Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Chairman Capone posted:

It's always strange when official sources actually have even partial nudity. I remember in the Art of ROTJ, the first concept art of Oola was of her topless with a ballgag.

Artists are really really passionate people.

Remember passion is many things. Sometimes, slightly sticky things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
All this fuss about Saw Gerrera in Rogue One has me thinking about characters who first appeared in sources other than the screen canon.

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Boba Fett in the Holiday Special and Quinlan Vos who went from the comics to Clone Wars.

Am I missing anyone?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

K'kruhk was originally in one of the post-TPM comics, and he showed up in the original Clone Wars cartoon.

Asajj Ventress might have originally been in the Republic comics, I forget, but that's kind of a different case since she was made specifically for that entire coordinated comics/books/TV project. Actually, in the same mold, Durge was originally in the comics before the 2003 Clone Wars.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's not exactly the same thing, but the new Han Solo comic brought Airen Cracken back from the depths of the EU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lemniscate Blue posted:

All this fuss about Saw Gerrera in Rogue One has me thinking about characters who first appeared in sources other than the screen canon.

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Boba Fett in the Holiday Special and Quinlan Vos who went from the comics to Clone Wars.

Am I missing anyone?

Grievous debuted in the Clone Wars micro series before episode III

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's not exactly the same thing, but the new Han Solo comic brought Airen Cracken back from the depths of the EU

That's awesome. I'm not a big fan of most of the EU's high-level work, but it was fun to have the universe populated by a bunch of background characters who'd had adventures disconnected from the big three.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Am I missing anyone?

I've heard that Quinlan Vos may not count because he was based on a background character from the Mos Espa scene in Episode I, or something like that.

Was Aayla Secura in a comic before she was in AOTC?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Nckdictator posted:

So, I'm reading Star Wars Art: Visions and while it's neat seeing the different styles applied to Star Wars some of the choices are...questionable.

I love that the cat is hairless.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
James Cameron apparently doesn't think much of The Force Awakens, visually. He says that George Lucas's films are more creative with their imagery. I can't say he's wrong, Force Awakens was kind of lacking in new designs and really out there creatures, mosquito party excepted.

Then again, it's not like James Cameron is a really visually creative director either. He doesn't have a monopoly on "make everything futuristic look like it came from the 80s" which he uses so often, and Avatar's visual design looked custom made to garner empathy for the aliens.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Avatar's design is bland as gently caress.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nobody but James Cameron cares what James Cameron says.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So has anyone played Lego Star Wars TFA yet? Is it as good as the original two?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard that Quinlan Vos may not count because he was based on a background character from the Mos Espa scene in Episode I, or something like that.

Was Aayla Secura in a comic before she was in AOTC?

Vos doesn't really count as "originally" being in TPM, because what happened was the artist recreated the nameless background extra from TPM entirely from memory to make the character, and it was years before it was actually retconned that that was Vos in TPM. Before it was clarified, I remember the fan debates over whether or not that was supposed to be him, like the debates over whether or not Xizor was really in TPM just because a model of him was used in the Mos Espa scene.

And Aayla was originally in a comic before AOTC, yes. I remember when AOTC came out, it was a big deal that she was in it. And actually, the same type of ship as the Wild Karrde from the Thrawn Trilogy is also briefly in AOTC (I think the scene when Anakin and Padme take off for Naboo on the refugee ship).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

And Aayla was originally in a comic before AOTC, yes. I remember when AOTC came out, it was a big deal that she was in it. And actually, the same type of ship as the Wild Karrde from the Thrawn Trilogy is also briefly in AOTC (I think the scene when Anakin and Padme take off for Naboo on the refugee ship).

Yeah, I believe there's a Wild Karrde parked near a couple of Millennium Falcons in the Naboo spaceport when they arrive.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Director Orson Krennic" apparently.

"Krennic" is a pretty good Bantam era Imperial officer name.

So he is ISB called it..... gently caress i am sad. why do i know this poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's to be sad about? Having the isb in a film is awesome. If we get a grand admiral someday double awesome. Also, I had a weird realization. All of the spinoff films, both announced and rumored, seem to be focusing around the timeframe of A New Hope or the few years before it. I'm wondering if they're not going to run dry of ideas for that time period. I'd love to see something from the pre-Prequel time periods, or something between Jedi and Force Awakens.

I wonder if the neu will do anymore tales from... books. I reread tales of the bounty hunters recently and I still enjoy the pulpy stories. Even the ig-88 as skynet story

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 5, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's to be sad about? Having the isb in a film is awesome. If we get a grand admiral someday double awesome.

I wonder if the neu will do anymore tales from... books. I reread tales of the bounty hunters recently and I still enjoy the pulpy stories. Even the ig-88 as skynet story

Well we already got Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away, which had 6 short stories about various background characters from VII (including Sir Not Appearing in This Film: Constable Zuuvio). It was a YA book rather than a regular novel like the old ones were, but otherwise it was the same basic premise

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's to be sad about? Having the isb in a film is awesome. If we get a grand admiral someday double awesome. Also, I had a weird realization. All of the spinoff films, both announced and rumored, seem to be focusing around the timeframe of A New Hope or the few years before it. I'm wondering if they're not going to run dry of ideas for that time period. I'd love to see something from the pre-Prequel time periods, or something between Jedi and Force Awakens.

I think they've been holding off on releasing much of anything set between ROTJ and TFA since they're still hammering out the details of it's aftermath in the current trilogy. Once thats done and say, they couldn't get Billy Dee to come in for a cameo, they'll release a book that covers Lando's last adventure and how he died or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Here's a cool thing. The guy who voiced General Veers in Battlefront 2 is Jamie Glover, Julian Glover's son. They sound awfully similar.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
That's pretty cool. Have seen seen or heard of anything of Veers in new Eu? I always liked him in that he was the only competent imperial in the OT. Then he gets his legs blown off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

VaultAggie posted:

That's pretty cool. Have seen seen or heard of anything of Veers in new Eu? I always liked him in that he was the only competent imperial in the OT. Then he gets his legs blown off.

Dunno about the neu, but the old EU did their best to screw him over. In one of the Tales of... stories, the Stormtrooper who says "look sir, droids!" was actually bumped down to infantryman because he pointed out to Veers that tow cables can trip AT-ATs and Veers got pissed off and pulled rank. Its like how they turned Piett into a scheming climber who pinned blame for his fuckups on other people, instead of him being the hapless guy who only succeeded at being the least lovely officer around when Vader threw a tantrum.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 5, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm reading the Wraith Squadron arc of X-Wing.

I'm actually a bit angry that it's nearly over. It's been such a good story, with some proper weird characters.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Canemacar posted:

I think they've been holding off on releasing much of anything set between ROTJ and TFA since they're still hammering out the details of it's aftermath in the current trilogy. Once thats done and say, they couldn't get Billy Dee to come in for a cameo, they'll release a book that covers Lando's last adventure and how he died or something.

If Lando doesn't show up in the sequel trilogy at all there will be a strongly-worded letter sent Lucasfilm's way. :colbert:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

If Lando doesn't show up in the sequel trilogy at all there will be a strongly-worded letter sent Lucasfilm's way. :colbert:

They will cut down on their heating bill for the next couple winters by burning all the angry letters for warmth. That's the real reason for December releases.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just read this article.

It describes how God of War director / writer / animator Cory Balrog visited Lucasfilm when he was working on the now-cancelled Star Wars: 1313 game and was allowed to read some of the scripts for the never-produced live-action TV series (which seemed to have a new progress update just about every week for a year after ROTS). This is what he says about how Palpatine would have been portrayed in the series:

quote:

"I cared about the Emperor. They made the Emperor a sympathetic figure who was wronged by this f**king heartless woman. She’s this hardcore gangster, and she just totally destroyed him as a person. I almost cried while reading this. This is the Emperor, the lightning out of the fingers Emperor. That’s something magical. The writers who worked on that, guys from The Shield and 24, these were excellent writers"

Have to admit, Palpatine's origin story isn't something I'm terribly interested in, but who knows what that might have been like?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've just read this article.

It describes how God of War director / writer / animator Cory Balrog visited Lucasfilm when he was working on the now-cancelled Star Wars: 1313 game and was allowed to read some of the scripts for the never-produced live-action TV series (which seemed to have a new progress update just about every week for a year after ROTS). This is what he says about how Palpatine would have been portrayed in the series:

Have to admit, Palpatine's origin story isn't something I'm terribly interested in, but who knows what that might have been like?

thats so retarded its not even funny. Making palpatine some jaded romantic is so dumb. I always saw Palpatine as a very charismatic sociopath with a ton of "hidden" sadism. I honestly thought the palpatine book did the best origin story they could do. because he is basically a cunning sociopath who can hide it behind a friendly face and is 5 steps ahead of his opponents and is willing to kill anyone to further his goals. making him a broken hearted romantic feels way too JK Rowling for me. dont make him loving snape.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats so retarded its not even funny. Making palpatine some jaded romantic is so dumb. I always saw Palpatine as a very charismatic sociopath with a ton of "hidden" sadism. I honestly thought the palpatine book did the best origin story they could do. because he is basically a cunning sociopath who can hide it behind a friendly face and is 5 steps ahead of his opponents and is willing to kill anyone to further his goals. making him a broken hearted romantic feels way too JK Rowling for me. dont make him loving snape.

I certainly agree. But then again, I take this guy's point that very high-quality writers are able to make even terrible ideas shine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mdemone posted:

I certainly agree. But then again, I take this guy's point that very high-quality writers are able to make even terrible ideas shine.

Ah yes, God Of War, the pinnacle of high quality writing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, the writers may very well have made that idea work, but just going off that idea it sounds terrible.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Women, am I right? Always cheating on men and forcing them to become tyrannical evil wizards...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Darth Plagueis is all the Palpatine origin story anyone should ever want or need.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nah, it was meant to have been writers from 24 and The Shield.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So glad that didn't happen, because then the Empire would have been led by TWO sad sack losers who have no idea how to handle bad news or romance. In a science fiction space opera epic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

So glad that didn't happen, because then the Empire would have been led by TWO sad sack losers who have no idea how to handle bad news or romance. In a science fiction space opera epic.

That sounds about right though.

"The Sith are born of people who are normal but unable to handle flaws and weaknesses and in doing so exacerbate those in themselves and others" is both thematically strong and makes sense for Star Wars as a whole. The Dark Side being corruptive rather than merely evil means it needs something to corrupt and Palpatine being someone who fell rather than took a diving leap while cackling madly makes more sense for what the Dark Side is portrayed to be.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

Two sad sack losers who were responsible for the death of millions, but wait? They had broken hearts? Well, then, that changes everything.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

true. but it seems they are going more of a last of us feel to the new one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ_GCPaKywg

as someone who hated/disliked god of war. this one actualy looks good/interesting.

mdemone posted:

thats very true, and if i read the real script maybe thats the case. but it just seems feels like JK rowling would do(now that she kinda sucks)

Robot Wendigo posted:

Two sad sack losers who were responsible for the death of millions, but wait? They had broken hearts? Well, then, that changes everything.

yeah, it feels to much like Snape from harry potter. and thats a bad thing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chuck Wendig's new book should be dropping in a few hours. Maybe he's improved, maybe not?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

Chuck Wendig's new book should be dropping in a few hours. Maybe he's improved, maybe not?

Nathan Butler (Star Wars Timeline Gold guy) got his copy in the mail today and reports that the book is still written in the present tense, but there aren't nearly as many sentence fragments.

Story-wise it picks up directly after the first one and follows the same style of focusing on the group of Aftermath characters with occasional interludes with film characters.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

Nathan Butler (Star Wars Timeline Gold guy) got his copy in the mail today and reports that the book is still written in the present tense, but there aren't nearly as many sentence fragments.

Story-wise it picks up directly after the first one and follows the same style of focusing on the group of Aftermath characters with occasional interludes with film characters.
Well that's good. The weird style is less discernable on audiobook but you can still sort of tell something isn't right.

I think a lot of the problems with the first book was how unlikable he made Snap at the beginning. If he's a little more mature going forward that will help.

Edit: I like Luceno's origin story for Palps myself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, going into Life Debt knowing ahead of time that this isn't the story of Han, Luke, Leia, etc between VI and VII is definitely going to help my enjoyment a lot. I had such a negative reaction to the first one simply because the marketing led me to believe one thing and I got something completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I quite enjoyed Aftermath, for all its weirdness and flaws, so I'll happily pick up the second.