Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Zoran posted:

The next one starts right where TFA left off, with Rey holding out the saber and everything.

This is still the weirdest thing to me. How do you even do the opening crawl? The only thing it could cover (without being a TFA recap) is what Ren & Co were up to in the day/week/month (?) between Starkiller exploding and Rey finding Luke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I never thought I'd be so excited to see a "steal the Death Star plans" movie, but here we are. :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

punchymcpunch posted:

In my opinion, Star Wars Episode 7 was a sequel to Star Wars Episode 6.

Episode 7 featured an orphan and a smartass teaming up to destroy a big weapon, so I think you'll find that it's actually a remake of 4. This is an entirely objective analysis, not at all influenced by a desire to be edgy.

:rolleyes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You'll probably get your wish. I doubt any of the main characters are gonna make it to the end credits.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
IIRC, he was promoted to oversee all Lucasfilm animation, adding more fuel to the rumor that they want to start an Indiana Jones show in the near future.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lake Jucas posted:

Anyone want to start a deadpool as to who of the main cast (Jyn - Cassian - Chirrut - Baze - K-2S0 - Bodhi) dies first? My money is on Chirrut in some heroic last stand, and then they start getting picked off one-by-one.

Chirrut is easy money, followed by Baze as he takes on 20 troops or something to avenge his friend or buy the team time. Bohdi will either die in the cockpit while getting Jyn and Cassian to the last act or he'll survive to the end. K-2 will either die protecting Cassian or K-2 and Cassian will both die protecting Jyn. I'd be extremely surprised if anyone other than Jyn makes it to the credits. I wouldn't even be surprised if Jyn bites it. Rogue One is gonna look like the end of King Lear.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 14, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
IIRC, Tarkin (the novel) implied Tarkin was in charge of the overall Death Star program and its construction. I haven't read it yet, but people who've read Catalyst say it paints Krennic as a sort of upper-middle manager on the project who desperately wants Tarkin's job.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

From what I remember, the last year or so of Dark Horse's run they had Legacy Vol. II (which I actually liked, it had a very unique approach and feel... honestly, a bit like the best aspects of TFA in retrospect) and the Brian Wood Star Wars series (which I never got into) as their two ongoings, a rotating number of Darth Vader miniseries, and an additional miniseries roughly in between the Vader releases. Ironically, between the Brian Wood series and the 8 issue adaptation of the original Star Wars rough draft screenplay, I think their last year with the license was a major upsurge for Dark Horse's Star Wars sales.

I know when the original run of Legacy was going, it was regularly Dark Horse's second best selling comic behind Buffy. I think KOTOR did decent numbers as well, at least by DH standards. Does anyone have numbers of how Marvel's various Star Wars series sell in comparison to stuff like X-Men or Secret Wars II or whatever? Now that the initial Star Wars fervor has died down, I'm curious what the numbers are like.

That first draft adaptation comic was really awesome in a "I can't believe how different this could have been" way. I reallly miss the KOTOR comic too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Emilia Clarke has joined the cast of the untitled Han Solo film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh gently caress. is she a big role because if she is, that movie is hosed. she is a terrible actress. she isn't that good GoT and she was loving terrible in that new terminator. hopefully the others can balance it out.

No details beyond the standard "joins an ensemble cast" etc.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Making Star Wars isn't even a decent site to read, it's simply the site that's usually first to report stuff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

Every justification for why Lando wasn't in TFA falls flat given that they included Nien Nunb in it.

It doesn't seem like Billy Dee Williams is going to be in episode 8 either, at any rate.

Billy Dee Williams can barely walk and, like Wedge, probably didn't want to deal with travel and hours in costuming for a split second cameo. You can literally put the Nunb mask on anyone. Besides, Billy Dee still voices Lando on Rebels so it's not as if he's been excluded from Disney Star Wars projects.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That TFA cash buys a lot of prop-planes and earrings

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There's plenty of legitimately interesting discussion and analysis in CD. However, it usually gets buried between page-long posts by CD regulars desperately stretching to make connections that don't exist or were never the intent of anyone involved in the production. It's an entire forum full of high-functioning autists with film degrees.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

General Battuta posted:

CD is good and helped me understand why I like the way some movies look better than others. For example, this explanation of why Empire looks better than Jedi is something I never could have done on my own, which might lead me to call it 'overthinking' — except it's true and good!

You can just scroll past the conversations you don't enjoy.

This is what I mean. The kind of analysis you link to is great and interesting. It defines an aspect of the film in a well-documented manner and highlights something the average viewer probably recognized but couldn't specify. It's far better than the 15th pseudo-philosophical take on whether or not the droids are slaves and that's why there aren't any actual "good guys" in Star Wars.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Worth watching, but I was not feeling it at all until the last 45 minutes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I understood everyone's motivation, I just didn't give a poo poo about the flat or irritating characters. That team should have been Jyn, Chirrut, and Baze. No one else is worth mentioning.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

ImpAtom posted:

I thought the droid was okay. :smith:

I can see why folks would like him, but I personally found him irritating. He's a low-rent C-3PO and it got old after the Jedha scenes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

How is the music? I was bummed out when they said desplat had been replaced by giacchino

Very ill-fitting for a Star Wars score. There's a central theme that he kept trying to tie to big moments and it's easily one of the worst things he's ever composed. I usually like Giacchino, even if he's kinda paint-by-numbers, but this is a really weak score that's just tonally wrong for Star Wars. I really hope he's not the go-to for the spinoffs or Williams' inevitable replacement.

I'd pay good money to hear what little Desplat completed before leaving.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Megachile posted:

Are you all complaining about the performances/in the moment characterization, or did you want more backstory or just downtime or what?

This is going to sound really stupid and I expect to have this criticism torn apart, but for me it's because Rogue One has very little heart or emotion. It's technically impressive and everything looks incredible, from the beat up trooper armor to the CG space battles. But then the movie asks you to give a poo poo about the characters and I just can't. There aren't any bad performances, the dialogue isn't aggressively bad, and everyone has a motivation (even if some are a bit thin), you're just not given enough time to care about anyone other than Jyn or Cassian. Everyone praises K2, but can you recall anything about him other than "blunt sarcastic droid'? Chirrut had the potential to be a great character (an actual Journal of the Whills reference!), but like every other side character he's given 10 lines and a hero moment and then he's sidelined so Jyn and Cassian can get back to glaring at each other. Chirrut's likeability has more to do with Donnie Yen than than the fictional character we're supposed to be invested in.

Now, normally, this wouldn't be a problem in a big ensemble heist film. Ocean's 11 is full of one-note characters that get a handful of lines and then fade into the background. But Rogue One starts killing these characters off and you're supposed to feel something, anything, and you just don't. When these characters start dropping like flies, it should have been this montage of loss that shows the futility of the Rebel struggle and the brutality of the Empire. Instead, it's a checklist that the movie goes through while the audience sits there going "ok, next, next, now it's Bodhi's turn, next..." The only deaths with any real weight and emotion are Chirrut and (maybe) the terrified Rebels that Vader slaughters.

I don't know, the movie just feels a bit muddled. Maybe it'll improve with a second viewing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SirPhoebos posted:

[*]I'm okay with planets getting nameplates as they're introduced, but for whatever reason they forget to include it for the planet with Vader's lava-fortress (which btw I thought was a cool inclusion otherwise). Is that supposed to be Mustafar? If so why is Vader hanging out in the place he once got his rear end kicked?

I liked that, actually. The Sith are all about dwelling on misery and anger, so the planet where you strangled your pregnant wife and had your limbs lopped off by your former mentor and best friend would be a perfect spot for your brood-tower.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Antequek posted:

The Prophet hath spoken

Man, I even had the order right.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Josh Trank was going to do the Boba Fett movie, but his behavior during and after production on F4ntastic pretty much killed it. It's not clear if it was related to the Han Solo movie or separate from it, but Disney doesn't seem to have any immediate future plans for Fett. The Seven Samurai-type film has been floating around as a rumored idea ever since Disney announced they'd be doing anthology films. IIRC, it was originally rumored to be a pitch from Zach Snyder right after the buyout. None of the usual sites have heard anything about it in years, so I doubt it's happening.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
gently caress this chickenshit year

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
At this rate, it's going to take 30 minutes to get through the Oscars "In Memoriam" segment.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

gently caress this chickenshit year

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I looked at the Rogue One visual guide, and holy poo poo, the stuff that Dr. Everzan and Ponda Baba were up to on Jedha are disturbing as gently caress. Jesus H. Christ, the Decraniated are the stuff of loving nightmares. :stare: I kinda hope those things don't show up again. Death sentence in 12 systems is right.

I was curious, so I looked this up.

Goddrat :stare:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SirPhoebos posted:

One part of the Rogue One Visual Guide that interests me is that it mentions that the Star Destroyers in this film (and Ep IV) are Imperial i class, and that Vader's ship is the last to be produced before the Empire switched to producing Imperial ii class. So what's the difference? Is is basically some sperg noticing a difference in the models between A New Hope and Empire?

Essentially, yeah. I think the only difference is the thing on top of the command bridge/tower.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
https://mobile.twitter.com/starwars/status/819217391951355904

Rumors from early in the month suggested he'd be playing a mentor-type character to Han.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Do any of these companies make a decent Obi-Wan ANH saber that doesn't break the bank?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like... it's pretty likely Luke had a wife, one that is now probably dead and murdered by Kylo Ren so you might as well just say she was Mara Jade because she won't be appearing in the movies anyway.

I'm unsure if that would thrill EU diehards or simply make them angrier.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm almost certain it's intentional, to make them look like the old Kenner action figures. Everyone but Zeb has square shoulders and T-hips.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Those embossed chromed Young Jedi Knights covers were the coolest goddamn thing when I was 8.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really miss painted covers for paperbacks. The Japanese covers for NJO were fantastic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mondo Beefhead Tribesmen deserves to be a canon name

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

VaultAggie posted:

Matt fraction did one of the best hawkeye stories out there, so I'll happily read whatever Star Wars thing he puts out.

Also wrote Sex Criminals, another great comic. Greg Rucka is a comic writer as well. Kieron Gillen wrote the recent Vader comic and a series for Image called The Wicked + The Divine. Kelly Sue DeConnick wrote Captain Marvel and Bitch Planet. Ken Liu wrote the English translation of the excellent The Three-Body Problem. Christine Golden wrote several old-EU books (and a new one I think?).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
- It sucks that the alt-right has directly/indirectly gotten another genre creator fired.
- It shouldn’t really be a surprise since he’s been fighting with twitter idiots since day 1 and 2018 has shown that companies won’t tolerate people who are potential social media liabilities anymore.
- I don’t agree with why he was fired, but I won’t miss him writing for Star Wars because his style was grating and he wasn’t a great author.

Maybe now a more skilled author will be able to use characters like Sinjir and Snap.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cross-Section posted:

Who says he's not writing for Star Wars novels anymore? He was fired from Marvel, not Del Rey or Lucasfilm.

He mentioned he was also taken off an announced SW book and I had interpreted that to be a novel, but I suppose he could have just been referring to another comic.

He also said he believed this was a Marvel decision, not Lucasfilm. Lucasfilm hasn’t put out a statement of any kind to my knowledge, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know it's not technically book related but has anyone seen those galaxy of adventures shorts? I'd rather talk with you guys than Wade through the poo poo in CineD or TVIV. I saw the Cloud City duel and it's probably the best piece of star wars animation I've watched since Otaking's Tie Fighter anime.

The TVIV thread is fairly chill and at least half of the posters in this thread make up that thread.