Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm halfway through Dawn of the Jedi: Into The Void . I know nothing about this era of the Star Wars mythology--I didn't even know it existed until I picked up this book. The Jedi here come across more like wetworks CIA than the mystic monks of later eras, and it's been fun trying to figure out the technological differences between this era and current SW.

Tim Lebbon keeps it all moving fairly quickly. He reminds me of Dan Abnett--similar style, and a definite love of the material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

Unfortunately that's all there really is for the Dawn of the Jedi era, along with the comic. I don't think it will survive the Marvel handover.

I'm sure you're right. There seems to be a moral ambiguity about the Jedi here that won't play well with the Mouse.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I always had a soft spot for Nomi Sunrider and was surprised to hear her mentioned in KOTOR. Well, not so much surprised as completely freaked out.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

I really loved how in these two issues so far Leia is willing to give up her life and the lives of everybody else on the mission for a CHANCE to kill Vader. That's a perfect example of working in the space between the movies to create new character moments.

I also liked how her reaction to Luke's act of compassion in Issue One. It reminded me of a tired mother when the kids bring home a kitten they found.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nckdictator posted:

How does one even be a pacifist in 40k? :psyduck:

Really aggressively?

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

So Andy Serkis's character is revealed to be named... Supreme Leader Snoke. And is a mocap character, of course.

Sounds Gungan to me.

And we thought we were free....

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just hope the Story Group is thinking in terms of plotlines extending over years, long term character development, and actual narrative weight and not just amping up interest in whatever new movie comes out that Christmas.

I like to dream.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
'Sheev' sounds like something that happens to you in prison if you step in front of someone in the lunch line.

All of this talk of names made me wonder--again--why Obi-Wan wouldn't have at least changed Luke's last name when he dumped him on Tatooine. Taking a hit on that Wisdom roll there, Kenobi.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

About Battlefront, how low in orbit are those Star Destroyers? I know they're big, but to be able to make out their shapes suggests they're at least in the upper atmosphere.

And what would be the point of being that low, anyway? As if the screaming TIE fighters, thundering AT-ATs and wandering Vader wasn't enough to make the Rebels poo poo their pants.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Imagine the poor bastard who has to maintain artificial gravity on a Star Destroyer. "We can unleash hell from space, guys. You know this, right?" he mutters as he watches dials and levels explode on his controls.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

Last night I was drunk and so I watched the Star Wars Holiday Special (with the rifftrax commentary).

My reaction :dogbutton:

I watched it when it first aired on television. I remember being so excited.

That didn't last.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've read Chuck Wendig and that excerpt didn't really feel like him. I'm glad the guy is getting a paycheque but bleaugh.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't mind Chuck Wendig. I read The Cormorant and enjoyed it. His advice on writing on his blog seems spot on. The man has definite talent. And then I read an excerpt from Aftermath and it makes me wonder if there isn't a second Chuck Wendig out there, one typing this madly on his phone with one hand while hanging onto a strap on a subway car.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So are the Young Adult novels canon as well? Greg Rucka is a good writer, so him writing a Han Solo novel doesn't instantly make me grit my teeth.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Carteret posted:

Yup. Everything is canon now. Even some first chapter books are canon, based on the kid Ezra befriends at the academy in Rebels.

The obvious stuff like adaptations, read alongs and novelizations aren't.

Okay, thank you. That's interesting. I always felt pre-Disney that the YA novels like Jedi Apprentice existed in their own splinter reality, where they kinda happened but didn't.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

Early on it was kind of like that, and the chronology gets kind of weird because of when things were written. Then NJO reference stuff that happened, mostly to kill off those characters if I remember correctly. One of the LOTF books flashes back to events from The Shadow Academy at one point. I don't think the Jude Watson stuff ever really gets referenced outside of her work. Also you're probably not going to find anything referencing Galaxy of Fear or Star Wars: Science Adventures

I always liked how the Jude Watson books seemed so fringe, like they were quietly mining away their own part of the Star Wars universe, humming contentedly to themselves.

I had never heard of Star Wars: Science Adventures but the title alone sounds glorious.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Despite my horror at the excerpt, if people here enjoy Aftermath, I'll pick that up. I'm guess I'm just hoping someone else goes first.

I went to Toys R Us tonight and looked at the countdown clock and empty shelves. Was hoping a Phasma might have been put out early, but no.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Effectronica posted:

It is, because it constrains the playground of the mind. Canon, when it is a curated thing, such as with "expanded universes" and "lore", kills creativity by caging it piece by piece. Furthermore, lore has the distressing tendency to cage the minds of people who indulge in it too often, such that they gain a calcified vision of the work. Given that Star Wars and Star Trek most notoriously have lore that contradicts the original work on a bald level, this calcified vision in turn damages their perception of the original work. Given time, the merchandising becomes Oedipal in nature.

This reminded me of how in Doctor Who, the primary television lore destroys Atlantis at least twice in different ways. An oversight by their own creative team, and yet it doesn't hurt the show. It's part of the show's appeal, this ability of fans to roll their eyes and come up with their own ideas on what really happened. This seems to be the exact opposite of constraint.

The concept of canon in anything --be it the EU, Marvel Comics, or BBC television shows--is fluid and ultimately futile in the long run. Carve something in stone and you just have to wait to see it washed away. Curating it--in my opinion--is just amusing, and makes me envy whoever is getting paid to do it. No matter how absurd or contradictory expanded canon is, it doesn't water down the original for me. It's just something else to discuss, and usually laugh over.

I agree there are certain people who do cling to a 'calcified vision'. If that damages their perception of the original work, then that's a consequence of their own decision to embrace that approach. I, on the other hand, love all the additional material, the more ridiculous and credibility stretching the better. It's just fun for me.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Right now there's this whole kerfuffle over the Bring Back Legends facebook group allegedly harassing people at DragonCon and derailing panels. Apparently asking Timothy Zahn how he felt about someone else writing Mara's death is considered being hostile. One person has gone so far as to label people hating on Chuck Wendigs new book Sad Banthas, as if comparisons to the Hugo Awards fuckup this year are applicable to loving Star Wars books.

Sad Banthas. I suddenly feel so very, very tired.

Those ROTJ cutscenes were wonderful. I didn't understand why the man was reading lines to the actress, though. Wouldn't she be vaguely familiar with the scene? It was like she was hearing these lines for the first time.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

It looked to me like they were just getting a large variety of generic quotes that they could use for a two-second cutaway line by some rando pilot when editing the battle together in post-production. Why would those actors need a full script at all? Their entire character and motivation consists of "You saw Star Wars, right? Remember the part with the fighter pilots? Yeah, you're doing that." Why NOT just prompt them with the lines, one by one?

Oh, sure. That does make sense, both in terms of time and money. My impression was that this woman was a full fledged character that we'd meet in the Battle of Endor, someone like Nien Nunb, and she was cut because she was so unconvincing. Your impression makes much more sense.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Picked up Aftermath this afternoon at Indigo. For any Canadian goons out there, it's marked down 40%.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Despite my oh hell no! responses to the previews, I'm also really enjoying Aftermath. Funny how I like the Imperials more than the Rebels in this book.

Hbomberguy's point about Luke killing the TIE Fighter pilot in ANH reminded me of the one problem I've had with Aftermath. Spoilers to be safe : Have we reached the point post Clone Wars that simply killing a stormtrooper because he/she is a stormtrooper isn't always a justified act of war? Wedge's actions aboard the Vengeance struck me as really unnecessary, a point emphasized when Sloane comments how inexperienced the stormtroopers were. My point being that Wedge was not actively fighting the stormtroopers and probably could have escaped otherwise because he's goddamn Wedge. He just outright murders stormtroopers who were just standing there.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alikchi posted:

So, as someone who hasn't really paid attention to Star Wars since reading the old EU novels like a decade ago or more... where should I start with the new canon? Comics would be fun.

The mainline Star Wars comic is the comic I wish we'd had back in 1977. It really has the spirit and fun of A New Hope, with the main characters in glorious conflict almost from the start. (In the days of yore Marvel wasn't allowed to have Luke or any of the others actually confront Vader, so there were lots of near misses, slamming airlocks, that sort of thing.) The Darth Vader comic reads like a crime story, complete with much blacker humour and violence than you'll find over in Star Wars. Doctor Aphra is a wonderful new character. I've read a few issues of Princess Leia--it's fine, but pales a bit in comparison with the other two.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurken posted:

The first book in the Medstar duology is FANTASTIC. The second is passable

I'll second that emotion. I just saw Barriss Offee in an episode of Clone Wars and was reminded how much I enjoyed Battle Surgeons.

There's a template to those novels that I hope the Story Group sees: take secondary characters, ones that can change and evolve, and tell interesting stories with them. Take a chance. Do the unexpected. Maybe not put it in first person.

Robot Wendigo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 30, 2015

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

So glad that didn't happen, because then the Empire would have been led by TWO sad sack losers who have no idea how to handle bad news or romance. In a science fiction space opera epic.

Two sad sack losers who were responsible for the death of millions, but wait? They had broken hearts? Well, then, that changes everything.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Plus Wendig comes across like a passive-aggressive smug rear end in a top hat in the personal things he's posted so I'm fine not giving him any of my money.

Wendig is proof to me that authors should maintain a remove from their audience. I think this trend for authors to post their every thought online and create some hoped for magical dialogue with their readers is a mistake. It kills the mystery. With myself and Wendig, it also killed any desire to read any more of his work.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

It's funny, when Rebels began I remember reading some joke post on some forum (maybe even here?) about how Sabine leaving graffiti would make it easy for Thrawn to defeat them.

Or Sabine will become the SW's version of Banksy and bankrupts Thrawn as he tries to complete his collection.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are Han's connections to the Empire still a thing? I remember reading that he was also an Imperial pilot who quit after being asked to pick up a captive Chewbacca to transport him to some slave planet. I'm not sure where I read that, but it reminded me of Wedge's new origin.

Legends. I still hold out hope for a sequel to Dawn of The Jedi: Into The Void.. Such glorious insanity.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I remember getting that book back in the Eighties. I remember a line in there about how Kershner was concerned about Carrie Fisher, but it was never explained why he was concerned or what the problem was. (Fisher has admitted to using cocaine during the shoot.) You would never find a line like that these days in any official "Making Of' book.

It's a great read.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Canemacar posted:

I just realized. The star wars do not have internet. Just space- radio.

Looking things up on the Holonet space radio doesn't seem to be a thing most people in the SW Universe can do.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

Basically, the everything is almost like it was, but after Vader and Palpatine are dead, Luke puts on Vader's mask and decides to conquer the galaxy.

Okay, so it wasn't an original planned ending, but rather an idea Lucas\Kasdan thought about.

Which would have been rather cool, especially if the 'other' would then become the new hero (ine) and people realized the Skywalker line had to be wiped out because they just couldn't stop with the evil.

I think that ending would have exploded the Eighties.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

The Marvel artwork always looks so low effort and foreign that I don't think I could get into it.

It was all we had back in the Eighties, aside from the Han Solo novels and Splinter of The Mind's Eye. I loved the series back then. And Walter Simonson was the man! He turned Thor into a frog! A frog!

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void; then the Lost Tribe of the Sith Collection, then the Old Republic stuff.

Did we ever get more stories set in the Dawn of the Jedi era? That was one crazy book.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I wish the new EU would create more new characters for the novels and build stories around them. Or if that's too much to ask, grab secondary characters, like they did with Barris Offee in the Battle Surgeon novels. I love Aphra mostly because she's new, and I'm not sure the higher ups at Disney are totally aware of her yet.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Teek posted:

A question, who are the "higher ups" in your view, Kennedy? Or someone else outside of Lucasfilm? Disney's not exactly making the character decisions for Lucasfilm in that way. Pablo and the story group know about her... There's really not anyone else that involved at that high of level other than Kathleen Kennedy?

I guess I do mean Kennedy and people at her managerial level. Would Kennedy approve of someone like Aphra, a morally gray character with two homicidal droids with a fondness for torture? Having the Disney copyright associated with that amuses me.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

I can't believe Disney is okay with a man killing a room full of children, then himself getting burnt to a crisp

Had Disney owned Star Wars during ROTS, I'm pretty sure that scene would have never been filmed.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I thought Aftermath was terrible. I'd read two of Wendig's Miriam Black novels and enjoyed them, so I'd been looking forward to his Star Wars novel. But I found Aftermath rushed and sloppy--apparently he had a brutal deadline, and it shows. The reveal of a character's sexuality felt just as clumsy, like it was added as an afterthought. I haven't gone back to finish the trilogy,--or to any of Wendig's books-- since then.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The NJO was too reflective of real world events at the time, which I've never felt works for Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Robot Style posted:

Star Wars has always been reflective of real world events - Lucas' notes from the first film explicitly compare the Empire to the US during the Vietnam war, and both the Rebels and the Ewoks were inspired by the Viet Cong, who were able to fight a much larger and more technilogically advanced enemy.

Though one of the reasons Star Wars did so well was because it served as an escapist counterpoint to reality rather than being the same type of depressing, just with more lasers.

I wasn't aware of the Viet Cong inspiration. With the Ewoks, I remember Lucas saying he wanted the technological weapons of the Empire defeated by the home made primitive weapons of the Ewoks. The VC thing makes sense in that light.

But I'm not sure how many viewers of the films then would have made that connection right away. The NJO, even beginning before 9-11, still felt too connected to world events: religious jihadists out to destroy a way of life because it offends them on a spiritual level. That's a reduction, of course, but it made the the galaxy far, far away feel way too close, IMO.