Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The irony is that "winter is coming" is supposed to be a humbling reminder for who speaks it. Wendig, like Gunn, clearly could use some humility after his slanderous tweets.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

They were both rude and maybe a bit aggressive but I don't think they slandered anyone.

I don't remember the rules, though. Is a tweet libellous or slanderous? I forget which is which.

Slander is spoken. When it’s written it’s libel. So says the documentary, Spider-man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Slander is spoken. When it’s written it’s libel. So says the documentary, Spider-man.

It's kind of sad how much of my law degree I've forgotten. :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Jakku is Tatooine

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tatooine is Arrakis

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're both Barsoom.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hosnian Prime is Coruscant.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hosnian Prime is Coruscant.

edit: this isn't the CD thread so this joke doesn't work as well!!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

It's all RIFTS.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Interesting, to me at least, nerd calendar dating minutia from Pablo's latest book:

https://swreference.wordpress.com/2018/10/08/new-in-universe-calendar-dating-system/

I had seen him refer to his real world dating system before, and I think I honestly prefer it to the BBY/ABY system. At least it seemingly makes more sense in-universe to me. It seems like the galaxy would have an accepted 0 date from the founding(?) of the big galaxy spanning government versus some reset due to a battle. Dates from the book:

• TPM: 7945
  • AotC: 7955
  • TCW: 7955-7958
  • RotS: 7958
  • Solo: 7964 and 7967
  • Rebels: 7972-7977
  • Rogue One: 7977
  • ANH: 7977
  • ESB: 7980
  • RotJ: 7981
  • Battle of Jakku: 7982
  • Resistance and the ST: 8011

So ANH was the founding point, 1977 becomes 7977. And all the rest of the movies/shows/books are plugged into the timeline relative to how far removed they're supposed to take place from it. So ESB takes places 3 years after in-universe, so it's 7980, RotJ is one year after that, so 7981, the Sequel trilogy is 30 years after that, so 8011, etc.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Thrawn Treason was announced. Appears to take place during the last Rebels season.

https://www.starwars.com/news/get-a-first-look-at-timothy-zahns-thrawn-treason-exclusive

StarWars.com posted:

Grand Admiral Thrawn faces the ultimate test of his loyalty to the Empire in this epic Star Wars novel from bestselling author Timothy Zahn.

“If I were to serve the Empire, you would command my allegiance.”

Such was the promise Grand Admiral Thrawn made to Emperor Palpatine at their first meeting. Since then, Thrawn has been one of the Empire’s most effective instruments, pursuing its enemies to the very edges of the known galaxy. But as keen a weapon as Thrawn has become, the Emperor dreams of something far more destructive.

Now, as Thrawn’s TIE defender program is halted in favor of Director Krennic’s secret Death Star project, he realizes that the balance of power in the Empire is measured by more than just military acumen or tactical efficiency. Even the greatest intellect can hardly compete with the power to annihilate entire planets.

As Thrawn works to secure his place in the Imperial hierarchy, his former protégé Eli Vanto returns with a dire warning about Thrawn’s homeworld. Thrawn’s mastery of strategy must guide him through an impossible choice: duty to the Chiss Ascendancy, or fealty to the Empire he has sworn to serve. Even if the right choice means committing treason.

Star Wars: Thrawn: Treason will be available for pre-order next week and arriving on shelves in the summer of 2019.

Hopefully we'll see some jockeying between Thrawn, Tarkin and Krennic.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
For the first time, I’m tentatively excited for a Thrawn book. I loved the first one, but Alliances didn’t do anything for me. Neither of the plot lines really interested me and the Vader/Thrawn dynamic wasn’t nearly as intriguing as I thought it would be.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hmm... will Thrawn choose loyalty to the Chiss or loyalty to the Empire?

I can't wait to find out the answer to that, in this book set prior to the end of Rebels where he remains an Imperial Grand Admiral.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I've got low expectations for the third Thrawn book. Alliances was a bad miss and taken together the first two books don't even work well as the first two parts of a trilogy, so this future third book is already hobbled by that. Like where's the tension coming off of Alliances? I guess stuff with Eli Vanto could be interesting but I'd just as soon read a book about Vanto and the Chiss that didn't include the Empire or Thrawn at all. Vanto is already a combination of Car'das and Pellaeon, which is an easy setup for a fish out of water story set among the Chiss.

I hope Zahn actually gives Thrawn some dynamism and flaws in this third book. He's just been so bloody boring to read lately.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know it's not technically book related but has anyone seen those galaxy of adventures shorts? I'd rather talk with you guys than Wade through the poo poo in CineD or TVIV. I saw the Cloud City duel and it's probably the best piece of star wars animation I've watched since Otaking's Tie Fighter anime.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know it's not technically book related but has anyone seen those galaxy of adventures shorts? I'd rather talk with you guys than Wade through the poo poo in CineD or TVIV. I saw the Cloud City duel and it's probably the best piece of star wars animation I've watched since Otaking's Tie Fighter anime.

The TVIV thread is fairly chill and at least half of the posters in this thread make up that thread.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Found in a stack of trivia cards in a nerdy bar here in Orlando. My nerd rage is strong. I mean, I can make an argument for all 4, but the top 2 are definitely both right. But then the Shaw is listed as the correct answer? What the gently caress.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Found in a stack of trivia cards in a nerdy bar here in Orlando. My nerd rage is strong. I mean, I can make an argument for all 4, but the top 2 are definitely both right. But then the Shaw is listed as the correct answer? What the gently caress.

I don't think you can make a solid case for the latter 2.

I'm really wondering who they're thinking Jake Lloyd was.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Darth TNT posted:

I don't think you can make a solid case for the latter 2.

I'm really wondering who they're thinking Jake Lloyd was.

It comes down to whether you believe the whole, "Anakin truly died and became Darth Vader" thing or that Darth Vader IS Anakin Skywalker, but yeah, like I said, the top 2 are definitely the right answers.

I'm thinking the card was supposed to end with, "in Return of the Jedi".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jake Lloyd played Kid Anakin and Hayden Christensen played Teen Anakin and Young Anakin. Shaw was just Anakin.

Like how Goku and Kid Goku are separate characters in the Dragon Ball video games.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

when were the cards printed? if they were at the peak of nerd anti-prequels hysteria, well, there's your answer why

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Star Wars fans are hysterical people at the best of times.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

They tricked you, that's "Jake Lloyd." not "Jake Lloyd".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
EDIT. Actually, never mind. This stuff looks way too much like a conspiracy nut to me.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 22, 2018

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I missed this when it first happened but apparently Claudia Gray, who fans are upholding as the best of the new EU authors, included some Nazi propaganda in Leia, Princess of Alderaan:

quote:

The first printing of the book contained the words "Strength through joy," with Leia Organa atributing them to an Alderaanian philosopher. The words were also coincidentally used as a slogan by Nazi Germany. This generated much controversy on social media platforms, such as Twitter, which led to a response by a Disney–Lucasfilm Press PR representative with a quote by the author of the novel, Claudia Gray, claiming she did not know the real-life history of the phrase when she wrote the book and apologised for its used in such context.[4] The phrase was changed to "Joy drives out fear" in later editions of the novel.[5]

Gray apologized, of course:

quote:

"I've learned that one 3-word phrase in LPOA was something used in Third Reich propaganda. Obviously, I'm horrified. I never would have included it, had I been aware of the historical use of this phrase. My error was one of ignorance, and I'm incredibly sorry."

and on the one hand: lmao. Imagine admitting to the world that your books are published in like 17 languages but not only are you not able to recognize common slogans of the Third Reich but you are so unfamiliar with them that you come up with them on your own. And that's the BEST possible interpretation of the situation. I guess none of the Disney readers, editors, or anyone in the story group noticed either, which is a further lmao. But then if you've read Lost Stars one of the main protags is unrepentantly a fascist, as a natural but unfortunate consequence of her extreme sense of honor, and the character does not question it or get her comeuppance at any point in the book, and you're like. Wait a minute. Remember how Chuck Wendig had Wedge defend the guys giving orders to the TIE fighters, justifying their actions in the text with "the Imperials are just like us" (not an exaggeration, that's a direct quote)?

So we can draw a few conclusions here. First is that these star wars novelists sure do seem to love those Nazis, as they pratfall into a heap of fascist references and blurred lines in incredibly weak attempts to add complexity to characters, or when they outright set out to justify fascism. Second is that Disney either loves Nazis too or has terrible quality control and oversight when it comes to EU stuff, no surprise there. Third is that the story group is definitely a fiction, but I guess we knew that already.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Claudia Gray: maybe this character, an avatar of good spirit who sacrifices and fights for the downtrodden and oppressed, could take inspiration from a pithy phrase about how work... leads to freedom... lemme workshop this a bit

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Where's jivjov when you need him: to struggle in vain to explain that hillaryleia being a nazi is not canon

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No Mods No Masters posted:

Where's jivjov when you need him: to struggle in vain to explain that hillaryleia being a nazi is not canon

[citation needed]

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Van Dis posted:

I missed this when it first happened but apparently Claudia Gray, who fans are upholding as the best of the new EU authors, included some Nazi propaganda in Leia, Princess of Alderaan:

this is why i come to this thread

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Would a Nazi be the target of failed bombing plot during a government meeting? :colbert:

Because that happens in Bloodline, a novel by Claudia Gray.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Given that it was an accidental reference that's been changed in the digital versions and presumably for future printings....

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'll be honest: I wouldn't have recognized "strength through joy" as a Nazi slogan either. There are much more recognizable explicitly Nazi phrases.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, I’ve watched my fair share of Nazi and Hitler documentaries on The History Channel and Netflix, and read a few books on the Nazi’s rise to power, and I’ve never heard that phrase before. She used a phrase she didn’t know was used by Nazis, apologized, and fixed it moving forward. There’s not much to see here.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is Bloodlines better at aligning book Leia with film Leia? I feel like I've never read a book where I felt like Leia's dialogue or internal monologues reflected the character I see on the screen?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

tadashi posted:

Is Bloodlines better at aligning book Leia with film Leia? I feel like I've never read a book where I felt like Leia's dialogue or internal monologues reflected the character I see on the screen?

I enjoyed the way Martha Wells wrote her in Razor's Edge. Leia is the p-o-v character and comes across most like the Leia from the OT than any other incarnation, for my money. The book takes place between ANH and Empire and decently captures the sloppy scrambling of the young rebellion. The growing tension between Leia and Han feels real without resorting to melodrama, probably because it's not the focus of the book, just there to add some character depth. The book has a few weak points, like the fact that the moral crisis experienced by a supporting character (Metara) is extremely simplistic, even for a star wars novel, and the fact that the secret traitor is about as subtle as a neon sign, but overall I enjoyed it and Leia's presentation specifically. Wells trained as an anthropologist and is known for realistic-feeling worldbuilding in her books, and she does a good job of evoking the tone of the original movies and building on it without diluting everything with cartoony caricature.

As a bonus, none of the characters justify space fascism or accidentally spout off Nazi slogans.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is all consistent with a movie series where the first picture ends with the good guys re-enacting Triumph of the Will. :v:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I knew what Strength Through Joy was only because of Jonathan Meades' Jerry Building. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt because I'm not histrionic internet person.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

just avoid "x through y" slogans in general, they're all nazi-sounding even if they aren't literal fascist slogans

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

This is all consistent with a movie series where the first picture ends with the good guys re-enacting Triumph of the Will. :v:

I feel one visual reference is not quite ''re-enacting'' the whole thing, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbEEQxtnkHE

It's... pretty close.