Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Considering that Zahn hasn't written about anything regarding clones since the prequels came out, you'll probably be wondering forever.

Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So, despite the really tired "Jedi that escaped the purge" (at this point, how many of them didn't?) opening plot, and the typical YA/kids oriented premise and protagonist, I can't help but be excited to at least see what Rebels is like. The vividly exploding TIE Fighters makes me want to at least check in.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cross-Section posted:

A bunch of official release GOG forum threads appeared before they were supposed to; they're gone now but they were up long enough for more than a few gaming forums and press outlets to pick it up.

And the internet has already cried out in collective ecstasy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Some of the oldest and best EU (Heir to the Empire) portrays clones as rare in the stormtrooper corps until the re-discovery of Spaarti cloning by Thrawn. Later good EU in the form of the X-Wing novels also goes along with that, where on occasion main characters disguise themselves as stormtroopers and are not immediately discovered which is pretty fanning even if there are multiple (but significantly less numerous than conscript) lines.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

RichterIX posted:

When people talk favorably of the Clone Wars series is it the animated one or the CG one they mean? Can you even watch the animated one anywhere?

Talk about it has been the CG one. The animated one is fantastic and very nearly beyond reproach (as much as a 5-15 minute cartoon can be).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
At least four. Lusankya, Iron Fist, the one Isard tries to steal in Isard's Revenge, and Guardian that rams a worldship just after the fall of Coruscant in the NJO. The last one is rather amusing, because Wedge is in command, told specifically he's only there to buy time and lose, and then wins even while trying to lose because Wedge.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
And of course, Executor. So, at least five just of the Executor-class, potentially one more off the top of our heads, and probably a few more beyond that

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The fall of Coruscant and the one where Wedge crashes a super star destroyer into a worldship are both decent reads. They're not good but they're not outright horrible either.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I liked Nom Anor just about every time I read stuff he was in right up until the last scene where he totally loving ruins his entire series-long character development and goes down with the ship so that both Luke and Jacen can get to safety.

Of all the characters in the entire loving EU, he's the one least likely to do that and WHOOPS MAIN CHARACTERS somebody gotta die might as well be me.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pretty much, when I get the urge to play it I remember the Land Battles and then the urges just goes away. One of these days though, will try out that Thrawn era mod for it.

Build groups of three speeders at a time (on the Rebel side), and just have them infiltrate every planet over and over again until you capture it. Then have a space battle. Easiest way to completely skip the worst part of the game.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't really expect you can do much mod wise to EaW. I'll try it out anyway since I've been there and done that with the base game and expansion already.

You can do a lot of things in EAW for mods. Off the top of my head there are a few that add Super Star Destroyers of all stripe and variety.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I got to see a Level 3 space station kill 24 Mon Cal cruisers by itself once. That was wacky.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Darth Freddy posted:

So far on book 12 of the new jedi order. Why can't I stop reading these stupid things and why am I actually enjoying them.

Because entertainment is only vaguely related to quality.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The last fifty pages of The Unifying Force are probably the least satisfying parts of the entire series.

1) Luke and Jacen face off against a record number of super soldiers. Cliche.
2) Said super soldiers get loving clowned in like two pages.
3) "The reveal"
4) Jacen becomes a being of such pure force connection and righteousness that the bad guy just kind of dies and then melts. Seriously what the gently caress.
5) Nom Anor dies in the bitchiest, most out of character way possible.

Nothing but missed opportunity.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Echoing that Traitor is excellent. Stover is pretty good at Star Wars in general. His novelization of Revenge of the Sith makes the movie worth watching again for the different perspective.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Jacen was cool in Traitor.

This is not because he was Jacen, it's because it was in Traitor.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's pretty much the truth. He goes all Jedi Mystic and wanders the galaxy for a few years, ends up being the indirect cause of the next war in the setting through time travel (sorta). Then he deliberately and very obviously forgets everything he knew about a-morality and dives into full on im-morality in order to unite the Alliance by starting a big war and being dark and evil.

Boring as poo poo.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

How do you suppose he keeps the ysalamiri poo poo off the white uniforms? Do they even make those white uniforms any more?

Tiny little diapers like you see on chimps sometimes. Notice that you never see the bottom half of the ysalamiri in pictures.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Strobe posted:

The last fifty pages of The Unifying Force are probably the least satisfying parts of the entire series.

1) Luke and Jacen face off against a record number of super soldiers. Cliche.
2) Said super soldiers get loving clowned in like two pages.
3) "The reveal"
4) Jacen becomes a being of such pure force connection and righteousness that the bad guy just kind of dies and then melts. Seriously what the gently caress.
5) Nom Anor dies in the bitchiest, most out of character way possible.

Nothing but missed opportunity.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Having literally an entire galaxy of thousands of different cultures consistently change to the same styles in a single generation would have broken my suspension of disbelief harder than... you know, I can't even think of something that would break it that hard.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If Rogue One isn't about Rogue Squadron and Wedge Antilles I s2g

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

jivjov posted:

Pretty sure he's literally the only pilot to survive both Death Star runs.

This is correct. He's also the only pilot to go on both.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Tycho didn't fly on the first Death Star mission. He was still a TIE pilot in the Imperial Navy at that point.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Lemniscate Blue posted:

What are the Mando nuts in this analogy?

Gestapo, clearly, visiting harsh language in the night to those who speak out against their perfect leader.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Cascade Point is good and people should read it (again).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
BRB guys just gotta create matter out of ambient energy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Van Dis posted:

Counterpoint: authors, by and large, have terrible stories to tell, and often use their creativity in the worst ways, resulting in lovely books that are an insult to read.

William Blackstone posted:

It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Vergere was one of the two or three most interesting things about the NJO so if the story group is supposed to prevent that thanks for proving our point I guess

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
In the novelization of The Empire Strikes Back, Hobbie crashed his crippled snowspeeder into an AT-AT. He did not survive.

Naturally, he survived in the EU.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Mandatory QTEs to take out non-unique enemies are not good.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That was a good video.

I'm really glad that none of the trailers so far have spoiled the poo poo out of this movie. That's a nice change.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Heir to the Empire was also early 90s.

The earliest stuff was Splinter of the Mind's Eye (which was good). It also predates Empire Strikes Back, so it may not count toward "the EU" as a monolithic entity like we've been discussing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Even at it's absolute worst, the old EU was at least still creatively batshit.

Counterpoint: Death Troopers

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Van Dis posted:

Surely you recognize the difference between an occasional sarcastic comment and Whedonspeak. (Nessus, that's one thing I mean about the tone, where all the characters' lines are interchangeable because they're all one-dimensional pastiches of one-liners, which precludes any emotional depth or ability to engage with the characters and hence the plot, making the movie feel hollow and unmemorable.)

This is mostly the Avengers, and maybe Iron Man. The Captain America movies didn't have near the level of snark you're implying, and Thor didn't either.

The huge problem with the prequels is that they felt fake, due to a combination of Lucas being bad at directing, too much CGI everything, and Hayden Christensrn. The behind the scenes reel from ComicCon is enough to tell me that all three of those things are no longer problems.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
When you've been around as long as the Republic has, no matter how pacifistic your government du jour may be, the galaxy is going to get pretty loving good at how to make war on a small scale. I'm a decent fan of the boots on the ground approach, I just got really tired of the WE ARE BROTHERS AND SPECIAL SNOWFLAKES WHY WON'T ANYONE UNDERSTAND THAT poo poo that the rest of the books were all about. And also that apparently only the Mandalorians were actually good at it, because reasons.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's also to consider that The Phantom Menace was far and away more of an epic space adventure than it was Politics and the Economy in the Republic, which was not executed in a terribly interesting fashion (save for one good line in ROTS). Which isn't to say politics can't be interesting, it's just that George wasn't able to make the grade.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Same with mine. I saw Avengers 2 the Friday it came out simply by going to a pre-noon showing. This one I might have to wait until Monday.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

Wraith Squadron feels like post-9/11 "soldiers are awesome!" poo poo done in the Star Wars universe and just not interesting.

Wraith Squadron was published in 1998.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover is good. The Revenge of the Sith novelization (coincidentally also by Matthew Stover) is also really good.

Heir to the Empire (and the other two books in that trilogy, or the trilogy as a whole) by Timothy Zahn would make an interesting retro-active "What might have been" entry, and are not half bad besides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover, because it's a poo poo ton better than the movie.