Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Metal Loaf posted:

I think there were originally four. I'm going to guess that I read that in The Essential Chronology when it was first released. Executor was Darth Vader's flagship in the movies, Lusankya and Iron Fist both appear in the X-Wing books, and Guardian is only mentioned in supplementary materials.

Other than that, there's the one Zsinj tried and failed to pinch from its dry dock in one of the X-Wing books, the one Admiral Daala stole from one of the warlords in Darksaber, the one Pellaeon commandeered from a different warlord, whatever kind of ship Jerec had in Dark Forces II, and I think the Empire had one in one of the late NJO books.

"Now don't get jittery, Luke. There are a lot of command ships. Keep your distance, though, Chewie, but don't look like you're trying to keeping your distance."

EU may say 4, but the movies make Executor types much more common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Decius posted:

I liked it, although I'm not quite convinced he needed to make Leia such a crack X-Wing pilot (yeah, yeah she has the same preconditions Luke has - Force sensitive, Anakin "Crash Landing" Skywalker as father, but she was never described as good pilot or even interested in flying fighters anywhere) . The story itself takes place just after Yavin, the Alliance searching a new base and there seems to be a mole that allows the Empire to appear just where the Alliance is scouting for suitable planets/systems. So Mon Mothma commands Leia to head a "Clean Room" task force to look for a base without involving anyone except her group.

That sounds stunningly well thought out for a star wars comic plot

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Just pretend that Han or Lando is telling the stories.

According to the canon, that's pretty much what it all is. Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor lays it out for the original trilogy crew, and the old website Databank did it for the prequel stuff. It is all in universe "Holoflicks", propaganda, and pulp stories that get pumped out and the heroes reap royalties from. Lando sold his rights and set up Han with the guy to sell his rights to, Leia has it done for propaganda pieces (hence why she has the fewest "wacky hijinks"), and Luke gets conned into signing the rights to his stories away (by Lorz Geptun, the grifter and head of security from Shatterpoint). The prequel stuff is also propaganda (first for the war, then to rehabilitate the image of the Jedi by the Alliance) by people like Paxi Sylo

So yeah. Explains a lot. The Traviss stuff is Imperial propaganda to defame the Jedi. The bug orgies are the in-universe version of Nailin' Palin. Every twit out there facing down Vader and beating him like a chump is like how every scientist character is compared to Einstein. Hoth is Omaha Beach. "Stole th death star plans" is "Washington slept here". Thrawn conquering 100 billion star systems with 200 dreadnoughts is pro Imperial propaganda. Etc etc etc.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

jivjov posted:

I really liked what they were trying to do with Jacen. I would have liked a Sith Lord that ruled with an iron fist, trying to remake things in his image, using his law-that-can-change-law and whatnot that didn't go all mustache-twirlingly evil and killing indiscriminately at the drop of a hat.

So... Palpatine?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

astr0man posted:

Say hello to the new Z-95 X-wing :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWBGrkc360M

It has 2 engines and the s-foils don't even split into an X :wtc:

You can see the split line on the wings and the 4 thrusters, plus there are 2 guns on the wingtip. Z95s have a 4 turbines just like x wings, swept single wings and 1 gun per wingtip. It is clearly not a z95. Come on son

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Slovenian, Marxist Luke. Intriguing.

I'm so glad I wan't the only one who when "Zizek!" on seeing that

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Flagrant Abuse posted:

It looks like allegedly, the plot of Ep7 is going to be basically The Glove of Darth Vader, but with Luke's hand instead.

Can't wait for someone to bid dark greetings. Also apparently Luke's hand is Thing from the Addams Family.

I don't think I've liked a single thing JJ Abrams has ever done. I expect his Star Wars movies will be worse than the prequels. But even I don't think he'd use a plot that incredibly lovely.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

It'd be an achievement if he could actually make Star Wars films that are worse than the prequels. I don't think it's possible to make a film that's more boring than the Phantom Menace. At least, I hope not :ohdear:

As terrible as the prequels were for plot, character development, acting, etc, they still "felt" like Star Wars. It's what Timothy Zahn mentioned in his notes on the other page, that you have to capture the feel of Star Wars, otherwise it is just a generic space opera where people, places, and things share the same name as those in Star Wars.

That's what Abrams flubbed with nuTrek, even beyond the plot and character development issues. It doesn't feel like Star Trek at all, it feels like they took your standard Acme Space Opera setting and put some familiar names on it. If he does the same thing with Star Wars, where you have a nonsensical plot, no development, not plausible motivations, no defining character traits, sequences that exist just to wink at the original without the charm, and sequences in there just to give them stuff to sell swag of, and then layers in it doesn't feel like the same thing, it would meet my definition of worse. It would have all the problems, without the redeeming trait.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 27, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Well that looks dumb

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Why do people assume Boyega is a stormtrooper, instead of just wearing the armor as a disguise? That happened in the original trilogy a bunch - Han & Luke on the Death Star, Leia & Lando in Jabba's Palace, Han to get back into the bunker...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

In retrospect, I think there's a sort of late-nineties "end of history" sensibility to the Hand of Thrawn books. Democracy won! Peace with the Empire! The resurgence of the Jedi Order! The only way is up! The worst the New Republic has to worry about are regional skirmishes and local unrest. The tail end of the Bantam era EU is essentially the Clinton years of the EU.

So, in this analogy, the NJO correlates to the War on Terror, LOTF is the financial crisis, and FOTJ is the Obama administration. :v:

That's true for all of it. It always borrowed real heavily in the current cultural enemy. The storm troopers and empire were originally heavy on nazi imagery. The WEG stuff and Imperial Sourcebook from the late 80s early 90s is heavy on the Empire being communist Russia. Del Ray books are full of instances where the issue is some minor warlord killing tons of people, and for reasons of political realities and plot the Republic star fleet can't just come in and wipe the floor with it. The Vong was full of explicit rifting on "if only the empire was still around and/or the republic would put aside its soft sensibilities and commit to the fight we would win" which was the Bush years in a nut shell (see also, a lot of stupid lovely memes this past week after the torture report came out)

It's probably a bit unfair to call out the prequel stuff for being authoritarian since it was trying to sell (literally) heroes that we know are genocidal despots, but still, plenty of authors went a bit above and beyond in their cheerleading.

LOTF was "retell the prequels for mad cash" I wouldn't give it any more credit than that, but I also couldn't make it past the second book before washing my hands of it.

StashAugustine posted:

Thanks Jacen!

Hand of Thrawn did have a slightly more cynical side to it, where the evil empire is ground into the dirt and the new guys in charge are all coming to the realization that running a government is *hard*.

I always liked that Zahn got, and as a core idea worked with, that redemptive violence is poo poo that doesn't work. Killing Palpatine wasn't enough, he and Vader weren't the only bad guys. There were still all the other assholes across the galaxy who heard Palpatine talk about building an Empire who said "good idea" and did the day to day work of carrying it out. Thrawn is the big one obviously, that there were others who could lead the massive imperial war machine, but then in Hand of Thrawn you have the other side to that, all the officials who ran and administer the Empire. You change out who is at Coruscant but have trillions of people on all the other worlds coming in to work the next day with just a change of flag, and nothing will change. The people who committed the atrocities for the Empire were still in the governments. They have never been called to account, trying to will be a political crisis that shatters everything, and on a lot of planets if given a choice that same leadership will readily rejoin the Empire and go back to their old ways.

With those books in the end it isn't resolved by the big space battle or the Jedi killing someone, it's resolved by two old men who have buried so many young men they just want to talk, have trials for the guilty, and practice war no more.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 15, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Intimidator had 2 sister ships, she was the only one named. 3 executor types in whole

And that's of the Black Fleet, the Yvetha were building imperial ships just by copying the ones they had over the next 12 years, so there may have been more.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Traitor, aside from providing the view of the force and responsibility that what will make the New Jedi Order "new", is also the time when the Vong and how things work are fleshed out and given context and depth. Which both really needed to happen in like hardcover 2 or something instead of in the final act of the story. Same with the republic getting its poo poo together in Destiny's Way. There is much more tension in a slugging match than there is one side getting jumped and then pounding the other as soon as the surprise wears off. The fight between a glass cannon and a brawler isn't very interesting from a narrative POV

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

So why was Denning given so many chances to write for the Star Wars EU. Was it just another instance of Lucas being Lucas? Or did he have dirt on one of the executives?

Star by star was well received, he landed a multibook contract after that letting him do a trilogy he'd previously pitched and got attached to the next big multibook series as their latest "hot" author.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think if TOTJ has a major weakness, it's one it shares with Dark Empire, namely that it crams far too much story into far too little space. For me, the only one that really has the room it needs to breathe is "Redemption" (which is also the best one).
that was definitely the case with Dark Empire. Like, once you read the novella in the tpb, the Dark Empire Sourcebook, 3 short stories, and the comics, it is a pretty awesome story. Characters have motivations, goals, neuroses that impair their ability to achieve said goals. Random scenes in the comic have context that makes sense. There is story flow not broken up by the needs for a comic to restate things every issue. poo poo doesn't just happen ex nihilo at fortuitous times, it is foreshadowed or the result of conflicting agendas.

"You need to read several different books to understand the story you wanted to read" is a damning indictment of the story - a work should stand or fall on its own. If they had been given more leeway in developing it to put everything in, or changed the media it was released in it would have been stronger.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

khamul posted:

That is terribly confusing because there is another prominent PC game series titled "Cossacks", but it's in an entirely different genre. I thought they were talking about a KOTOR mod of some sort for the RTS series at first glance. Why do people have to make such a big deal about social themes in Star Wars? Already we've seen the EU Empire drift from stashing Daala, the only female admiral, in the Maw for 20 years, to employing female stormtroopers. Not that the latter development bothered me, but people get way too emotionally involved in a storybook galaxy.
the criticism in that critique has been around long before KOTR, at least to when David Brin wrote an essay along those line when the special editions came out in 1997.

quote:

Also, what's the deal with Palpatine being so racist in the OT, but having a bunch of non-humans in his entourage in the prequels? Apparently some of them (like Mas Amedda and Sly Moore) continued on long after the establishment of the New Order.
about the same way Dick Cheney hated gays. Palpatine's bias was that force users were better than non sensitives. If you couldn't sense and use the force your existence held no value to him. So if everyone is equally Bantha poodo you might as well play to the prejudices of the group that gives you the most support - in this case human supremacists like Tarkin and the core worlds. That the bad guys if the clone wars are all aliens just helps in the propaganda

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

What did I tell you, Thrawn is definitely still going to be around.

How do they seriously think they could keep the old EU canon and make new movies after ROTJ? Do they expect the screenwriters to read all the crappy books and make the new movies consistent? Do they expect regular movie going audiences to read them all to be able to follow what's going on?

Well, they did with the prequels. You were supposed to read a bunch of books, comics, and the TV shows to follow the context of what is going on with most of that.

For "what if the EU they keep" I'd have said Cloak of Deception and the Dark Lord trilogy to explain most of the prequels and character motivations since that's pretty bare bones, and in the post ROTJ more just keep the broad strokes of what happened than anything specific - the Emperor is gone, Vader is gone, HIMG is gone, so kick off a massive bloodbath of Imperials fighting Imperials for the better part of 2 years while the Rebels gain strength through diplomacy, rebels take Coruscant and become more or less dominant, imperial unification makes the empire formally a military dictatorship, imperial counter attack that sends them reeling, another imperial bloodbath that leaves them too damaged to ever really reunite, the next 15 years of small wars as the warlords fight each other and the Rebels knock them off one by one, final consolidation into one greatly reduced military dictatorship empire, armistice 20 years after Endor. Gives you 10 years to have the sides grow into what you need for Force Awakens, but still keeps the general shape of the familiar. You can drop familiar names in but don't have to have the same actions.

I haven't read any Chuck Wendig, will he be more fantasy SW or more scifi SW? Or will it be like the ones lately where it is shoehorn in merchandise forget plot or common sense SW?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

The plot of the rogue squadron comics was about Isard vs Penstage vs the ruling council for who was the official head of state, though the "boom boom star fighters explosions" overshadowed most of the political maneuvering. Then Thrawn returned and got appointed in charge by the Moffs, then you have the Imperial Civil War as described in the DE sourcebook (same place Palpaines niece was named), then Palpatine reborn, then the councils in Crimson Empire 1 & 2, and with the deaths at the end of CE2 the formal end of the Imperial state.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

And as for the art thing, you could probably argue that he wasn't just studying one piece of art and calling it a day but drawing on a vast collection of art as well as a history of behavior

The art thing is because Thrawn is Sherlock Holmes. Holmes could look at someone, tell everything about them, and make predictions about what they had done and would do, and react. When you are in a space ship you aren't seeing the other commander like that since the bridge hails is a Star Trek thing, now Star Wars thing), and you can't have every Alliance leader be some warrior-poet with an art collection to study. So the solution is to have him study art, therefore understand everything about the species, therefore understand what they will do. It is no more hokey than it was when Arthur Conan Doyle did it. It is a character device.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

If this plot point had ever been followed to its logical conclusion, then Kyp at some point would have fallen to the Dark Side in a future installment.

But this is Star Wars we're talking about, and instead a mass-murderer somehow manages to hold the moral high ground during the biggest story-arc of the EU. :downs:

He mass murders at least one more time. Being an abomination of a person is not the same as falling to the dark side, which is a point the prequels hammer home in their depiction of the Jedi Council.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Actually thinking on this, even though Traviss gets the credit for it, wasn't KJA the one who came up with the term "Talifans"? I guess a guy who equates criticism of his lovely books with being a terrorist is probably fine with being nominated by right-wing loons.

Nope. that was entirely her. He wasn't involved in that fiasco.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Kwatz posted:

So this puppies thing is essentially a lovely Hugo version of gamergate? A bunch of idiots decided to hijack the Hugo awards, people got understandably upset, and then the hijackers said people getting upset proved them right? Keep it classy guys, keep it classy.

Yep, right down to some authors saying they will shoot one woman author if she shows up at a convention.

Fun fact: this is being coordinated with gamergate by brietbart writer and gg booster milo yiannopoulos

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ruby idiot railed posted:

The same people are involved in all of them basically, they've turned each of these into almost kind of a franchise. Apparently some internet archaeology turned out that a lot of them got started with this thing
Jesus, of course these assholes would be the same people defending a real life Its Always Sunny bit as a good thing

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Drone posted:

I'm no massive expert in 40k lore, but I thought the stuff there was never overt? I mean they're eight feet tall Space Marines, they're all big heaping piles of testosterone, of course they probably gently caress each other. But I've never seen a case where it was outright referenced that like... Battle Brother Brutus was banging Librarian Lucius or something.

I've heard the whole Lion El'Jonson / Luther thing being done in the context of a gay relationship before, but I thought that was just speculation (besides the Lion's name being taken from a well-known gay poet IRL).

Edit: and I've heard same-sex themes when it comes to the Blood Angels too, but there it never went beyond childish "but they like pretty things!" and "they have a fixation with nipples and pecs".

Not space marines (they range from freaked out disgust to complete confusion when confronted with human sexuality depending on the writer) but the humans. In the Caine books had a pair of lesbian NCOs as leading his favored platoon, LBGT remembrencers pop up in several of the Horus Heresy books, there are a gay general-commissar couple in one of the Space Marine Battles books. Woman governor was hitting on a woman colonel in one of the Caine books as well. Yeah lot of 40k stuff has strong depictions of LBGT people in it (for franchise fiction standards of strong) and they run the gamut from being noble heroes to craven villains to blood gargling psychos to artistic pacifists and the "oh by they way they enjoy a little cock meat" is incidental to those other qualities rather than being tied up in them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Calax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywaCm9wrKqM

Not really book related... but the lead developer of the Republic Commando game is doing a let's play (he calls it an "Oral History") of the game and talking about the design behind it.

Also, I'd like to point out that that space ship in Ensign Ricky's post... Is steam powered.

The LP might be interesting.

"Steam powered space ship!" isn't a problem seeing as how steam is how you convert the heat of your power source to usable energy for everything else.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I'd take an Empire at War that's pure space battles, be it Homeworld style or more conventional RTS.

Rebellion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Empire at War

Jake Lloyd got arrested (TMZ so side links/ads may be NSFW-ish)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Apparently he's been struggling with schizophrenia since about age 19 and went off his pills.

And struggling with a huge mob of assholes harassing him for being in a bad movie since 1999

Really not a nice set of burdens to have to bear

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

D-Pad posted:

Who is the person in the Aftermath epilogue? I can't figure it out.

Almost certainly the character being played by Andy Serkis in The Force Awakens. The character's name has not yet been revealed (for shooting he is referred to as "Snoke" or "supreme leader" but it isn't clear if that's final or just an anti leak stand in name), but the indication so far is that they are to Kylo Ren what Palpatine was to Vader: the big bad playing everything toward a master plan. Which fits with the end there in Aftermath.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I find it odd that homophobia is only being brought up now, especially considering the Site's history with Karen Traviss. She had a gay Mandalorian couple in her books, but nobody batted an eye. They were too busy disliking them for her Jedi Fascism stance and her toxic relationship with the fanbase.
Except for the thing where TFN was backing her to the hilt, rather than disliking her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

In Star Wars, nobody seems to have full auto guns, or at least, they didn't until the prequels \ Clone Wars stuff came out. I always thought "well, if a Jedi can just block blaster bolts with their lightsaber, why don't you just shoot them with a machine gun because there's no way they could block all the bullets?"

You see them having machine guns in ANH when the storm troopers are walking around mid eisley and at the battle of hoth in ESB though?