Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Getting back into The Only Way Is Essex, I can't believe there are 9 series already. I'm just now finishing series 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Man, I watch some power of awful TV, yet you have me beat.

Why do you do this to yourself?
The depths of my self-loathing are immeasurable.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I should watch Luther, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Since I'm a terrible person, I enjoyed the first 2 seasons of The Only Way Is Essex. My question is, with 7 seasons up on Hulu, at what point does the show no longer even have entertainment value?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 6, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've been watching 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and I think I'm in love with Rachel Riley. :allears:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ponce de Le0n posted:

You don't know if i've met her or not paperhouse.
Have you met Rachel Riley? Because she's not married.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just finished watching through all the episodes of 8 out of 10 Cats since Jon Richardson joined the show. The episode immediately following Jimmy Carr's tax scandal was pure gold.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Big Taff Man posted:

I went to see him live based on seeing him on 8 out of 10, and all the things Jimmy Carr makes fun of him for seem to be true. He's really ocd, at the start he put a hat stand at one side of the stage and a table at the other, and said it was so when he got stressed he starts pacing back and forth and if he didnt have things to stop him he'd end up just walking off stage. Then in the middle of his big closing the 1st half story he stopped at a crucial part because he got distracted by the shapes the microphone wire was making on the floor.
That's the venue's fault for not providing him with a wireless mic. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I loving love the Graham Norton Show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched the first episode of The Thick of It and didn't really like it, but I love Veep. What's going on? :ohdear:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

What's wrong with the lighting or makeup though? Everyone looked sick in these two episodes. They somehow managed to make Rachel Riley look bad, it's unbelievable.
Watching the first episode, I think it's primarily makeup. I can't imagine they changed the studio lights, but it's perfectly reasonable they got a new makeup artist.

More flattering picture, still terrible makeup:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 13, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thehustler posted:

She's spunky. People like that.
She's like if Kate Beckinsale was a meth head.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Was Broadchurch really popular in the UK?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it wrong for me to love the Graham Norton Show?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought this thread liked Victoria Coren?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

KoldPT posted:

Katherine Ryan's incredibly funny, but she's not really British.
I like her on panel shows, and I by panel shows I mean the only ones I really know about are QI and 8 out of 10 Cats (does Countdown). I checked out some of her stand up on Youtube and it's just okay.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

Oh, there was a QI Christmas special? You just made my day, sir!
I was about to ask, other than Doctor Who and Top Gear, what other high profile Christmas specials should an American check out?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

A friend of mine stayed with an ex of Brooker's in London once. She showed him a copy of one of his books he'd sent her, which was signed with something along the lines of 'To xxxxx, I bet you thought this would be all about you, didn't you? You were great at sucking cock though. Charlie Brooker'
Somehow that seems like precisely something he would do. What a oval office.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jack Whitehall's dialogue with Chico during the Big Fat Anniversary Quiz was amazing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Is Izzard serious about running for London mayor?
How are there so many Conservatives in power when literally every Brit I know is anti-Tory?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 7, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched Iain Stewart's Earth series. I can't stand his face or voice; he reminds me of Wormtail from Harry Poter. And the programme wase educationally lacking.

Basically I want those 5 hours back.

Also I tried to watch How Not to Live Your Life and had to cut loose after 5 minutes.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 11, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Joe Wilkinson is unfunny trash and I don't understand why they put him on 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I feel kinda trashy for liking Pienaar's Politics.

woops wrong thread

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 23, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/02/the-apprentice-us-lord-sugar-donald-trump_n_7711106.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Seems like Sugar is in talks to replace Trump as host of the US Apprentice, I'm not sure how people in the US will react towards this of course.
Nobody here in the US has heard of him.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How is Bake Off so popular? It feels like a top 3 show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Happy Valley is back and grim as ever.

Absolute garbage, but hilariously grim.
So... I should watch?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

If you love tone whiplash, yes.
I watched season 1 a while back and thought it was pretty good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Evans said anything less than 5 million viewers would be a disappointment.

They got 4.34 million.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How did Chris Evans get the Top Gear job in the first place? Is he really that popular on radio? Who even listens to him? Tory Brexiters?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jedward

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched Friday's episode of Graham Norton.

Michael McIntyre was on.

It was the first time I'd seen him, though I'd obviously heard of him.

I now hate him with the fury of a thousand suns.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thehustler posted:

I'm gonna make a nerdy thread over in the science subforum about broadcast TV technology and things like links and satellite delays and production and stuff. Or maybe it works better here? I dunno.

Anyway, expect nerdy chats of a level Applemask and TV Forum would be proud of. Unless it bombs.
It should be in TV IV.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If I were to watch The Missing, do I start with episode 1? Are the two seasons linked?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Captain Mediocre posted:

Has there been anything on British telly recently that isn't poo poo? Not really interested in The Missing or crime detective stuff in general.

Other than Planet Earth it's been ages since I've seen anything worthwhile on literally any channel. Poldark was ok but thats gone now.
I don't even watch Cats Countdown anymore. :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just finished The Missing s1e1. I went on IMDB to see how old the actor playing the boy was and inadvertently saw that the inspector is apparently the recurring character through season 2, which is great news because the actor playing the dad, I hate his stupid face so so much.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

Series 1 and 2 are only loosely related, you could watch either on its own. I think I preferred the second one overall it was a fun ride and an intriguing mystery
Oh hey it's Lydia from Breaking Bad. :3:

Jumped ahead and just finished s2e1 and that last line. :tviv:

Much happier without James Nesbitt's stupid face all up in my... face.

This is the first thing I've really seen Keeley Hawes in since Spooks and... oof.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Finished s2 of The Missing. Partway through e7 I assumed there weren't any more twists, and it was a slow patch so I decided to read the episode summary on Wikipedia. Big mistake.

After e7 finished, I read the e8 summary. I guess I was one episode early, because that was the expected denouement.

Very excellent. Not sure I'm willing to go back and watch the James Nesbitt s1 though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Pissflaps convinced me and I'm watching it now but it's not on series catchup so I started on S02E04 and have to assume what's happening.
You should read the e1-3 summaries ASAP lest you miss something important: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Missing_(TV_series)#Series_2_episodes

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 2, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kin posted:

I'm just getting around to watching the second series of Humans but despite liking the first series, i can't help but think that Westworld has really made this look like poo poo.

It's like a novelty knockoff of a show trying to depict almost the exact same themes, but doing so in such a hamfisted way.

I just finished episode 2 and i don't think i can be really bothered watching the rest of it if it's going to be the same trite garbage.
Ironically, many in the Westworld thread were complaining that Humans had done the concept before and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

I've not watched either but surely the original Westworld predates Humans by over 40 years.
Yes but the original Westworld movie was a crap movie about a killer robot and nothing more.