Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
It's an advert for Fosters, so not exactly difficult to boycott. TBH, I think I'd rather eat the chicken feet than down a pint of that piss lager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I usually turn to other tabs while the first ads play on 4od, because one minute twenty seconds looking at something that does not immediately please me is too much. Then I hear what sounds like a child retching. 'Good,' I think. 'Time for Peep Show'. It's oddly fitting.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Adam said on the latest podcast that he is hoping to have Joe as a guest for a Christmas episode. Also S3 of The Bridge starts on BBC4 this Saturday

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ms Boods posted:

Ah hahahaha -- I was in place and teaching at my current university for about two months before I had a key to my own office.

What probably happened is that the nurse ignored IG best practice and the frustrated pleas of the IT dept. And used her login to get the files for the Dr.

Why yes, I do work in NHS IT.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Surely I'm not the only person in the thread enjoying the return of Toast. I can't quite put my finger on what is so good about 'Ray loving Purchase' but looking forward to more.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Fat Turkey posted:

Surely I'm not the only person in the thread enjoying the return of Toast. I can't quite put my finger on what is so good about 'Ray loving Purchase' but looking forward to more.

Whatsit's egg and bacon tam was awesome.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SHUT UP, RAY PURCHASE!

I'm so glad Toast is back, I can't think of any programme quite like it.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Toast is really lazily written imo (just the same 4 or 5 jokes repeated ad nauseam) but the great cast saves it. If Matt Berry put as much effort into it as his bucolic prog albums it'd be a classic.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Al2001 posted:

Toast is really lazily written imo (just the same 4 or 5 jokes repeated ad nauseam) but the great cast saves it. If Matt Berry put as much effort into it as his bucolic prog albums it'd be a classic.

That's part of the charm I think? Yeah. Definitely part of the charm.

But yeah, good start to the series. Poor Patrick Stewart.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love Toast for the dialogue, Berry's sublime delivery, and Ray bloody Purchase being absolutely everywhere.

Oh and the names. Everyone has a fantastic name.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I didn't think I'd like Toast but have been really getting into it. Even when the jokes aren't that funny, Matt Berry has such great delivery that it just works.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

netally posted:

Matt Berry has such great delivery that it just works.

I think that goes for him in general. None of what he does should work, but it does. We're going to see him perform live in December and I can't bloody wait.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I still cant watch this one without giggling, the best of the matt berru shorts http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02j53t4/funny-valentines-matt-berry-wild-love

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I found this weeks HIGNFY quite funny

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Fluo posted:

I found this weeks HIGNFY quite funny

I was impressed at Reese-Mogg keeping his cool.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
The love I once had for Matt Berry has soured in my belly, the surreal posh foghorn schtick just doesn't do it for me any more.

Did anyone watch that Adele thing? I can't decide whether it looks good or a bit weird.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is anyone watching London Spy, a fictionalization of that guy found dead in a holdall a few years ago? It's pretty silly.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Did anyone watch The Coroner? loving awful. So she's a coroner which apparently gives her all the rights and roles of a police officer, she never does an autopsy she's just handed the results, she's a god-awful mother and having a weird kind of emotional affair which everyone seems to think is just fine, and who the gently caress is Clint??

London Spy IS a bit silly, but it's ten thousand times better

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Wormophile posted:

Did anyone watch that Adele thing? I can't decide whether it looks good or a bit weird.

It's good, there's a bit where she puts on a prosthetic face and then goes to an adele-impersonator audition session.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nettle Soup posted:

It's good, there's a bit where she puts on a prosthetic face and then goes to an adele-impersonator audition session.

That sounds like an extremely self-important thing to do.

My illusion of Adele as a friendly humble lady is shattered.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Steve2911 posted:

That sounds like an extremely self-important thing to do.

My illusion of Adele as a friendly humble lady is shattered.

She's also a Tory who whines about how much tax she pays, despite being incredibly rich, if that helps.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Al2001 posted:

She's also a Tory who whines about how much tax she pays, despite being incredibly rich, if that helps.

Like an upmarket Mylene Klass.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Al2001 posted:

Yeah, for my emotional wellbeing I keep that info locked away in some darkened part of my brain.

You were right it was quite good! Bit naff but quite good.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
David Attenborough of all people just used the word "literally" in his new show where he meant "figuratively" (something about a bird catching a fish being "literally" the devil) and now I have given up all hope. It is lost to us forever.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Joramun posted:

David Attenborough of all people just used the word "literally" in his new show where he meant "figuratively" (something about a bird catching a fish being "literally" the devil) and now I have given up all hope. It is lost to us forever.

How do you know the bird wasn't the devil?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Angrymog posted:

I was impressed at Reese-Mogg keeping his cool.

I just can't stay angry at him, even though he's a poo poo, he just seems so hilariously out of touch with reality.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The OED added figuratively as an extra definition of literally in its last revision. David is on solid ground.
Hopefully the definitions of literally will continue to grow until it becomes a word like Squanch (Sup' Rick and Morty fans!)

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DaWolfey posted:

The OED added figuratively as an extra definition of literally in its last revision. David is on solid ground.
Hopefully the definitions of literally will continue to grow until it becomes a word like Squanch (Sup' Rick and Morty fans!)

"Literally" has been used as a hyperbolic intensifying adjective since the 17th century. But it's been useful in detecting boring pedants and pseuds for at least a century.

e:also, you squanch your mother with that mouth?

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 25, 2015

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

DaWolfey posted:

Providing you're not squanching your family, we'll let you off.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Cuffs is the late-era Brookside of police dramas, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Cuffs is the late-era Brookside of police dramas, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It's overproof madness and that's why I kinda love it. It's like watching a year of The Bill on fastforward.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's like watching a year of The Bill on fastforward.

Hahahaha, that is the perfect description.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Nice Fourth Doctor cameo in Toast of London last night.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Joramun posted:

It was about flying fish being chased by birds from above and fish from below. The phrase was 'between the devil and the deep blue sea', which is half literal at least. If he had said figuratively he would have been half wrong too.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Joramun posted:

The first time I remember 'Literally' being used as a thing was in some early series of Peep Show. I wonder if it's modern genesis sprang from that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VV I know that, but I wonder whether it being on a culty show like Peep Show got it kickstarted again.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 27, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rondette posted:

The first time I remember 'Literally' being used as a thing was in some early series of Peep Show. I wonder if it's modern genesis sprang from that.

Like someone said earlier in the thread, "literally" being used as an intensifying adjective has been around for literally (:v:) centuries.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rondette posted:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VV I know that, but I wonder whether it being on a culty show like Peep Show got it kickstarted again.

I seriously doubt it. Americans have been pretty into it for a good while now

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Poor Jamie Redknapp always got the most brunt for his use of the word - http://www.parryphernalia.com/?p=44

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

EL BROMANCE posted:

Poor Jamie Redknapp always got the most brunt for his use of the word - http://www.parryphernalia.com/?p=44
Like Alan Hansen, always using "unbelievable" to describe football things which are very believable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Did anyone watch The Coroner? loving awful. So she's a coroner which apparently gives her all the rights and roles of a police officer, she never does an autopsy she's just handed the results, she's a god-awful mother and having a weird kind of emotional affair which everyone seems to think is just fine, and who the gently caress is Clint??

London Spy IS a bit silly, but it's ten thousand times better

I've not watched the show, but a coroner doesn't perform autopsies you are thinking of a pathologist.