

Have Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy pop in too.

Such a good show.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The Prisoner posted:

What ESPN ought to be doing is hiring people who are legitimately entertaining and likable to helm Sportscenter, as their subsidiary north of the border seems to have done. Many of my Canadian friends watch TSN's Sportscentre for Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole antics as much as they do for the news and highlights. The distinction here is that Onrait and O'Toole are light-hearted and enjoyable guys who don't take themselves or their roles too seriously - which may or may not be inherent to TSN's less dominant position over Canadian sports media versus ESPN's over the US' combined with the fact their timeslot is later at night.

Well that used to be the Formula that ESPN did go with in the 90's.

Guys like Patrick, Olbermann (pre-msnbc), Eisen, Steiner seemed to have a great balance of that. They could make jokes, while retaining some sort of sense of professionalism.

I've taken to watching Sky Sports News on Fox Soccer lately on nights when I can't sleep. I have no clue about Premier League Soccer or UEFA in general, but it's a rather good watch.

NBCSN is rather good too. The 'Lights isn't bad, and the Dan Patrick show is pretty fun to watch as well. Also good news for motorsports fans! They're launching a show devoted to motorsports called "The Grid" this thursday at 9:30 pm EST.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 3, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

reuniting DP with Olberman for a nightly sports highlights show on NBCSN would be awesome.

But I don't think that NBC is too keen on him. But that would be my dream scenario

Vertical Lime posted:

Yeah, it will probably never happen. Then again, he did have a stint at MSNBC after leaving ESPN in the late 90's before his more well-remembered second tenure.

Meanwhile, according to Stephen A. Smith, there are still ties in hockey:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/march/stephen-a-smith-rants-on-ties-in-hockey-which-don-t-exist-anymore.html

Not that I expected him to be anywhere close to a hockey expert, but c'mon.

ESPN is going to continue to hitch their wagon to these type of idiots and it's going to lead them down a path of failure.

Stephen A. Smith isn't qualified to discuss how to make a ham sandwich, let alone talk about hockey.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

All I've ever wanted them to do is start showing Australian Rules Football at weird hours of the day every week during the season again like they did when I was five.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Thunder

:allears:

The other angle to this. Who the hell honestly likes any of these asshats? At least you could argue with opinionated political pundits like O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Maddow, etc that they indeed have their supporters.

Do people actually support Skip Bayless? Stephen A. Smith? Mark May? Colin Cowherd?

I don't watch them, but I know of like 1 or 2 people who do watch "first take" for some ungodly reason.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

EDIT: Beaten.

You know, say what you will about Simmons (and you'd be right), but ESPN is beyond belief out of line here. I could buy him getting suspended for saying something racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.

But for criticizing ESPN's poo poo programming?

ESPN, You do realize that outside of Jeremy Schaap and Bob Ley? Simmons is one of the few things separating your channel from being E! news. (not his column, just mainly for the occasional good grantland piece and 30 for 30)

I'll also say this. Simmons could leave ESPN tomorrow, and take his talents to another media source and be better off.

You don't think Sports Illustrated/NBCSN are begging to land a guy of his caliber? Fox Sports? CBS?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

We're in a world where every other major power is trying to build its own network to cross brand with a web presence. He's never been more safe than he is right now. His fans are almost exclusively in the key demographic the company wants to target. It's not so much about them losing clicks as it is someone else gaining them because of Simmons. Are they too powerful to be knocked off - almost certainly. But this is not a climate in which they're going to test those waters by letting Simmons walk. FOX would back a dump truck full of money at his door tomorrow. They'd be dying to launch their all sports network with someone as influential as Bill Simmons captaining the ship.

ESPN is about to enter a new era in competition.

I honestly believe NBCSN is one big contract away from being relevant (NASCAR anyone?).

Fox Sports already has some good deals going on itself.

CBS Sports? I'm not sure. They don't have poo poo on their network as it stands right now, but that could change.

So, yes. They're really investing in perhaps the worst sorts of people right now. They should be listening to what Simmons has to say, not fining him.

This also means that bullying the on-air/writers talent is a mistake. They can't do what they did tried to do to Dan Patrick back in the day, because there's 3 other alternatives licking their chops for talent, and a name to stamp on their brand.

In the end guys like Cowherd, Bayless and SAS are a dime a dozen. You can stick any idiot in a chair, hand him some talking points and let him go to town. And that's exactly what will happen the mere second any of those goofballs drop some sort of racist/sexist/homophobic comment. You'll see them whisked away, and some other idiot will be put in the same exact chair.

Guys like Simmons, SVP, Dan Patrick are not.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 15, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

SI and their other magazines are going to be spun off into a separate company soon. They don't have a prayer.

SI does.

NBCSN needs a legitimate name to tie themselves too, and you had better believe SI fits that mold.

They already have a partnership with Dan Patrick (who writes "Just my type"), and I also believe they have a news magazine airing on the channel.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/more/07/02/sportsillustrated.nbc/index.html

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 19, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Not to interrupt the rape conversation, but is ESPN apparently going all out on hyping the Miami Heat winning streak? It keeps showing up on my twitter feed from Cavs fans bitching about it.

I feel a lot better having gone out of my way to not watch that channel over the last couple of weeks.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The Prisoner posted:

If you want to talk about ESPN not talking about the Blackhawks' streak (or SI overplaying it to a ludicrous proportion) then we're cookin' with gas.

Right, we would be.

I don't fault them for covering it, I think I moreso fault them for the way it's presumably being covered.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

Agreed, they should only talk about legitimately notable sports accomplishments when they involve teams you like.

They are, at least ostensibly, a sports news station. A team winning a historically notable number of games in a row is a fairly big sports story. And it least in regards to the last couple games, they kept the streak alive in extremely dramatic and entertaining fashion.

Not what I was arguing about.

I think it warrants coverage, but I don't think so much that it detracts from covering other events/teams.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I was curious, would there be enough interest in doing a PYF-type thread of favorite broadcasters, announcers, color guys, theme music, etc?

I kind of really want to talk about how awesome ABC's Wide World of Sports was.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

question,

what it the sas consensus on Jeremy Schaap and Bob Ley?

They seem to be the last two really good journalists on that network.

My respect for Schaap has increased in recent years due to his coverage of the Wheldon passing, and various other difficult stories in the world of sports.

It's really refreshing to see sports covered in the way those two guys do.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

swizz posted:

I really liked Jeremy Schaap's work related to the "Finding Bobby Fischer" segment he did for Outside the Lines

That was incredible.

The one thing that blew me away was how knowledgeable about Jesse Owens. He was on Big Ten Icons, and he came off as almost a professor with how much he knew about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTtCIxmeuns

This is still my favorite piece he's done though. I realize I have an autoracing bias, but he shows off how well rounded of a reporter he was.

Few mainstream writers I think could file a report on this without coming as really uninformed.

Crazy Ted posted:

Also, if you want to know the quality of Schaap and Ley, they basically winged it on their own in the studio for 2.5 hours on the afternoon of the Boston Marathon bombing and pretty much did a better job of just reporting straight news and facts than any national news outlet.

Agreed. Was thanking god ESPN stuck with them on the air during that whole event.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Benne posted:

College recruiting is the creepiest drat thing in all of sports.

It's up there for sure.

Not that there's anything wrong with say Scholarship Athletes in itself. It's cool to see people who may have not had that chance to go to college get that chance. It's also been tremendous for both women going to college, and also their participation

It makes me sick to see poo poo like "Signing Day" occur though. Along with High School games being broadcast on National Television, and a few other things that occur on the non-college/pro level.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 29, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Little League World Series is more about "well there's gently caress all going on in sports in August" than "ok so which of these 12-year-olds can be major leaguers someday" but the excessive coverage of it still bothers me. It was no big deal when they would show the final game but now even the qualifying games just to get to Williamsport are on TV and on the score ticker and ugh.

It's a mixed thing for me.

On one hand it's tremendous that athletics for children are being promoted in a very positive way. I think that's a good thing.

On the other hand? ESPN shouldn't be covering like it's the loving World Cup/Olympics. I still very distinctly remembering the first weekend of college football being kind of met with shrugged shoulders by ABC/ESPN one year, while Keith Jackson and/or pre-senile/pervert Brent Musburger were being sent to cover that thing. Sorry, but College Football > Little kids playing baseball (unless it's your kid).

Have the qualifying games air on Disney Channel, or one of it's affiliates. I think that's a very fair compromise and would better reach the demographic they'd be reaching for.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

"You have the right to acknowledge everyone's beliefs...but you don't have to "RESPECT" that person's beliefs".

-Patton Oswalt.

It just gets old that people rush out to defend comments like this, and those that were said by the Chick-fil-a pres. Why should I respect a bigoted comment?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So, about this SEC Network business.

Is it incorrect to assume that some ethical problems could arise by the fact that the largest voice in sports media, has officially partnered up with a conference such as the SEC?

I ask because it feels a little different than the Big Ten's relationship with Newscorp, and the PAC 12's network.

ESPN with access to the bullhorn, rights to major bowl games, and the playoff could makes me feel a little uneasy as a fan of a mid-major and major conference that is not the SEC.

Not to mention there is a potential problem in the way they could handle a scandal featuring an SEC team. It sure was easy to throw Ohio State under the bus (whether you believe it was correct in doing so, is subject to opinion), but lets say Alabama is within a similar predicament. Are we going to see the Mark May's of the world rock the boat on a team that brings revenue and viewers to the network? One that they have an official partnership with?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

I've already felt this way for years. Its already directly affected the national championship game. Remember when #1 Ohio State #2 Michigan was going to ruin football forever, but then an SEC rematch was the greatest thing in the history of ever? Big Ten had already aligned itself with Fox by then.

It's very much why I'm cheering on the new Fox Sports 1, NBC Sports and CBS Sports to push ESPN into a decreased influence in the world of sports.

Within the world of Pro Sports it could be argued that they're relatively kept in check via the Commissioners of each respective sport. The NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB could all survive and thrive without that network. They could easily brush off any sort of criticism a Mark May type could lob at them as well.

Collegiate Sports? Different story. I honestly feel the way ESPN covered the Tattoogate scandal led to the sanctions that were pushed against them by the NCAA. They sicked Mark May (a man that is not even loving qualified to discuss the making of a ham sandwich, let alone COLLEGIATE SPORTS) on them, gave him air time and offered no air time on the countering view point. In comparison I noticed that went extremely soft on Auburn during the whole scandal related to Cam Newton.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sweatshops exist because they're able to pay the workers much more than what they'd get in other occupations in those countries.

They're terrible though, and there is absolutely no excuse for Nike, Levi and others to not accept anything more than the highest working condition standards for their employees. Everything from safety to decent work hours should be mandatory. Little kids should not be toiling away on a pair of loving sneakers on only 4 hours sleep. That's disgusting and wrong.

Darren Rovell is also an idiot.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 8, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

half sports related, but is it bad that I can't stand when there's cross posting of Jezebel on Deadspin?

Jalopink and Deadspin are the only two sections I care to read there. Jezebel is pretty terrible. (not because of the stances they have, but rather the overall writing).

Always a good option, just annoying to see them appear in the feed

VVVVVVV

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 17, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Skip came off as very well read and an actual god honest journalist in "Pony Excess".

Skip's not an idiot. The character he and ESPN created? Completely different story.

I agree with the debate topic though. If there was a debate show featuring top journalists, figures, etc in athletics debating legit topics such as Title IX, Gay Athletes, the Financial impact of hosting a major sporting event (whether it's positive or negative), than yeah that would make an interesting TV show to view.

When it's two cartoon character figures supposed to be mimicking the worst of sports talk radio, and that format has spilled into every part of your broadcast though? That's terrible. ESPN has made viewing sports almost like watching some jock-filled version of the E! network. I'm not saying I'm expecting enlightment when viewing a sporting event or watching the drat channel, but god, please stop with this faux-debate garbage, and start covering sports.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 29, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and the modern day equivalent of Jim Everett trying to kick Jim Rome's rear end will happen on Cowherd's show. And this time the athlete in question will succeed.

This brings up an interesting point.

Rome seemed to be the first of those sort of "troll"-first take types.

But I sense something a little different out of him versus say, Colin Cowherd.

Recently his interviews have been rather good, and when he's not obsessively playing sound bites, his program is "listenable".

I've yet to really see that out of Cowherd.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The thing I'm sort of wondering about Cowherd's longevity is this.

Where are his fans/supporters?

I know Dan Patrick he was able to survive the move away from "the mothership" because he had a decent following.

Rome? Say what you will about the guy, but he does have "Clones" that seem to follow him around everywhere he goes.

If he were to get fired tommorow, would anyone event want to remotely pick him up?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Groucho Marxist posted:

Around the Horn is decent if Bomani Jones is on it and awful when he isn't.

Bill Plaschke is awful

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Honestly why would I bother turning into ESPN now-a-days?

First Take, Colin Cowherd and the whole collection of "Debate shows" are awful. They don't present anything informative to me as a viewer, nor are the hosts likable/entertaining.

The Radio shows are either very boring or obnoxious.

Sportscenter has become more about featuring talent from above, discussing the NBA any chance it could get or discussing non-stories.

About the only thing that would make me really want to tune is if they were showing something with Bob Ley/Jeremy Schaap, a 30 for 30 special or a live broadcast.

I can get my NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL/Big Ten N/V from their respective networks, and the auto racing coverage seems to be great over on NBCSN (ESPN seems to think only NASCAR exists). If I want local sports coverage, I could either turn on the local talk radio station, or Sports Time Ohio.

I'm not sure this model ESPN is going to work for very much longer.

C. Everett Koop posted:

So who's ready for Primetime First Take everyone?

You may think you're joking, but they've seriously tried that. They literally thought a debate over Tim Tebow was worth an hour of air time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ChampRamp posted:

ESPN/ABC's NBA contract is up in 2016 and with the emergence of Fox Sports 1, you have to wonder if one of the channel's big draws is in danger of leaving the network. If Fox is serious with this FS1 thing (which it appears they are), then they could throw an absurd amount of money for those NBA rights. If that happens, then it is time to panic.

I wish someone would pry away the College Football rights that ESPN has away from them.

FS1 is slowly doing that, but It'd be cool to see NBCSN throw their hat into the ring as well.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

ESPN's coverage of college football has flaws, but I think it's the best thing they do and they handle it way better than any of the other networks. Fox is horrible at it. That period where they had rights to the non-Rose Bowl BCS games was pretty ugly (although it did spark Stanzi's love it or leave it thing, so that was fun)

I think the drop in quality post-2005 is pretty evident, which is sad to say because I felt that around that period they had some drat good coverage of college football.

I find Herbstrait to be rather overrated, and I'm really saddened to see Brent Musburger become what's he become. I also find the shoe-horning of country music and dave matthews band to be down right terrible.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Ribsauce posted:

Who the hell now says "Well goddamn, if only Olbermann could get a highlights show again, I'd watch that!" The guy is a joke now. What (positive) buzz is he going to generate?

I'd love to see NBCSN have him and Patrick host a Faux-Sportscenter show on the network.

But yeah, just Keith? Eh, not really.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

I think ESPN needs the NBA and the NBA needs ESPN. Barring Fox Sports 1 gaining huge market shares before 2016, I don't see why the NBA would want to leave. As we learned from the NHL, if ESPN doesn't have the rights to your sport, they aren't covering it.

This isn't necessarily true.

ESPN had the rights to the Indy 500, and gave it some rather half-assed coverage during the month of May. In the meantime they gave the NASCAR race, one that was being aired on Fox greater coverage in terms of highlights and discussion. ESPN does have the rights to NASCAR, true, but only from August on.

I also think that if they didn't have the rights to the NFL, they would indeed still cover it.

It's very much true though. ESPN REALLY seems to go :allears: on the NBA in the worst way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I thought the gimmick of NBCSN's highlights show was that there was no host saying dumb poo poo over the highlights. I haven't seen it because I don't get the channel anymore, but the advertising made it look like the Premier League Review Show that they show on FSN sometimes where it's just a series of clips with the original commentary.

Right.

They do that in the morning, and then switch over to the Dan Patrick Show. It's a good format, and one I support.

My dream proposal is that Olbermann and Patrick host the 11 pm Sportscenter-clone. I don't think that would go against the morning one.