Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

angrylinuxgeek posted:

heh, there is already controversy over the presentation of the blu-rays.

from the trailer here:

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article/234525/star-wars-the-complete-sagaexclusive-trailer.html

everybody flip out!!! :munch:

If you look closely at the Blu-Ray version you can see Qui-Gonn as a Force Ghost reaching out to Anakin through Darth Vader's helmet. Previously, there was not enough visual midichlorians on screen to allow this to be seen clearly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Bombadilillo posted:

Only "A" Sith. The whole of the Jedi Council can follow an absolute and what he said was true. From a certain point of view...

Moral of the story, ambiguity gives you a way out. (And Obi is a dirty liar who wanted Luke to be knee deep in his philosophy before introducing him to his biological father for fear Luke would listen to that guy instead)

"But from my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"

Case in point, free thought and opinion = evil

Makes perfect sense in Lucasworld.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Did they get Ewan McGregor to record the new Obi-Wan audio?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Jedi Knight might look like a piece of crap now, but in 1997, that poo poo was amazing. Think about it: those cut scenes are the first time you see a live action light saber since the OT, and I'll be damned if what little saberplay they show in the cut scenes doesn't beat the hell out of most of the PT. Gameplay aside (which I loved both online and off), the whole thing was more cohesive and in the spirit of Star Wars than Episodes 1, 2, or 3.

Plus Kyle Katarn is rad.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Anyone know what the hell this is? The tiny little photos all look like screenshots from an RTS or something.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Star-Wars-Legacy-of-the-Empire/185961101483030

E: Scrolled farther down the wall. What the hell kind of medium to share your post-trilogy narrative is a Facebook page? Never underestimate the power of the dork side.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
My co-workers have become bored with me knowing the answers to their Star Wars questions and trivia; they've come up with a question I consider rather pedantic and non-trivia, but good for the goonhorde.

In the original trilogy, how many humans die on-screen and are confirmed dead?

The on-screen and death confirmations are important because the destruction of the Death Star and Alderaan are not counted. I'm thinking the number will be fairly low due the ambiguity of a lot of deaths of Stormtroopers in armor, falling off random things (or into random things) and other miscellany.

I'm going to start watching them all again tonight for a good count, but results to compare against are helpful!

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
That is up for debate right now, but I would say yes, as well as the pilots whose fighters are shown exploding with no ejection.

Another good question would be if named non-humans who are decently established like Jabba count or if near-humans like Greedo or Barada count. If they can talk, they probably count.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

draize_train posted:

Well, here's one count.

I knew the internet had to be hiding this info somewhere! Thanks!

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Now even the fans can steal the Death Star plans!

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Lightsaber > Flashlight

I say this from a gameplay perspective, as well as someone who had bought the JK2 Collectors Edition with strobing lightsaber keychain.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
My experience with that server is A) There's always rumors of a wipe coming at some time in the near future, and B) there is a wipe coming, but the admins aren't going to tell you until right before they wipe because 75% of the server population will quit until after.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

And a medical droid, of course.

Ooba. Ooba.

Thank you, Ep3.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
What that guy needs is some blaster shaped earrings.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Calax posted:

Ah, but nobody remembers the true genius of old Star Wars.

I don't think anyone's forgotten; it's just mutually understood not to speak of it.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Tiny Death Star has the Lucasarts splash. I thought they were dismantled?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

William Bear posted:

Edit: I didn't recognize Phrik, so I looked it up. There are too many Lightsaber-resistant materials. It cheapens the power and value that cortosis is associated with in the early EU.

Cortosis comes from 1998's, I, Jedi, but phrik predates it, originating in the greatest Star Wars games of all time, 1995's Dark Forces.

:goonsay:

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Say what you will but those FMV cut scenes in Jedi Knight were the first real lightsabers since Return of the Jedi. Way better than the prequels at that.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Every time that dude pops up with his panic face I think of Tag and Bink. They should get one of the spin-offs.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Kyle Katarn was a stormtrooper in the novelization of Dark Forces. Not a clone.

Kir Kanos and Carnor Jax (along with all or most of the imperial guard hopefuls) were also stormtroopers at the beginning of Crimson Empire.

Isn't a plot point somewhere that the Jango clones start deteriorating deteriorating going crazy after 15 or 20 years, and by A New Hope they're mostly enlisted stormtroopers?

I prefer the world where stormtroopers are actual people. Adds more weight to their ill-deeds.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
It's pronounced "ex-ec-u-tor." The alternate in question is not a word. An executor executes commands and orders. An executioner administers executions.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I was about to check out the Battle of Jakku on Wookieepedia, but then remembered it hasn't happened yet. So there's no list of every character, species, faction, vehicle, armament, droid type, or anything else yet.

I don't think even at RotS time we had anything even remotely close, save the reference books, to what we have now in so far as catalogued information on every detail of Star Wars. It's pretty cool, after having gotten so used to having it, that everyone is in the dark together.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Luke Lars was not a name Obi Wan felt he could live up to.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I haven't actually finished watching Clone Wars, and I'm in the middle of all the Ventress, Maul/Opress and younglings plots.

Should I finish watching this plotline, the whole series, or whatever before Dark Disciple? Does it even matter?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I did not catch at all until I was looking to see if Grunberg died or not.

Grunberg is Temmin from Aftermath all grown up.

BRING MR BONES TO FILM

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Grunberg lives to Grunberg another day!

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Is it stated somewhere that Starkiller Base is a hollowed out planet? Why is it assumed that rather than a giant weapon/base that is terraformed into a semi-habitable surface?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Gammatron 64 posted:

The First Order has less resources than the Galactic Empire so I doubt they could build a full Death Star that was even bigger and if they did, why would they bother terraforming it? And terraform it into a cold rear end snow planet?

But they do have the resources to hollow out a planet, fill it with a massive base, and create a giant weapon that is otherwise unheard of in its functionality in - universe?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

ImpAtom posted:

The Starkiller is not supposed to be a narrative escalation of the Death Star. The fact that it is bigger and more grandiose while also being more flawed and lesser when you look at it is intentional. That is every single bit of the First Order and is most firmly embodied by Kylo "I really loving wish I was Darth Vader" Ren.

Like the First Order is basically just an extension of Kylo Ren. It wants to be big and scary and is threatening but that is a cover for its innate weaknesses. They are the Empire's wannabes and even though they can hurt people they're still lesser.

That really clicked for me after watching it a couple more times. Whenever the First Order aren't ambushing someone undefended, The Resistance comes in and beats the hell out of them in every engagement.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
From the Battlefront thread:

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://swbstats.com/

Currently online players

PC: 4,026 (24h peak: 4,930)

XBOXONE: 8,861 (24h peak: 20,654)

PS4: 18,949 (24h peak: 30,493)

So yeah PC remains quite dead, though not as dead as Hardline. But it's weird that the large game modes would be first to go. Also no Heroes vs Villains, that was the best mode.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Dark Forces: Jedi Knight had orange, yellow, and purple sabers well before the prequels. They're not canon, but they were in the cutscenes and storyline, not just as MP options.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
"What can you possibly hate to make you more powerful than me?"

"Myself." as he stabs Darth Maul through his own chest.

poo poo is deep.

Unctuous Cretin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 22, 2017

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I'm not judging, I remember having conversations with friends at the time about how dark it was.

Edit: the most important / worst part is that we were arguably adults at the time.

Unctuous Cretin fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 23, 2017

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
If you've never played Dark Forces / Jedi Knight series it's totally worth it. Academy is kinda dumb story wise, but it always seemed like they were just taking on a SP campaign to a multiplayer game.

Why the hell do I want to be Kyle Katarn's dorky apprentice when I've spent the last 3 games as him (MotS not withstanding)?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Lemniscate Blue posted:

MotS missions were a little disjointed, but that final sequence when you confront Kyle Katarn is simply excellent Star Wars gaming. One of the underrated great bits from LFG of old.

Plus colored lighting.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Looking back on them now, yeah, they're awful. At the time, though. drat. Pretty sure when those lightsabers ignited that was the first time an actual live action lightsaber ignited since the trilogy. And that was amazing to me as a kid.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, I keep getting the feeling that being Force-sensitive in Star Wars is a curse, not a blessing. Don't know of any story that takes that mentality, someone strong in the Force who considers it a detriment and just tries to get on with life as a normal person.

I pretty much only exist in this thread to slob the knob of Kyle Katarn, but after the events of Jedi Knight he says "screw it" and suppresses anything to do with the force. Obviously that only lasts until some dinosaur dude kidnaps his girlfriend, but it fits.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I know it's a Star Wars deathmatch game and the trailer is just to show that, and that there's plenty more immediately following, but the canon-smashing implications of Darth Maul leading a CIS attack was jarring.

He's a bad guy and droids are bad guys, so same team! But... jarring.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Casimir Radon posted:

There are some instances of *Unintelligible alien words with subtitles

Those all start to sound the same once you've heard them all halfway through Taris

Jedipadawananina

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I'm surprised the idea of Sheev or some other Jedi/Sith/Force Witch else just straight up mind wiping Shmi after doing the deed hasn't really ever been implied.

Extra Ep8 Edit LOLs: the whole Skywalker line is just Palatines and Rey is actually the Emperor's new body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Watching the prequels this weekend because... I have no idea.

But! Happy to report that dooku.net is still up and running.