Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

Fox made the bad call of using NFL guys. I couldn't believe the commentators. Terry Bradshaw is too busy sleeping or watching NFL games to believably say "all season I've seen X from Texas."

Whoever decided to put Marcus Allen in the studio (or on TV at all) should have been fired. And may have been for all I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ESPN will be fine for a few more years but it's interesting to see what will happen when the rights for stuff start popping up in a few years. My problem with ESPN is if it's not the NFL, or a big market NBA/MLB team, or Nascar, they offer nothing for the viewer at all. NBC's Formula One coverage is really fantastic in my eyes. Also, I think that exact same article mentioned that not even their MNF ratings helped because the MNF game isn't the marquee that it used to be. As soon as NBC got the rights to Sunday Night Football, they started getting all the biggest games. I'm not sure if their ratings were down during football season, but there was no bump. I think it was +/- 5 percent but I can't remember which way.

The next five years are going to be huge for Fox and NBC. MNF is up in 2021 and Sunday Night Baseball is up in 2020. It's all about building up a very solid viewer base to start and then bringing in a big ticket program that will give them leverage against the networks. I'll be shocked if ESPN holds on to their NBA contract.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
ESPN's NHRA broadcasts aren't too bad, but the only time you see anything about drag racing on ESPN is if they're covering the event or someone dies.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
ESPN deserves to have its ratings tank for putting John Kruk in the booth for MLB. He's so awful.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I appreciate a sports network with a business model based on filling its airtime with obnoxious people with seemingly no knowledge or insight into sports.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

I appreciate a sports network with a business model based on filling its airtime with obnoxious people with seemingly no knowledge or insight into sports.

This is why I have MLB Network on all night during Primetime. And whenever Kevin Millar is on.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If the biggest criticism you have of ESPN is that they're not adequately covering a bunch of racing sports that no one gives a poo poo about then I don't know what to tell you.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

MourningView posted:

If the biggest criticism you have of ESPN is that they're not adequately covering a bunch of racing sports that no one gives a poo poo about then I don't know what to tell you.

Don't bother trying to come up with anything to tell me, it isn't my biggest criticism.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Someone I follow has a good writeup on said ratings woes. I'll point out one part that is of concern:

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/7/12/4515728/espn-ratings-drops-sports-center

quote:

Here's why I feel the numbers are more than just "an aberration." Remember that 715,000 figure I mentioned as being ESPN's total-day audience? That is down 20 percent from the same time last year. That's more than just people not being as interested in sports, or having weaker NBA games. That's a programming problem, that's decreasing interest in the network. ESPN2 is also down in total day audience and primetime.

Look, nothing here is catastrophic. The Aaron Hernandez story will likely bring ratings gains to SportsCenter and shows in various other dayparts in quarter three, and by the end of that quarter football -- the panacea to all that ails -- will have returned. But everyone has to admit one thing: this is terrible timing for the network to have what is their worst quarter in primetime in seven years.

If anyone would over take over, Fox would probably make the biggest run, they're already number 2 by default right now.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

Someone I follow has a good writeup on said ratings woes. I'll point out one part that is of concern:

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/7/12/4515728/espn-ratings-drops-sports-center

If anyone would over take over, Fox would probably make the biggest run, they're already number 2 by default right now.

I think FOX Sports 1 is going to end up doing a lot better than people seem to think. It won't take long for Onrait and O'Toole to be the combination of choice for people looking to watch a Sportscenter-type show. FOX is going to swoop in and be what ESPN used to be. There's too much arrogance in Bristol and it's going to bite them on the rear end.

NBC seems to be going for the niche crowd with hockey, EPL and F1 being the focal point of the network. They won't ever be a serious threat with those, but I think all three of those are offerings that have loyal followings that won't really fluctuate that much.

CBS is a total non-entity.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I think the biggest issue for ESPN (and other sports networks) is that much of their target demographic, young people, don't want or need a SportsCenter type show anymore.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I think it was in the NFL media thread, but there was a discussion about how what is really killing them is Twitter. I love Schefter, he breaks as many stories as anyone not named Jay Glazer, except with the bonus you don't have to read 284 MMA tweets a day. 15 years ago I would have had to watch ESPN for 30 minutes until his studio hit came up and I could find out who signed with what team that day, now I can hop on twitter and get it all in 2 minutes, right when I want it. Same with the NBA, in 2 minutes of Woj's twitter feed I can find out more than I can watching ESPN for an entire hour long Sportscenter. Hell, I don't even have to go to ESPN.com anymore. If Schefter says "Peyton Manning signs with Broncos, link to story: espn.com/whocares" the link is going unclicked. I do not need any more information than he gave me in 1 sentence.

The other big thing you got 15 years ago were highlights. Now I can go to youtube and see LeBron James leap over 3 guys and unleash a chaos dunk 5 minutes after it happens. I don't need to watch 15 minutes of coverage for a sport I don't care about (example baseball) to get to the Top 10.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

I think it was in the NFL media thread, but there was a discussion about how what is really killing them is Twitter. I love Schefter, he breaks as many stories as anyone not named Jay Glazer, except with the bonus you don't have to read 284 MMA tweets a day. 15 years ago I would have had to watch ESPN for 30 minutes until his studio hit came up and I could find out who signed with what team that day, now I can hop on twitter and get it all in 2 minutes, right when I want it. Same with the NBA, in 2 minutes of Woj's twitter feed I can find out more than I can watching ESPN for an entire hour long Sportscenter. Hell, I don't even have to go to ESPN.com anymore. If Schefter says "Peyton Manning signs with Broncos, link to story: espn.com/whocares" the link is going unclicked. I do not need any more information than he gave me in 1 sentence.

The other big thing you got 15 years ago were highlights. Now I can go to youtube and see LeBron James leap over 3 guys and unleash a chaos dunk 5 minutes after it happens. I don't need to watch 15 minutes of coverage for a sport I don't care about (example baseball) to get to the Top 10.

The major sports websites are pretty exceptional now, too. I'm not a big hockey fan but I found myself watching more hockey than ever this season after discovering the 5 minute recap videos. MLB.com has its "Must C" section which you can just browse to see all the clips you'd see on Sportscenter and then you don't have to go far if you want to see more from that game.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

tadashi posted:

The major sports websites are pretty exceptional now, too. I'm not a big hockey fan but I found myself watching more hockey than ever this season after discovering the 5 minute recap videos. MLB.com has its "Must C" section which you can just browse to see all the clips you'd see on Sportscenter and then you don't have to go far if you want to see more from that game.

MLB.com is still an irritating mess. It takes like 55 clicks to find the 2 minute game recap because they assume I'd rather individually watch each highlight individually and their search function is like 1996 Alta Vista.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

R.D. Mangles posted:

MLB.com is still an irritating mess. It takes like 55 clicks to find the 2 minute game recap because they assume I'd rather individually watch each highlight individually and their search function is like 1996 Alta Vista.

Yeah, that's the lovely part about MLBAM. They don't make their summary highlights accessible. That should be the easiest thing to find.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Those napalmed bridges might be springing back up...

Mediaite posted:

Despite having signed a deal to host postseason baseball coverage for TBS, Keith Olbermann is in talks to host a New York-based late night program on ESPN 2, the New York Daily News reports.

According to the Daily News sources, Olbermann is in the midst of “very fluid” discussions with ESPN over the project, but nothing has yet to be green-lit or confirmed.

“If the move to Olbermann is made, it could blunt the buzz Fox hopes to generate with its August launch of Fox Sports 1. This could be the first shot in an all-sports cable TV war,” the newspaper speculates. “The sources added ESPN is also considering unleashing a multi-million dollar SportsCenter advertising campaign/counter attack that would air around the launch of FS1.”

In the past, the former MSNBC and Current TV host has been rumored to seek a return to ESPN, the network with which he rose to prominence during a 1992-1997 stint as SportsCenter anchor.

The major complication that could arise out of an ESPN return would be his new contract with Turner Sports, which has him hosting its MLB postseason coverage this upcoming fall.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, that's the lovely part about MLBAM. They don't make their summary highlights accessible. That should be the easiest thing to find.

MLB is just getting into the whole "people are into sports on the internet" fad so hopefully their infrastructure will improve (it won't)

Crazy Ted posted:

See guys? ESPN is doing just fine. Would a desperate network hire Keith Olbermann? I say no, no they would not

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Crazy Ted posted:

quote:

“If the move to Olbermann is made, it could blunt the buzz Fox hopes to generate with its August launch of Fox Sports 1. This could be the first shot in an all-sports cable TV war,” the newspaper speculates.

Who the hell now says "Well goddamn, if only Olbermann could get a highlights show again, I'd watch that!" The guy is a joke now. What (positive) buzz is he going to generate?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Declan MacManus posted:

MLB is just getting into the whole "people are into sports on the internet" fad so hopefully their infrastructure will improve (it won't)
Outside of their lovely website searching, they have been way ahead of everyone in this regard

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yeah, poo poo, MLB was doing live streaming/MLBTV all the way back to like, 2002 or something like that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Outside of their lovely website searching, they have been way ahead of everyone in this regard

And pulling anything they didn't post from Youtube. MLB's streaming site is the best one, but it seems like the NBA has a way better relationship with fans online. They're totally fine letting people post cool highlight videos (or even full games) all over the place, figuring that it's just a good way to advertise the game and I know to get access to their stats site all you have to do is claim to write for basically any random blog.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I can understand them pulling poo poo off YouTube if they actually do have a paid-for service that basically gives you a video archive of every game of the last ten years; it's not as bad as when leagues pulled poo poo, and if you wanted to watch an old game, you either went to a torrent tracker, or were SOL.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
MLBAM has started easing up on the restrictions on posting videos online and At Bat is the best sports app out there [sponsored post]

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Ribsauce posted:

Who the hell now says "Well goddamn, if only Olbermann could get a highlights show again, I'd watch that!" The guy is a joke now. What (positive) buzz is he going to generate?

I'd love to see NBCSN have him and Patrick host a Faux-Sportscenter show on the network.

But yeah, just Keith? Eh, not really.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ESPN showed slow-pitch softball on this Saturday morning.

Once in a while, the network is still worth watching :allears:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ChampRamp posted:

ESPN/ABC's NBA contract is up in 2016 and with the emergence of Fox Sports 1, you have to wonder if one of the channel's big draws is in danger of leaving the network. If Fox is serious with this FS1 thing (which it appears they are), then they could throw an absurd amount of money for those NBA rights. If that happens, then it is time to panic.

I think ESPN needs the NBA and the NBA needs ESPN. Barring Fox Sports 1 gaining huge market shares before 2016, I don't see why the NBA would want to leave. As we learned from the NHL, if ESPN doesn't have the rights to your sport, they aren't covering it.

Even with the drop, ESPN's ratings are still pretty good for the daytime. Not sure what they can do better with the time. News shows are not going to work. Perhaps they could throw in higher quality analysis on their shows, but I don't know if that's what the daytime viewing audience wants to see. As horrible as Skip Bayless and others are, they do have a particular audience that is willing to tune in to see them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

I think ESPN needs the NBA and the NBA needs ESPN. Barring Fox Sports 1 gaining huge market shares before 2016, I don't see why the NBA would want to leave. As we learned from the NHL, if ESPN doesn't have the rights to your sport, they aren't covering it.

This isn't necessarily true.

ESPN had the rights to the Indy 500, and gave it some rather half-assed coverage during the month of May. In the meantime they gave the NASCAR race, one that was being aired on Fox greater coverage in terms of highlights and discussion. ESPN does have the rights to NASCAR, true, but only from August on.

I also think that if they didn't have the rights to the NFL, they would indeed still cover it.

It's very much true though. ESPN REALLY seems to go :allears: on the NBA in the worst way.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Benne posted:

ESPN showed slow-pitch softball on this Saturday morning.

Once in a while, the network is still worth watching :allears:

I'll never forget coming home at 5am and seeing Aussie Rules Football on and wondering what the gently caress it was I was watching. I've been hooked ever since.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'd love to see NBCSN have him and Patrick host a Faux-Sportscenter show on the network.

But yeah, just Keith? Eh, not really.

I thought the gimmick of NBCSN's highlights show was that there was no host saying dumb poo poo over the highlights. I haven't seen it because I don't get the channel anymore, but the advertising made it look like the Premier League Review Show that they show on FSN sometimes where it's just a series of clips with the original commentary.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I thought the gimmick of NBCSN's highlights show was that there was no host saying dumb poo poo over the highlights. I haven't seen it because I don't get the channel anymore, but the advertising made it look like the Premier League Review Show that they show on FSN sometimes where it's just a series of clips with the original commentary.

Right.

They do that in the morning, and then switch over to the Dan Patrick Show. It's a good format, and one I support.

My dream proposal is that Olbermann and Patrick host the 11 pm Sportscenter-clone. I don't think that would go against the morning one.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I can understand them pulling poo poo off YouTube if they actually do have a paid-for service that basically gives you a video archive of every game of the last ten years; it's not as bad as when leagues pulled poo poo, and if you wanted to watch an old game, you either went to a torrent tracker, or were SOL.

The problem is and somewhat continues to be that they're not just pulling walk off home run highlights. They're pulling stupid videos of a guy tripping over second base and other equally harmless videos.

And yeah MLB's site is a pain to search.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MourningView posted:

The dude has a point. If it's not NFL or a team based in a top 5 market they don't give a poo poo about it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Peanut President posted:

The dude has a point. If it's not NFL or a team based in a top 5 market they don't give a poo poo about it.

Neither do the bulk of their viewers.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

MourningView posted:

Neither do the bulk of their viewers.

Yeah, honestly, blame the casual fan for that. It's not ESPN's fault that no one gives a poo poo unless there's a nationally popular team in the news.

For instance, if you look at the World Series ratings from the past decade, notice the markets and games that drew the highest ratings (New York, Boston, game 7s, etc) and compare that to the rest of the years. There is a definite spike in interest depending on the market and how long the series goes.

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 13, 2013

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
There's a spike because more people live in New York than Saint Louis. Like play to the major cities all you like but don't pull this "WORLD WIDE LEADER IN SPORTS" bullshit when you aren't going to cover any teams outside of new york/boston/la/miami.

edit: I just want to be clear, I 100% understand why they do it and why they won't stop doing it. I just wish they and the rest of the media would stop acting like anyone cares about the yankees and red sox.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Peanut President posted:

I just wish they and the rest of the media would stop acting like anyone cares about the yankees and red sox.

Hahahah

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Yankees and Red Sox get high ratings, so I think you're the one in the wrong here.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Peanut President posted:

edit: I just want to be clear, I 100% understand why they do it and why they won't stop doing it. I just wish they and the rest of the media would stop acting like anyone cares about the yankees and red sox.

They will stop covering the Yankees and Red Sox when their Yankees and Red Sox coverage stops getting the most attention.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

There's a spike because more people live in New York than Saint Louis. Like play to the major cities all you like but don't pull this "WORLD WIDE LEADER IN SPORTS" bullshit when you aren't going to cover any teams outside of new york/boston/la/miami.

Most overrated rivalry in sports. Bar none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The times when I'm really annoyed with ESPN is when sportscenter doesn't show highlights of a game. It's very annoying when a game happened and its not covered at all.