Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chairman Capone posted:

This was explicitly the case in the old EU. One of the Battlefront games even had a level where the Empire shuts down the Kamino facilities.

It was a pretty neat level at that, and the story made sense. The Kaminoans decided that the Galactic Empire wasn't exactly what they had signed up to create an army for, and rebelled, creating a new clone army to fight for them. What ensues is the only time in the game where Imperial stormtroopers fight clone soldiers, and it ends with the Empire deciding that an army of clones of one man is too susceptible to corruption, and so the Imperial military begins recruiting a diverse range of soldiers and cloning the best of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, especially in the EU where the civilian politicians are always the corrupt, manipulative would-be dictators and the soldiers are always the brave, honorable, always-right, virtuous, pro-democracy people.

The Star Wars EU was written by Tom Clancy?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ceebees posted:

expounded at length upon which existing characters were monsters for disagreeing with her (i've blocked enough out of my memory that i can't remember, but i feel like Mengele explicitly came up?)

Oh, it did. Doctor Halsey is a morally ambiguous figure at the best of times and the entire Spartan-2 program is extremely sketchy on a moral basis, but calling her a modern Mengele came completely from out of left field and she spent that book a cackling mad scientist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drone posted:

I have a feeling she'd gently caress up Dark Angels somehow. I don't know how, or why, but it would happen.

I have a feeling she'd latch on to the Raven Guard. She's big on misunderstood noble savages, and the Raven Guard have gotten a distinct Native American theme going recently.

That or she'd opt for Imperial Guard and make them like the Ghosts but capable of one-handedly taking down Space Marines.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pentyne posted:

Steam has battlefront 2, but it only works if there's a male AV port plugged into the microphone jack. Weirdest glitch ever.

Also works if you enable stereo sound for some reason, though doing that has subsequently caused general sound glitches on my computer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chairman Capone posted:

One of my favorite real-world Denning things was reading an interview with him where he said the reason he just has everyone (Alliance, Chiss, Empire, Hapans, etc) use Star Destroyers in his book is because he has trouble visualizing new designs in his head that aren't from the movies. Which I always felt two things in response:

1) If you're going to limit yourself to movie designs, why not just have the New Republic/Galactic Alliance us Mon Calamari cruises, like they do in the movie, rather than just copying Imperial designs?

2) Much, much more importantly, what the gently caress kind of Star Wars author has so little imagination that they can't even come up with new ships and are limited to using the absolute most iconic movie design?

I always felt that there was a simple answer for why everyone uses Star Destroyers in-universe: it's a drat good starship and by the end of the movies everyone's either stolen the blueprints or acquired one and produced copies of it. Why use your own home-grown design when there's this really excellent battleship design already available?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Geonosis has been depicted as an important Rebel world in a few video games and books, too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine that's just a question of revisiting movie worlds because they're recognisable. I mean, Obi-Wan took Luke to Tatooine because a) it was a backwater overrun by gangsters to the galaxy at large, and b) more specifically, he knew it was somewhere Vader would never, ever go if he could help it. In the years since, it's revisited in every game, it's the site of major battles in both of the main galactic wars, and it's even hinted to be the world where the human race originated. Same deal with Hoth, as a matter of fact.

True, though Geonosis being a key Rebel world does make sense story-wise. Geonosis was already a hotbed of rebellion against the Galactic Republic and it makes sense that it would remain that way against the Empire.

Honestly, that's something I wish Star Wars would go into more heavily: what about people and factions supporting the Rebellion for genuinely selfish, even evil reasons. I enjoyed how in Empire at War: Forces of Corruption, it ends with the galaxy's most powerful crime syndicate propping up the Rebellion and taking on the Empire because the New Republic will be so much easier to corrupt and be easier on crime than the Empire has been. "I've always wanted to own a senator."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Casimir Radon posted:

I guess they were in Legacy but I never had any interest in it. Soldier for the Empire states the Palpatine hates women almost as much as he does aliens.

AKA "Lucas used only vaguely British white guys for Imperial extras in the movies, so therefore they're all vaguely British white guys and we have to come up with a reason for that."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chairman Capone posted:

Not in any canon thing, I don't think. Although they're still in the Fantasy Flight cards and The Old Republic, both of which are being continued despite being "Legends".

Promotional art also makes it look like Thrawn is going to be around in some capacity, so presumably the Chiss are being kept.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

No, I feel the same way. Thrawn's kind of ridiculous in a bad way. I'm perfectly fine with "he studied Admiral Ackbar's art and understands his mindset" but when it extends beyond a certain point it just becomes kind of laughable.

I think Thrawn's enjoyable when he and Pellaeon are kept as a double act - they were originally written as Sherlock Holmes and Watson in Star Wars. They could be interesting antagonists in a movie, or just as cameos.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Casimir Radon posted:

Or he's just taken a wholistic approach to studying the enemy, art being part of that.

I like the theory that the art stuff is just bullshitting on his part. He's a genuine lover of art for its own sake, but passes off his love for it as tied into his military genius for either simple amusement or to justify him bringing his art collection on board a warship.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Casimir Radon posted:

Heir to the Jedi was good. I'm still not entirely sold on the decision to go for a first-person perspective, but it does get you inside Luke's head at a time when he's really vulnerable and unsure of himself, quite the antithesis of the silly poo poo EU authors had him doing in the 90's before The Hand of Thrawn mocked it to death. It's a bit rough but I still enjoyed it.

I, Jedi is also pretty decent. I can do without Corran Horn himself, but that book's portrayal of the Jedi and how people react to them is one of my favorites.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jazerus posted:

Zsinj is the superior EU Imperial, let's all be honest. No fancy tricks, just a Super Star Destroyer.

You could probably replace Pellaeon with Zsinj for a movie. Double act of two brilliant Imperial admirals, one who enjoys acting like a buffoon to throw people off-guard and one who analyzes people at a glance.

Hell, for the EU reboot you could do a lot worse than having the Empire ruled by a triumvirate of Zsinj, Thrawn, and Isard after the Emperor's death.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Van Dis posted:

It's infinitely better without either of those things.

Kyp Durron is fine with I, Jedi pointing out that holy goddamn poo poo did Luke gently caress up. The notion of Luke loving up badly with an apprentice because he tries to draw from his own warped and extreme training is an idea with a lot of juice to it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Might be one of the main characters pulling a disguised rescue or turning on his buddies.

The latter is probable, given that we've apparently got a stormtrooper as an important character (the black guy).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Carteret posted:

The "first Canon LGBT character!" bit is overplayed. If you weren't paying attention you'd miss it, and it is more along the lines of hair or eye color than character defining plot point, which is how it should be done, really.

She's not the first canon LGBT character, either. Traviss had a gay Mandalorian couple in one of her books, and KOTOR had a gay party member, with her ex as an NPC.

Although if you count, almost every LGBT character in Star Wars is evil or has close brushes with such. Two Mandalorians, a Moff, a fallen Jedi who can potentially return to the light, and a Jedi who can fall to the dark side depending on what you do. If you count TOR, add a few dodgy mercenaries, two Sith Lords, a megacorp officer, and a morally dodgy Republic spy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jivjov posted:

Those are Legends now.

They did say KOTOR and TOR are still canon until and unless it's later decided otherwise, though.

And at any rate it's beside the point. The moff lady isn't the first LGBT character in Star Wars, though outside of TOR they've always been footnote characters and have always had histories or been actively affiliated with the evil side of things.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jivjov posted:

Everything that's not the films, the Clone Wars, Rebels, the new Marvel comics, and the 4 newest novels is Legends. Including TOR and KotOR.

However, IIRC they also said that they have no plans to touch the KOTOR/TOR era for the time being and that they should be assumed to be canon unless new material addresses that time period.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jivjov posted:

Unless you've got a source, that's inaccurate. They explicitly listed out what is canon and the remainder is Legends. I know TOR is one of the last remaining ongoing Legends stories, but just because they're still putting out content for it doesn't mean its not still Legends

Fine, whatever. Pedantic point that had nothing to do with my original post has been made and understood.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drone posted:

That Star Wars will beat Star Trek to its first canonically-gay character leaves me feeling frustratingly ambivalent. On the one hand, Star Wars could use more social commentary, so hooray. On the other hand, the sci-fi film/TV franchise that basically invented televised social commentary is missing out :sigh:

And it amuses me to no end that Warhammer 40k beat them both to it. The sci-fi setting whose tagling is "In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war" has more and more positive depictions of gay characters than Star Trek (if we count book characters and actors offering their interpretations of the characters) and Star Wars combined.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drone posted:

I'm no massive expert in 40k lore, but I thought the stuff there was never overt? I mean they're eight feet tall Space Marines, they're all big heaping piles of testosterone, of course they probably gently caress each other. But I've never seen a case where it was outright referenced that like... Battle Brother Brutus was banging Librarian Lucius or something.

I've heard the whole Lion El'Jonson / Luther thing being done in the context of a gay relationship before, but I thought that was just speculation (besides the Lion's name being taken from a well-known gay poet IRL).

Edit: and I've heard same-sex themes when it comes to the Blood Angels too, but there it never went beyond childish "but they like pretty things!" and "they have a fixation with nipples and pecs".

Has absolutely nothing to do with Space Marines. There's been a fair few gay and lesbian Imperial Guardsmen, Imperial Navy officers, and civilians in various books. One lesbian couple even saves the day for the only good guys left in the book in one of the Horus Heresy novels when the girlfriend of one of them returns at the last second out of love to get them off-planet before doom for that planet arrives.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirPhoebos posted:

OTOH, homosexuality is heavily associated with Slaanesh and the fall of the Eldar. So any points Warhammer gets for progressive portrayals is diminished because, well, 'alien gay orgies created homo-Satan and opened a portal to hell' sounds like something out of a Jack Chick comic.

Erm, that's not at all the case. Slaanesh is based off desire and pushing limits - any limits. One of the Horus Heresy books shows one character's descent into Slaanesh's grip, and at no point does she start sleeping with other women. She starts sleeping with guys and killing them to use their bodily fluids as paint.

Homosexuality has never once been brought up with Slaanesh or the fall of the Eldar.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirPhoebos posted:

You do know what the Keeper of Secrets model looks like, don't you?

Yes, an avatar of perversion. Slaanesh is about decadence, depravity, and all-around debauchery. If you think homosexuality somehow qualifies as an important element of that, then you knock yourself out.

At any rate, this is a pointless derail that should never have been brought up and can you please drop it?

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 27, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nckdictator posted:

How does one even be a pacifist in 40k? :psyduck:

In the Horus Heresy setting. This was before everything went completely to poo poo and some people had a genuinely optimistic view of the future.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Calax posted:

Actually it makes sense.Your ears ain't doing much else when you're star fighting and we actually use sound to get a sense of our surroundings in the real world, so the computer using sound to tell you "HEY! ITS OVER THERE" would be perfect.

It's also an increasingly common bit of technology in science fiction. Mass Effect and Star Trek have both made mention of auditory simulators for pilots.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

General Battuta posted:

It's a useful excuse for the kind of reader/viewer who gets mad about sound in space, but it's never made any practical sense.

In Mass Effect, it's purely for psychological effect: we expect space flight and battle to be noisy, so auditory simulators make it so. Your shuttle pilot in 3 mentions he sometimes likes to turn them off to fly in silence.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thrawn527 posted:

Video is cool, but I have no idea where this fits into TOR lore, which is a bit of mess, if I remember correctly.

Dropping in from the TOR thread... at the moment, we have no idea how it's going to work or who exactly anyone in that trailer is beyond an immortal god-emperor type and his son. It's a major timeskip, and the Republic and Empire have both fallen, replaced by this new empire. The PCs were frozen in carbonite and wake up in this rearranged galaxy, and that's about all we know right now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thrawn527 posted:

So is it an actual expansion pack? Or an entirely new game that lets you port your characters over?

It's an expansion pack by all indications (level cap going up from 60 to 65, togruta as a new playable race, etc), and no there's no word about how the time skip and rearrangement of the galaxy is going to be handled beyond that PCs survive the timeskip via carbonite freeze.

What most people suspect is that this Immortal Emperor guy is in fact the Sith Emperor who's been heavily set up to be the big villain of TOR - he's a confirmed body-hopper and can remotely possess thousands of people at a time, not to mention he's devoured all life on a couple of planets.

But at this point, who knows. There are very few details about the expansion right now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Robot Wendigo posted:

And what would be the point of being that low, anyway? As if the screaming TIE fighters, thundering AT-ATs and wandering Vader wasn't enough to make the Rebels poo poo their pants.

This is actually brought up in TOR, and given an answer that most anti-starship weapons lose a substantial amount of their effectiveness in atmosphere, so it's standard practice for starships to enter the upper atmosphere in order to blunt ground-based fire. Sounds as plausible as anything when the real answer is "Because it looks cool."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd take an Empire at War that's pure space battles, be it Homeworld style or more conventional RTS.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Enjoyed it a lot in the theater, but it fell apart when I started thinking about it on the drive home. Fun movie, worth seeing, but no masterpiece.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jivjov posted:

There was a gay main character in Aftermath, which was hyped as the big book to read between VI and VII.

And TOR's new expansion - and yes I do think TOR matters as part of the Star Wars brand moving forward even if it's not really connected to the new movies and books - includes three bisexual love interests for PCs of either gender (two men, one woman), and a gay dude pops up in an in-game letter if you take a certain light side decision - the husband of a man you can choose to spare writes you to thank you for not killing him.

I don't know if we're likely to see a gay character in the movies, or for that matter in any Disney films, except by implication, but I hope I'm just being pessimistic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Ryloth's Moff in 'Lords of the Sith' is also a no-big-deal gay character

Yeah, but I think there's a world of difference optics-wise between gay characters in Star Wars books and video games, and gay characters in Star Wars movies. Disney's pretty gay-friendly for a big corp bordering on entertainment megacorp, but I feel TFA was so squeaky clean and safe it hurt (fun movie, mind, and Rey was a great character especially for little girls), so I kind of doubt we'll see any explicitly gay characters in the movies.

On the other hand I completely buy Poe as gay and interested in Finn. Would certainly explain why Poe seems to like and trust Finn right away.

Chairman Capone posted:

Did Lucas ever say that? I remember one of the guys involved in TOR said that and had to do a lot of backtracking, but I don't recall Lucas ever really having anything to say about gays in his universe. (He did originally really want Han to be married to a Wookiee, though.)

Traviss did write a gay Mandalorian couple but they're basically background characters and as I recall, you actually have to read two separate books to piece together they're gay because each one's gender is only specified in a different book. I remember a ton of her followers (given most of them are super right wing military fanatics) really freaking out about it, though.

No, the "no gays in Star Wars" thing was written by a LucasArts dev about TOR in response to players upset that there were no gay or bisexual characters in the game at launch (except for one or two by implication). The actual post said that identities like gay or bisexual don't exist in Star Wars - you can like either or both gender and no one considers it a big deal or an identity, so no one would really think of themselves or describe themselves as such.

All of the bisexual romances in TOR never make mention of the PC's gender if you pursue them. They're attracted to you, and don't think it's worth commenting on if you're the same gender.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 4, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Snoke being an alien might also be unknown to most of the First Order. Or they look down on some aliens but not others.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jazerus posted:

True. If Snoke isn't the founder of the First Order, though, maybe Thrawn was?

I could see Thrawn working well as the chief of the First Order's military, playing a Tarkin role - less of a personal threat to the heroes, but a crushing threat to the heroes' allies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I can't see Thrawn being a big deal in movies regardless. My impression of Thrawn is that in the books he was supposed to be a BBEG for all the non-Force characters. If TFA is precedent, then Snoke and Ren are going to be the main antagonists of the trilogy. As such, I doubt we'll see any Thrawn-like character in a role beyond chief military honcho who takes orders from the main villains and is more a threat to the heroes' allies and good guy mooks than a threat to the heroes per se.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gammatron 64 posted:

What I imagine if they'll do Cold War style conflicts with little proxy wars. Thrawn doesn't fit into that setting all that well because he's basically Space-Rommel who excels at big sweeping military campaigns.

More pointedly, he's Space-Sherlock Holmes with Pellaeon as Space-Watson. I could buy him showing up and Leia being "This guy is WHY we aren't openly fighting the First Order."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or they tried to fight the First Order and Thrawn handed the Republic its rear end on a platter, so the Republic is unwilling to fight the First Order openly unless something significant changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Even in the legends universe, the A-Wing was based on the Jedi Fighters\Interceptors from the prequels.

As for why the Empire didn't use it, TIE Fighters are cheap and they probably just didn't want to spend the money on A-Wings.

The Empire is huge, and has an enormous demand for fighters. TIE fighters are affordable and can be manufactured in large enough numbers to meet the Empire's needs for strike craft. A-Wings are probably much more expensive, more time consuming to produce, can't be built in enough numbers, or some combination of the above.