Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
He made one great film and then you never saw him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paperhouse posted:

Try watching Limmy's Show series 2 to "get" him. I realise that sounds stupid and annoying but I didn't like him either before I watched his show and "got" him. I think Stanhope is alright too, though a lot of people seem to dislike him.
Series two was a tad weaker than the first in my opinion. Mainly because new characters felt bland and uninteresting. Series three is a mixed blessing, too, stuffed with inside jokes based on Limmy's twitter conversations and such fanwank. They kind of work as random humour even without context, but I wouldn't call it an improvement. Series one was more refined and all in all worked better on telly than it could have as silly youtube videos. If one doesn't enjoy Limmy's brand of awkward humour, there's nothing that can change that. Note: I am one of those rare people who don't care much about his stand-up but love the show.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think you mean Sucky Fucky Panic, gaijin; western audiences couldn't handle the real Super Hornio Bros 2. :smugbert:
And Dildo was actually transsexual, yeah.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Taff posted:

Bit cynical this. Ross is a real tough guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZz1W5tK4P4
I'm sorry.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Crankit posted:

I think you're introduced a double negative there, but I agree he doesn't sound much at all like Ross Kemp.

Oh, he can do much, much worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iqXbAApIVQ

From a certain point in his career, I think, Culshaw went completely deaf and slightly visually impaired. Actually, the only good impression by him that I can remember now is the fourth Doctor. And probably Sir Patrick Moore.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Stare-Out posted:

All the old-timey stuff from Enfield and Whitehouse were the best, none more so than the Basic Instinct sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVOZnDsiCW8
This one is still favourite. Ah... Good times.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If Theroux's new documentary on Scientology will be at least half as good as his WBC ones, I smell a well-deserved BAFTA for once.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ookiimarukochan posted:

The reason that a UK version of their stuff wouldn't work is that we don't have the type of "news" programme that they are parodying. You may as well complain that the US doesn't have anyone competent enough to run a local equivalent to Private Eye, which is a more legitimate gripe.

Did you mean Brass Eye?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just wanted to pop in and confirm that Inside Nimber 9 is absolutely fantastic. Carry on.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Are there actually any people who like him at all? Who are they? Extremely liberal self-loathing Catholics? Americans who like everything British because they can't understand the accent?
I really hope he ends up somewhere in New Zealand thus minimising the damage.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Scarfe of the week

Ah yes, Johnson's most obvious feature, his mosquito-like proboscis.

Penguin visits Wayne manor and is greeted by Alfred.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Louis theroux is great, but a documentary about stray dogs in LA is difficult to care much about.
The next one is going to be much more engaging.

Louis posted:

Louis visits LA’s most famous hospital, the Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre in West Hollywood, where he meets patients battling for their lives against serious illnesses.
America spends a huge amount on health care and a hefty proportion goes on end of life care, with a wide and expensive array of treatments on offer to those with insurance or who qualify for government funded programmes. Louis talks to patients and their families as they face some of the toughest decisions imaginable – whether to accept death and die in relative comfort, or to gamble on further, possibly painful treatment in the hope that it will cure them or prolong their life. He also talks to the doctors whose job it is to guide people through this traumatic process.
Over several months Louis explores the American way of death, which often involves never giving up and keeping faith right to the end.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The most amazing part to me was Lanston's relatives. They all were so confident he was going to be fine, so calm, almost :smug:. Oh, pft, you know nothing, he'll get better in no time. And it really looked like a horrible denial that would hit them later when the gravity of the situation finally catches up with them... Yet they were right all along somehow. I am not ashamed to admit this episode made me cry a bit.

Also, I can't imagine how Louis manages it. I assume during those several months he had to spent half a day with dying people, with their sorrows and pain, then go to see dog owners obsessed or disillusioned with their pets only to end the day with meeting some sex offenders. All that, while maintaining his usual veneer of friendly inquisitiveness and somewhat awkward compassion.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Trickjaw posted:

This Theroux think on sex offenders in the US is certainly food for thought. Also, not one Corrie actors whatsoever.

Truly, a heart-wrenching episode. If anything, it shows that there has to be more detailed categorisation involved in this type of offence. On surface, it's horribly wrong and unfair when a crime committed in a moment of personal darkness, the lowest point in life as a result of variety of unfortunate circumstances just leaves you with no hope for normal existence, never mind how hard you repent or how much you've already paid for it. But that said, I realise that neither I or anyone I know and care about on a personal level have ever suffered from people like that, and it's easy to forgive someone when you are not the one being wronged. It feels like in most cases you can either be biased or completely incompetent when it comes to things like that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Taff posted:

Is the Theroux episode really quite good, because I thought the first two were boring

The first episode didn't do it for me either, but I loved the second one. The third episode is easily on par with his previous documentary on institutionalised child molesters.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Trickjaw posted:

I cannot abide Gervais, so I haven't watched it (can't even stand the adverts) but from them it seems like its just depending on laughing at mentally ill people, with just enough pathos that it isn't retard blackface. Is that about the size of it?
About right. Except there's hardly anything to laugh at. He tries to be endearing, I guess, but fails horribly.

It only shows that without Merchant Gervais is just really annoying. Merchant's 'Hello, Ladies' was head and shoulders above everything that Gervais spouted in five years.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WastedJoker posted:

So, uh, Martin Freeman does a pretty good accent in Fargo eh?

Oh yaah. I was particularly impressed by it, because the last time I remember him attempting a general American accent, it was on Bruiser ages ago and he was pretty terrible at it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cor :(

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Any excuse to post this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMuO-8S_0Wg

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WastedJoker posted:

Did anyone see Merchant doing a lip-sync battle on Jimmy Fallon a few months ago? It was the best.

Oh, yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ajQ-foj2Q
Gordon Levitt is an obvious winner, by the way.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'll ask it while it's still topical. I enjoyed Still Game, Burnistoun and Limmy's Show, but don't know where to move from there. Any suggestions on Scottish comedy shows?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Alright, just watched the pilot of High Life and it looks promising. I'll get to other suggestions later, I guess. Cheers for that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Oh my god it's back.

The single worst TV show EVER commissioned has returned for a second series.

Ladies and children first into the shelters, because it's the second coming of all that is wrong.

Badults is back.

I knew it's going to be Badults from the first sentence. That's not good at all. :smith:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Taff posted:

He's a diddler.

Its the end of days, expect Noel Edmonds to be next

It'll be Chuckle Brothers, mark my word.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJGbQbdfNDU&t=206s
The signs are always there. But we're too blind to see them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ddraig posted:

Has anyone else been watching Badults? It's a really underrated little show. A bit injokey, with a few jokes from their podcasts, but very enjoyable.

I think the world cup episode with the prolonged Weekend at Bernie's bit was a particular standout.

You're a funny person. What drugs do you take?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'm not entirely unconvinced that Badults is some kind of Springtime For Hitler deal.

Then why isn't it cancelled already?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gaz-L posted:

You never saw that movie, did you?

For some reason thought about Heil Honey I'm Home, sorry.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

:siren:Carcrash TV Alert:siren:

ITV's Judge Rinder is possibly the bestworst daytime TV I have ever seen. Jeremy Kyle's subjects in Judge Judy's court with an incredibly camp ex-barrister presiding.

I am thoroughly ashamed of myself.

People seriously discussed Big Brother personalities on this very page. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't know lads, Nina Conti is alright by my.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSNAi2jB490
I do find her attractive, by the way.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Big Taff Man posted:

Yeah I can think of great comedy actresses but not any stand ups who I like. I dont like Sarah Silverman tbh.

Hear, hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNQQwg_CLts

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mrfart posted:

I'll definitely check it out.

About the missing.
It's great, but gut churning.
Even more so because I'm belgian.
I don't know how many of you realize this, but almost all of this series is filmed in Belgium.
They use a lot of French flags in the background, but it's usually Brussels, Binche, Dinant.
The majority is shot just minutes away from the crime case that changed the country, it's justice and police system forever in the early nineties.
A case so horrible and similar to what this series is about, that I find it very hard to think it wasn't done on purpose.

Can you pick up Belgian accents there or do Belgian actors actually put on French ones for the show?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What I find really compelling about The Missing is how media are shown to directly interfere often damaging the investigation instead of just reporting. Sensationalism around missing children is pretty unsettling.

Re similar cases, I think the show obviously took some inspiration from disappearance of Madeleine McCann, which took place in Portugal.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Seaside Loafer posted:

I dont want to watch that missing thing. Everyone keeps saying what quality it is but it just looks like it would bloody depressing.

It's a well-executed drama and it pulls all the right heartstrings, so if you generally react to dramas that way, I reckon it might be a tad depressing to watch. However, I didn't find it all that gut-wrenching, so I say give it a go anyway.

As a side note, my brother went missing with a friend in Greece when I was about ten and it was hell for the families until both safely returned on their own the next day. The Greece police weren't too keen on looking for them before two days or whatever, and nobody really cared at the hotel. Makes me wonder how realistic the initial reaction of the town in the show was.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
For some unknown reason any prolonged discussion of British television among two or more British men is bound to devolve into discussion of sexual capabilities and preferences. I noticed this two years ago and so far the theory seems to be working.

Still waiting for results on men from Australia and Ireland, though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paperhouse posted:

“It’s in negotiations, I think that’s fair to say,” Jack told the Guardian. “It’s definitely something we are keen to do and [the BBC] feel like they’re keen to do but to say any more may be too difficult.”

so it's almost certainly getting another series as it's been quite a hit. I agree that it probably isn't a good thing for there to be another series though

I just hope they're planning a different story for the next series like Fargo and True Detective did.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kin posted:

But we pretty much do know because that drawing was in the snow.

It's a pretty generic stick figure, though, when you think about it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kin posted:

How do you figure that?

He's been shown drawing this this stick figure in his notepad in the episode.

Anyway, the most unrealistic part of The Missing is how so many French could speak English, let alone understand what the father said.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have no idea why I had some hope that a UK localised version of Drunk History would be worth watching. Take a really fun and simple concept that worked well on US TV and take it to a nation of drunks and bitter people, surely that can only work?

http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/drunk-history/videos/the-nativity-story-with-russell-kane

Hahah of course not, what we get is either a slightly tipsy at most, or plain old really bad acting Russell "Somehow Even More Irritating than Howard" Kane and terrible obvious scripting to make a disaster of a TV show. Congrats, you managed to gently caress up the easiest thing ever in the world. Death of UK comedy continues for another year then...

To be fair, I didn't find the original too good either. I guess you have to be drunk yourself to fully enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Olewithmilk posted:

This advert was just on ITV at 12:30 in the afternoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV4mFpCcyis

Has anyone else seen it? It seems to have gotten past some kind of advertising watchdog.

I knew I've seen this before. Here's the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL4lSavSepc