Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

His name always should've been "Cos Dashit" because then we could have jokes about how the Emperor caused a poo poo.

Was "Cos Dashit" a SuperShadow thing or was that older fan lore?

Is SuperShadow still even a thing?

Cos Dashit was the name of the emperor in the original drafts of Star Wars. If you read the Dark Horse adaptation of "The Star Wars", he's in there. As a result fans later then got the idea that Cos was Palpatine's first name even though there's no real connection between the characters other than them having the title of Emperor.

Actually, SuperShadow may well have been the person who originated the idea that Cos was Palpatine's first name. I remember back in the early 2000s even IMDb had the Palpatine character page as 'Cos Palpatine'.

SuperShadow is offline now (surprisingly his site seems to have died off only a year or so ago, you'd think he'd be energized by episode 7) but I did find this interesting article about him from Making Star Wars (which is pretty much the most legitimate and comprehensive rumor/spoiler site for the new movies, so basically the anti-SuperShadow):

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/11/teenage-supershadow/

I think it's kind of funny that Making Star Wars had its distant origins through interactions with Supershadow. Also it's kind of funny to think that SuperShadow was originally a serious Phantom Menace rumor-monger/speculator that got driven crazy by it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, I just remembered back on the starwars.com message board around 2003-2005 they had a bunch of people insisting that Dooku's first name was either "Yan" or "Jard" (even though his real first name - "Count" - is right there in the film :v:) and I'm pretty sure it later turned out to be a SuperShadow thing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, I just remembered back on the starwars.com message board around 2003-2005 they had a bunch of people insisting that Dooku's first name was either "Yan" or "Jard" (even though his real first name - "Count" - is right there in the film :v:) and I'm pretty sure it later turned out to be a SuperShadow thing.

The second volume of the Agent of the Empire comic actually did pretty much establish that Dooku would have had a first name that's just never been revealed, since the comic is about a succession crisis on Serenno and they have other Count Dookus who came after him and have first names. It's a shame that comic didn't sell well because it was one of my favorite things Dark Horse put out. A James Bond/Star Wars mashup worked surprisingly well.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Chairman Capone posted:

The second volume of the Agent of the Empire comic actually did pretty much establish that Dooku would have had a first name that's just never been revealed, since the comic is about a succession crisis on Serenno and they have other Count Dookus who came after him and have first names. It's a shame that comic didn't sell well because it was one of my favorite things Dark Horse put out. A James Bond/Star Wars mashup worked surprisingly well.

That was a really fun comic, rip.

My Star Wars EU addicted Uncle finally convinced me to read that Darth Plagueis and it was okay. "Sheev" doesn't seem that weird to me since there was a lot of rabble by a guy that goes by "Weev" last year, although it means that my mental picture of Palpatine is now professional-troll-turned-neo-nazi.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Not going to lie, this footage of Battlefront 4's Battle of Hoth map really looks awesome.

Still not a fan of capping this at forty players max.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

How...how many players were you expecting? 20v20 seems excessive and god help you if you don't have fiber internet.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

jivjov posted:

How...how many players were you expecting? 20v20 seems excessive and god help you if you don't have fiber internet.

Around the usual 64 players these games always have?

The same engine is used for Battelfield 4 so I have no drat clue why it is suddenly capped to 40 players unless it is for lazy balance reasons? To me capping it 40 players seems really off unless the battlefields are really small or balance issues are really delicate. I hope they'll at least give options for 64 player servers now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SeanBeansShako posted:

Around the usual 64 players these games always have?

The same engine is used for Battelfield 4 so I have no drat clue why it is suddenly capped to 40 players unless it is for lazy balance reasons? To me capping it 40 players seems really off unless the battlefields are really small or balance issues are really delicate. I hope they'll at least give options for 64 player servers now.

Battlefront 2 supported 4 max if I remember correctly. Did the PSP ones support more?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

jivjov posted:

Battlefront 2 supported 4 max if I remember correctly. Did the PSP ones support more?

There was 50-60 player servers too from what I can recall on the PC. That footage was apparently for Alpha PS4 (hence the placeholders in the interface). I mean, I'm going to eventually get it but if I have to upgrade my PC for the drat thing, the 40 player limit isn't going to make me hurry for it now.

Aside from dumb gripes around the mechanics, It looks pretty drat good. It seems the Rebel Alliance on Hoth is suddenly is more diverse with Rodians, which is awesome.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Looks like The Old Republic is coming into the new canon.

Or, I don't know, at least partly with new stories? Video is cool, but I have no idea where this fits into TOR lore, which is a bit of mess, if I remember correctly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Looks like The Old Republic is coming into the new canon.

Or, I don't know, at least partly with new stories? Video is cool, but I have no idea where this fits into TOR lore, which is a bit of mess, if I remember correctly.

From what they said about TOR before, its still part of Legends; its just the only Legends thing that's still on-going.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

From what they said about TOR before, its still part of Legends; its just the only Legends thing that's still on-going.

Oh, as in this new content is Legends canon, but not new EU canon? Weird.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, as in this new content is Legends canon, but not new EU canon? Weird.

Correct. TOR is the one weird edge case; the last bastion of ongoing Legends content.

That said; maybe they'll roll it into Story Group canon at some point. It's so far in the past it's not like it's going to conflict with anything.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

Correct. TOR is the one weird edge case; the last bastion of ongoing Legends content.

That said; maybe they'll roll it into Story Group canon at some point. It's so far in the past it's not like it's going to conflict with anything.

The Fantasy Flight Game stuff is still being produced and that's Legends. Plus since the supposed end-date for Legends stuff they've released two Legends books (Imperial Handbook and the Clone Wars ebook) and announced another (the History of the Old Republic). So it doesn't seem like the solid end-date for Legends vs. new EU is exactly as cut and dry as they originally said.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

The Fantasy Flight Game stuff is still being produced and that's Legends. Plus since the supposed end-date for Legends stuff they've released two Legends books (Imperial Handbook and the Clone Wars ebook) and announced another (the History of the Old Republic). So it doesn't seem like the solid end-date for Legends vs. new EU is exactly as cut and dry as they originally said.

Well, I wasn't counting the FFG stuff, since there really isn't a whole lot of "story" in there. And a couple of scattered releases isn't exactly "ongoing content"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thrawn527 posted:

Video is cool, but I have no idea where this fits into TOR lore, which is a bit of mess, if I remember correctly.

Dropping in from the TOR thread... at the moment, we have no idea how it's going to work or who exactly anyone in that trailer is beyond an immortal god-emperor type and his son. It's a major timeskip, and the Republic and Empire have both fallen, replaced by this new empire. The PCs were frozen in carbonite and wake up in this rearranged galaxy, and that's about all we know right now.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

jivjov posted:

I used to play BF1942 on 56k and large player numbers were fine as long as the servers were good; Planetside 2 pulls off far larger battles than 20v20 now.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Dropping in from the TOR thread... at the moment, we have no idea how it's going to work or who exactly anyone in that trailer is beyond an immortal god-emperor type and his son. It's a major timeskip, and the Republic and Empire have both fallen, replaced by this new empire. The PCs were frozen in carbonite and wake up in this rearranged galaxy, and that's about all we know right now.

Sounds like they could be making the Old Republic stuff its own pocket of continuity or something? I quit the game after a few months so I don't even know how it plays anymore, but the time skip thing sounds like it could make for interesting story content at least.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cythereal posted:

So is it an actual expansion pack? Or an entirely new game that lets you port your characters over?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thrawn527 posted:

So is it an actual expansion pack? Or an entirely new game that lets you port your characters over?

It's an expansion pack by all indications (level cap going up from 60 to 65, togruta as a new playable race, etc), and no there's no word about how the time skip and rearrangement of the galaxy is going to be handled beyond that PCs survive the timeskip via carbonite freeze.

What most people suspect is that this Immortal Emperor guy is in fact the Sith Emperor who's been heavily set up to be the big villain of TOR - he's a confirmed body-hopper and can remotely possess thousands of people at a time, not to mention he's devoured all life on a couple of planets.

But at this point, who knows. There are very few details about the expansion right now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

About Battlefront, how low in orbit are those Star Destroyers? I know they're big, but to be able to make out their shapes suggests they're at least in the upper atmosphere.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

About Battlefront, how low in orbit are those Star Destroyers? I know they're big, but to be able to make out their shapes suggests they're at least in the upper atmosphere.

And what would be the point of being that low, anyway? As if the screaming TIE fighters, thundering AT-ATs and wandering Vader wasn't enough to make the Rebels poo poo their pants.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Robot Wendigo posted:

And what would be the point of being that low, anyway? As if the screaming TIE fighters, thundering AT-ATs and wandering Vader wasn't enough to make the Rebels poo poo their pants.

This is actually brought up in TOR, and given an answer that most anti-starship weapons lose a substantial amount of their effectiveness in atmosphere, so it's standard practice for starships to enter the upper atmosphere in order to blunt ground-based fire. Sounds as plausible as anything when the real answer is "Because it looks cool."

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Cythereal posted:

This is actually brought up in TOR, and given an answer that most anti-starship weapons lose a substantial amount of their effectiveness in atmosphere, so it's standard practice for starships to enter the upper atmosphere in order to blunt ground-based fire. Sounds as plausible as anything when the real answer is "Because it looks cool."

My preferred explanation for this ridiculous notion (hitting things in space means the weapons are already travelling through atmosphere - so giving them less atmosphere to travel through somehow makes them less effective?) is to update my space-aether theory. The space-aether, which we already know both causes ships to experience friction and conducts sound, must also enhance the efficacy of beam weapons. Actually, this also helps explain why planet-based shields (eg Hoth) are so much more effective than spaceship shields. Yet another victory for the space-aether theory!

Yes, I know the reason it works so well is that Star Wars is based on combat that occurs in atmosphere, not actual space combat. It's still fun to come up with reasons the space-aether explains the newest weirdness though.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Another more plausible reason is they're landing walkers on the planet and going into high orbit makes that easier somehow. It's really not close to the ground, they're loving huge. They're at least as high as Felix baumgardner jumped.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What I imagine would make the antiship weapons less effective is that it'd be harder to aim (they're closer to the planet and could go over/near the horizon) and if you did take a really oblique shot you'd be shooting through a lot more atmosphere than if you were just firing more or less 'up'.

As for ground shields I figured it was just that you could build a powerplant just for the shields, while one on a ship, you gotta run it off the battery, you're getting some torque loss, etc.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cythereal posted:

All right I can live with that explanation.

Although I did chuckle when the Orbital Strike ability appeared to originate from the top of the arena space and not the nearby Star Destroyer. :dice:

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Imagine the poor bastard who has to maintain artificial gravity on a Star Destroyer. "We can unleash hell from space, guys. You know this, right?" he mutters as he watches dials and levels explode on his controls.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm just happy that it appears to be a Star Wars game worth playing again. It's been 10 years.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

Although I did chuckle when the Orbital Strike ability appeared to originate from the top of the arena space and not the nearby Star Destroyer. :dice:

Not to mention the fact that the whole ground assault only happened because the Rebels had time to raise the shield and protect the base from orbital strikes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm just happy that it appears to be a Star Wars game worth playing again. It's been 10 years.

Surely Lego Star Wars came out less than 10 years ago?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

Surely that can't be...oh yeah, I guess Battlefront II did come out 10 years ago. Carry on.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Surely Lego Star Wars came out less than 10 years ago?
I suppose that sort of counts, but there hasn't been a real Star Wars game worth playing in a decade.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm trying to even think of any Star Wars game at all that came out after Empire at War, and other than the Force Unleashed games and Old Republic, nothing comes to mind. I know for a fact there were tons of them too, just all of them so forgettable and/or forgettably bad they didn't even register.

And actually, I do think that Lego Star Wars was 10 years ago.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I just want a Telltale Star Wars game, during whatever period they want. Imagine; a telltale game where you play as Palpatine, manipulating everyone and making shady deals. Then in the sequel, you play as Triclops.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I was going to get smug about Republic Commando but I guess it came out before Battlefront 2.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Force Unleashed is not good. The retarded "Star Wars The Anime" storyline is only the most glaring problem.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

VaultAggie posted:

I just want a Telltale Star Wars game, during whatever period they want. Imagine; a telltale game where you play as Palpatine, manipulating everyone and making shady deals. Then in the sequel, you play as Triclops Trioculus.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I want to play one where the only spoken dialogue in the entire game is, "GRRR! YER A NO GOOD KILLER!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

The Force Unleashed is not good. The retarded "Star Wars The Anime" storyline is only the most glaring problem.

The storyline is insanely stupid, but the gameplay is kind of fun. If I just focus on "This is not canon" (which is a hell of a lot easier now), it's a pretty fun "I am a Force God simulator."

The second one is insanely short, though.