Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The Killswitch story sounds neat until you start to think for a few seconds. How do you make a file that can't be copied, and how do you make something that will delete itself to an 'unrecoverable' state? Maybe with magical fairy computers you can do this, but with real world computers if you have data on a disk, you can copy that data to another type of media. Especially in 1989. Data security back then mostly consisted of saying 'please don't copy this disk, thanks'. And for magically deleting itself... cut a little U in the side of the floppy disk. Boom, now it's write protected and can't magically delete itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

f#a# posted:

Not exactly a hoax or anything, but Goldeneye.
Goldeneye also had the distant island visible from the Dam that had people trying everything to get to it. Turned out to be some half finished extension to the level that the developers just cut. Also there was one multiplayer level that wasn't in the final game that people managed to pull out of the game files and turn into a playable level finally after years.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

OilSlick posted:

It was a massive flamefest as people posted fake claims and people exchanged threats of physical violence over video games.

Mind you, this was 1998. We didn't quite understand this internet business.
I don't know, sounds like you had it down pat.

For a whole lot of this sort of thing, check out tvtropes. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UrbanLegendOfZelda Of course this does mean you have to put up with reading tvtropes. As long as you ignore any line that includes the phrase 'this troper' you should be mostly safe.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Nothing there but mining ore, though, but the sheer length it took to get there was scary as hell.

What are we talking here, hours? Days? Weeks? Are you still flying there as we speak?

I remember Freelancer had a weird thing like this. Most of the planets or stars you could actually fly up to and would start burning up in the atmosphere and then crash if you got too close. But there was one semi-secret alien system that was just full of nothing but odd elongated asteroids all pointing at a distant star, along with a bunch of random alien ships, and some radiation that steadily damaged your ship. Decent for farming alien weapons but nothing else, if I recall correctly. Anyway, it was possible in this one system only to fly out to that distant star, which took a while, maybe 15 minutes or so, and then actually bump into it with no ill effects. I guess the devs though that no one would ever bother flying out that far so they never checked to see if it had the 'blow up when you touch this' trigger enabled. Totally pointless, but it amused me when I was younger.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Asehujiko posted:

The fallout 2 one instance starts out pretty believable, because teleporting "dead" npcs to a hidden location because the engine can't handle them actually being gone sounds exactly like the shoddy coding Black Isle Studios is known for.

Which page is this on? I've read through the whole thread but it's been a while. I searched though about 20 odd pages on the start and end of the thread right now but I couldn't find fallout 2 anywhere.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

That's what I get for doing a ctrl+f fallout 2 on every page. Thanks!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

ChuckDHead posted:

Personally I find stuff like GTA's Blue Hell creepier than any of the "creepypasta" stories. Those big silent open expanses just feel wrong somehow, in a subtle way that crap like "and then amongst the glitching graphics, I saw what the previous owners of this cartridge (whose faces were forever captured in the Game Over screen) must also have seen: the haunted NES game showed me the date I would die and it was today" can never manage.

True. I've always found outside of level areas in games to be vaguely creepy. From the first time I discovered the noclipping commands in doom and ran out into the hall-of-mirrors it's always been something I find sort of fascinating.

There's probably some deep psychological reason behind it. At a guess, I'd say it's probably something to do with how mentally invested you are in the game's world. If you're at all immersed in it, then at some level your mind is reacting to it like it would to a real thing. So glitching through a wall and into a black void or whatever gives you a hint of the sort of feeling you'd get if you walked around a corner and found not a hallway but just an empty hole in the world. Obviously not to the same extent, because you're fully aware that you're playing a game. But still, at some deep level you get a tickle of the same thing.

It would be pretty neat if someone could actually build a game around this, but I don't know if it would be really possible. The problem is that the whole feeling revolves around the idea that you have gotten somewhere you're not supposed to be. It's the thrill of exploring something that isn't the pre-built and carefully designed path that the designer wants you to be on, but instead something not built for you to ever see. There's also the fun sense of danger when you're walking around on paths not designed for walking on and could just fall out of the world without warning. It's just about impossible to design something like that intentionally, and players wouldn't accept it anyway.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

NovaPolice posted:

The talk of hiding creepy things in a game reminds me of the Hondo maps from the Action Half Life mod. They're pretty much exactly that: an actual series of strange interconnected secrets hiding in the middle of a deathmatch FPS mod, complete with odd methods of finding them that sound like rumors from gamefaqs.

A good documentation of one of the Hondo maps is here. The weirdness of Hondo maps reminds me of these video-game short stories, except they focus more about the weird stuff than SPOOKINESS, and they don't overplay their hands.
I mean, the Hondo maps do have a vague storyline about some otherwordly force, but they never play it like the "evil videogame ghosts are going to invade the world" or that sort of crap "creepypasta" is usually about. They're these rather neat, interactive puzzles with a sometimes unsettling theme, and I wish more mappers hid stuff like that in their work.

Oh man, now I'm having AHL flashbacks from spending hours trying to work out those crazy secrets on Hondo's maps. Me and some friends actually did legitimately get to the end of the secret in NoCredit, I think. And most of the way through the one in Endless Rain. NoCredit just ends by dumping you in a tiny room with a light above you and no way out, unless I was just missing something. I spent a lot of time just noclipping around his maps trying to work out what the hell was going on with them. That guy was an insane genius.

That article's brilliant too. The guy is totally right. A deathmatch map without people running and gunning all the time is inherently creepy. Especially AHL maps, since they were mostly stark industrial cityscapes. Now I feel the urge to go boot up a Hondo map again and take another crack at it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, that 5 am thing is really interesting, and I'd also be interested in reading a write up/watching a video of someone who actually made it all the way through (if anyone has?).

I couldn't find much on it after some searching. It suffers from being popular in the days before youtube existed. All I can find is a video of someone playing out the secret in ahl_er2 which is another Hondo map. Split up into tiny 1 - 2 minute segments, for some dumb reason, but the first one is here if anyone is curious. To even get into the secret, you have to drag a random chair halfway across the level and then carefully shove it off a bridge into a big tank of water and jump in after it. So that's the level of 'secret' you normally get with Hondo maps.

I did find this ancient guide to doing most of the ahl_5am secret, but even that guy never figured out the end, and that guide is so old you can only get there through the web archive.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I remember beating the one which starts in a sort of run down street, with a gas station that you get inside by sniping a roadsign It's one of his mental "mad god" metaplot ones. You shoot the sign, then run through some stairs in a nearby building. Race down some more stairs while a massive earthquake goes off, then you fall into darkness forever. Swim down (or up. I forget) till you appear in a sort of hotel lobby full of corpses and blood on the walls.

Soon, an elevator appears, then explodes dropping you into acid water. You may die here. There's a trick to it but I've long forgotten. This seems to be a deadend, until a massive eyeball explodes out of one of the fleshy walls, screams and you start to die. Kill the eyeball, go past him, work your way through an underwater maze in darkness then you fall, again, into a small house covered in anime posters. outside is a mailbox and some pavement slabs leading off into nowhere, if theres anything after here, I never found it

This is definitely ahl_nocredit. I remember shooting the sign from the wooden plank bridge and running down the dark shaky staircase. I'm sort of sure that I finished this one at some point, although on the other hand, I think the very last room you can get to is just a little tiny one person wide tube with a light on the top of it, and you can't seem to get anywhere else from there. On the other hand, this may be a red herring that I found by noclipping around, because I can't recall how to get there.

For the people struggling through ahl_5am, there's this ancient guide which will tell you pretty much everything you need to do to get in to the 5 o'clock room. The guy never figured out how to get past there, and I don't know if anyone has ever solved whether you can get in to 9 o'clock or not.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Yeah, these sound really cool. Can anyone give me a rundown on what exactly it is? I understand it's a actionhalflife mod made by some dude. However, what's with all the puzzle solving? It seems like you guys are just saying "Shoot random pixel in this room to open up door but must jump 3 times or you'll be teleported back to the start". Sounds interesting but I feel like I'm missing something. Can anyone go into more detail about what exactly you guys are talking about?

It's some maps for the mod action half-life. The discussion started a few pages back when this article was linked. They're just AHL deathmatch maps if played normally. But if you happen to know the right spots to shoot or poke at, you can get into these crazy extremely creepy secrets hidden away beneath them.

Back in the days when I played AHL a lot, it wasn't uncommon to hop into a server with one of his maps and get told off for trying to deathmatch because people were doing the secret. More common was people trying to do them while everyone else was deathmatching, and getting shot at and raging about it. Ah, the good old days.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I decided to go poke around the old Hondo AHL maps and take some random screenshots for goons that can't or don't want to get a working copy of AHL.

Part of the ahl_nocredit secret

And the nocredit house in the void

Interior of said house

Part of the original endless rain secret

Another part. The shot doesn't do it justice, the whole room rotates around you

The almighty clock from ahl_5am

An example of some of the eye destroying visuals in these secrets. The whole thing spins around, and your character also constantly spins even when standing still in this room.

Another random bit of 5am

PEAR SMASH!

A room from the secret in ahl_blockwar, yet another Hondo map

And this is part of endless rain 2, I think? At this point I realized taking screenshots of 10 year old maps to post on forums had exceeded my nerd quotient for the day, so I stopped

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Edit: ^^^^ HDHouse does, cliff2snow does not, since it was a remake of someone else's map.

BungMonkey posted:

pre:
12/14/2011 - 20:21:48: <BungMonkey> BobTheJanitor helped get that thread hijack going.
12/14/2011 - 20:22:01: <Varinger> Bob!
12/14/2011 - 20:22:03: <Varinger> I miss him :(
12/14/2011 - 20:22:10: <Varinger> He never played after the DoD went down :(

Heh. Yeah well, not a lot of people playing AHL any more. I think the dev team killed the community themselves when they decided that instead of going to HL2 that UT2K3 was the future. Good to see that some of the old school are still around and kicking.

We just need someone to track Hondo down and buy him a forum account and then slap him until he coughs up all the secrets of the old maps.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Grilox posted:

Since you're commenting over your videos, Let's Play might be the best place to put the thread.

Although they are pretty touchy there about new threads, from what I've seen. Maybe browsing the rules and figuring out the customs of the forum might be wise before tossing up a new thread.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

For shame. Link the excellent goon made LP instead.

Thread for that whole LP is here if anyone wants more. It's locked at the moment while they work on recording new content. But still, quite an enjoyable LP all told. Their L4D1 videos were great too.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Kasonic posted:

This might've been sarcastic, but it's because some intern has to write them well before launch. The World of Warcraft manual and strategy guide infamously detailed several completely removed locations and features like Plainsrunning that didn't even make it into open beta.

Yeah, and it mentioned "dishonor" for ganking low level players, which led to much hilarity or rage at Blizzard, depending on which end of the gank you were on.

WoW lost all its potential for fun exploration and urban legend-ish things when they took out wall jumping though.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

1stGear posted:

So I've been replaying the original Half-Life, discovering that it still holds up pretty drat well, and got to the On A Rail chapter. When you first encounter the signs that redirect the tracks, I decided to initially ignore flipping them for the correct route and do a bit of exploring. A few moments later, I jumped off the track to poke down a side route I didn't remember from my childhood, only to be greeted by inexplicable screaming sounds.

This just reminded me of another Half-Life 1 oddity that I'd almost forgotten about. There is one spot right at the start of the game where it seems like Gordon speaks. Although it doesn't make much sense. It's near the start so it's easy to test it out. It's right before you start the resonance cascade. Get up to the point where they want you to shove the sample cart into the reactor, and just wait. It only takes a minute or so, and then some voice that doesn't really sound like any of the other scientists says "What is he doing in there?" to which one of the scientist voices replies "Nothing you need to worry about, Gordon." It's really odd, and it's not referenced anywhere else in the game. It's remained a mystery ever since I noticed it years ago.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I think the scientist is telling Gordon to remain calm about what the other voice said.

That's probably it. I found someone who'd put it up on youtube with an overly sensational title: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUo5S2SAjD4

I assume it's supposed to be the scientists talking together, but the VA delivering the 'nothing you need to worry about, Gordon' line makes it sound a whole lot like he's responding to a direct question. Probably just bad direction when the lines were being recorded, but it still weirded me out the first time I noticed it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Hey you guys might appreciate this; 9:05 is a short, fun little Infocom style game. Takes about ten minutes to play, and has a twist at the end that reminded me of Pale Luna.

Adam Cadre is a pretty cool guy. If there's anyone here old enough to have memories of playing Zork as a youngster, I recommend playing his game Shrapnel. I don't want to spoil it, but it's definitely going to feel like Zork I and then get... weird.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Quarex posted:

Missile Command in an abandoned arcade near closing time was probably a near-paralyzingly-terrifying experience for some people

The thing about Missile Command that no one really thinks about any more is that it's pretty much supposed to be terrifying. It was created in the middle of the cold war, and the whole point of the game is that you're defending a few defenseless cities against a nuclear onslaught that never stops, and that no matter how long you play you're eventually going to lose all the cities. They very intentionally didn't have it say 'game over' at the end like every single other game in the arcade, but instead put up that big ominous THE END.

One of the developers later wrote about how while creating it he'd have nightmares every night of waking up to the nuclear flash of a nearby city being hit and knowing that he had about 30 seconds before the shock wave arrived. Freaking horrifying.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Kurui Reiten posted:

Shrapnel and 9:05 were pretty good; Shrapnel more so, just because of how hosed up it ended being.

I've really liked most of the games that guy put together. There's also Photopia which is a pretty interesting piece. It's a bit longer than the others, and much more likely to leave you feeling pretty melancholy at the end. If anyone plays through it, be sure to play it with color.

He also wrote a novel called "Ready, Okay!" which opens with the line "The day I turned sixteen years old I had no idea that in four months nearly everyone I cared about would be dead. Unburdened by this foreknowledge, it was with a free and unclouded spirit that I went down to the DMV and failed my driving test." It's pretty great as well, but unsurprisingly it ends on a bit of a downer. The mention of 9:05 made me remember all this other stuff of his that I'd forgotten about for years. But I'm starting to sound like a drooling fanboy, and this is getting pretty wide of the topic, so I'll stop.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Did anyone anywhere ever figure out what the heck that plaque in SM64 was supposed to say? The one that supposedly says 'L is real 2041' or something (which it obviously doesn't say). I remember pop fiction did an episode about it a while back, but while they did cover the fact that Luigi isn't really in the game, they just mentioned the plaque and then dropped it. I was hoping someone would come up with some obscure Miyamoto quote about how it actually says 'I like pie' or something.

Most likely it's just random scribbles that mean nothing, since they knew the resolution would be so bad that it wouldn't be readable regardless.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

New pop fiction has been out for like a week. Without this thread to tell me, I forgot to check for it. It's about the completely useless pendant in Dark Souls.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

quiggy posted:

This is an astonishingly bad episode. They bring up one single theory about the pendant, don't even test it out, and then talk about how Dark Souls II might screw with players too. I suspect the pendant is just a prank from the developers but I would've liked them to test a few of the theories out there before declaring Fiction.

Yeah I like it better when they dig up all kinds of crazy schoolyard theories with intricate 30-step processes to go through. I guess maybe they're running out of gaming myths that straddle that line between clearly false and obviously true enough to make an interesting episode out of.

My guess on the pendant is that they probably were planning to do something with it, perhaps a hidden faction, but had to cut it when they started running out of money and dev time (also the reason why Lost Izalith was so shoddy). Disappointing, but it could set up something great in DSII if they play their cards right. Now people are already going to be suspicious that they're being trolled if an identical pendant shows up in the sequel. But maybe this time it actually does do something.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The thread only gets active when a new pop fiction video (that doesn't suck) is posted. Or when someone mentions pokemon again.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Pop Fiction hits a new low.

Instead of watching them bumble their way through this, you could just watch this guy do it in his Portal speedrun in the short time after killing glados and having the screen white out for the ending.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm surprised that ARG is still going on. I remember some initial furor when people thought it was related to HL3, and then the assumption was that it was related to the Steam sale. There's a thread on the Steam forums about it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I did a lot of exploring around where I shouldn't have been in early WoW. Forever sad that they removed the wallwalking exploit. Once managed to scale the mountains around redridge and get into the empty spot on the map north of there, east of the burning steppes/searing gorge area. It was pretty much just a flat plane with repeating red dirt textures. Think I ended up falling in one of those aforementioned deep pits. I've always assumed (with no real knowledge of how they make their maps) that they designed the basic level geometry with a black and white topographical map sort of system. At least I know some old terrain generation programs would do things that way. It allows you to easily paint the map in 2d. The grey scales would be your depth information, and then you just feed it into your rendering program and it spits back 3d hills. An inexplicable deep pit out of nowhere would be the developer accidentally clicking a solid black dot on the map, and the program interpreting that black dot on white space as 'put a pit of maximum depth here'

Also the newman's landing new character thing I'm pretty sure is just a completely made up idea based on the name. It was a kind of creepy little spot, though, back in the early days. You had to go way out of your way to find it, because it was not all that near any zone that touched the ocean, so it required slowly swimming along the outside of the continent for like 5 or 10 minutes to even get there. I think it might still exist, but now it's right next to the stormwind docks, so it's hardly the remote isolated spot it once was.

My biggest success in wallwalking was getting over the scarab wall in one of the early 1.x patches well before Ahn Qiraj unlocked. For the random person reading this who never played WoW, a brief explanation: At the south end of one of WoW's continents is a desert zone called Silithus. When the game launched, this was a clearly unfinished zone. Even getting to it took a while, because the nearest flight point was two zones away. There were no quests here, and early on there weren't even any enemies. It was just a big, empty desert with occasional creepy bug caverns. At the south end of this zone was a giant wall across the desert. A few patches later this would eventually become a pair of raids, but in the early days it was just a big mystery.

So I managed to find an angle from the hills to the side of the wall that allowed me to get on it and over it to the far side. I was sort of expecting just a flat plane, which would make sense. All the dungeons and raids in the game are instanced, so you go through a portal to get to them and are moved to the separate map that is where the real dungeon is located. In the actual game world, the most you might have is a bit of decoration intended to be seen through the portal, and nothing beyond that. But for whatever strange reason, I found that part of the raid was actually located in the world map. Those familiar with AQ know that most of it (the 40 player raid at least) is underground, and that's what I found. The outside temple stuff hadn't been built yet, but there was a cave opening just stuck in the desert. It had all the bug-like silithid decorations, the weird twitching spikes and drip-like glowing bulbs for lighting, and so on. If I recall right, I think all the zone music stopped playing once I left the zone proper, but the caves still had the occasional chittering squishy bug noises. Also they were huuuuuuuge. The raid proper actually dropped bug mounts for players to use inside it, because it was such a long trek from one end to the other. So, yeah, you want to talk about a feeling of trespassing in a big empty place where you're not meant to be, it was there. I think I finally gave up and teleported out of there because it just seemed to go on forever and was pretty unnerving. I guess I should be glad that the C'thun whispers weren't implemented already. (While doing the real raid, sometimes the final boss, which is a Lovecraft knockoff old god, will occasionally whisper you creepy things.) Combined with the lonely feeling of being way off the map and trespassing in alien bug caves, if I'd suddenly gotten a voice clip of 'You... will... die' out of nowhere, I might have needed new pants.

I tried to go back a patch or so later, but the entrance had been sort of 'filled in'. The level geometry of the desert had been extended through it, so while I could still see part of the cave entrance, and even see a bit into it if I angled my camera right, there was no way to get back through.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Gloomy Rube posted:

So what was it like when you actually went there for the first time in the real game? Was it like going back to see it and getting the satisfaction of seeing what it was for, or was it kinda a downer since it didn't live up to your brain's made-up terror?

Not nearly as spooky, unfortunately. Once it's all filled up with enemies every five feet and you're there with 40 people on voice chat it's pretty hard to get any feeling of isolation. But I guess it was kind of satisfying to be able to compare to what I saw and confirm that it really was an early in-progress version that I'd managed to break in to before.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

A singleplayer game would've also meant they could've completely avoided the terrible MMO mechanics.

Yeah that would have helped a lot. I played around in the game way back and got about as far through the story as something in Egypt before I finally gave up. The big killer for me was that every single enemy felt like such a giant HP sponge, and combat just dragged on and on. MMOs do that way too much, and I have no idea why. Sure, maybe you end up with players logging more hours in your game as the little time sinks add up, but it seems more likely to drive people away in the long run.

Really too bad, because I adored the crazy conspiracy world full of zombies and cultists and demons and everything else they could fit in.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

field balm posted:

Just read the left/right game one, that was honestly much better than I've come to expect from reddit. The 'exploration log' format really works for me

Yeah it's not bad, I also just read through it while catching up on this thread. It drags a bit towards the middle when the story starts becoming about conflict between the characters instead of the weird spooky stuff, but that's a trap that almost all horror writers fall into eventually. It rights itself by the end, and even manages to have a somewhat satisfying ending, which is quite hard to do with an 'exploration into mystery' type of story.

Not Operator posted:

Incidentally, has there been a ghost story thread on SA since GBS 2.0?

Good question. I haven't touched GBS in years since it turned into chud heaven. The ghost story thread was the worst casualty of that inexplicable change. I wonder if 50FA is still around or if the winter finally got him.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Puppy Time posted:

I kind of liked the character conflict, although the "irrationally rational" skeptic character was sooooo weak (then again, I also really hate that trope)

Yeah the conflict with said character was part of what I found kind of annoying. I'm enjoying the weird spooky story, I don't want to stop that thread to read about a non-spooky crazy person being a violent rear end in a top hat.

razorrozar posted:

the exploration log format can be done badly, but when it's done well, it really loving works. the example that always comes to mind for me is SCP-03, which has some of the best world-building ive ever experienced in writing.

This is always the quintessential example of a good exploration SCP. A slow burn without ever dragging. Just enough details to keep you curious but never quite pulling back the curtain enough. There's a real conflicting feeling of 'oh my god don't open that next door' and 'I've got to know what's through that next door' throughout the whole thing. Although I think later revisions of it probably over-explained some stuff near the end, but it's a hard line to walk between vague confusion and giving away too much, and tons of SCPs have trouble with that balance.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Re: Gone Home chat

There was definitely some abuse in the father's past in Gone Home, but at the time the story takes place, he seems to be coming to terms with it and his life is improving. It's likely that he's got a new, better novel coming and has a publisher lined up. Also you can find that mom was coming close to the idea of cheating with a coworker, but then stepped away from that. The actual reason that the parents are gone when you're there is that they're off on a marriage counseling retreat. The ending isn't exactly 'they lived happily ever after', but it does at least give every character the possibility of a better future. Sam and Lonnie you could argue either way, but them finding their way into a couple of jobs and a dinky apartment isn't wildly fantastic to imagine. The person with the least interesting ending is probably your PoV character, Katie. She's just home from her international adventure and gets to spend a dull week unpacking alone.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Noita was mentioned a few pages back, and people are still finding weird as hell things in it. Here's another that sounds straight out of 'a game I found at a garage sale with a blank cartridge and blast processed skeletons' Weird runes that show up if you fill certain basins hidden around the world with various liquids like acid, blood, potions, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmOnScq75Y

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm not sure I'd really recommend Noita for casual fun quite yet, even with all the interesting weirdness in it. At the moment, in early access, it's still pretty rough around the edges. It's a roguelike, so death is expected, but it's got some pretty wild difficulty spikes and it's not unusual to drop down to a new level and immediately be accosted by 5 flying dudes pelting you with projectiles that impair your mobility, almost unavoidably killing you in short order. That said, it could easily turn into a pretty good game in time, but it's not there yet. And I've been burned by enough early access games with promise that never improve and are eventually abandoned, to be pretty leery. The usual early access rule of thumb is to make sure you're happy with the version of the game as-is right now before you slam the purchase button, because there's no guarantee it will ever change. But if you have a high tolerance for RNG bullshit deaths, or just don't mind dropping 15 bucks or whatever it is on a possible lemon, then go for it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Yeah I didn't want to give the impression that Noita is terrible or anything. Just didn't want anyone to get drawn in by the interesting weirdness and then find out that the basic gameplay isn't their jam. I've had a bit of fun with the current semi-janky version of it, and I'm not too worried that it's going to end up as an abandoned mess. But I know the possibility is always there. Even games made by cool game devs with previous successes who are goons can fail. (cf. Clockwork Empires)

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

PinheadSlim posted:

And after the Dream Daddy community tore into Ding Dong for saying anything bad about it, I just can't even stand to watch him anymore. That's when I couldn't just be like "Well almost all entertainers are like that so..."

yeah most entertainers somehow manage to not make gaysploitation games that have communities that attack gay game developers lol

I must have missed this drama, so now I'm curious. But I'm not about to google "dream daddy ding dong" at work.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Yeah every time I happen across a likeable, quality LPer or youtube personality I'm always kind of afraid that I'm going to find out that they're actually a horrible racist/sexist/homophobe/transphobe/etc. I'm almost tempted to never check up on them and leave it a mystery. Let them be Schrödinger's youtube cat, simultaneously both woke and racist until you open the box and collapse the wave function. But yeah I never got into the grumps anyway so I guess I didn't miss too much.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I came across the hondo action hl map secrets youtube videos in my recommendations the other day, and was halfway through watching them before I remembered that they came from a goon in this thread, and I'd provided some of the info that went into them. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

There was that hidden room in Arkham Asylum that no one found until the devs started dropping hints. I'm not sure what tricks they employed to keep datamining from finding it, but for whatever reason no one figured it out.